• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter |OT| of Knock Knock, it's Tier 1

test_account

XP-39C²
I just went through the campaign at a standard pace on normal, barely took 4.
I see. If i guess that you hardly died through the game, am i correct then? I was surprised over how many hits i could take on hard difficulty before i died, but there is also a tier-1 and/or hardcore mode too, so i guess that is why hard difficulty wasnt that hard afterall. I still died a few times here and there which extended the length of the game.

I might be wrong about ~8 hours, but i know for sure that it took me longer than 4 hours on hard difficulty at least. The game didnt feel short to me.

SRTtoZ

I see. If i guess that you hardly died through the game, am i correct then? I was surprised over how many hits i could take on hard difficulty before i died, but there is also a tier-1 and/or hardcore mode too, so i guess that is why hard difficulty wasnt that hard afterall. I still died a few times here and there which extended the length of the game.

I might be wrong about ~8 hours, but i know for sure that it took me longer than 4 hours on hard difficulty at least. The game didnt feel short to me.

It took me about 6 hours on Easy so I have no clue how it took him 4. Must have just ran through the game always pushing forward without hesitation.

test_account

XP-39C²
It took me about 6 hours on Easy so I have no clue how it took him 4. Must have just ran through the game always pushing forward without hesitation.
Yeah, 4 hours sounds really fast to me. I beat the game over a three day period, and yesterday (when i beat the game) i played the last couple of mission, i used 2-3 hours on those alone. I died a few times, so i had to do some replaying. But playing on normal and pushing through the game, i guess it is possible to beat it around 4-5 hours.

Massa

I was looking forward to their review because they absolutely despise these on rails war FPS campaigns and they always go out of their way to tear them to pieces.

I did really agree with this part

Is that from a review of the game or a review of other gaming outlets?

Derrick01

Banned
Is that from a review of the game or a review of other gaming outlets?

That's from the review of the single player but it's one of the last closing paragraphs. He absolutely murders the game for the rest of the article.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/29/wot-i-think-medal-of-honor-warfighter/

I understand the frustration because they're one of the only places that routinely calls all of these games out for being stupid, not cherry picking one to jump all over.

ErikB said:
Would it kill them to find someone who actually wanted to play the game to review it?

At RPS? Yes. From what I've seen they all hate these and yet for their audience they went out and bought the game with their own money because EA would not send them a review code.

ErikB

Banned
At RPS? Yes. From what I've seen they all hate these and yet for their audience they went out and bought the game with their own money because EA would not send them a review code.

I just get the impression the gaming press is out of touch with what gamers want. Assuming what gamers want is more call of duty, which still seems likely.

netBuff

I just get the impression the gaming press is out of touch with what gamers want. Assuming what gamers want is more call of duty, which still seems likely.

Critics shouldn't have to pander to the mass market, they should be the Avantgarde of the medium

Derrick01

Banned

RPS is a PC site so they're not shackled by what mainstream "gamers" want thankfully.

Truth be told if you want my opinion I'm not even sure why they went out and bought it. I guess since it's technically a big release they wanted to do their duty but I don't think many PC gamers are clamoring to hear about Medal of Honor. I do always appreciate how creative they can get in their massacre of an on rails FPS though.

You know I wasn't really digging this game. But, after a pretty awful on rails shooting part where you are the gunner on a boat, for the grand finale of the level, you actually switch places with the driver and become the rail. I don't think I've ever done that in a game before. Pretty awesome.

The_Monk

I just saw the Gamespot article with the Tom Mc Shea. It seems the horrible interview before it was not enough for him so he decided to post an article.

What's with this guy and this game I don't know but man he sure don't want to let it go, uh?

Sojgat

I just saw the Gamespot article with the Tom Mc Shea. It seems the horrible interview before it was not enough for him so he decided to post an article.

What's with this guy and this game I don't know but man he sure don't want to let it go, uh?

His fixation on and singling out of this game is getting a bit ridiculous/pathetic. His criticisms (witless as many of them are) can be leveled at almost every other modern military shooter, and Warfighter actually plays a hell of a lot better than some of them.

netBuff

His fixation on and singling out of this game is getting a bit ridiculous/pathetic. His criticisms (witless as many of them are) can be leveled at almost every other modern military shooter, and Warfighter actually plays a hell of a lot better than some of them.

What it is about "this game" is that EA's marketing team has been banging in our heads that MoH: Warfighter is a "realistic experience" for a full year.

