• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 07/28 - 08/03

Lightning

Banned
13 pages? I can't wait to read this weeks when the 360 beats the PS3 in Japan. :lol

There is going to be no "take off" for the PS3. It will end around 5mil I expect when all is said and done.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lightning said:
There is going to be no "take off" for the PS3. It will end around 5mil I expect when all is said and done.

I think it will do better than that- it's at 2.25M without having been on the market for 2 full years.

Thunder Monkey said:
Just think about it though. If they can pull it off sometime the Japanese market could be larger then it ever has.

I'm... not sure what this has to do with my point, actually. :lol

The handheld market is seeing a large boom, and I do think the console market could see something similar if the two slightly relevant parties play their cards right.

I disagree. In my opinion, the "home gaming market" was previously centered in consoles, with handhelds forming a ghetto primarily for children and/or software titles that would not stand on their own as "real" titles in the marketplace. What this generation of titles has done is broken down that wall and created a unified market, in which the obvious benefits of handhelds naturally overcome the home consoles.

You know, I never thought about it before, but I just realized the degree to which the handheld revolution is really impacting the console war in Japan. The reason no one's developing third-party software for Wii is that it isn't the market leader -- it's the middle of the pack system, losing to both handhelds but defeating the HD systems. The reason it is successful is that it justifies its existence as a home console -- the Wiimote allows for gaming possibilities that handhelds cannot provide.

NeonZ

What this generation of titles has done is broken down that wall and created a unified market, in which the obvious benefits of handhelds naturally overcome the home consoles.

Handhelds are objectively worse for local multiplayer games which don't use separate files for each player, requiring multiple system and copies of the game... but I suppose local multiplayer has never really been a very strong selling point... : /

jimbo

Banned
Lightning said:
13 pages? I can't wait to read this weeks when the 360 beats the PS3 in Japan. :lol

This week's will be interesting, no doubt, but it's not the first time. Now if the 360's current trend of going up(which has been happening prior to TOV) and PS3's trend of going down continues, it may have a chance of doing it 2 weeks in a row. THAT would cause for a very interesting MC sales thread. Does anyone know if there were any more TOV bundles shipped this week, or was the 10,000 all that they made?

schuelma

charlequin said:
The reason no one's developing third-party software for Wii is that it isn't the market leader -- it's the middle of the pack system, losing to both handhelds but defeating the HD systems .

I'm very curious to see whether 3rd parties are going to really shift to the PSP instead of Wii. PSP is selling more hardware and is having some very specific software success, but Wii is still selling more software overall.

There still doesn't appear to be a very healthy 3rd party core software market on Wii, and if more 3rd party core games don't appear soon I'm starting to wonder whether there ever will be such a market.

Tron 2.0

jimbo said:
This week's will be interesting, no doubt, but it's not the first time. Now if the 360's current trend of going up(which has been happening prior to TOV) and PS3's trend of going down continues, it may have a chance of doing it 2 weeks in a row. THAT would cause for a very interesting MC sales thread. Does anyone know if there were any more TOV bundles shipped this week, or was the 10,000 all that they made?
I naively thought the 360 wouldn't pass the PS3 this week and I admit to be totally and completely wrong.

However, I really don't think it's going to do it two weeks in a row.

Also, I think 10,000 as all they made of the ToV bundle.

NeonZ said:
Handhelds are objectively worse for local multiplayer games which don't use separate files for each player, requiring multiple system and copies of the game... but I suppose local multiplayer has never really been a very strong selling point... : /

On the contrary, handhelds are dramatically superior for many styles of local multiplayer because everyone can have their own screen while still participating with players in the same room. It's this specific point of superiority that has been the #1 driver of PSP sales recently, with MHP becoming a new 2+ million franchise and other titles that provide action-oriented local co-op multiplayer (like P*P) seeing significant sales upticks compared to their console versions.

In the US, of course, online multiplayer is huge and in-person multiplayer is largely deemed irrelevant, which gives both HD systems a huge benefit there that is entirely irrelevant in Japan.

schuelma said:
I'm very curious to see whether 3rd parties are going to really shift to the PSP instead of Wii.

If I were a third party and I had an action-adventure/action-RPG title I would unquestionably put it on the PSP if there were any sensible way to add co-op to it, and I'd still think about it pretty hard if there wasn't. I think Square-Enix has been incredibly canny with their handheld announcements to date and all three of their big PSP projects are great ideas. If they do well enough, I think the system might see a "bounce" of more projects being announced. (If KH BbS does >1m, I think this is almost certain -- and I think it will.)

There still doesn't appear to be a very healthy 3rd party core software market on Wii, and if more 3rd party core games don't appear soon I'm starting to wonder whether there ever will be such a market.

