• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

antitrop

I guess shitty hit detection and netcode is going to be a staple for the Frostbite 2 games.

How fuckin great. This is a terrible game.
The hit detection in Medal of Honor is significantly worse than Battlefield 3, I didn't have any issues. I think it's just the developer, not the engine.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The hit detection in Medal of Honor is significantly worse than Battlefield 3, I didn't have any issues. I think it's just the developer, not the engine.

BF3 I think the problem isnt as much the hit detection as them fucking with the weapons so much that we all might as well be shooting kittens, flowers and sunshine at each other.

They really need to adhere to the old saying of "If it aint broken, dont fix it" Game used to be pretty damned good with balance from launch (better than it is last time I played anyways), then they started screwing with everything and jesus what happened. Thats the one thing Ive always HATED about DICE just like BFBC2. They keep tweaking shit that does not need to be messing up the balance of everything.

smr00

Banned
Did anyone pick this up having enjoyed the last game? I actually enjoyed the last game quite a bit and thinking about picking it up. Mostly for the SP.

Argyle

What the fuck.

I keep spawning off the map. How can a game ship with a bug like that? That is gamebreaking.

I JUST SPAWNED UNDER THE MAP

I am told that this is being fixed in a server side update soon, if it hasn't been fixed already (guess not if it just happened to you).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Did anyone pick this up having enjoyed the last game? I actually enjoyed the last game quite a bit and thinking about picking it up. Mostly for the SP.

Ive seen some who said they enjoyed the game for the SP with the current title. Going through the threads related to the game.

though general consensus is to just wait till it drops in price if you are going in just for SP only.

smr00

Banned
Ive seen some who said they enjoyed the game for the SP with the current title. Going through the threads related to the game.

though general consensus is to just wait till it drops in price if you are going in just for SP only.
I took a chance at this redbox about 10 minutes ago got lucky.

Gonna dive in head first soon as its done installing/patching.

EDIT

So not even 15 minutes in already got a game breaking bug. Did they not playtest this? It was at the point where you deploy that robot thing, didn't trigger and i had to kill myself to reset because it wouldnt let me restart from checkpoint and when that happened the screen went black and froze.

Yeah, I thought Arthur Gies' review was a bit too critical. This game is pretty awesome in multiplayer. I don't see it as a 4.5...but whatever. I hope the game still catches on and people aren't too deterred. That $30 price if you have BF3 Premium hopefully helps some familiar players make the jump.
I take it I haven't received that offer since it's a US only thing as usual?

Holy shit the online is beyond buggy. 4 spawns in a row I spawn through the floor, falling to my death? Then I spawn outside the barriers of the map, which was neat for about 5 kills and now I'm stuck here unable to go anywhere.

Medal of Honor, although Battlefield only scrapes by because it has a badass soundtrack and features significantly less horrifying CG character models in cutscenes.
OUCH.

Battlefield 3 holds the dubious honor of worst shooter campaign I've ever had the experience of playing. Pretty, yes, but hollow and broken and stupid almost beyond measure. Only in my nightmares would I imagine that MOH would follow suit.

This doesn't bode well. I actually have MOH downloaded on PC, but haven't summoned the wherewithal to play it yet. I will at some point though, even if just to witness it. Loved the last game's campaign quite a bit.

Nizz

I never really looked into this myself, but my understanding is that we should basically have the same changes that Battlefield 3 has now to try to fix the input lag on PS3.

I'm not sure why exactly SD seems to address the input lag in BF3 but not MOHW. I don't think we are doing anything different there.
It boggles my mind how the controls from the BF3 beta didn't translate to the shipped version of the engine. Yeah, the BF3 beta was buggy and it had some tearing but the one huge positive was that the controls felt the best a Frostbite powered FPS on console had ever controlled.

DICE do really need to dig into the engine and sort out just what causes this input lag in Frostbite 2 games. Something they did with the engine when they gave the graphics another pass to improve them/eliminate tearing something introduced input lag into games using this engine.

It's a shame but I almost never want to touch another FPS using this engine on at least the PS3 again.

Calmine

At least I'm not the only one who thought the CG characters were horrifying.

For PC Gaf, don't know if any got this as well but the mouse felt really off to me. I checked whether it has use raw mouse input like in BF3 cause that on made a difference. No option whatsoever same as FOV.

I checked the config when I changed the FOV I took a look and again didn't see it listed in the cofig. So added the one from BF3 config and it seems to work.

code: GstInput.MouseRawInput 1

add it to your PROF_SAVE_profile in MOHW settings folder in Docs.

If someone tries it can you feel a difference? I don't want it being some placebo.

tsigo

So GAF, which has a worse campaign? Battlefield 3 or the new Medal of Honor?

Battlefield 3. That campaign was even less coherent with fewer, less effective set pieces.

