• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

Argyle

Hey, I haven't played it yet, but what changes do you feel you made to MoH2 vs. MoH1 and why did you do it?

p.s. spec ops is a boring game with bad mechanics

I can't really speak to any design changes (I'm a programmer) as I wasn't directly involved.

One obvious change is the engine change from a modified Unreal Engine 3 to Frostbite 2.

JimFear

Banned
i just realised that some of the breaching doors... repear the second you are in the room of the "breaching door"

I dont know if its that way everytime but in the last mission it is...

this game is straight up horrible... Probably the worst game i've played this year.

sp3000

They previously worked with UE3. They had 2 years to switch over to Frostbite and build this game on it after releasing MOH2010. I can't imagine it being fun.

That sucks. It seems dice is the only studio that can really work with frostbite 2 properly since it's very complicated

NBtoaster

I can't really speak to any design changes (I'm a programmer) as I wasn't directly involved.

One obvious change is the engine change from a modified Unreal Engine 3 to Frostbite 2.

Was it a smooth change? I get the feeling company wide engine changes aren't really appreciated when everyone has to learn new tools, especially when new people come in without any EA experience.

Gibbo

The driving sequences are the only interesting part of this game. With some less-obvious scripting I'd LOVE to see a game based around Hollywood-style car chases in that sort of style.

Also good lord, the CG in the cutscenes is bad.

yeah it was a cool sequence (the first driving level) but it went on for abit too long

characters in the cg cutscenes look really wierd as people have already pointed out. the mom and daughter look especially creepy.

i think im about halfway in so far,and have no major complaints- i find it decent at the very least. probably one thing which i dont like is that the levels feel very 'flat' to me.not sure how else to describe it

Furio53

are you talking about the discussion in this thread? we pointed out things that are wrong with it... what don't you agree with?

No I'm not talking about in this thread. The discussions in this thread are great, because they're informed. I'm more aiming towards reviews. Not saying they're wrong, but some reviews and videos (an IGN table discussion was one) where they shit on the game when it's pretty obvious they have barely (if at all) played it. "Journalism"

sp3000

No I'm not talking about in this thread. The discussions in this thread are great, because they're informed. I'm more aiming towards reviews. Not saying they're wrong, but some reviews and videos (an IGN table discussion was one) where they shit on the game when it's pretty obvious they have barely (if at all) played it. "Journalism"

I don't think it's fair that this game get's bad reviews when MW3 does not, when it's campaign was pretty awful as well yet it was praised all around.

Even BF3 should have gotten penalized for it's campaign, but I think it's amazing multiplayer made reviewers forget about it.

EndersAres

Neo Member
I finished the game in about 4 hours and 50 minutes on the normal difficulty. I had this issue where I had a black screen and audio but no video. I turned my monitor off and back on and the video from the game was there. The cg cut scenes are hilariously bad, the art in the cg scenes and story stuff was just awful. It's pretty disappointing the campaign turned out so boring, I really loved the 2010 campaign. The multiplayer wasn't really enjoyable. Every time I logged into it I was losing unlocks or ranks. Maps aren't really good either. Several times on a lot of the maps I was spawned under the map or outside of the maps barriers where I couldn't get back in. Shooting felt off over other games like BF/COD, it probably didn't help that the default scopes aren't very good. Menus are terrible too.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

yeah it looks amazing thats true

but nobody has said the graphics are ugly so you should feel better

I don't think it's fair that this game get's bad reviews when MW3 does not, when it's campaign was pretty awful as well yet it was praised all around.

Even BF3 should have gotten penalized for it's campaign, but I think it's amazing multiplayer made reviewers forget about it.

the multiplayer saved both of those games, unfortunately it's not the same for MOH

Argyle

Was it a smooth change? I get the feeling company wide engine changes aren't really appreciated when everyone has to learn new tools, especially when new people come in without any EA experience.

It was pretty rough, especially for the first year. Keep in mind that at the point that people started looking at it, nobody had shipped a game on Frostbite 2 yet (the first games were Battlefield 3 and NFS: The Run) - also none of us had worked with it either, so there was a fair amount of ramp-up time on an engine that was still being written.

Furio53

Changing engines is never smooth. 2 years is barely enough time to really start learning an engine well.

