• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04 - 10 Dec (HOLY ****ING CRAP edition)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
jimbo said:
I've always wondered why there's such a big difference between Media Create, Dengeki and Famitsu. Does anyone know?
Maybe someone should take all three and add some kind of formula to figure out the real sales data.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Here's an interesting question. Let's see if we can get some math wizards on the case. This question is not really related to Wii.

If PS3 were to continue to sell at the rate of 50,000 consoles per week and Xbox 360 returns to normal numbers (I'm expecting them to do that, but I'm also technically expecting PS3 to rise when stock actually becomes available), and PS3 sells at about the same rate as the 360 in America (250,000 per five week month), excluding European sales, when would the PS3 catch the 360?

Also, what time will the PS3 leave the station if it is heading 80 mph north at the same time Keith Hernandez spits on Kramer at shea stadium?

Let's suppose 360 would have 7 million sold excluding Europe and then PS3 has 1 million sold (at the end of this year, sans Europe).

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Fuzzy said:
Maybe someone should take all three and add some kind of formula to figure out the real sales data.
Maybe ioi should do this? Oh I think he did it already and came out with real sales data :lol

cvxfreak

Never fear everyone! Media Create severely undertracked Wii...

Dengeki hardware:

Wii: 110,000 / 466,000
PS3: 46,000 / 222,000
360 Blue Dragon bundle: 16,000
DS: 284,000

GhaleonEB

cvxfreak said:

Dengeki hardware:

And over-tracked everything else? :lol

Bizzare.

Brak

It's a worldwide launch people, of course Nintendo's going to have trouble getting a massive number of units out there. They've probably shipped 2 million units since November 19. Also NA and EU should both have higher priority than Japan since those markets are more Christmas-shopping centric (over 50% of total yearly sales in Nov. and Dec.).

enishi

jimbo said:
Was that ever really confirmed though?

It was suggested by Sinobi few weeks ago that 20GB pack was not doing good and some were sat in the gameshops. But I think they should be sold out again now due to holiday demand.

And Sinobi also suggested Wii sold out last week (i.e. this week's number). And from some imported stores here (Hong Kong), Wii is in severe shortage. They can't import any Wii and rise the import price here :(

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Here's an interesting question. Let's see if we can get some math wizards on the case. This question is not really related to Wii.

If PS3 were to continue to sell at the rate of 50,000 consoles per week and Xbox 360 returns to normal numbers (I'm expecting them to do that, but I'm also technically expecting PS3 to rise when stock actually becomes available), and PS3 sells at about the same rate as the 360 in America (250,000 per five week month), excluding European sales, when would the PS3 catch the 360?

Also, what time will the PS3 leave the station if it is heading 80 mph north at the same time Keith Hernandez spits on Kramer at shea stadium?

Let's suppose 360 would have 7 million sold excluding Europe and then PS3 has 1 million sold (at the end of this year, sans Europe).
So to simplify the question, you're basically asking how long it would take to nullify the non-European 360 lead using the weekly Japanese leads. If X360 were to do, say, 2000 per week, PS3 would be gaining 48000 per week. The 6 million lead you propose outside of Europe seems quite high, but using that, 6 million divided by 48000 = about 125 weeks.

sangreal

JoshuaJSlone said:
I had predicted that due to limited DS supply and two hot new consoles, from the week after Wii launch until the end of the year there would be no proper overall Pac-Man charts. I was wrong.
pacchartweekly.php

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/pacchartweekly.php?date1=2006-12-04

If Wii stops selling, and PS3 continues at this rate, it catches up to Wii on January 6 of next year. Those DS numbers are big, but they're about the same as this week last year (299,328); we've reached a year since the real DS explosion.

Sure, and Wii just increased its by 24% and PS3 by 27%. :p (Of course I am kidding and know why it's a bigger deal for X360.)

pacmanchart.png

justchris

The most interesting thing about the HW numbers is that for the first time since launch, PS3 sales have actually gone up. Since we can still assume Sony is selling every unit they ship, that means they may actually be telling the truth about having worked out their production issues. There's a chance they may actually reach their 2 million by year end goal, now. And if they do, that means they probably won't delay the PAL launch, so good news for Europe.

I expected more from the Wii & 360 though. Blue Dragon's been on the Famitsu most wanted for the last 6 months or so. It's been in the top ten for at least 3 of those. Of course, I expected BD to sell more than 80k total, so that puts this in perspective. It's a good showing either way, and hopefully will be a boost to the 360 overall.

