• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 07/28 - 08/03

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Jonnyram said:
2) the new hardware could not be offered at a price that is appealing to existing owners and prospective new buyers.
I'm not sure I get this point. The new hw is probably their only way to hit certain price point (eg. PSOne was the reason PS1 could hit sub 99$ pricepoint, if they never made it, PS1 would never get there, aside for clearances). Similar for PS2(integrating network adapter, smaller frame and getting rid of PS1 CPU license fees were pretty significant cost changes at those price levels), although in its case, sales remained too damn high for price to need dropping as much - not to mention they had another scale-down revision since.
In case of PS3 we're probably talking a higher pricepoint target, but the concept is the same.

The main issue being that every unit has an HDD in the box -- that's going to cause headaches in the end.
They can cross that bridge when/IF they get to it. By the time PS3 is at the price point HDD will significantly affect the cost, Flash will be a viable cost alternative IMO.

Nice sales all around.

i wonder if xbox 360 sales will pick up now that ff13 is slated for release for it. i'm sure that gives some japanese gamers another reason to buy the system knowing they're getting some big rpgs on it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
edwardslane said:
i wonder if xbox 360 sales will pick up now that ff13 is slated for release for it. i'm sure that gives some japanese gamers another reason to buy the system knowing they're getting some big rpgs on it.

It's not currently coming out in Japan

CorwinB

cvxfreak said:
Sony is neither Nintendo nor Sega; their approach has always been different (closer to Sega's with the Genesis). Sony has always released redesigns while the systems were still active, while Nintendo's redesigns were released toward the end of their lifecycles.

But then again, Sony never had a non-successful home console. I'm not saying we won't see a PS3 Slim, just that the historical data we have can't help us much, since both previous Sony consoles were #1 of their respective generations by huge margins.

donny2112

CorwinB said:
But then again, Sony never had a non-successful home console.

And, thus, they don't realize that they're "not supposed" to release a revision. I do agree with Jonnyram that it's very unlikely to happen in the next year, though.

The GameCube sort of hit the wall at the end of 2003/early 2004. That's ~2.5 years from launch. The PS3 is still less than 2 years from launch, and has only recently pulled ahead of the GameCube's pace in Japan thanks to the MGS4 bump. FFXIII's delay certainly gives it a good shot of having a surge of sales > 2.5 years from launch, but based on current prospects and known big games, FFXIII and/or GT5 should be PS3's Battle of the Bulge.

cvxfreak

CorwinB said:
But then again, Sony never had a non-successful home console. I'm not saying we won't see a PS3 Slim, just that the historical data we have can't help us much, since both previous Sony consoles were #1 of their respective generations by huge margins.

The fact the N64, GameCube, Saturn and Dreamcast weren't remodeled and re-released are phenomenons that have nothing to do with Sony, though. This generation hasn't gone far enough for us to say for sure whether we can group Sony into Sega and Nintendo's mentality of not finding their later systems unworthy of redesign. One day we'll know for sure.

Therefore, I find it more appropriate to explore Sony as a hardware and electronics company and it's history when it comes to evaluating the possibilities of what it could do next. Frankly, it's in Sony's hands what they'd like to do, and Nintendo and Sega's prior decisions have nothing to do with that.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
The fact the N64, GameCube, Saturn and Dreamcast weren't remodeled and re-released are phenomenons that have nothing to do with Sony, though. This generation hasn't gone far enough for us to say for sure whether we can group Sony into Sega and Nintendo's mentality of not finding their later systems unworthy of redesign. One day we'll know for sure.

Therefore, I find it more appropriate to explore Sony as a hardware and electronics company and it's history when it comes to evaluating the possibilities of what it could do next. Frankly, it's in Sony's hands what they'd like to do, and Nintendo and Sega's prior decisions have nothing to do with that.
The only statistics we have that are solid are historical. What competitors in similar positions before have done, and corresponding sales data. As has been stated many times before, the PS3 is currently tracking lower than the GC, lower than the N64 and quite possibly lower than the Saturn. I don't believe it is a question of whether a system is "worthy" of redesign -- more a question of whether a redesign is financially feasible. I explained my reasons before, but I don't think the PS3 currently has a market that would support a dramatic redesign, and I don't believe it ever will. FFXIII is essentially the last hope for PS3 sales to explode, and we can be almost certain that a redesign will not come before that, based on the fact that Sony is still not in the black on their current design. The fate of the PSthree, essentially lies in the hands of FFXIII, rather than the other way around.

Opiate

Does a redesign tend to explode costs? I wasn't under the impression that it did.

