• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04 - 10 Dec (HOLY ****ING CRAP edition)

smallsoft said:
Uh...Final Fantasy XII was the send highest selling game in November. Niche my ass.

Yeah and Final Fantasy wasn't on your list. There's a difference between having a Mercedes versus a Kia.

Odysseus

Banned
soundwave05 said:
No, I don't think any of those will be system sellers in the U.S. Write it down and take a picture if you want.

Individually system sellers, no. As a group of games that add to the console's diversity and thereby result in increased sales, could happen.

You say "what makes this sell to anyone other than the Halo/Gears/shooter gamer" out of one side of your mouth and then dismiss the games people mention that add diversity to the lineup out of the other.

Terrell

smallsoft said:
Quite a chain reaction you have there, not so sure that Japanese support will be enough to set it off.
So you're honestly going to argue that companies like Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Konami and (to a lesser extent) Sega don't have a major impact on system sales? Capcom support alone has boosted positive conversation and game sales for 360. PS3's only positive press at the moment is it has FFXIII from SQE and MGS4 from Konami. These companies are very relevant and have major opinion-swaying franchise bombs to drop, so considering that this board constantly claims "it's all about the games", it's time to pay the freakin' piper and fess up that these companies control a massively significant userbase of console gamers.

Branduil

Another thing to point out is that one of Nintendo's problems has been that their home consoles haven't been appealing to the same people who are buying their handhelds. Even if they didn't reach any new demographics at all in the US, if they could cause the Wii to appeal to the same people who bought GBAs it would still be a huge success.

soundwave05 said:
Even a lot of 360 fanatics would look at that list and tell you straight up that's not a very mainstream-looking list of hit titles.

Well yeah because 360 fanatics like only Halo 3 right? So why would they want these other games? The whole point of these new games is to attract new gamers...

woah logic watch out!

smallsoft

soundwave05 said:
No, I don't think any of those will be system sellers in the U.S. Write it down and take a picture if you want. Even a lot of 360 fanatics would look at that list and tell you straight up that's not a very mainstream-looking list of hit titles.

Wait wait wait....so you complain that MS is selling to only one segment of the market, so when they start securing titles to appeal to other segments, you call all of their IPs niche??

Yeah whatever.

Sega bring over RGG2 or face the consequences

untitled1fm2.jpg

Odysseus said:
Individually system sellers, no. As a group of games that add to the console's diversity and thereby result in increased sales, could happen.

You say "what makes this sell to anyone other than the Halo/Gears/shooter gamer" out of one side of your mouth and then dismiss the games people mention that add diversity to the lineup out of the other.

Truth is this never happens. I see these stupid list wars all the time with the PSP/DS as well ... it's whether or not you have the real big guns. Not a bunch of pretty good games.

Dreamcast had a lot of pretty good games too. Not even system sellers or games to expand its audience though. Again, it's just as easy to be uber-critical about the 360 ... hell even moreso since it's already been on the market uncontested for basically a year now.

soundwave05 said:
Truth is this never happens. I see these stupid list wars all the time with the PSP/DS as well ... it's whether or not you have the real big guns. Not a bunch of pretty good games.

Dreamcast had a lot of pretty good games too. Not even system sellers or games to expand its audience though.

So you have a time machine! COOL!@

Karma Kramer said:
So you have a time machine! COOL!@

Well I like Elebits on the Wii. I'm not going to list as part of the big titles that I think could be a blockbuster though or help the Wii sales wise. If you're going to criticize me for "crystal ball logic" how about some of the great "well the Wii novelty will wear off by next spring logic.

Odysseus

Banned
soundwave05 said:

Dreamcast had a lot of pretty good games too. Not even system sellers or games to expand its audience though.

So you doom Xbox 360 to Xbox level mediocrity yet you have Wii going leaps and bounds above recorded gaming history with "no way, no how" as the answer to whether it could possibly be another GameCube. Xbox 360 has nothing, Wii has got it all. It's only a matter of time, 360 will be dead and Wii will be on top of the world. Oh, and if 360 beats Wii in January, that doesn't actually mean anything despite Wii being hotter than the hottest hotness. OK, got it.

bigswords

Odysseus said:
I think the core market for Nintendo handhelds has not changed. Yes, I think children still make up the vast majority of that market. I recognize the DS is doing much better in Japan than the GBA and that market's dynamics may very well be different than this one, but in the US the DS is on the same track as before and I would say is selling to the same people (or audience) as before.