Tom McShea is rightfully calling them out on this - we need more articles and interviews like the one he did, what he asked was much more interesting than the typical PR-preview that only serves to bring across all marketing bullet-points (a style of interview even highly regarded magazines like EDGE love to print).

I agree, playing on "Normal", I'm about half-way through (Mission 6) after about 3,5 hours. But maybe that's just because I'm bad at FPS ;)

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
$0.02 from a dude bro -

Well Im almost finished with the PC version single player and I actually really like it.

The game looks and runs great on my average system. I haven't had any bugs some people have been complaining about, its been technically really sound for me so I am suprised people are saying it doesn't seem polished, that might be more a console version thing.

Also, I hooked it up to my TV for some comfy couch and I gotta say the 360 controller feels great with it. The controls are smooth and I dont mind using the controller at all, unlike on BF3 using a controller feels off and sluggish or something. Obviously mouse/keyboard is still quicker but the 360 controller definitely feels viable. I use the LB to lean all the time, love that.

The campaign is really fun so far (pretty sure Im at the end). You do break doors down and all that stuff people seem to hate, but I actually like it lol. I like watching my bearded Rambos blow doors open with shotguns then slow motion headshot terrorists. And they have done a better job of making the set pieces flow more naturally with the gameplay, it doesnt feel as disruptive as it did in the original MOH. Also I liked the characters, Im not going to be extreme and say I was super attached to anyone, but I found myself recognizing faces and names and put names with voices, so there was some connection going on. Near end game spoiler
When a certain character is killed, it actually caught me off guard and it really pissed me off. Like sincerely pissed me off. Suprised me that I had that reaction, so they did good there.

The shooting and sound are great. The sound is especially great. The gunfire and impact sounds are so satisfying I just like shooting anything. This is the only game that jumps into my head besides BF3 where the sound was so ridiculously impressive it stole the show at times. Also, the shooting and gunplay feels like it did in the original, which was great. I like the look and feel of the guns very much, as mentioned above they succeed in making fun to use lots different weapons and shoot at things.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I mean it is what it is... its a shoot em up FPS with scripts and explosions. But I definitely didn't think it was bad at that. You either like that or you dont, I cant see how someone would give COD a 9 or 10 then give this a 4 or 5. It's definitely not a 4 or 5 on PC, maybe the console versions are just busted as fuck I cant say. I'm not going to say this is game of the generation or anything insane, but I thought it was a solid and fun military FPS. Not a sim by any stretch of the means, but definitely more grounded in reality than COD. (Not saying thats good or bad, I love COD. Its just different).

But oh well that my two cents. I enjoy these games. I like the CODs, I like the Battlefields, and I like these. MOH is actually my favorite single player experience out of all these by far... so its sad this one getting thrown to the wolves. Im sure some people actually didnt enjoy it and thats cool, but there have to be a lot of people using this as a proxy so they can flex up against COD withouth actually flexing up against COD, cause these scores are absurd. Oh well, whatev. I paid 29.99 with the the premium code (graciously donated by a fellow gaffer! :p ) and feel satisfied. If the MP has some legs then I would have paid 59.99 for the whole package and felt satisfied.

And I haven't gotten into the MP yet so I cant comment on that. I've played like 1 match and it was fun but Im going to dig in more this weekend.

Edit - Just to emphasize cause I didnt really elaborate... the game looks incredible. I mean really good. I have an average system (Phenom 955 & 560Ti) and its runs well too. Very impressive visually.

Edit Deuce - I believe they did mimic a few set pieces from the Act of Valor flick and I liked it, very cool sequences :p

Edit Trice - I did LOL during the airborne scene
They are about to jump and one guy walks up all serious, "If I die... give this to my ex wife." Then he busts out his middle finger. Hahaha that was good.

Jackpot

Banned
Finished the SP. Abysmal. As bad as Act of Valor story-wise.

At no point during the game did I think "wow, this is the climax, this is the high point". Every level felt like filler.

$0.02 from a dude bro -

Well Im almost finished with the PC version single player and I actually really like it.

The game looks and runs great on my average system. I haven't had any bugs some people have been complaining about, its been technically really sound for me so I am suprised people are saying it doesn't seem polished, that might be more a console version thing.

Also, I hooked it up to my TV for some comfy couch and I gotta say the 360 controller feels great with it. The controls are smooth and I dont mind using the controller at all, unlike on BF3 using a controller feels off and sluggish or something. Obviously mouse/keyboard is still quicker but the 360 controller definitely feels viable. I use the LB to lean all the time, love that.