I know some of the guys on the team, and I feel bad for them. I know they worked their asses off, and reviews seem to be shitting on them pretty hardcore.
Some of the discussions and reviews I've seen are pretty ridiculous too. No one goes into a project half-assed and not wanting to make the best game ever. It's unfortunate. I know how it goes. You crunch, you pour your heart and soul into a project, only to have someone pick it up and be like meh. It's gut wrenching.

I liked Sterling's review where he sounded vaguely apologetic every time he praised something about the game.

It happens though. There are of course a lot of downsides but shipping a flop gives you a lot of perspective. I know a lot of people who lucked their way into AAA dev right out of school and could use some of that perspective.

Reading back a few pages I noticed several people talking about how hard the team worked on this which got me thinking where exactly are the massive mistakes being made that would produce an end product as poor as this? A serious lack in talent? Poor management? Poor resources? Poor support?

I would also like to know how far along in development had the game been when people started to realize its poor quality because they had to have known a while now that this game was going fall well short of hopes and projections. The last few months must have been an absolute nightmare.

I bought this game for PC knowing damn well my PC wouldn't cope with it, and it's a slideshow at low settings in windowed mode @ 1024x768 res. What the fuck was I thinking.

I did manage to play up until I heard someone randomly yell FUCK, and quit.

hamchan

Nah, MW3 had a decent campaign. The thing about CoD campaigns now is that they really embrace the whole rollercoaster, crazy things happening every 5 mins, ride. This MoH campaign seems to not be doing that, seems just dull.

soultron

Banned
I liked Sterling's review where he sounded vaguely apologetic every time he praised something about the game.

It happens though. There are of course a lot of downsides but shipping a flop gives you a lot of perspective. I know a lot of people who lucked their way into AAA dev right out of school and could use some of that perspective.
Not saying that this game should be judged in a vacuum because (A) I've not played it yet and (B) it does certain things similar to COD and BF3. Still, I feel like it should live or die on the merits of the more unique things it tries to bring to the table. They tried novel things with their MP and tried to tell a more serious tale than a guns blazing FUCK YEAH campaign found in your typical COD.

Most reviews are creating this standard of the FPS genre only allowing for a package like COD or BF3. Furthermore, they bash it for being propagandist tripe. I'd hate to state the obvious, but it's not COD or BF3 and it's a game about "military authenticity" in its plot and setting.

Why ask EA to make another BF3 when they clearly already have that?

Anyhow, I should play the game first before making any more statements about it, my apologies.

I'm enjoying both the single player and the multiplayer. I love being able to be a JTF-2 Operator and kick some ass. Also, I really do like the shooting mechanics. They did a hell of a good job on that.

antitrop

They tried... to tell a more serious tale than a guns blazing FUCK YEAH campaign found in your typical COD.
Not really, though. It's pretty much the same deal, except there's a tiny bit more character depth than a CoD game, but it's not good or interesting character depth.

It's still totally 100% guns blazing fuck yeah, though.

Derrick01

Banned
I finished the game in about 4 hours and 50 minutes on the normal difficulty.

I see this is something that will never ever be fixed in these phoned-in war games. It's a shame because if any actual effort would be put into them they could make something interesting.

soultron

Banned
I'm enjoying both the single player and the multiplayer. I love being able to be a JTF-2 Operator and kick some ass. Also, I really do like the shooting mechanics. They did a hell of a good job on that.
JTF-2 is secretly one of the biggest reasons I want to play this game.

Hey I have an extra premium code for 50% off this game.

If anyone has an extra steam copy of Mark of the Ninja, The Book of Unwritten Tales, or Gemini Rue I'll swap you for it.

Just send me a PM - thanks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hey I have an extra premium code for 50% off this game.

If anyone has an extra steam copy of Mark of the Ninja or The Book of Unwritten Tales I'll swap you for it.

Just send me a PM - thanks.

... good luck with that.

Most people just handed theirs out to the first person who asked for it (that is what I did with mine).

Maybe if they took a step back from overly scripted setpieces and regenerating health and all the usual CoD traps, and actually made a somewhat thoughtful, tactical and deliberate game, Danger Close would have more success.