What about Asia, I seen more older gamers , casual players picking up the DS. Heck even my mom loves brain age.

The DS main audience is more of the casual side, if not why are there so many non-games....

soundwave05 said:
Yeah and Final Fantasy wasn't on your list. There's a difference between having a Mercedes versus a Kia.

Mistwalker practically is Square. Given the fact that Square just churns out shitty sequels a decent number of the more hardcore JRPG fans are gonna look to something else. Especially since FFXIII won't hit the US till 2008. Also nothing else JRPG(excpet white night) is confirmed for PS3. However 360 has plenty of titles. JRPG aren't just FF in the US. Xenosaga a new series from an ex square employee sold 500,000 copies in the US (though II and III sold poorly) so new series can become big. Tales of Synphonia for GCN sold 400,000 and Trusty Bell is gonna appeal to those exact same people. Star Ocean and VP sell decently in the US. Infinite Undiscovery should sell to these people especially considering no new VP or SO has been announced.

smallsoft

Terrell said:
So you're honestly going to argue that companies like Namco, Capcom, Square Enix, Konami and (to a lesser extent) Sega don't have a major impact on system sales? Capcom support alone has boosted positive conversation and game sales for 360. PS3's only positive press at the moment is it has FFXIII from SQE and MGS4 from Konami. These companies are very relevant and have major opinion-swaying franchise bombs to drop, so considering that this board constantly claims "it's all about the games", it's time to pay the freakin' piper and fess up that these companies control a massively significant userbase of console gamers.

Japanese developers definately have carved out their own gaming marketshare in teh US and Europe, but the traditional franchises that these Jrpg/JP developer fans love wont be on the Wii.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Odysseus said:
So you doom Xbox 360 to Xbox level mediocrity yet you have Wii going leaps and bounds above recorded gaming history with "no way, no how" as the answer to whether it could possibly be another GameCube. Xbox 360 has nothing, Wii has got it all. It's only a matter of time, 360 will be dead and Wii will be on top of the world. Oh, and if 360 beats Wii in January, that doesn't actually mean anything despite Wii being hotter than the hottest hotness. OK, got it.

You're starting to grow on me. Stop it.

Odysseus said:

Nope, I just thought I'd put the 360 under the same icy microscope you seem to be putting the Wii under. Actually not nearly as badly. The points that I'm putting are backed up by sales numbers, not half-assed assumptions about what might happen next year.

The 360 is not tracking that much higher than the XBox 1 in North America. The system is a failure in Europe and Japan to date. Microsoft has not been able to sell anything beyond their usual style/demographic software wise. Gears of War did not cause a large hardware boost. The 360 got bailed out in November by hardware shortages ... the PS2 didn't need this to dominate the GC/XBox in Nov. 2001.

Of course it's just not as popular to point this out. But you know if you want to dish it out, fine. Don't come crying when you have to be on recieving end. Now you know what it feels like to be on the other side of that street. Kudos.

Rocked

Wii software sales will pick up when they can ship more hardware.

And don't forget Wii Play comes with a controller. In theory it could stay in the Euro and Japanese charts for years for this reason.

Odysseus

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Nope, I just thought I'd put the 360 under the same icy microscope you seem to be putting the Wii under. Actually not nearly as badly. The points that I'm putting are backed up by sales numbers, not half-assed assumptions about what might happen next year.

The 360 is not tracking that much higher than the XBox 1 in North America. The system is a failure in Europe and Japan to date. Microsoft has not been able to sell anything beyond their usual style/demographic software wise. Gears of War did not cause a large hardware boost. The 360 got bailed out in November by hardware shortages ... the PS2 didn't need this to dominate the GC/XBox in Nov. 2001.

Of course it's just not as popular to point this out. But you know if you want to dish it out, fine. Don't come crying when you have to be on recieving end. Now you know what it feels like to be on the other side of that street. Kudos.

You're backed up by sales numbers and not assumptions... yet you assume a lot about the Wii, since there are presently no sales number outside of a launch. And you say I need to know how to take it, yet I have said I am willing to admit to being wrong if it is proven that I am while you balk at a simple sales wager. Good show. Oh to be inside the mind of soundwave to see how that thing works, because it's truly a marvel.

