• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

Riggs

Banned
So is the MP worth a shit? I look forward to the SP portion but assuming the MP is going to be complete trash. Anyone play yet?

Cudder

So is the MP worth a shit? I look forward to the SP portion but assuming the MP is going to be complete trash. Anyone play yet?

Played for a couple hours today before work.

Graphics are alright. BF3 looks way, way better, and runs better too. The weapon customization looks to be pretty damn deep though, way deeper than I've seen in any other shooter.

The maps are very average, with the exception of a few. That jungle map with the pathways through the trees was just lol worthy.

The net-code works really well, no lag from what I've seen.

I really like the fireteam buddy aspect to it though. Adds an interesting dynamic.

Will play more tonight.

MDSLKTR

Can someone tell me what the hell is up with the driving sequence and resolution? Just before you enter, it's like the game reloads the resolution, game minimizes / maximizes and throughout the driving sequence everything is just a mess - Looked at my screenshots and the images are 720p, what the fuck? Resolution is still 2560x1600 in the options menu.

Dynamic resolution, PC style? Even eliminates all AA.

Look at dat fence! And this is the native resolution
The driving part was all made by criterion. Different engine compared to the fps sections perhaps?

S1kkZ

Thanks for the impressions. I'm still waiting for more SP impressions. If the tone at atmosphere of MoH 2010 is still there I'll pick it up at some point.

i liked the moh 2010 campaign. this one is a full on cod-clone (as far as i played).

Riggs

Banned
Played for a couple hours today before work.

Graphics are alright. BF3 looks way, way better, and runs better too. The weapon customization looks to be pretty damn deep though, way deeper than I've seen in any other shooter.

The maps are very average, with the exception of a few. That jungle map with the pathways through the trees was just lol worthy.

The net-code works really well, no lag from what I've seen.

I really like the fireteam buddy aspect to it though. Adds an interesting dynamic.

Will play more tonight.

Not sure...best would be to check some MP vids/commentary and see if it's your thing. Combat Mission looks like fun.

Thanks for input guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfkN4TYkHpQ&feature=youtu.be

Watching this gaffers comments, don't think the MP is for me. Seems like CoD too much.

Sethos

Banned
Ah, found a fix - Tab in and out. However AA still seems a bit rough.

Downsampled shot

iKT26ULRrjhLI.png

Played a bit last night -- but mostly just to get the settings dialed in.

SP looks and plays wonderfully on my machine. Excited to really dig in.

Smash88

Banned
When they showed the game on Gametrailers I'd swear they said Criterion did the driving sequence.

edit: beaten :(

It was done by Criterion, they have a video blog with one of the Criterion guys talking about MOHW.

Black Box did the driving scene, not Criterion.

When I push Thai for details, he tells me that they had help from the Need for Speed team "in Canada" — presumably the crew at EA Black Box who most recently worked on last year's Need for Speed: The Run. "They were integrated into the creation of that level," he says. You may think of Black Box as Need for Speed's b-team compared to current Need for Speed: Most Wanted developer Criterion, but they have years of experience in making virtual cars that are fun to control — a boon that has clearly aided Danger Close.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...honor-warfighter-need-for-speed-driving-level

So one video said that there are no FOV options, but another had a guy who said in the vid that he set his to 100. Manual CFG file mod or is it in-game?

Sethos

Banned
Man, MP is pretty boring. Maps are awful, UI design and navigation is the worst I've seen in any game, ever. Some of the design decisions aren't clear to me, why does he pull out a SEPARATE grenade launcher every. time. I crouch? Why is there respawns in real-ops, wasn't that supposed to be no-respawn?

Why the fuck didn't they add a RoF indicator in immersive mode - DICE did that same shit in BF3 with hardcore, especially bad with 3-way RoF weapons and shit sticks through dead, suddenly you don't know what the hell your RoF is without firing and giving away your position.

Personally, I'm having a lot of fun with the multiplayer. Had a few minor glitches, but nothing to complain about. I really like playing the Combat Mission game mode, very aggressive gameplay.

I still think BF3 is one of the best looking games on PC so this is no surprise.
Yeah -- I expected it to look good, I'm just surprised it runs so well on my machine (which isn't exactly a slouch but far from the latest and greatest) with just about everything cranked up to the max.

Man, MP is pretty boring. Maps are awful, UI design and navigation is the worst I've seen in any game, ever. Some of the design decisions aren't clear to me, why does he pull out a SEPARATE grenade launcher every. time. I crouch? Why is there respawns in real-ops, wasn't that supposed to be no-respawn?

I think the default "special weapon" is C. Did you bind crouch to C?

Not sure about the no-respawn. I thought that was a part of Homerun mode.

Sethos

Banned
I think the default "special weapon" is C. Did you bind crouch to C?

Not sure about the no-respawn. I thought that was a part of Homerun mode.

Ah yes, that is probably the case then. Figured it'd unbind whatever the hell you use, not just use both ...

After logging in about 5 hours on the PS3 version, I think I'm going to keep this game. I tried going back to playing MW3 and BO after this, it was hard. COD just felt too 'cheap' and too light, like you're controlling a doll.

Shady859

Forgot to cancel my Gamefly request and they mailed me a copy today. Guess i'll be giving it a go after all... I once upon a time had it preordered but cancelled after the beta left me feeling blah. Bought a online asscess LE code with all the extras and BF4 beta access for $10 so i'm all set once it arrives.