I do want to try this at some point since I liked the last MoH but impressions here aren't very promising. Also, where are all the reviews? Games been out for 2 days now.

DTKT

Maybe if they took a step back from overly scripted setpieces and regenerating health and all the usual CoD traps, and actually made a somewhat thoughtful, tactical and deliberate game, Danger Close would have more success.

I do want to try this at some point since I liked the last MoH but impressions here aren't very promising. Also, where are all the reviews? Games been out for 2 days now.

Copies were sent the day of the release but we still have a few reviews.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-24-medal-of-honor-warfighter-review 5 out of 10

http://www.polygon.com/game/medal-of-honor-warfighter/2686/overview 4.5 out of 10

Ugh, these reviews are making me regret my purchase (that I haven't played yet). I thought the MP had some really unique ideas, but it sounds like the maps and the interface let it down.

antitrop

Remember when that guy thought I was crazy for even suggesting a 7? Look at dem scores.

I previously stated that the single player was like a 4 at best. I haven't finished yet, but from what I've read about length it shouldn't take very much longer.

Nizz

Same here, although I would love to hear from anyone who got this on PS3 if the game's controls suffer from input lag like Battlefield 3 did.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I seriously hope they are listening to the fans who are saying the maps are just too small that have "fatal funnels" in them which really messes with the experience.

Its as if they didnt pay attention to the feedback given with MoH2010. :/

Mr. Goodrich and team seem to be letting down my hopes of them bringing out a great full product on their own. Damned shame too since I really do like what Danger Close wanted to try and do with the first MoH and was hoping they would improve on that in the 2nd. But all Im seeing now is Michael Bays boner fest. D: We got enough of that with other modern FPS titles and wish that they would nave gone around that.

I hope at least the buddy system catches on, or continues in the next game. Someone in a YT vid said that even in BF3, with four people communicating, they would usually split up into 2's and work as two teams. It's just easier, unless you're part of a clan or something like that.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Reviews make me sad :(

I worked my ass off to get this one out the door.

I like it! There's a lot of potential, it just needs some balancing. I think it could benefit from faster time to ADS. The gunplay ends up being slower than the gameplay and it's really getting to me that returning fire is so tricky. I'd also like to know how each of the attachments changes the handling of the gun. There's alot in there that doesn't change the bar and I have to wonder if its just cosmetic or if there's something worth having.

And for the love of Christ! Buff the AK5! I'm good with the handling of the gun, even if the kick is a bit sharp, but it's like I'm flinging marshmellows down range at people shooting real bullets at me. It's kind of maddening.

Sober

I'm having a blast with the multi. Nice mix of battlefield and CoD.
The maps feel way too tight, even for CoD style chaos, especially when this game is more of a BF3-style speed. If you want that, you should just play the Close Quarter maps in BF3. As much shit everyone was giving DICE for even considering infantry-only maps in BF3, they come out fantastic and better than everyone expected.

I think the Polygon review is spot on, especially that the SP probably takes too much from "inspired by real events" that it feels too disconnected from what is going on. It'd have been more interesting if the story was just something original but in the same vein as 2010 in terms of tone and scale or if they just decided to drop the original crew from the first game and just globe hop and just have separate individual missions 'inspired by real events' and starring other international spec ops groups rather than just substituting in their version of Task Force 141. The latter I was more excited for as a possibility for SP, but that seems to have been relegated to MP.

Sojgat

I let myself get conned into buying the version that came with a t-shirt thinking it came with extra content, but no just a misleading box and now I'm out an extra 10 bucks.

MP seems ok so far, SP was a waste of everybody's time.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Remember when that guy thought I was crazy for even suggesting a 7? Look at dem scores.

I previously stated that the single player was like a 4 at best. I haven't finished yet, but from what I've read about length it shouldn't take very much longer.

Btw that tag is like a bad tattoo. Gonna follow you to the grave lol

tsigo

It was pretty rough, especially for the first year. Keep in mind that at the point that people started looking at it, nobody had shipped a game on Frostbite 2 yet (the first games were Battlefield 3 and NFS: The Run) - also none of us had worked with it either, so there was a fair amount of ramp-up time on an engine that was still being written.