Let me ask you this, when do you expect Wii to surpass 360 in US NPD?

Odysseus said:
You're backed up by sales numbers and not assumptions... yet you assume a lot about the Wii, since there are presently no sales number outside of a launch. And you say I need to know how to take it, yet you balk at a simple sales wager. Good show.

Let me ask you this, when do you expect Wii to surpass 360 in US NPD?

Depends on too many factors. It took even the PS2 still a while to catch up to the Dreamcast in North America for instance.

I do think the Wii will far outsell the 360's first year totals in Europe and Japan and possibly be no.1 in both those markets by next fall. Well in Japan, they're actually no.1 already. The main thing for Nintendo is to target Sony this next year and exploit them.

Your wager was ridiculously slanted into a situation you know you'd have a reasonable chance at winning, unlike some of your bolder claims of complete failure for the Wii outside of Japan. Doesn't look like you're willing to walk the walk on your bigger claims ... January NPD ... gimme a break.

hadareud

The Translator
why do people think that the 360 will magically stop selling now that the Wii is out?

Even if they only sold 1.5 million in Europe so far that doesn't mean that Nintendo only has to sell 1.6 to overtake them. Same for the US.

With a pricedrop around the corner it should be even more difficult to catch up anytime soon.

Odysseus

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Depends on too many factors. It took even the PS2 still a while to catch up to the Dreamcast in North America for instance.

I do think the Wii will far outsell the 360's first year totals in Europe and Japan and possibly be no.1 in both those markets by next fall. Well in Japan, they're actually no.1 already. The main thing for Nintendo is to target Sony this next year and exploit them.

Your wager was ridiculously slanted into a situation you know you'd have a reasonable chance at winning, unlike some of your bolder claims of complete failure for the Wii outside of Japan. Doesn't look like you're willing to walk the walk on your bigger claims ... January NPD ... gimme a break.

So when does Wii surpass 360 in NPD? When does Wii begin to actually chip away at the lead?

jimbo

Banned
soundwave05 said:

You know if some of you irrational and irritating Nintendo fans continue to ignore all the other facts of the market, then why not just get down to the gritty of it.

The facts are the 360 is the next generation leader, whether you like it or not, at between 6 to 7 million SOLD right about now. And yes, it did outsell the Wii in its launch month in the US. Launch shortages you say? Oh wait, what's that line Nintendo fans always love to use when shortages are brought up?....Oh yeah..."Not my problem".

So when the Wii manages to catch, let alone beat the 360 world-wide, wake me up. Until then........

Edit: And all this talk about the 360 bombing in Europe needs to stop too. It had already sold 700,000 in the UK alone as of the end of Nov. It may very well close in on 1 million by the end of the year and 2 million in all of Europe. Again wake me up when the Wii gets there again.

http://www.mcvuk.com/Christmas-cracker-ahead-after-a-record-breaking-sales-week

Odysseus said:
So when does Wii surpass 360 in NPD? When does Wii begin to actually chip away at the lead?

If the 360 is to be the Wii's main competetior, I would take that any day over the PS2 that the GCN had to face if I'm Nintendo.

The 360 is tracking pretty much the same as the original XBox, (possibly even lower in Japan and Europe I think). The PS2 was a monster. The 360 doesn't really scare anyone.

It's a given that a one year headstart was going to get you that. As long as Nintendo continues to do what they're doing with the Wii, keeping it affordable, keep making content for gamers and non-gamers, gaining mindshare ... they will be successful. Much moreso than the GameCube.

And if you're an irritated XBot ... good. Now you know what it feels like when you hear the moronic "I wants HD graphixxx .... so Wii has to be doomed to be GameCubers TWO!!! DS sell only because its dur Game Boy. Everyone has to like the same games that I like" idiot logic. The points I made about the 360 are factual, but I wanted to see how you guys would respond ... and there ya go. Lots of excuses and grumpiness.

smallsoft

soundwave05 said:

I am sorry but your arguments are tiresome. The 360 is out one year, with a slew of well known heavy hitters next year, not to mention what will be announced at E3 and such...

While the Wii has virtually no dev support in the west, some in Japan, and you are predicting success for the Wii given launch demand, and myspace interaction? Then when anyone questions you on what will sell the wii beyond internet communities you say its too hard to tell since we are only looking at traditional software.