More importantly, the PS3 is definitely not tracking behind the Gamecube worldwide, and a redesign would have worldwide implications. The PS3 could quite possibly achieve the Gamecube's LTD by end of year (it's unlikely, but it will at least be within 1-2 million), making its worldwide future much different than the Gamecube's.

D.Lo

Jonnyram said:
The only statistics we have that are solid are historical. What competitors in similar positions before have done, and corresponding sales data. As has been stated many times before, the PS3 is currently tracking lower than the GC, lower than the N64 and quite possibly lower than the Saturn. I don't believe it is a question of whether a system is "worthy" of redesign -- more a question of whether a redesign is financially feasible.
Good point, something has to be a guarranteed seller for whole new factories and lines to be set up to create a more cost effective unit, or even to bother investing in the R&D for it. The one-chip PS2 made Sony a fortune in the end, but no doubt cost a bit of investment to develop and set up new lines for. They probably had to be certain of selling 10-15 million or so for the ROI to move into net profit on the re-design.

So yes, while it may be possible to make a smaller, cheaper PS3 board and case, can they be guarranteed enough of a sales boost to make it worth doing at all?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Opiate said:
Does a redesign tend to explode costs? I wasn't under the impression that it did.

only the research it takes to find out how to redesign it. the way Sony does it is to minimize costs as much as possible, that's why we typically see a redesign midway through a particular console's generation so that they can benefit from newer technology.

noonche

D.Lo said:
Good point, something has to be a guarranteed seller for whole new factories and lines to be set up to create a more cost effective unit, or even to bother investing in the R&D for it. The one-chip PS2 made Sony a fortune in the end, but no doubt cost a bit of investment to develop and set up new lines for. They probably had to be certain of selling 10-15 million or so for the ROI to move into net profit on the re-design.

So yes, while it may be possible to make a smaller, cheaper PS3 board and case, can they be guarranteed enough of a sales boost to make it worth doing at all?

Sony (like Microsoft) is already streamlining the internal components of the system. It isn't a question of spending a ton of money and then getting a slim ps3 after several years, they're already spending the money to gradually reduce the cost of components. I expect that as soon as they can fit it into a significantly smaller chassis, they will begin drawing up plans to do so.

gantz85

Banned
alske said:
Sony (like Microsoft) is already streamlining the internal components of the system. It isn't a question of spending a ton of money and then getting a slim ps3 after several years, they're already spending the money to gradually reduce the cost of components. I expect that as soon as they can fit it into a significantly smaller chassis, they will begin drawing up plans to do so.

Yes.

Smaller chassis, lighter weight = Cheaper shipping costs, less overhead cost for storage, cheaper production costs etc.

Lots of plusses for everyone.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
The only statistics we have that are solid are historical. What competitors in similar positions before have done, and corresponding sales data. As has been stated many times before, the PS3 is currently tracking lower than the GC, lower than the N64 and quite possibly lower than the Saturn. I don't believe it is a question of whether a system is "worthy" of redesign -- more a question of whether a redesign is financially feasible. I explained my reasons before, but I don't think the PS3 currently has a market that would support a dramatic redesign, and I don't believe it ever will. FFXIII is essentially the last hope for PS3 sales to explode, and we can be almost certain that a redesign will not come before that, based on the fact that Sony is still not in the black on their current design. The fate of the PSthree, essentially lies in the hands of FFXIII, rather than the other way around.

Sony's history as an electronics manufacturer doesn't count now? The comparisons with Nintendo and Sega not only are a little too early, but they ignore the nature of the hardware in question. The GC was designed to be inexpensive and small from the onset, and even with the Wii taken into account as the defacto GC redesign, the size reduction was relatively minimal (this reflects the different nature between Sony and Nintendo's HW - the FC and SFC redesigns were minimal compared to the PSone/2). The PS3 is on a vastly different plane here. Even if the original Xbox were super successful, it would never have been redesigned. That must be taken into account.

Also, your argument relies on the redesign being dependent on the console war in Japan, but that's only part of the picture. In the West, the PS3 managed to keep up with or surpass the 360 this year in NA, while it's been leading in Europe for a long time (sales there have been solid, AFAIK). So there are so many factors at play here than just Japan. From what I can tell, western PS3 sales have been solid for the last few months, all things considered. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

Seeing as how the DS Lite was responsible for finally pushing the DS above the PSP in monthly hardware sales in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if a redesigned PS3 truly brought the 360 and PS3 further apart.

