• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

cripterion

Man the weapon and class unlocks are obtuse. I have no idea how to unlock new optics for my guns. At least BF3 was fairly unfront about that even if it was more of a carrot on stick than CoD.

Multiplayer is fun though, guns that hurt and there is fucking recoil?! Holy shit. I thought that was a long past tradition.

My exact feelings about the unlocks.

Just finished up the campaign and my opinion is as follows. As a fan of MOH 2010's SP even with all of its problems. It seems EA and Danger Close have even done that game a disservice. Story feels like they retried Battlefield 3 but added the characters from 2010's game.

The game took me about 6 hours on normal, which is fine if you ask me. It doesn't wear out its welcome and is just mediocre. It doesn't have the same "feel" as the first game and the tone has changed to a more COD type game. None of the character development is there like it was in the first one and I think that's what killed it for me. I was invested in the characters of the first game cause they made you feel connected to them.

Best level design bar none is "Old Friends" if that long luge area doesn't get made into a MP map someone is stupid.

Martian

Just finished up the campaign and my opinion is as follows. As a fan of MOH 2010's SP even with all of its problems. It seems EA and Danger Close have even done that game a disservice. Story feels like they retried Battlefield 3 but added the characters from 2010's game.

The game took me about 6 hours on normal, which is fine if you ask me. It doesn't wear out its welcome and is just mediocre. It doesn't have the same "feel" as the first game and the tone has changed to a more COD type game. None of the character development is there like it was in the first one and I think that's what killed it for me. I was invested in the characters of the first game cause they made you feel connected to them.

Best level design bar none is "Old Friends" if that long luge area doesn't get made into a MP map someone is stupid.

It doesn't sound like 60 bucks to me

Jawmuncher

]Just finished up the campaign and my opinion is as follows. As a fan of MOH 2010's SP even with all of its problems. It seems EA and Danger Close have even done that game a disservice. Story feels like they retried Battlefield 3 but added the characters from 2010's game.[/B]

Oh god no.
I really liked MOH2010 sotry, but BF3's was pretty garbage.
Sad that the game isn't on par with the first.
Still will try it later on but I have a feeling i'll be agreeing with you.

It doesn't sound like 60 bucks to me

Yeah definitely not $60, but I got mine for $35 and even that's a stretch. For all the pr about the studio trying to go with realistic mission from real "Tier 1's" I can't give this a pass. Its disappointing cause you can see they aren't an incompetent team.

If they would have just stuck with their gun's and made a true sequel to the first it would have been fine. But EA likes to screw with stuff even when they got a pretty good formula going. If you like COD games you'll enjoy it and if you've played BF3 SP (ha who am I joking you didn't, you played MP only) then you can skip the game entirely.

Tau

If there isn't the same depth of character development as the previous MOH, then i'm disappointed :(

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

Story aside, how fun is SP compared to the COD games? My dad enjoys COD SP (but prefers Killzone) and doesn't give a shit about the story. He's always looking for new FPS SP campaigns to play so I was wondering if the MOH games would appeal to him.

Choc

Banned
mission 2 is just insane. EA has balls the size of the moon.

also (spoiler for mission 3 or 4 cant remember number)

the car chase goes on for way to long

Story aside, how fun is SP compared to the COD games? My dad enjoys COD SP (but prefers Killzone) and doesn't give a shit about the story. He's always looking for new FPS SP campaigns to play so I was wondering if the MOH games would appeal to him.

Its a good competent shooter, the mechanic's of the game are very solid. If anything that's the only improvement from the first to this one.

mission 2 is just insane. EA has balls the size of the moon.

also (spoiler for mission 3 or 4 cant remember number)

the car chase goes on for way to long

Yeah that scene went on too long, but wait there is another even longer than that with a cool little mini game.

Why do you say that EA has balls? I just wonder what was so special about mission 2.

Choc

Banned
mission 2

training as a terrorist with your final test being take over the cockpit of a jet, yeah that isn't half controversial in the US is it, its fucking insane :eek:

No russian was crazy enough but yeah the mainstream media will have a bloody field day with that.

mission 2

training as a terrorist with your final test being take over the cockpit of a jet, yeah that isn't half controversial in the US is it, its fucking insane :eek:

No russian was crazy enough but yeah the mainstream media will have a bloody field day with that.

You have a point

I felt it was taking too much from CoD, it kinda dulled my immersion when I realized I was just playing through a CoD level. I will agree that it was interesting, just not as shocking as no russian.