As for Wii, I expected closer to 100k sales. That would still put Japan at getting less than half as many units per week as NA is (supposedly) getting. Either Ninty's having production/shipping issues, or there may be some truth to the rumors of them diverting units to PAL regions. Honestly, it'd be a smart move on their part, EU is going to be a harder market for them to breach, and if they can overwhelm them before Sony even has a chance to launch, they could take that whole region, and then only have to worry about matching the competition in Japan & NA.

All the other numbers are pretty much what I expected.

duckroll

I guess when the PS3 overtook the 360 in Japan, it was for good. The weird thing is that PS3 software is still playing the invisible man game. What's happening, are people just buying the PS3 to do the same thing (whatever that is) they do with their PSP? :lol

So much for Scamco's ambitions of selling a million of Gundam and a million of Ridge Racer 7....

Xeke

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Dengeki hardware:

Yea how do two companies get 25,000 units away from eachother.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Xeke said:
Yea how do two companies get 25,000 units away from eachother.

Yeah, really, there's almost a whole week of PSP numbers between them.

37. Fina Fantasy III - 11,000 / 888,000

FFIII Is up to 5 digits again, it won't reach a million by the end of the year, but it's sure to make it. It should be close 950k by january (I expect 15k to 25k+ the next couple weeks).

Xeke

Banned
soul creator said:
so technically, MS could say that they outsold the DS?

That would be the most hilarious (and shadiest!) spin ever :lol

They could also say they sold more than their competitors handhelds and home consoles in Japan.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
duckroll said:
I guess when the PS3 overtook the 360 in Japan, it was for good. The weird thing is that PS3 software is still playing the invisible man game. What's happening, are people just buying the PS3 to do the same thing (whatever that is) they do with their PSP? :lol

So much for Scamco's ambitions of selling a million of Gundam and a million of Ridge Racer 7....

Scamco :lol :lol

RR7 deserves to sell a lot, but Gundam deserves to sell negative copies.

JoshuaJSlone said:
So to simplify the question, you're basically asking how long it would take to nullify the non-European 360 lead using the weekly Japanese leads. If X360 were to do, say, 2000 per week, PS3 would be gaining 48000 per week. The 6 million lead you propose outside of Europe seems quite high, but using that, 6 million divided by 48000 = about 125 weeks.

Thanks! Sony will need to sell more than 50k per week it looks like! :lol

And release in Europe!

Mojovonio

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Scamco :lol :lol

And release in Europe!

Didn't want to start a new thread.

S3 delayed in Europe until September 07?
Wednesday 13-Dec-2006 11:07 AM Source tells CVG that PS3 won't launch in Europe until September 2007 while Sony sticks to March release

Sony's head of Worldwide Studios Phil Harrison recently told Official PlayStation Magazine that he wouldn't like to make any definitive statements about the March rollout for PS3.

Sony quickly followed that up with a statement re-confirming PS3 is on track for March 2007 across Europe. But speculation of a further delay just won't go away.

High placed sources within the industry have already been tipping April as a more realistic launch window the for console. But a source has told CVG that a PS3 delay as far back as September 2007 is now far more likely, pointing the finger of delay at - yes you guessed it - "component shortages". And let's face it, you don't launch a console in summer.

When contacted this morning a Sony UK spokesperson told CVG that "We're 100 percent on track for a March release".

Sony's Euro boss added, "We're still on schedule to launch PS3 in March, throughout the PAL territories... and all speculation otherwise, is without foundation".

cvxfreak said:

Dengeki hardware:

strange...

goes to show we can't trust these numbers at all they only give us an idea of who is selling what - and maybe a clue to who is winning

Media Create is the Official GAF sales chart though for years now

Arsenal

duckroll said:

They are probably reselling them to Europeans who are paying $1k each for them.

justchris

Bearillusion said:
How many weeks do you think there are left in December?

3, and they're already over 1/4 of the way there. If production picks up (which I understand is debatable) they could pick up the slack. 2 million is for NA & Japan, not just Japan. I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying it's now actually possible.

GhaleonEB

justchris said:
3, and they're already over 1/4 of the way there. If production picks up (which I understand is debatable) they could pick up the slack. 2 million is for NA & Japan, not just Japan. I'm not saying it's likely, I'm just saying it's now actually possible.
So they used up half the time between launch and the end of the year, and got 1/4 of the way to the goal. They're going to have to ramp up fast to do it. This week was a good sign, but we're talking getting into six digit territory the next couple of weeks in Japan to pull it off.

duckroll

justchris said:

How is it even possible? Even if they sell 200k in Japan per week these 3 weeks, and they sell 800k in the US in December, they STILL wouldn't have hit 2 million. That's how ridiculous your claim is. :p

Here's the current breakdown:

JP (with 3 weeks left) - 220k
US (with 1 month left) - 190k

Target Worldwide by end of 2006 - 2 million

justchris

GhaleonEB said:
So they used up half the time between launch and the end of the year, and got 1/4 of the way to the goal. They're going to have to ramp up fast to do it. This week was a good sign, but we're talking getting into six digit territory the next couple of weeks in Japan to pull it off.