Sethos

Banned
Okay, I tried Home Run and it's amazing how a game can do a complete 180* when playing no-respawn modes, it's such a superior game style. Really had some fun and creamed them quite badly.

HOWEVER, I didn't have any sound or at least it was seriously muffled and some muffled Microphones as well ... But game voice overs like "Got the flag!" was at normal levels.

Lucifon

Only touched singleplayer so far - it's very average. Fairly close to the quality of BF3's campaign.

Still entertaining but the story feels very loose and the levels are very bland. Feels more like a shooting gallery. Seems to lack the kind of punch or setpiece moments that we now expect from campaigns like this thanks to CoD.

antitrop

In the first thirty seconds of the game two characters emerge from the water, one with an M4 assault rifle.

I don't think the game developers understand how quickly carbine assault rifles rust when exposed to damp environments, let alone being fully submerged in water for God knows how long. The God damn thing would be completely rusted and inoperable by that point in time.

Carbine ARs in general are notorious in the military for how unreliable, prone to rust, quick to jam (in all sorts of crazy ways, sometimes you can't even figure out how the stoppage was even possible in the first place) Carbines are. In my enlistment as a Marine, if I could get back all the hours I spent cleaning rust off my M16...

Don't big budget military games like this have actual military consultants that are supposed to fact check this sort of thing? Anyone who spent any amount of time in a combat MOS in the military would know that you can't just submerge a Carbine Assault Rifle in water and then expect it to be combat operational. The thing will jam all over the fucking place, it would be a disaster. Even just a little bit of sand in your magazines in Iraq would cause the M16 to jam, because the sand grains would prevent the bolt from chambering another round out of the mag, it would get stuck halfway most of the time. Just imagine water and rust.

OR THIS WOULD HAPPEN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3TMh1qkjFk

Give me a fucking break Medal of Honor.

Spazo

Also, is there any way to adjust FOV on PC? It's giving me a headache, it looks ridiculous.

LOL, doubt it.

The game use the same engine as BF3

there is no ingame option BUT

open PROF_SAVE_profile in My Documents/MOHW/settings

GstRender.FieldOfView

FYI: I didnt installed the game yet so I cant confirm if it is working or not

DTKT

Man, this is one of those game that would benefit from a split SP and MP. I'd pay 25-30 bucks for MOH MP.

Spazo

In the first thirty seconds of the game two characters emerge from the water, one with an M4 assault rifle.

I don't think the game developers understand how quickly carbine assault rifles rust when exposed to damp environments, let alone being fully submerged in water for God knows how long. The God damn thing would be completely rusted and inoperable by that point in time.

Carbine ARs in general are notorious in the military for how unreliable, prone to rust, quick to jam (in all sorts of crazy ways, sometimes you can't even figure out how the stoppage was even possible in the first place) Carbines are. In my enlistment as a Marine, if I could get back all the hours I spent cleaning rust off my M16...

Don't big budget military games like this have actual military consultants that are supposed to fact check this sort of thing? Anyone who spent any amount of time in a combat MOS in the military would know that you can't just submerge a Carbine Assault Rifle in water and then expect it to be combat operational. The thing will jam all over the fucking place, it would be a disaster. Even just a little bit of sand in your magazines in Iraq would cause the M16 to jam, because the sand grains would prevent the bolt from chambering another round out of the mag, it would get stuck halfway most of the time. Just imagine water and rust.

Come on man, its only a game. Dont need to be so realistic. This is not Arma

antitrop

The game use the same engine as BF3
there is no ingame option BUT
open PROF_SAVE_profile in My Documents/MOHW/settings
GstRender.FieldOfView
FYI: I didnt installed the game yet so I cant confirm if it is working or not
I just did this and can confirm it works. Thank you.

Default FOV was set to SEVENTY. No wonder it was so painful. =(

Come on man, its only a game. Dont need to be so realistic. This is not Arma

I'm not asking for simulation level realism here, I know what this is. I would just like a minimum level of militaristic accuracy to be involved here, especially when it's something as simple as a carbine rifle not working properly after being fully submersed in water. That's common sense to anyone who has every operated one.

FStop7

Banned

maybe they're gas piston guns like the HK416 with marine coatings? Anyhow, I thought the SEALs (that's who these guys are supposed to be I think?) had guns that were suitable for being submerged.

Dialogue in this is "FUCK!: The Game".

When I was watching the Giant bomb thing, I was honestly surprised that none of them pointed it out. Most of the story/dialogue stuff just seems really, really awkward and like other posters said, very much akin to Battlefield 3.

antitrop

maybe they're gas piston guns like the HK416 with marine coatings?
Oh, I'm sure there's some kind of explanation for it. It's just my first impressions. I wasn't a Navy SEAL, so I'm sure there's something they do. I always just assumed that they used non-Carbine rifles for amphibious missions.
When I was watching the Giant bomb thing, I was honestly surprised that none of them pointed it out. Most of the story/dialogue stuff just seems really, really awkward and like other posters said, very much akin to Battlefield 3.
I know for a fact that I said "Fuck" more times during my 4 years in the military than I did the other 23 outside of it, so I get the vulgarity, it's accurate when dealing with military in combat situations, but this game "tries too hard". Military speak is always overblown in movies and video games, actual members of military usually just talk to each like... normal human beings. Imagine that. This game way overblows the dialogue to make it seem like what the public's perception of "military talk" is like.

Good example of the way people in the military talk to each other: Spec Ops

Bad example: Medal of Honor: Warfighter or any Call of Duty.

Top Bottom