Agreed about the CG cutscenes, though. It's a shame, cause the ones they do in-engine look fucking great.

Argyle

It boggles my mind how the controls from the BF3 beta didn't translate to the shipped version of the engine. Yeah, the BF3 beta was buggy and it had some tearing but the one huge positive was that the controls felt the best a Frostbite powered FPS on console had ever controlled.

DICE do really need to dig into the engine and sort out just what causes this input lag in Frostbite 2 games. Something they did with the engine when they gave the graphics another pass to improve them/eliminate tearing something introduced input lag into games using this engine.

It's a shame but I almost never want to touch another FPS using this engine on at least the PS3 again.

I can't go into specifics but in general this kind of thing is tied into how the engine updates the simulation, performs rendering, and syncs with your display. It's possible there were significant architectural changes between BF3 beta and final that perhaps improved overall performance or image quality at the expense of lag. (I don't have any particular insight into what changed, so treat this as speculation.)

DTKT

At least I'm not the only one who thought the CG characters were horrifying.

For PC Gaf, don't know if any got this as well but the mouse felt really off to me. I checked whether it has use raw mouse input like in BF3 cause that on made a difference. No option whatsoever same as FOV.

I checked the config when I changed the FOV I took a look and again didn't see it listed in the cofig. So added the one from BF3 config and it seems to work.

code: GstInput.MouseRawInput 1

add it to your PROF_SAVE_profile in MOHW settings folder in Docs.

If someone tries it can you feel a difference? I don't want it being some placebo.

That helped a lot, thanks dude. It feels much more even in ADS and iron sight. FOV kicked in, had to reload the map.

Spazo

That helped a lot, thanks dude. It feels much more even in ADS and iron sight. Not sure about the FOV trick though, I can barely see a difference between 70 and 90.

The FOV setting in the PROF_SAVE_profile only affect the FOV when running.

For now, the normal FOV is locked at 70.

MOHW battlelog forum admin is aware of this and advised the dev about it. So we will maybe see a FOV slider in a future patch

Lucifon

So - just finished the campaign. Took about 5-6 hours which is fairly standard for today.

I thought the first half was very poor, however there was a point just over half way through where I thought things started to come together much more. Level design improved, the story started to have abit more purpose and the campaign moments themselves became much more enjoyable.

Overall it was 'ok'. It felt disjointed, definitely as if it'd been rushed. Levels feel plopped in without much reason. But I enjoyed it as it came to a close.

DTKT

Welp, I'm done and it's uninstalled. I don't think I've ever felt angry about a game quality. This is truly the first time that I felt insulted that someone thought that game was good enough to be bought.

The last time I felt that was with Brink and Breach.

What a disgrace.

I'm enjoying it so far. Played some of the MP last night till my random 2X EXP ran out. Fireteams are what make/break good matches. Either you get rushers who die running into the same campers, or you get a sniper who covers you, advances with you, you spot for him, and you get #1 fireteam on a game. I loved that I had my goofy Purple gun for the little post game fist bump thing, haha. I like the modes that are similiar to BF3 like Combat Mission.

SP is fun so far, I like the multi sight guns a lot. Trying to split time between this, Forza, and Borderlands 2 is difficult, haha. Need more hours in a day.

I do like the Nations thing in Battlelog, it reminds me of the awesome Resistance 3 Global thing that tied into the game.

And if you are not in a Platoon, just make one for yourself, you get a Platoon bonus for every match.

SRTtoZ

Played about 2 hours of the campaign so far and its not bad. I like the story a ton more than BF3 because its not 'omg save the world'. It has its moments where it looks great (maxed out, 1080p) but does not look as good or as polished as BF3. I would not recommend paying full price for this game.

Psykotik

i really enjoy the driving missions in this game. the controls are fantastic.

also love that bit where it goes all metal gear solid. IN A CAR.

Calmine

That helped a lot, thanks dude. It feels much more even in ADS and iron sight. FOV kicked in, had to reload the map.

Glad it does work and not just me, cause it does make a difference.

The FOV setting in the PROF_SAVE_profile only affect the FOV when running.

For now, the normal FOV is locked at 70.

MOHW battlelog forum admin is aware of this and advised the dev about it. So we will maybe see a FOV slider in a future patch

Yeah as soon as I loaded up MP for first time when I set it to 90, my eye's when I sprinted and stopped tripped me out. They'd better fix at FOV soon. I'm playing at 1440p.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I did mission 3. Which I guess is the beach mission? The little bot thing was so cute! Angry Muslin hit it in the face with a rock :(

antitrop

I did mission 3. Which I guess is the beach mission? The little bot thing was so cute! Angry Muslin hit it in the face with a rock :(
I'll admit, that part had a bit of charm to it. Still have a bit more of this to play. I'll probably just go ahead and finish it tomorrow, it's short. Just get it over with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

If they eliminated tearing, I would guess they either vsynced the game, triple buffered, or both, all of which could conceivably have input lag problems depending on how it's implemented.

daevv

Just played for a few hours online and had some fun! Is there a community thread for playing online and joining GAF clans? Canada!!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I like what I played. I mean I have a long way to go, but in terms of gameplay, if you liked the first, that feel is here again.