I was saying this like a year ago, and everyone called me a doomsayer. :D

For a whole host of reasons I don't really feel like going into in depth yet again, there really isn't an inherent pressure to move to Wii; despite what certain people seem to want, no third party is actually going to crash and burn solely for ignoring the system.

The problem from the beginning has been the shark-tester problem: no one wants to be the first one in the pool, just in case there are sharks. What's tragic about this is that I believe there's a huge potential for many genres to blossom on Wii, but we'll never find out because no one's willing to dive in. After a certain period it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My big push for a long time was that I thought Wii should be the go-to system for srpgs and smaller-scale rpgs -- I thought if someone like Atlus made a push for it, a whole market could have been built up on the system. Now I think that boat is close to sailing, although we'll see how Arc Rise Fantasia -- the first legit-looking, new IP RPG for the system -- does....

schuelma

charlequin said:
The problem from the beginning has been the shark-tester problem: no one wants to be the first one in the pool, just in case there are sharks. What's tragic about this is that I believe there's a huge potential for many genres to blossom on Wii, but we'll never find out because no one's willing to dive in. After a certain period it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

My big push for a long time was that I thought Wii should be the go-to system for srpgs and smaller-scale rpgs -- I thought if someone like Atlus made a push for it, a whole market could have been built up on the system. Now I think that boat is close to sailing, although we'll see how Arc Rise Fantasia -- the first legit-looking, new IP RPG for the system -- does....

Agreed. No 3rd parties have jumped in, and the longer they go without jumping in, the less likely anything will change.

I do still think Wii has the *potential* to still be a good RPG system. ToS did well, and there is some intriguing stuff coming relatively soon- Arc Rise, Fragile, Rune Factory Frontier, Little King Story, though obviously not a traditional RPG.

That still doesn't seem enough- for RPG's to really take off, companies like Atlus need to feel compelled to move on from PS2. Doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon.

I'd also add that unless there is a whole lot we don't know about, Square doesn't look like they will be the ones to spur the market like they did with DS. SE currently has ZERO projects in development for Wii (I'm not counting Crystal Bearers), which is unfortunate because I feel like if they went full bore many others would follow suit.

Oh one more point- I think the one exception to this is Capcom. RE4, RE:UC, and RE:0 did very well in Japan and bringing Dead Rising tells me they are satisfied with the market for those type of games. Wii- the #1 platform for zombies?!?

schuelma said:
I'm very curious to see whether 3rd parties are going to really shift to the PSP instead of Wii. PSP is selling more hardware and is having some very specific software success, but Wii is still selling more software overall.

Yeah. Here are some first and third party comparisons between PSP and Wii. To get a recent look I grabbed 2008 releases, so this ignores continuing sales from older games. Blue=Wii, black=PSP.
20080811pspwii2008first.png

20080811pspwii2008third.png

charlequin said:
I was saying this like a year ago, and everyone called me a doomsayer. :D
Guilty.

gantz85

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Yeah. Here are some first and third party comparisons between PSP and Wii. To get a recent look I grabbed 2008 releases, so this ignores continuing sales from older games. Blue=Wii, black=PSP.

Guilty.

The scaling is wrong though; because the Wii's graph goes up to 16 million. Why not try put them on the same scale? It might look better for the third parties for Wii like that. Also, can you make known the first few third party titles for each format? Will clear up alot of mystique.

gantz85 said:
The scaling is wrong though; because the Wii's graph goes up to 16 million. Why not try put them on the same scale? It might look better for the third parties for Wii like that. Also, can you make known the first few third party titles for each format? Will clear up alot of mystique.
That's not 16 million, but 1.6 million. I didn't pay attention to the lack of commas, so the mass of 0s is throwing you off. I tried to make them at heights that would be approximately the same scale, but lack of being able to do that easily is a big reason why I started doing automatically generated charts.

The first few third party for each in that list are

Monster Hunter Portable 2 G: 2,352,206
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3: 225,482
Gundam Battle Universe: 193,378
World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008: 174,111
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui: 171,787

Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku!: 204,052
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World: 194,219
Family Ski: 115,368
Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008: 104,654
Family Trainer: 92,763

gantz85

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
That's not 16 million, but 1.6 million. I didn't pay attention to the lack of commas, so the mass of 0s is throwing you off. I tried to make them at heights that would be approximately the same scale, but lack of being able to do that easily is a big reason why I started doing automatically generated charts.

The first few third party for each in that list are

Monster Hunter Portable 2 G: 2,352,206
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Portable 3: 225,482
Gundam Battle Universe: 193,378
World Soccer Winning Eleven Ubiquitous Edition 2008: 174,111
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou - Axis no Kyoui: 171,787

Deca Sporta: Wii de Sports 10 Shumoku!: 204,052
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World: 194,219
Family Ski: 115,368
Winning Eleven Playmaker 2008: 104,654
Family Trainer: 92,763

Ahhhh. I thought those were LTD releases; those are only 2008 releases. If those were LTD I figured Wii Sports was something at 16 million now or something. This paints a vastly different picture of the scene now.

jimbo

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
I naively thought the 360 wouldn't pass the PS3 this week and I admit to be totally and completely wrong.