The campaign is really fun so far (pretty sure Im at the end). You do break doors down and all that stuff people seem to hate, but I actually like it lol. I like watching my bearded Rambos blow doors open with shotguns then slow motion headshot terrorists. And they have done a better job of making the set pieces flow more naturally with the gameplay, it doesnt feel as disruptive as it did in the original MOH. Also I liked the characters, Im not going to be extreme and say I was super attached to anyone, but I found myself recognizing faces and names and put names with voices, so there was some connection going on. Near end game spoiler
When a certain character is killed, it actually caught me off guard and it really pissed me off. Like sincerely pissed me off. Suprised me that I had that reaction, so they did good there.

The shooting and sound are great. The sound is especially great. The gunfire and impact sounds are so satisfying I just like shooting anything. This is the only game that jumps into my head besides BF3 where the sound was so ridiculously impressive it stole the show at times. Also, the shooting and gunplay feels like it did in the original, which was great. I like the look and feel of the guns very much, as mentioned above they succeed in making fun to use lots different weapons and shoot at things.

Overall, I enjoyed it. I mean it is what it is... its a shoot em up FPS with scripts and explosions. But I definitely didn't think it was bad at that. You either like that or you dont, I cant see how someone would give COD a 9 or 10 then give this a 4 or 5. It's definitely not a 4 or 5 on PC, maybe the console versions are just busted as fuck I cant say. I'm not going to say this is game of the generation or anything insane, but I thought it was a solid and fun military FPS. Not a sim by any stretch of the means, but definitely more grounded in reality than COD. (Not saying thats good or bad, I love COD. Its just different).

But oh well that my two cents. I enjoy these games. I like the CODs, I like the Battlefields, and I like these. MOH is actually my favorite single player experience out of all these by far... so its sad this one getting thrown to the wolves. Im sure some people actually didnt enjoy it and thats cool, but there have to be a lot of people using this as a proxy so they can flex up against COD withouth actually flexing up against COD, cause these scores are absurd. Oh well, whatev. I paid 29.99 with the the premium code (graciously donated by a fellow gaffer! :p ) and feel satisfied. If the MP has some legs then I would have paid 59.99 for the whole package and felt satisfied.

And I haven't gotten into the MP yet so I cant comment on that. I've played like 1 match and it was fun but Im going to dig in more this weekend.

Edit - Just to emphasize cause I didnt really elaborate... the game looks incredible. I mean really good. I have an average system (Phenom 955 & 560Ti) and its runs well too. Very impressive visually.

Edit Deuce - I believe they did mimic a few set pieces from the Act of Valor flick and I liked it, very cool sequences :p

Edit Trice - I did LOL during the airborne scene
They are about to jump and one guy walks up all serious, "If I die... give this to my ex wife." Then he busts out his middle finger. Hahaha that was good.
I agree with pretty much all of your two cents actually.

ErikB

Banned

Seems the dude thought Jack Thompson was right all along.

Dibbz

I like MoH Warfighter but I gotta say he is pretty spot on. One thing I didn't like about the SP in this one is it felt like you were fighting just for the sake of it. In the first game it started off like that but it slowly because more and more about fighting to save your team mates rather than trying to save the world by killing every AK wielding fella at a time. By the end I didn't even know what I was doing and for who. It was just new level kill more foreign people. Really let down considering how great the first one was.

Glad the MP is so good though. I'm having a blast with it.

Victrix

*beard*
So. Many. Bugs.

Black screen post match. Found out you don't have to dashboard out, it's just the post match menu completely failing to load, so if you sit for the full minute, it loads the next round.

Stuck in fall back. No fix that I could find, just no way to rejoin the match, period. Quit out!

No weapon model, at all, even ADS. Customized my weapon while 'live', it then vanished for the rest of the match! (until I hit the stuck in fall back bug that is...)

Unable to access the start menu, at all. Couldn't change weapon/class for the rest of that match. No back button for scoreboard either. Hell, I couldn't even hit next/previous at the match summary screen at the end of the round.

Hard lockup on the main menu.

A few random hard lockups mid-match.

Party members ending up on the opposite team.

Entire UI/menu item elements completely failing to load, just displaying loading circles.

Surprisingly I have not yet spawned out of the world or stuck in geo. PC only quirk? Who knows.

There's probably others, those are just the ones I ran into last night.

Jackpot

Banned
Another thing I hated about the SP was the lack of weapons variety. All LaRue rifles up until you get the SCARs. Occasional scripted diversion with sniper rifle. And the enemies used nothing but the same 3 AKs. Could have at least changed it up in when you're fighting the arms dealer's men or the ISI. And MP even highlights how plenty of US spec ops outfits have access to HK416s.