Jonnyram

cvxfreak said:
Sony's history as an electronics manufacturer doesn't count now? The comparisons with Nintendo and Sega not only are a little too early, but they ignore the nature of the hardware in question. The GC was designed to be inexpensive and small from the onset, and even with the Wii taken into account as the defacto GC redesign, the size reduction was relatively minimal (this reflects the different nature between Sony and Nintendo's HW - the FC and SFC redesigns were minimal compared to the PSone/2). The PS3 is on a vastly different plane here. Even if the original Xbox were super successful, it would never have been redesigned. That must be taken into account.
What grounds do you have for assuming the original Xbox would never have been redesigned, had it been super successful? Sega and Nintendo manufactured their own hardware, just as Sony does. In that respect they were electronics companies too. MS does not make the components of their consoles, but they are responsible for overall manufacture. The main area where Sony has some advantage is that they can use Cell in other products, but in the discussion below, it is difficult to see where a single-chip PS3 solution could be reusable.

Also, your argument relies on the redesign being dependent on the console war in Japan, but that's only part of the picture. In the West, the PS3 managed to keep up with or surpass the 360 this year in NA, while it's been leading in Europe for a long time (sales there have been solid, AFAIK). So there are so many factors at play here than just Japan. From what I can tell, western PS3 sales have been solid for the last few months, all things considered. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one.
The "console war", as you put it, has been lost to Wii already. There is no way Sony will catch up to Nintendo's lead now. They may be scrapping over second place, but that's the same situation MS and Nintendo were in last generation. Sony's situation in Japan is as important as elsewhere, largely because of the software support that would be necessary for growth worldwide.

Seeing as how the DS Lite was responsible for finally pushing the DS above the PSP in monthly hardware sales in the US, I wouldn't be surprised if a redesigned PS3 truly brought the 360 and PS3 further apart.
This is something I am surprised to hear you say :) Of all the discussion in this thread, I think we've reached one conclusion - hardware design doesn't push hardware sales; software does. The introduction of DSlite was simultaneous with the explosion of non-game software in every region. Besides, the DSlite wasn't even a cheaper model - it was just a more aesthetically pleasing design. We can make guesses what might have happened without a redesign, but there is no surefire answer.

Back to the point at hand.

PS1 and PS2 redesigns featured a number of different devices to achieve low cost and compact design.
1. Miniaturization of semiconductor technology. In both the PS1 and PS2 cases, the core chips were able to be reduced to single chips. Many people in this thread are citing 45nm tech as grounds to make a PS3 slim, but shouldn't we be waiting until the Cell and RSX are on a single chip? This itself seems quite unlikely anyway, given Sony's intent to reuse Cell across its entire range of products.
2. Removal of cooling tech. Both PS1 and PS2 miniaturization resulted in chips that ran significantly cooler, eliminating the need for cooling tech. To achieve this in PS3 would rely on three things: external PSU, new chipset running cool enough AND safe temperature for HDD operation. The HDD is a factor not present in previous Sony consoles, but it definitely comes into the heat equation. (As an aside, let us consider Fafalada's suggestion of solid state memory replacing HDD. This certainly isn't going to be cost effective next year. If anyone cares to make some reasonable fact-based projection for beyond that, by all means go ahead).
3. HDD. Back to this part, but not heat-related this time. HDD inclusion brings with it some size requirements. Regardless of brand, we're talking at least 95mm thick, 7cm wide, 10cm long. Including the Blu-ray drive alongside this will rule out a form factor as small as the PStwo or PSone, at least.
4. Removal of several interfaces. PS1 lost all outputs except power and combined audio/video socket. The PS2 lost it's interface adaptor, removing the possibility to use external hard drives (previous minor revisions had already removed the iLink functionality). What could Sony reasonably remove while maintaining core functionality of the PS3?
5. External PSU. This can be achieved regardless of power consumption (see other hardware), but Sony seems historically to prefer external PSUs when a low power consumption has been achieved.

And finally the sales data (from Sony's site).

Around 73 million PS1s were on the market when PSone was released. The PS1 family soldiered on with another 29 million or so units. Original release of PS1 was 1994/12, PSone in 2000/07, a gap of six and a half years.

Some 80 million PS2s were on the market when PStwo was released. PS2 family currently stands at 131 million (these are manufactured numbers, by the way). PS2 hit the market in Japan 2000/03, PStwo 2004/11, with a gap of four and a half years.

PS3 currently stands somewhere around 11-13 million? No current figures are on the Sony site, and manufacturing numbers, in particular, are over a year out of date. But clearly not approaching the momentum either of its predecessors had.

The gap from PS2->PStwo was shorter for two main reasons: 1) PS2 had already achieved much more success than PS1 in a shorter time frame and 2) PS2 piracy was growing rapidly with the HDD adaptor.