While, really, you don't have the first clue what will push Wii because very little has been announced, reflecting the poor 3rd party support.

Odysseus

Banned
soundwave05 said:
If the 360 is to be the Wii's main competetior, I would take that any day over the PS2 that the GCN had to face if I'm Nintendo.

The 360 is tracking pretty much the same as the original XBox, (possibly even lower in Japan and Europe I think). The PS2 was a monster. The 360 doesn't really scare anyone.

It's a given that a one year headstart was going to get you that. As long as Nintendo continues to do what they're doing with the Wii, keeping it affordable, keep making content for gamers and non-gamers ... they will be successful. Much moreso than the GameCube.

Daggumit, do you what you're accusing me of not doing. Put up or shut up. Tell me when you think Wii will start to chip away at the lead, and a general timeframe of when it will be gone.

Tell you what, you've balked at January because you thought I just wanted something that would tilt in my favor, whatever that is supposed to mean. As if Nintendo is the only company that slows down after Christmas. I just wanted something with a more immediate payoff rather than something that will just linger for months with no resolution. But take your pick.

Jan-March NPD, If Wii > 360 cumulative for those months, I'm out until the April NPD data comes up. 360 > Wii, bye bye soundwave.

Or

Considering 360 has a 3 million unit lead (roughly) on Wii right now, if at any point during calendar year 2007 NPD data Wii is within 2 million units, bye bye Odysseus until the following month's NPD data is reported. However, if during the same timeframe the 360 lead grows to 4 million units, see you later.

Option A, quicker result, guaranteed winner/loser. Option B, longer term, perhaps no one is sent packing. Or Option C, just continue talking hyperbole. That's fine, too.

Striek

Oh god, the proclamations of the supposed success of the Wii have been ringing non-stop for the last 4 weeks (yes, before it launched). And they've been getting bolder and bolder. Personally I cannot wait until March (Feb NPD), where I'm confident we'll see a quick about-face.

smallsoft said:
I am sorry but your arguments are tiresome. The 360 is out one year, with a slew of well known heavy hitters next year, not to mention what will be announced at E3 and such...

While the Wii has virtually no dev support in the west, some in Japan, and you are predicting success for the Wii given launch demand, and myspace interaction? Then when anyone questions you on what will sell the wii beyond internet communities you say its too hard to tell since we are only looking at traditional software.

While, really, you don't have the first clue what will push Wii because very little has been announced.

Tough cookies then. The 360 is on the market for a full year with no real direct competetion and they're still selling to same ol' rung. If anything it's the 360 contigent that now sounds like the GameCube fans on GAF of yesteryear. "Wait for game X! Look at next year's lineup! Wait for a price drop!".

If the Wii sells only 500k in November 2007, people would be up in arms about it calling the system doomed for sure. Same goes for the PS3. Since that's (gasp) only GameCube territory. Of course when the 360 does it ... well, wait till next year, wait till this, wait till that.

If anything is tiresome it's this double standard. Aside from the same people who talked shit about the DS for like two years and now have nothing to say for themselves but some half-assed damage control. The 360 has a good oppurtunity but it's own fair share of problems. If you're going to raise a huge stink over the Wii, then I think you really lose your right to wave that yellow card when someone else points out the 360's shortcomings (of which there have been more than several).

AniHawk

Striek said:
Oh god, the proclamations of the supposed success of the Wii have been ringing non-stop for the last 4 weeks (yes, before it launched). And they've been getting bolder and bolder. Personally I cannot wait until March (Feb NPD), where I'm confident we'll see a quick about-face.

Oh yeah. Because February NPD decides ****ing everything.

Striek

AniHawk said:
Of course it doesn't, but it'll shut up arguments pervading nearly every ****ing thread these days that the Wii is an unstoppable juggernaut that has already taken over the world.

And it'll be funny to laugh at the PS3 figures too, I guess.

AniHawk

Striek said:
Of course it doesn't, but it'll shut up arguments pervading nearly every ****ing thread these days that the Wii is an unstoppable juggernaut that has already taken over the world.