When you are finished with the game try and remember that level and ask yourself did it add anything to the story? I don't want to spoil anything more than that.

mr_nothin

Banned
sorry, internet died so i'm on my phone. ask someone for an origin code from bf3. It plays a lot smoother than the alpha and looks better. Its like the alpha refined a lot more with a lot of progression, like 70 characters for nations...lol

Msg me tomoorow and I'll fill you in. its worth 30 bucks for sure if you liked the alpha like I did. Its hardcore mode is more than bf3`s too

Sorry for the laggy phone mistakes. Unlucky day.

Oh ok thx!
Soooo if anyone has a code they dont mind handing off to me then I'd appreciate it!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So the entire single player campaign is just a tad longer than a single chapter in Resident Evil 6, huh?

U2NUMB

Man the weapon and class unlocks are obtuse. I have no idea how to unlock new optics for my guns. At least BF3 was fairly unfront about that even if it was more of a carrot on stick than CoD.

Multiplayer is fun though, guns that hurt and there is fucking recoil?! Holy shit. I thought that was a long past tradition.

I agree that the multiplayer is pretty damn fun. Seems much more polished than the beta. Still not a fan of the menus or UI in general and like you wished it was more clear on how to unlock stuff.

Choc

Banned
You have a point

I felt it was taking too much from CoD, it kinda dulled my immersion when I realized I was just playing through a CoD level. I will agree that it was interesting, just not as shocking as no russian.

When you are finished with the game try and remember that level and ask yourself did it add anything to the story? I don't want to spoil anything more than that.

i have zero doubt having played i reckon 70% of the game that mission means fuck all, which just means EA did it for shock factor

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
mission 2

Won't even cause a blip in the media I bet.

U2NUMB

I am really enjoying the multiplayer.. I thought the beta was super rough but I went into this with an open mind. I recorded my first game and I think it shows some of the changes since the beta. Different game mode. I will throw up some TDM later.

You can ignore my commentary if you like just sharing my experience so far. (I recorded it at like 4am so I was tired as hell)
MOH: Warfighter - Combat Mission MP

madmackem

I am really enjoying the multiplayer.. I thought the beta was super rough but I went into this with an open mind. I recorded my first game and I think it shows some of the changes since the beta. Different game mode. I will throw up some TDM later.

You can ignore my commentary if you like just sharing my experience so far. (I recorded it at like 4am so I was tired as hell)

Nice one, wouldnt mind some other non beta maps.

U2NUMB

Nice one, wouldnt mind some other non beta maps.

I have a ton recorded. Stuck at work but will throw them up later. I think overall the maps are far better than the last MOH but that did not take much effort. They all seem to have a couple places that everyone tends to gather. Certainly on TDM but I guess that is normal for most shotoers in that mode.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

See this is decent commentary. Will be looking forward to your others when you get time to UL them. That and at least you dont sound like you got a sock in your mouth like some other vid I saw lol

Btw if you dont mind or have not already done so, mind getting in some hardcore match footage with impressions? Am real curious to hear about how that is.

Samus4145

I played a single attack/defend match when it unlocked last night. Game is quite the looker on ultra, but more importantly that one match was way more enjoyable than the entire beta. Maybe it had to do with playing on PC.

U2NUMB

See this is decent commentary. Will be looking forward to your others when you get time to UL them. That and at least you dont sound like you got a sock in your mouth like some other vid I saw lol

Btw if you dont mind or have not already done so, mind getting in some hardcore match footage with impressions? Am real curious to hear about how that is.

Thanks for the comments.. I am normally far more animated as far as range in my voice so hope I can wake up later and sound better on the commentary. I do not have any hardcore recorded but I will make a point to do so when I get home. I am also very curious how it plays out.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Thanks for the comments.. I am normally far more animated as far as range in my voice so hope I can wake up later and sound better on the commentary. I do not have any hardcore recorded but I will make a point to do so when I get home. I am also very curious how it plays out.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

The reason for the interest in hardcore as a lot of the normal mode vids we see, its kinda silly to me watching how a lot of times half a mag is dumped into someone before they drop.

While I know that most likely it will not have this in the mode, something like real mag retention would be nice. Kinda teach people not to hit reload all the time after firing off a few shots. Similar to what we had in the socom franchise. Guys who reload too often wind up with a bunch of half filled mags. lol

Cudder

How many copies did the store have? I'm planning to pick it up in the evening.

Plenty, it looked like they were fully stocked. Pretty sure I was the first one in the day to pick it up. The 40$ deal I believe is until Thursday anyway, I wouldn't worry.

