• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

Spazo

The game use the same engine as BF3

there is no ingame option BUT

open PROF_SAVE_profile in My Documents/MOHW/settings

GstRender.FieldOfView

FYI: I didnt installed the game yet so I cant confirm if it is working or not

I just find out that there is no way to change the FOV.

This settings will only change the FOV while running...

You can see it here with a FOV of 120

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sbIZCV1WkWs

I'm also having issue with mouse acceleration.

Did anybody tried to add GstInput.MouseRawInput 1 in PROF_SAVE_profile ?

Dakota47

We received the review copy at work here today. I'm kinda tempted to bring it home and see this shipwreck for myself, but then our tech editor probably would get mad at me.

Oh, and by the way: Eurogamer gave the game a 5/10.

Grief.exe

I can't play with those low fov values, gives me motion sickness after awhile.

I was planning on waiting until after Christmas anyways. I already have aftermath to play and I have a feeling this is going to hit the $5 range on amazon pretty quick.

I'm not quite sure where all the hate is coming from, at least in terms of the singleplayer experience (don't really get into MP myself), unless it's simply fatigue for this sort of game.

Because while very familiar in terms of gameplay mechanics, it's miles better than MW campaigns in just about every way for my money.

I know people like to say nobody plays these types of games for the campaign, but that's simply not true. I fear it's going to be the same thing as last time when lots of people didn't play MOH 2010 initially because of the negative buzz and reviews (primarily due to the mp), but if and when they eventually did, they found it had one of the better FPS campaigns of the generation.

And the games are elaborate Easter Egg hunts for anyone interested in JSOC SMUs (SEAL Team Six, Delta) and that sort of thing.

We received the review copy at work here today. I'm kinda tempted to bring it home and see this shipwreck for myself, but then our tech editor probably would get mad at me.

Oh, and by the way: Eurogamer gave the game a 5/10.

The multiplayer wears the same Battlelog system and game engine as Battlefield 3, like a little brother in hand-me-down clothes.

Lmao

Grief.exe

Maybe we are seeing a shift in gaming journalism towards respectability. In past years, games like re6 and MoH would get 9+/10, now things are different. Maybe derivative games are finally getting what they deserve.

Destructoid better say this when black ops comes out.

First things first, the single-player mode is abysmal. For the most part, it's another common romp through the Middle East and other war-torn parts of the world, as players hide behind crates and shoot at silhouettes spawning across murky arenas of nondescript space. So linear and formulaic is each mission, it comes across less like the "EXTREME REALISM" of modern combat and more like a cheap, slow fairground ride. There is an attempt at a story, featuring characters that make no impression and a villain that appears for no other reason than to be an obligatory foreign bad guy. In short, it's a tacky and melodramatic look at military life with a script that could have been trotted out by a twelve-year-old. Just like so many others.

Sethos

Banned
Would it be an idea to have a separate review thread for all the incoming reviews, to spare this thread for all the laughs and bile that will inevitably come :p Then again, I don't really care either way.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Would it be an idea to have a separate review thread for all the incoming reviews, to spare this thread for all the laughs and bile that will inevitably come :p Then again, I don't really care either way.

I was intending on making one once we had like 10 reviews.

Normally that happens all at once, but uh, they shipped this game last minute so...

Edit: But yes, also the below. :p

Grief.exe

I'm not quite sure where all the hate is coming from, at least in terms of the singleplayer experience (don't really get into MP myself), unless it's simply fatigue for this sort of game.

Because while very familiar in terms of gameplay mechanics, it's miles better than MW campaigns in just about every way for my money.

I know people like to say nobody plays these types of games for the campaign, but that's simply not true. I fear it's going to be the same thing as last time when lots of people didn't play MOH 2010 initially because of the negative buzz and reviews (primarily due to the mp), but if and when they eventually did, they found it had one of the better FPS campaigns of the generation.

And the games are elaborate Easter Egg hunts for anyone interested in JSOC SMUs (SEAL Team Six, Delta) and that sort of thing.

For people who have been playing fps games for along time, not just in the past 5 years. Campaigns like this are basically a joke.