I don't like the setting hopping. I feel like I have no idea what is happening. And the CG is wacky.

But I am a huge fan of insipidly written Minimally Interactive Entertainment.

Battlefield 3: "HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY THE MOTHERFUCKIN VICTORS"

That is deep. You cannot just write that off.

antitrop

Just played for a few hours online and had some fun! Is there a community thread for playing online and joining GAF clans? Canada!!
I don't think anyone cares enough to form one for this game. Especially once BO2 comes out in a few weeks. Modern Warfare 3 didn't impress me (although it's still considerably better than Medal of Honor), maybe Black Ops 2 might be good. Didn't play the first Black Ops, but I heard it was good.

Victrix

*beard*
Off to a good start. Enter the party menu, invite friends, locks up xbox

edit: Platoon. Profanity check failed. Please use proper platoon name and tag. This for a Platoon named 'Spetsnotz'.

Strike two!

edit: Party member can't use any menus. Had to dashboard.

edit: Party failed to join game

antitrop

Off to a good start. Enter the party menu, invite friends, locks up xbox

edit: Platoon. Profanity check failed. Please use proper platoon name and tag. This for a Platoon named 'Spetsnotz'.

Strike two!

edit: Party member can't use any menus. Had to dashboard.

edit: Party failed to join game
It's not a bug it's a feature. It's actively trying to tell you not to play the game at all, which is actually the only correct option with Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

I still have hope for Combat Mission. At least from the few vids I watched, the maps don't seem to just be "narrow hallways" in that game mode.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
OUCH.

Battlefield 3 holds the dubious honor of worst shooter campaign I've ever had the experience of playing. Pretty, yes, but hollow and broken and stupid almost beyond measure. Only in my nightmares would I imagine that MOH would follow suit.

This doesn't bode well. I actually have MOH downloaded on PC, but haven't summoned the wherewithal to play it yet. I will at some point though, even if just to witness it. Loved the last game's campaign quite a bit.

Don't listen to him. Medal of Honor's campaign is MUCH better than BF3's. It's not as nicely packaged (the narrative is slightly all over the place), but it's got more variety, there are no quick-time events, and the characters are much more interesting. Yes, Preacher's wife and child are HIDEOUS, and some of the railroading the game puts you on is obnoxious, but there's a good amount of love put into this game. The driving sequences were particularly excellent and exciting. It takes a bit for it to ramp up, but the Single Player surprised me. I felt it was even better than 2010. This was a step up.

I'm still getting some good enjoyment out of the MP. Hotspot is a great game once you figure out the ins and outs of the map, and while it still needs fewer initial tickets, Combat Mission is still good. Haven't played Home Run yet, but I should soon. Only game mode that genuinely sucks is Sector Control. The fact that the teams are initially spawned in only one location makes getting spawn camped all to easy when you're not in control of your foward flag. Rather, the game should spawn randomly around the map so that you can't get dominated and then spawn raped as you try to take your foward position.

I was playing the PS+ trial just walking along to my next objective and I just died. Nobody shot me, I didn't get blown up by a grenade or fall off a cliff. I just died. My character must have had a heart attack or something. All I could do was laugh. Turned the game off, uninstalled and laughed some more.

MoH new slogan should be, don't worry if you got a jump on someone, you'll always die with a single magic bullet.

Fallback should mean away from the action, not in front of an enemy.

This game mode is so fucking awesome, the fact that the teams are initially spawned in only one location makes getting spawn camped all to easy when you're not in control of your foward flag, making for an incredibly competitive and tense experience where mistakes are magnified to a degree not usually seen in other games or modes.

See what I did there?

I can't believe how long it's taking gamers to realize certain kinds of negativity starts with one's own attitude, and can thusly be entirely eliminated with a different attitude.

DTKT

See what I did there?

I can't believe how long it's taking gamers to realize certain kinds of negativity starts with one's own attitude, and can thusly be entirely eliminated with a different attitude.

YOU NEED TO BE A BETTER PLAYER BRO.

Seriously, this is what you just said. Sector Control simply doesn't work and just creates situations where spawn camping is too easy to achieve. Once that is in place, it's extremely to actually get out of that situation.

SRTtoZ

Just beat the SP campaign and I actually liked it. It started off pretty boring but got much better as the game went on. The story wasnt that bad and it was def better than BF3. Also, I ran into zero bugs, although I have NOT played MP yet.

Top Bottom