You guys did a much better job with the multiplayer than DICE did with the 2010 version. Sure would be nice to see what you could do without a ridiculous deadline and what I'm sure were some "Just be like Call of Duty" directives from higher up.

Argyle, i just got dropped out of the map 7 times in a row... who the hell did you guys employ to test the game for bugs? is this a PC issue only?

Argyle

Argyle, i just got dropped out of the map 7 times in a row... who the hell did you guys employ to test the game for bugs? is this a PC issue only?

I don't know anything about that bug, sorry. Did you mean you got dropped from a game or did you fall out of the world?

I know people on the team too. Nobody doubts that people work hard, but that doesn't automatically guarantee great results nor should we give a game a great score just because people worked super hard on it. Most of us know it's super hard to make games and it sucks when the end result aint great, but developers gotta take that on the chin.

Not sure how (not that I trust reviewers) they lowered the quality from the first game, but it'd be a shame if it's true. It feels like they have had all chances to give us something different, but I imagine there being a lot of pressure into following the blazed trail.

It's a bit like Ghost Recon FS. When it's allowed to be Ghost Recon, it's brilliant. But then from time to time they toss in COD-esque stuff, and it just doesn't work and really taints the whole experience. COD is good at being COD, but I can't recall another game aping it with any success.

Cudder

Okay, I LOVED MoH 2010. I just don't dig this game. Ps3 version impressions.

-Like it already hasn't been stated enough: The Menu/UI interface is utter trite. I can't wrap my head around it, and I've been playing it for a few DAYS now. It is way too fucking confusing and counter intuitive, I have never seen a mess of menus like this in a game before. Never.

-When you're in the customize gun screen, why is it fucking BLACK so I can't see my gun? Unless you go down and select the paint option where he puts it on the table, the gun is in the air and is surrounded by this stupid fucking blue cloud of bullshit, and then there's blackness, to the point where you can't see SHIT. Makes me think it's a glitch, but is it a glitch if it happens 100% of the time? Fucking stupid.

-I have never played an FPS other than this one, where I lose a large majority of the firefights that I truly believe I should have won. I don't know what it is, but whenever I'm head to head with someone, they seem to put me down all the time, even when I have the jump on them. And it's not because I "suck", I'm a pretty decent FPS player and have had no problems with COD or BF3. In this game, a one on one faceoff feels like luck to me.

- The maps look like SHIT in multiplayer. Not only do they look like shit, they ARE shit. They look shittier than Resistance 2 maps. The saturation of the walls, shadows, buildings, the ground, EVERYTHING is retarded. Everything is darker than it should be. It's hard to spot enemies because of this, which is surprising given how static these shit levels are. Every map is literally a bunch of hallways, akin to every SINGLE PLAYER FPS that comes ut nowadays. I never thought I'd see the day when "corridor shooter" would refer to the multiplayer portion of a game. Guess I was wrong. The maps are too tight. Oh, and why do I spawn into objects/spawn outside of the map/spawn in the ground 20% of the time? You've gotta be fucking kidding me.

-When you enter a match, during the countdown it allows you to change your class/weapon if you want. Cool. But then you go to change your class/gun, and are tweaking shit (in the shit-tastic menus) for the match you're about to play, and it fucking SPAWNS you anyway in to the match in a few seconds. Amazing.

-I need to mention the unlocks thing again. No rhyme or reason to anything in this game. I've been playing for the past 3 days, and I've only unlocked 3 guns for my specops soldier. It doesn't make any fucking sense. You start using guns with scopes and have to UNLOCK iron sights. Everything is ass backwards. You never know when/what you're going to unlock, EVEN if you go to the Battlelog website. There is NO section to see what upcoming unlocks are. I would love if a developer of the game actually revealed how the unlock system works, because I just don't fucking get it.

-Game has WAY too many audio issues. 95% of the time, I don't hear my own gun reload. The other 5% it's delayed to the visuals. When lots of shit is going on visually (missile strikes etc) the audio will just cut out to the point where you can't hear anything.

I usually don't trade in games but I'm seriously considering it with this one. This game needs one hell of a patch to pull it out of the ditch it's in right now. I should have just spent the money and bought BF3 Premium instead. You would have got more maps, more weapons, better graphics, no audio issues, etc. Ugh.

Top Bottom