Come on, let Sony have their dream!

Wait a second, you guys don't keep your own YTDs/LTDS in excel?

Guess TEVS is more useful than I thought :D

EDIT: Woops, I referenced the wrong cell in my excel. Numbers are updated hehe :D

Total DSL 2006 (YTD 2006) 6,437,220
Total DSL in Japan (LTD) 6,437,220

Total NDPhat 2006 939,379
Total NDPhat in Japan 6,586,331

Total DS in 2006 7,376,599
Total DS in Japan 13,023,551

Total PS3 2006 (YTD 2006) 238,007
Total PS3 in Japan (LTD) 238,007

Total Wii 2006 (YTD 2006) 435,797
Total Wii in Japan (LTD) 435,797

Total PSP 2006 (YTD 2006) 1,476,008
Total PSP in Japan (LTD) 4,159,291

Total Gamecube 2006 72,666
Total Gamecube Japan 4,126,295

Total Xbox 2006 1,694
Total Xbox Japan 474,685

Total PS2 2006 1,333,798
Total PS2 in Japan 23,039,817

Total X360 2006 145,481
Total X360 in Japan 215,748

Total GBASP 2006 219,410
Total GBASP Japan 15,699,410

penguini

Banned
It looks like the Japanese realize that Zelda is basically a franchise going through the motions. Still, it's a fun game, but it feels so outdated now. I can't help but think that is resulting in the dissapointing sales.

GhaleonEB

penguini said:
It looks like the Japanese realize that Zelda is basically a franchise going through the motions. Still, it's a fun game, but it feels so outdated now. I can't help but think that is resulting in the dissapointing sales.
That, or the fact that Zelda has never been as popular in Japan as it has in the US.

Elios83 said:
DSL 309,630
Wii 85,439
PS3 50,171
Xbox360 35,343
PS2 30,460
PSP 28,930
GBASP 1,896
GBM 1,555
GC 569
DS 167
GBA 17
Xbox 6

This will be fun :lol

The Wii's numbers are low. This explains Zelda's low score. The DS = MONSTER !!!

penguini said:

Zelda is outdated.

Well, Nintendo said that TP will be the last traditional Zelda. Whether they were talking about gameplay mechanics or storyline, who knows, but the Zelda as we know it will probably be found in a handheld.

Mashing

GhaleonEB said:
That, or the fact that Zelda has never been as popular in Japan as it has in the US.

That seems to be true for a lot of their franchises (save for Pokeman and the brain age series). Everything else appears to sell better in the US.

penguini said:

But it happened IMMEDIATELY after Ocarina of Time. MM sold ~700,000 copies. It's not DISAPPOINTING, but you'd think after the excellence that was OOT they'd be more willing to pick up MM.

I'm worried for TP... but if it does over 50,000 next week I'll be happy.

castle007

Banned
Elios83 said:
DSL 309,630
Wii 85,439
PS3 50,171
Xbox360 35,343
PS2 30,460
PSP 28,930
GBASP 1,896
GBM 1,555
GC 569
DS 167
GBA 17
Xbox 6

This will be fun :lol

WOW at DS numbers.

and lower than expected Wii numbers

Krowley

I think zelda in japan will sort of hang around and crawl to high sales over the systems lifetime. It is a launch game and it will benefit from that. also eventually the wii's base will diversify. more and more hardcore gamers will be buying it..

One thing this shows is that in japan, the people buying wii are part of the same market that got the DS going. They've apparently been able to successfuly associate the two systems in the minds of consumers over there. This is not the gamecube market, it's the DS market that's currently buying the wii (with a few cube people thrown in and plenty of people who owned both).

The vanilla japanese gamecube market would have bought zelda with a bit more zeal (although still not as much as western gamers) and I would say that the people who bought zelda are the same kinds of people that owned a cube and bought wind waker. Mainly old school nintendo fans and some hardcore gamers. I think that's really what's to blame for zelda being outsold by games like wii sports. Over time that will ballance out a little if the system is succesful... Although hardcore gamers are aparently a dying breed in japan... regardless, i think zelda sales in europe and the US are going to be gigantic enough to show nintendo that it's totally worth it to produce big epic games like that.

If you discount wii sports, which is a pack in game... i think It will be the best selling game on the system for a VERY long time World wide, and it might not ever get surpassed... Launch games sometimes end up that way.

Top Bottom