February's a four-week month that always posts low numbers. IIRC, the only other months that usually post sales as low are August, July, and April.

smallsoft

soundwave05 said:
Tough cookies then. The 360 is on the market for a full year with no real direct competetion and they're still selling to same ol' rung. If anything it's the 360 contigent that now sounds like the GameCube fans on GAF of yesteryear. "Wait for game X! Look at next year's lineup! Wait for a price drop!".

If the Wii sells only 500k in November 2007, people would be up in arms about it calling the system doomed for sure. Same goes for the PS3. Since that's (gasp) only GameCube territory. Of course when the 360 does it ... well, wait till next year, wait till this, wait till that.

If anything is tiresome it's this double standard. Aside from the same people who talked shit about the DS for like two years and now have nothing to say for themselves but some half-assed damage control.

Uhh...i don't think people will be predicting doom and failure for Wii if it only sells 500k during Nov 07. Underperforming maybe, but utter failure, no.

As for the whole "wait game" argument, please no one expects a new console to have its best software out during year one.

And i like how you are still dodging the wii support questions, where are the announcements soundwave? At this point last year, MS had Mistwalker, capcom, silicon knights, bioware and a slew of other companies announcing their year 1 and 2 plans for 360. But nary a word on the Wii front...

Wait...you mean to tell me 3rd parties aren't backing Nintendo's new console? Surprise surprise....

Those are some dirty tricks there. Trying to get this thread to 700 posts before hardware numbers are revealed, you guys pulled out NPD arguments. Dirty Dirty Dirty.

smallsoft said:
Uhh...i don't think people will be predicting doom and failure for Wii if it only sells 500k during Nov 07. Underperforming maybe, but utter failure, no.

As for the whole "wait game" argument, please no one expects a new console to have its best software out during year one.

And i like how you are still dodging the wii support questions, where are the announcements soundwave? At this point last year, MS had Mistwalker, capcom, silicon knights, bioware and a slew of other companies announcing their year 1 and 2 plans for 360. But nary a word on the Wii front...

Nintendo has had announcements from Square-Enix, Capcom, EA, Ubi Soft and others. They may not be games that you're specifically interested in, but that's a moot point. There's a reason why Nintendo sold Silicon Knights btw. How that's Rare deal working out for MS again? Yeah, thought so.

Nintendo needs supplimentary support, they don't need 3rd parties to carry their console like Sony and MS do. If they get a good userbase going early on, they will get support to fill in the periods between their big releases. That was the main problem with the N64 and GCN. If they take Japan ... this dynamic changes. I don't care if the 3rd party support is from Mars, Nintendo just needs someone else to fill in the blanks and suppliment what they bring to the table.

Striek

Yeah, but Wii will be in stock then, so it and 360 have the an equal chance to post low numbers. Besides you have to get used to it too, you should already know, next-generation has no winners, only varying degrees of losers. And thats probably best for GAFs sanity.

Branduil

I think games like No More Heroes, SSX, DQ Swords, and FF:CC count as 3rd-party games.

Of course the 360 needs 3rd parties a lot more than the Wii does.

jimbo

Banned
AniHawk said:

Ani I'm pretty sure what he's reffering to is Nintendo's supply shortages will be fixed and it will be far enough from the launch for both the Wii and 360 to be selling normally based on their own merit, where no one can use the excuse of it's "launch buzz" or "shortages".

It will be a regular month of sales. One of the many regular months of sales where console wars are won, not launches, or Christmas boost months...but the other 10 months out of the year, where the PS2 kicked the crap out of everyone else to gain the gap it did over the years.

smallsoft

soundwave05 said:
Nintendo has had announcements from Square-Enix, Capcom, EA, Ubi Soft and others. There's a reason why Nintendo sold Silicon Knights btw. How that's Rare deal working out for MS again? Yeah, thought so.

Nintendo needs supplimentary support, they don't need 3rd parties to carry their console like Sony and MS do. If they get a good userbase going early on, they will get support to fill in the periods between their big releases. That was the main problem with the N64 and GCN.

Wait, what did they got from square enix, another crystal cronicles and a DQ spin-off? More than MS got, but not impressive to say the least.

And, uh, what are Capcom's ambitious plans for the Wii? Nothing compared to their GC plans, considering how the "Capcom 5" turned out.

And please with the EA/Ubisoft support, red steele was crap, and EA isn't known for quality.

Bottom line is you can't name 5 games which will sell Wii to their intended audience in 07, or beyond for that matter.

Top Bottom