They are essentially designing this for the lowest common denominator. Where you don't need to have any rational thought to move forward. Think about it. Did you ever have to think about what you were doing? You just had to move forward, shooting the same guys in slightly different scenarios. Maybe you are shooting guys behind crates, then you are shooting them from a helicopter, then back to crates.

Then you have to take into account that this set piece, scripted event design was developed 10-15 years ago. Half life 1 is a good example. Its time to innovate.

Kuno

Got this game yesterday and tried out the single player for a bit. Overall it's just okay but the driving sequence was pretty intense.

Multiplayer, however, is where it's at. Once you can wrap your mind around the UI from hell and get into a game, it's a lot of fun. My friends and I tried out a few of the different game types last night, but the big surprise was Homerun. It's the best new multiplayer FPS game mode I've played in a while.

It's sort of a mashup of CTF and Search & Destroy but is better than both of 'em.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I am really enjoying the multiplayer.. I thought the beta was super rough but I went into this with an open mind. I recorded my first game and I think it shows some of the changes since the beta. Different game mode. I will throw up some TDM later.

You can ignore my commentary if you like just sharing my experience so far. (I recorded it at like 4am so I was tired as hell)
MOH: Warfighter - Combat Mission MP
This is quite good. Subscribed!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you made a review Id read it.

I have a tendency these days that, unless it's a game I really want, of buying it at sub-$20 (which usually takes about a month now :lol).

I'm mostly here to see what people think of the multiplayer since I liked Bad Company 2 and the lead designers from that are leading up MoH's MP now.

Thanks though.

Maybe we are seeing a shift in gaming journalism towards respectability. In past years, games like re6 and MoH would get 9+/10, now things are different. Maybe derivative games are finally getting what they deserve.

I don't think that this is any indication in a shift. MoH 2010 was also killed by reviewers. I remember a recent article even mentioning that some of the employees at Danger Close were sure that the studio was going to be shutdown once they saw the review scores.

antitrop

My tag may be overly harsh, but it's accurate.

With the reviews coming out today it's clear that my primarily negative impressions of the game are well founded.

Sober

Well, I guess I should look on the bright side that I only paid 30$ for it because I had BF3 premium and I didn't pay full price for Premium either.

I'll put a few more hours into MP, but not really into it as I was with BC2/BF3.

I feel real bad for the people buying modern FPS shooters for the SP.

Military shooters? No. It's all about multiplayer.

There are other FPS games that have good SP however the modern military genre has been seriously lacking in that department.

On another note, tried MoD MP last night a little and it's very fun, similar to BF3 CQC in that it is more CoD in map play rather than wide open like BF games. Not sure how much time I will spend on it because of BF3 map packs and planetside 2 but it will probably replace CoD for me as the smaller scale MP game as I'm not getting CoD for the first time since WaW.

params7

Banned
I'm digging the MP. Its fantastic. Played 2-3 hours of consecutive Home Run last night and ran into plenty intense as **** moments I haven't had since the days of Warhawk.

Its fast paced BF3 with improved gunplay and hit detection while fusing some cons of CoD franchise. Pleasantly surprised.

Sethos

Banned
I almost wish more developers would just focus their entire effort on Multiplayer when their SP components are so weak and half-arsed. We wouldn't have shitty SP campaigns that has taken up a lot of resources and we'd have better Multiplayer.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
For people who have been playing fps games for along time, not just in the past 5 years. Campaigns like this are basically a joke.

They are essentially designing this for the lowest common denominator. Where you don't need to have any rational thought to move forward. Think about it. Did you ever have to think about what you were doing? You just had to move forward, shooting the same guys in slightly different scenarios. Maybe you are shooting guys behind crates, then you are shooting them from a helicopter, then back to crates.

Then you have to take into account that this set piece, scripted event design was developed 10-15 years ago. Half life 1 is a good example. Its time to innovate.