Also that mothetr-effin' hit detection. First I thought they were realistically representing bullet spread. Then after enough playing with guns with tracers I saw the bullets were just clipping through the enemy models.

Are there any mp vids where players are using anything other than the DD Mk 18? Trying to see the rest of the guns, dammit.

And sniper rifles don't count.

Dennis

Banned
A few times I had to reload a checkpoint because the progression was borked for some reason.

Nothing too bad but still annoying of course.

Sober

Other than seeing different animations, is there any reason to use the different Breaches?
Honestly I really just liked the foot + flashbang. The hand held weapons felt awkward (lol just a second, just hacking the knob off), and the shape charges were felt like overdoing it IMO.

daevv

Honestly I really just liked the foot + flashbang. The hand held weapons felt awkward (lol just a second, just hacking the knob off), and the shape charges were felt like overdoing it IMO.

That's what I use. It's actually the fastest one too. Came in handy when I was going for the achievement where you had to finish the training course in 18 seconds.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Other than seeing different animations, is there any reason to use the different Breaches?

Hahaha not that I could tell, just seemed to be a showcase of crazy door breaching methods. I liked using the high explosives on the rattiest wooden doors just for dramatic effect.

test_account

XP-39C²
It should come down where you were directing it on your death.
Oh ok. I've died two times when using a guided missle, but both times i didnt notice any kill nor heard a big explosion. But maybe the spawn time waiting did so that i didnt hear the explosion.

So. Many. Bugs.

Surprisingly I have not yet spawned out of the world or stuck in geo. PC only quirk? Who knows.

The PS3 version has been very stable for me. The only bug i've actually seen (that i can remember right now at least) is that the weapon reload animation isnt always registering eventhough that the weapon is actually reloading. Other than that i've had zero crashes, been playing online for about 6 hours.

The PS3 version has been very stable for me. The only bug i've actually seen (that i can remember right now at least) is that the weapon reload animation isnt always registering eventhough that the weapon is actually reloading. Other than that i've had zero crashes, been playing online for about 6 hours.

I'm on the PS3 version as well and haven't encountered any issues during 4 hours of multiplayer. I did have sound cut out for an explosion during the singleplayer but nothing like falling through the map or scripted sequences not activating.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm on the PS3 version as well and haven't encountered any issues during 4 hours of multiplayer. I did have sound cut out for an explosion during the singleplayer but nothing like falling through the map or scripted sequences not activating.
Yeah, the single player was very bug free for me too. I cant remember a single bug actually. Maybe some sound bug appeared, but nothing that i can remember in specific right now.

So. Many. Bugs.

Black screen post match. Found out you don't have to dashboard out, it's just the post match menu completely failing to load, so if you sit for the full minute, it loads the next round.

Stuck in fall back. No fix that I could find, just no way to rejoin the match, period. Quit out!

No weapon model, at all, even ADS. Customized my weapon while 'live', it then vanished for the rest of the match! (until I hit the stuck in fall back bug that is...)

Unable to access the start menu, at all. Couldn't change weapon/class for the rest of that match. No back button for scoreboard either. Hell, I couldn't even hit next/previous at the match summary screen at the end of the round.

Hard lockup on the main menu.

A few random hard lockups mid-match.

Party members ending up on the opposite team.

Entire UI/menu item elements completely failing to load, just displaying loading circles.

Good grief. :(

Yeah, I've been talked out of this one. What a bloody shame.

daevv

Server was updated on Nov 1st

Update also removed the infinite 30mins of double XP exploit on 360. :(

Heads up! We released a new server update today across all platforms that is currently being rolled out to all servers. Rollout should be completed within 24 hours. Fixes include:

Console

Game server name fix that addresses stat discrepancies
Stat errors in Battlelog vs. in-game
Stats that reset after rebooting the game
‘Warchief’ and “Global Warfighter’ achievements/trophies not unlocking

PC

Game server name fix that addresses stat discrepancies
Stat errors in Battlelog vs. in-game
Stats that reset after rebooting the game
Addressed the issue of players incorrectly matchmaking into password-protected servers

Please report all bugs in the forum. Thanks for your patience and continued support!

http://battlelog.medalofhonor.com/mohw/news/view/2832654787442696714/

Victrix

*beard*
I've had my fun with the MP, and ironically, despite the various bugs, it's the grenades of all things that are killing my interest

No cook time grenades that detonate shortly after they hit, everyone having two grenades, assault with two grenades and two tubes, long throw distance? Yeeeeeep. It's like CoD4 with 3x frag and sonic boom on at all times.