BioHazard

Wait, what? Hold the telephone. How can I get this for $30? I have premium, but bought it like a million years ago. Is it only for recent buyers?

If you like COD games you'll enjoy it and if you've played BF3 SP (ha who am I joking you didn't, you played MP only) then you can skip the game entirely.

I must be the only person who liked the SP campaign in BF3. I played it on PC at release and enjoyed it quite a bit, but nobody else seems to like it

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I must be the only person who liked the SP campaign in BF3. I played it on PC at release and enjoyed it quite a bit, but nobody else seems to like it
I had some fun with it. It's not an amazing campaign, but the impressive audio visual presentation and some cool mission ideas definitely kept me playing. I thought it was a more enjoyable campaign than most of the Call of Duty titles, to be honest.

I actually really enjoyed this mission, for some reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozm4gA0J_-4&feature=player_detailpage#t=161s

Sethos

Banned
If you like COD games you'll enjoy it and if you've played BF3 SP (ha who am I joking you didn't, you played MP only) then you can skip the game entirely.

I disagree. CoD SP is also completely Hollywood but at least I had fun. This is just shit.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Sound issues all over the place, audio keeps popping and crackling. The A.I for team mates is all over the damn place.

Spookie

Few thoughts on the SP: Aim down sights on the PC- Fix the sensitivity already. If you go anything more than iron or red dot it's squirly as hell and incredibly difficult to aim. No FoV slider either. Ugh. Lazy cunts.

The game it's self is incredibly scripted better hidden than the previous game mind. But each mission is little more of a pop up shooter: you'll enter a new area clear it out, breach a door and rinse and repeat. While CoD managed to hide it with 1001 Bay-esq explosions, MoH doesn't have that and it doesn't capture the weight of the Ukraine mission from CoD4 which I think it is going for. Bland is the best way to describe it, I found the BF3 single player more enjoyable and memorable than this so far. Also that video doing the rounds? It's not even the first mission, it's an intro. There are many reasons to give the SP grief but that isn't really one of them. To rake them over the coals for a heavily scripted intro is cynicism on par with 4chan when it comes to EA games.

MP: Guns feel meaty but I feel they do too much damage considering the recoil on some of the guns. Though if you're standing it gives enough recoil to stop the game being a run, pop, run, pop shit fest. It often becomes someone spots someone else at a medium range and drops them before they can react. Fair enough if it's a head shot but often it's just a handful of body shots. Even if you're close to cover it's often not enough time to slide in to it. It feels like I'm being rewarded for reaction times rather than strategy, even CoD gives you a chance to pop off a grenade and flank the bastard shooting at you. To give them credit the guns feel like they service their class well which is a plesent break from flavour of the month weapons found in CoD. Carbines feel great close range, assault rifles are great at medium and the LMG is great for herassing people.

To give them credit the buddy system is great, you can't spawn on someone if they are in combat (HI DICE FANCY PICKING UP THIS FUCKING FEATURE? THANKS LOVE EVERYONE.) you can only resupply your team mate and you can heal each other quickly back to 100% HP. If you're off running about on your own it takes a damn sight longer to regenerate back to full. Not to mention if you manage to avenge your friend after he takes a fall his respawn time is immediate and he will spawn back on you which is a great touch.

I can't comment on each of the class abilities because I haven't played them all yet! Foot steps aren't loud enough to make this a methodical shooter either. Everyone sounds like they are running on a carpet rather than in heavy boots covered in kevlar and ammo. If I could hear them at range I might find my self utilizing the lean more often which brings me on to the maps. They can be described as babbys first maps. Nothing stands out in them at all besides the environment. Everyone knows a good map: Q3DM17, Pipeline, de_train etc Each has a unique feel to them, vertical combat and a distinct look or set of choke points which stand out. MoH, so far, has none of those. No real vertical combat everything is on a low first floor just in range of your shitty snap to aim found on consoles. There are no stand out geometry which you know to be good for snipers or holding people back from bum rushing your flank. Then to finish it off, half of these maps are lacking any sort of soul. I find difficulty giving it a word but it's a feeling you have about a good map which sets it apart from the rest. Much like the SP, every map I've tried so far, can be described as bland. Like eating a vanilla rich tea. Nothing wrong with it but you wouldn't pay a premium price for a packet of them. You definitely wouldn't get 8 in a pack either.

Edit: I should mention I also like the destruction, DICE could take some tips. The world feels like it is made out of concrete and steel rather than polystyrene. It takes a lot of small arms fire to degrade a wall though I'd like to see a rocket leave a solid hole when I've fired at something.

Top Bottom