No, you don't. Not to continue in any case (well, except for the
stealth driving
mission). but that's besides the point. If you've played the stealth missions, if you make an effort to keep stealth, things go great. If you break stealthy, no worries, you can still run and gun it through. No, you don't need to think to continue, but you do need to think to get through the mission quickly and quietly. That the thing about the game. Some missions, while linear and narrow, all have different levels of engagement depending on how much the player "thinks". Yeah, it's kinda dumbed down, and I did get kind of annoyed at being given directions every five minutes, but overall, it's one of the best campaigns of its type. Decent set-pieces, good variety, varied characters (though more than Voodoo, Mother, and Preacher could have been better fleshed out). Really, all in all it's even better than last time. Let's just see them get rid of the handholding and stuff like that and I'll be happy.

My tag may be overly harsh, but it's accurate.

With the reviews coming out today it's clear that my primarily negative impressions of the game are well founded.

haha cute tag :p

At least your tag is respectable and not for something embarrassing.

The multiplayer looks ok, this was hilarious:

iUvMEJkaJUlLg.gif

Sethos

Banned
Holy shit, just noticed one of those fucking annoying design decisions. Some of their 'rain' levels have flood amounts of rain on the ground so you can't prone. It's a fucking nightmare, you have 2 pieces of cover, getting shot at, can't lay down and the AI is blocking the only decent place. They really just thought "Okay, being able to prone here would be too easy ... Let's flood every single rain level so they can't prone, muahah".

This game is so bad.

antitrop

The door breaching system is not offensive to my senses.

Also this game is notable for being one of the few games a year I agree with Jim Sterling on.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
The door breaching system is not offensive to my senses.

Also this game is notable for being one of the few games a year I agree with Jim Sterling on.

I'm having a good time with it.

Jim Sterling, that's the Blues Traveler looking guy?

I never agree with him.

Randdalf

The only reason campaigns exist in these shooters in the first place is as a marketing tool. Multiplayer doesn't look so good in trailers.

This campaign was the absolute best representation of that "modern FPS design" corridors image I have ever played. It's really quite the achievement. Very impressive!

Sethos

Banned
So, a mini-rant based on the hours I've had with it.

- Friendly AI is so fucking useless, they will run past enemies, not shoot baddies that are beating you down from behind despite standing right behind the baddie doing nothing. They just sit there and look generic, activate triggers and do the breaching for you.

- God-Tier enemy AI that can pop out and fire 18 shot straight in your face in a staggering time of 0.8 milliseconds. They will, due to the poor friendly AI, bumrush you quite often when reloading 20 meters away. Sometimes they will 'blink' around, like instantly move to cover and you can't hit shit. Frustrating. They can even shoot you when running and have the weapon pointed down. Most impressive.

- Scripted events will lock your weapon at times, so it can get to 'play' a trigger event. An RPG being fired or a car getting in position and you can't do shit. Simply annoying. Instead of doing coding this shit properly they just say to the player "Oh no wait, hold on let's have this trigger play ... Hold it, hold it, okay play".

- Hit indicator and feel of being hit is just frustrating as hell for some reason, it just annoys me to no end. Plus the bleed screen with marmite and now the amazing addition of green bile, what the fuck?!

- Okay this isn't exclusive to this game but it's doing it and taking the piss with it. Explosive oil drums in games, seriously can't we get rid of that clown comedy crap? They're everywhere in some missions and suddenly an enemy fleeing technical is carrying two well placed drums that can blow up. It's such a generic, parody farce.

- Wave spawning in shooters isn't new but somehow it just feels so ... eugh in this game. You can just see they are spawning right behind the walls as their running animations are just starting to play as they appear in sight. It's horrendous and there's just a million of them.

- Small complaint but what's up with all these shitty scope on the default weapons? Oh here's an MK17 ( 16? ) but we'll give you an annoying full-screen scope that will zoom on middle-mouse click - Deal with it. The M4 usually starts with the annoying ACOG and has a side mounted iron site so the quick aiming feels so sluggish, because he moves past the entire weapon to aim down it.

- Terrorists in Mark 0.5 IronMan suits, Super Nazi style. What. The. Fowl. It absorbs 7.62mm rounds, those middle-eastern terrorists have found a super metal.

- Another small complaint, what's with the recoil on the AA-12? That thing is renowned for having no / tiny recoil, CoD style but here it's just a two-shot-looking-at-sky weapon. Ruined.

- Scripted corridor shooter at its finest.

This game is so generic, exhausting to play, boring and mind-numbingly bad.

Top Bottom