I also did some digging into the weapons, and from what I can tell, they went with the 'everyone is the same' balance method, which is boooooring. Almost all guns in the same class have the same RoF and same damage profile, which means the only significant differentiator becomes recoil - or to put it another way, find the gun with the lowest recoil, use that only.

Snipers are also fairly insane. The Tac50 can oneshot you with a body hit, and the sway in this game is wayyyyyy easier to manage than CoD. Their G18 secondary is a good up close fully auto pistol, and they get two proximity mines. Joy.

Beyond all that, there's a deep lack of understanding in terms of map layouts and game modes. Spawn trapping in their Domination mode is a routine occurance, Hotspot and Combat Mission are really painful on some maps. I'm sorry, spawn camping in an FPS in 2012? Just no.

Oddly, the maps themselves I rather like, and they seem to have completely different areas/layouts in TDM (most pretty fun), but a combination of game rules and spawn rules in conjunction with the layout of the mode objectives cause serious gameflow problems.

Oh, and being on your own without a fireteam buddy in this game sucks bad.

Despite the negatives I'm listing here, there are actually quite a few things I like about the MP, but it's just not polished enough - the game was either shoved out the door too early, the engine transition was too painful, or there wasn't enough focus on refinement and iteration on gameplay concepts. And that UI? Oi.

Whatever the case, I just don't see a way for this to compete with Halo or (particularly) CoD.

The slowed pace of combat and emphasis on the two man fireteams is cool, and as a core concept, it's solid, but it just lacks the oomph to push it over the edge.

Taken entirely on its own merits, ignoring comparisons or inevitable player migrations to other fps games, it's competent enough, but I'm doubtful that EA will keep DC working on patching and refining it. I could be wrong, but uh... history keeps me skeptical. If they do polish off the rawest edges, it could be an enjoyable harbor for people who completely hate CoD or Halo, but if I'd be surprised if this could hold their attention over BF3, unless they just totally hate vehicles.

edit: And the utterly transparent and worthless integration of Origin and Battlelog in this game is a complete embarassment. The whole 'VISIT BATTLELOG DAILY TO SPEND TOKENS!!!!!!!!' is completely unnecessary.

Varth

I also did some digging into the weapons, and from what I can tell, they went with the 'everyone is the same' balance method, which is boooooring. Almost all guns in the same class have the same RoF and same damage profile, which means the only significant differentiator becomes recoil - or to put it another way, find the gun with the lowest recoil, use that only.

So true. Even with its faults, I'm having fun with multi, but this bothers me as well. After a while I lost interest, picked up the weapons thwy were using the most to kill me, and that's it. No real space for finding a loadout of your own.

Snipers are also fairly insane. The Tac50 can oneshot you with a body hit, and the sway in this game is wayyyyyy easier to manage than CoD. Their G18 secondary is a good up close fully auto pistol, and they get two proximity mines. Joy.

True, but it must be said that lines of sight are VERY limited in the game, so I don't think it's a real issue.

Oh, and being on your own without a fireteam buddy in this game sucks bad.

Being forced in a team with a buddy that doesn't get the buddy system perks at all is far worse. How many times have you screamed at the screen "get to a EFFING cover so I can spawn and help you"? I know I do this A LOT. Every single time I get in a FT with some random who gets the system we end up dominating even with a lower KD ratio than other players.

The slowed pace of combat and emphasis on the two man fireteams is cool, and as a core concept, it's solid, but it just lacks the oomph to push it over the edge.

Definitely. With more polish and a bigger choice of maps/modes (why in hell there's not a single no respawn mode?) multi could have been something.

ErikB

Banned
By the by, I find I am enjoying the 2010 game on 360 far more using the 'marksman' control type, that puts lean and peak on the left trigger, and aim down sights as a toggle on pressing the right stick. It means you can lean and peak and use the sights/scope without having to hold down both the left trigger and left bumper at the same time, which makes the cover system far more usable (it also puts sprint on the left bumper and crouch on pressing the left stick, which is... taking a bit of getting used to). But sprinting between cover positions, sliding in to cover (hitting crouch while running - and it slides you in the direction you are running not the way you are facing you you can sort of slide sideways) and then leaning out using the left stick to shoot makes the game vastly entertaining to me.

Furio53

Got it yesterday, playing the MP and having a blast.

Homerun mode is a lot of fun, really brings me back to the Counterstrike days. It's hilarious being in a prty and being the last one alive and everyones yelling at you. :p

Top Bottom