However, I really don't think it's going to do it two weeks in a row.

Also, I think 10,000 as all they made of the ToV bundle.

I wish I knew how to do graphs:

6/16-6/22: PS3 - 20,336 Xbox360 - 2,555 GAP: 17,781
6/23-6/29: PS3 - 17,973 Xbox360 - 5,104 GAP: 12,869
6/30-7/6: PS3 - 14,359 Xbox360 - 4,776 GAP: 9,583
7/7-7/13: PS3 - 12,458 Xbox360 - 3,807 GAP: 8,651
7/14-7/20: PS3 - 11,253 Xbox360 - 4,208 GAP: 7,045
7/21-7/27: PS3 - 10,692 Xbox360 - 4,941 GAP: 5,751
7/28-8/03: PS3 - 9,508 Xbox360 - 5,359 GAP: 4,149

The trends are going in opposite directions for the 360 and PS3.

Just saying, it is quite possible.

Tron 2.0

Possible, perhaps. But highly unlikely.

We'll see if there is a flood of used consoles on the market similar to the deluge that followed Blue Dragon and pretty much every other major 360 release. If the game is exceedingly front loaded, there probably isn't going to be much demand for the console after the initial week.

Of course, I've been wrong before and I'll probably be wrong again.

jimbo

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
Possible, perhaps. But highly unlikely.

We'll see if there is a flood of used consoles on the market similar to the deluge that followed Blue Dragon and pretty much every other major 360 release. If the game is exceedingly front loaded, there probably isn't going to be much demand for the console after the initial week.

Of course, I've been wrong before and I'll probably be wrong again.

I am not talking about TOV alone carrying it, just the trend that has been going on.

charlequin said:
I'm... not sure what this has to do with my point, actually. :lol
Very little I'm sure. Sometimes I have a habit of responding to a person, but really just be responding to the last thing I read.
charlequin said:
I disagree. In my opinion, the "home gaming market" was previously centered in consoles, with handhelds forming a ghetto primarily for children and/or software titles that would not stand on their own as "real" titles in the marketplace. What this generation of titles has done is broken down that wall and created a unified market, in which the obvious benefits of handhelds naturally overcome the home consoles.

You know, I never thought about it before, but I just realized the degree to which the handheld revolution is really impacting the console war in Japan. The reason no one's developing third-party software for Wii is that it isn't the market leader -- it's the middle of the pack system, losing to both handhelds but defeating the HD systems. The reason it is successful is that it justifies its existence as a home console -- the Wiimote allows for gaming possibilities that handhelds cannot provide.
Yep, I knew this stuff long ago.

It's the HD consoles that are stunting Wii library growth in America, but it's handhelds that are doing the same in Japan. Someday I expect something to change on both ends. Maybe when they've hit the 60 million unit mark, sometime next year.

Tron 2.0

jimbo said:
I am not talking about TOV alone carrying it, just the trend that has been going on.
I don't think things will ever get so dire for the PS3 in Japan that we'll see the 360 outselling it on a consistent basis.

Miburou

gantz85 said:
Ahhhh. I thought those were LTD releases; those are only 2008 releases. If those were LTD I figured Wii Sports was something at 16 million now or something. This paints a vastly different picture of the scene now.

Er, the Wii itself is only at 6.5M or so in Japan.

Link

The Autumn Wind
schuelma said:

Just look at Square. They happily made games for the DS and the HD consoles, while giving the PSP serviceable ports. Now the PSP is doing well and it's getting original software as well.

The Wii has pretty much just been ignored, and with the PSP becoming a viable platform again, I'm guessing Square is more than happy to just keep ignoring it.

jimbo

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
I don't think things will ever get so dire for the PS3 in Japan that we'll see the 360 outselling it on a consistent basis.

Holy crap, making a chart is a project. Won't be doing this again. But here's what the next couple of weeks would look like if the current trend continues.

chart2zm1.jpg

donny2112

jimbo said:
But here's what the next couple of weeks would look like if the current trend continues.

There's a very unlikely, outside chance that 360 might actually outsell the PS3 for the month of August. That would be crazy.

jimbo

Banned
donny2112 said:
There's a very unlikely, outside chance that 360 might actually outsell the PS3 for the month of August. That would be crazy.

I almost wish ToV would have come out at the end of the month, just so we could see where this, non-software spiked trend would have platoued. It would have been cool to see if the streams would have crossed without ToV.

Does anyone know the lowest weekly sales the PS3 has "achieved" this year, or even since launch?

charlequin said:
You know, I never thought about it before, but I just realized the degree to which the handheld revolution is really impacting the console war in Japan. The reason no one's developing third-party software for Wii is that it isn't the market leader -- it's the middle of the pack system, losing to both handhelds but defeating the HD systems.
Ha. PantherLotus frequently talks about Wii getting big Japanese support due to the situation there while the HD systems still get the western support, but maybe it's the case that those western software sales will have to do the trick since DS sucks up the eastern support.
jimbo said:
Holy crap, making a chart is a project. Won't be doing this again.
I don't know what you're doing, but I think you're going about something in too difficult a way.
jimbo said:
Does anyone know the lowest weekly sales the PS3 has "achieved" this year, or even since launch?
Here's the Media Create version. Looks like its lowest 4 weeks are from April/May 2008.

jimbo

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't know what you're doing, but I think you're going about something in too difficult a way.

Here's the Media Create version. Looks like its lowest 4 weeks are from April/May 2008.

Well I never made a graph before so I downloaded a program, had to learn it, make the chart, then find a host...I know some guys on here can get one up in minutes.

And it looks like 7,438, was the lowest point for the PS3 for a week. Could have very well happened. Thanks for the info.

From what I can gather, what Sony really need to give the PS3 a kick in the ass is a hardware redesign, as well as an exclusive title from Capcom that takes advantage of the PS3's unique capabilities.

Paracelsus

...a new IP that would move consoles on a non-first console in Japan?

Sounds like utopia.

The best that could do at this point is moneyhat Onimusha V to make it exclusive and market it to death.

And I'm not fully sure it'd work anyway.

Kafel

Banned
Mr. Pointy said:
From what I can gather, what Sony really need to give the PS3 a kick in the ass is a hardware redesign, as well as an exclusive title from Capcom that takes advantage of the PS3's unique capabilities.

Wait for Monster Hunter 3.

Paracelsus said:
...a new IP that would move consoles on a non-first console in Japan?

Sounds like utopia.
Yeah, Monster Hunter Portopia.

Seriously, the first million seller on the PS1 in Japan was Resident Evil. The first million seller on the PS2 was Onimusha. The first million seller on the PSP was Monster Hunter Portable 2.

Wow. Assuming PSP sold out most of the 500k shipment over the two weeks, that could put it at something like 150k for its second week. If that's correct, RT Gold has had a stellar second week and FEDS has had a great first week.

I'm also really keen to see where Fatal Frame has placed. Falling out of the top 10 means it's unlikely to have done more than 10k, but it would be nice if it was making its way toward 50k despite poor word of mouth.

liuelson

JoshuaJSlone said:
Ha. PantherLotus frequently talks about Wii getting big Japanese support due to the situation there while the HD systems still get the western support, but maybe it's the case that those western software sales will have to do the trick since DS sucks up the eastern support.

If true, this would be a great example of how individually rational decisions lead to a seemingly irrational outcome in the aggregate. Sony and MS are willing to spend billions developing and selling consoles below cost because of an industry model of a single, dominant, world-wide console "winning the war." If the individual 3rd parties are going to split their development dollars among multiple platforms, in multiple regions, then the financial incentive to spend those billions of dollars isn't as strong. Ironically, if 3rd parties "jumped on the Wii bandwagon" and there was a world-wide winner, there would be a stronger incentive for both Sony and MS to try and dominate the market again, instead of trying to be profitable in a fragmented market for the next go 'round.

Edit: the reason why the aggregate outcome is "seemingly irrational" is that such a fragmentation of 3rd parties would undermine their own industry model - massively subsidized hardware in exchange for highly profitable software.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jimbo said:
Well I never made a graph before so I downloaded a program, had to learn it, make the chart, then find a host...I know some guys on here can get one up in minutes.

And it looks like 7,438, was the lowest point for the PS3 for a week. Could have very well happened. Thanks for the info.

I would not be shocked at all to see ''the streams cross'' somewhere under 10k. The PS3 will be trending around 8.5k for the next month or so.

Would like to see numbers, but I think it's safe to say that four games sold over 100k this week because with Vesperia first day sales at 70k (+10k bundles), I can't see it not opening with at least 100k units. Great week for RPGs.

I wonder what Summon Night 2 numbers are, and I think it's safe to say DQV has finally sold over a million copies, w00t.

manzo

Magicpaint said:
Would like to see numbers, but I think it's safe to say that four games sold over 100k this week because with Vesperia first day sales at 70k (+10k bundles), I can't see it not opening with at least 100k units. Great week for RPGs.

I wonder what Summon Night 2 numbers are, and I think it's safe to say DQV has finally sold over a million copies, w00t.

Considering that number 4 on the chart is Phantasy Star Portable, which sold about 500k, there's quite a headroom for Vesperia to catch up. :p

Top Bottom