Price info:
PS1 (1994/12) = 39800 yen / PSone (2000/07) = 15000 yen
PS2 (2000/03) = 39800 yen / PStwo (2004/11) = open price, but most stores sold for 19800 yen
PS3 (2006/12) = 49800 yen

D.Lo

The main issue here - has a home console re-design ever been known to spur sales? No, because they've either been too late to make much difference (SNES), or were of consoles selling regardless (PS1, PS2).

The Famicom re-design was almost more comparable to the 360 Elite or Halo edition - a new output method (AV, HDMI) and a new look, it wasn't even much smaller (of course it was smaller then the NES, but the new NES really just brought the US in line with the original Japanese design).

Honestly, I can't see a re-design helping. They may assist existing momentum, but unless they offer something other then a size reduction (BC? Or maybe a non-rrod 360?) why would someone jump in who didn't care before?

gantz85 said:
Yes.

Smaller chassis, lighter weight = Cheaper shipping costs, less overhead cost for storage, cheaper production costs etc.

yes, but it ends up being a whole new product, and new lines must be created, rather then old ones adapted.

cvxfreak said:
Sony's history as an electronics manufacturer doesn't count now?
Successful consoles sell much, much more then any individual electronics SKU though. I doubt Sony has any individual model of TV that sold anywhere near the any major revision of the PS2.

cvxfreak said:
The DS re-design looked much, much better and added functionality (better screens). What value can a new PS3 ad?

quest

Not Banned from OT
gantz85 said:
Yes.

For those reasons we will see a slim version of the 360 and PS3 when they hit 45nm. I see no reason for MS not to introduce a slim once 45nm hits and they can intergrate xenon and the 2 xenos chips. The question is when can ms get there since they have to depend on 3rd party fabs. Look they won't get to complete 65nm solution till this fall. I no doubt sony will get there first by a 12-18 months.

davepoobond

Jonnyram said:
PS3 currently stands somewhere around 11-13 million? No current figures are on the Sony site, and manufacturing numbers, in particular, are over a year out of date. But clearly not approaching the momentum either of its predecessors had.

earlier you said that PS3 was tracking behind GameCube, but (according to Wikipedia, at least) Gamecube is at 21.75 million units. PS3 is already half that. You really think that PS3 won't sell at least 10 million more consoles in the next 4 years (on par with GameCube's length of availability)

Jonnyram

davepoobond said:
earlier you said that PS3 was tracking behind GameCube, but (according to Wikipedia, at least) Gamecube is at 21.75 million units. PS3 is already half that. You really think that PS3 won't sell at least 10 million more consoles in the next 4 years (on par with GameCube's length of availability)
Why should it? It's tracking behind GC because GC sales were front-loaded and tapered out. What evidence do we have that PS3 will counter this?

D.Lo

davepoobond said:
He also said possibly lower then the Saturn, so clearly meant Japan-only.

And losing consoles sell okay for a year or two then less as it becomes clear to the public they're not coming back.

davepoobond

Jonnyram said:
Why should it? It's tracking behind GC because GC sales were front-loaded and tapered out. What evidence do we have that PS3 will counter this?

well, there's not exactly a long enough amount of time for PS3's data set to really make a case for it not tapering off, but it is selling a bit more YOY than its first year...which isn't exactly "tapering off"

D.Lo said:
He also said possibly lower then the Saturn, so clearly meant Japan-only.

even so, Jonnyram brought up worldwide figures.

And even then, PS3 is at like 2 million or so LTD in Japan, GameCube did 4 million. So it's still half.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
What grounds do you have for assuming the original Xbox would never have been redesigned, had it been super successful? Sega and Nintendo manufactured their own hardware, just as Sony does. In that respect they were electronics companies too. MS does not make the components of their consoles, but they are responsible for overall manufacture. The main area where Sony has some advantage is that they can use Cell in other products, but in the discussion below, it is difficult to see where a single-chip PS3 solution could be reusable.

Well, I've just read on many occasions throughout the years that the Xbox was made up of off-the-shelf PC parts, which precluded any major design changes and kept the system's price higher in the end than the other two. If I'm mistaken, someone tell me. But hardware redesigns depend on the nature of the hardware as much as, and in theory more than a mere position in the console war. If the PS3 followed the same design philosophy as the GC, then I don't think a redesign would be on many people's minds...

The "console war", as you put it, has been lost to Wii already. There is no way Sony will catch up to Nintendo's lead now. They may be scrapping over second place, but that's the same situation MS and Nintendo were in last generation. Sony's situation in Japan is as important as elsewhere, largely because of the software support that would be necessary for growth worldwide.

As weird as this may be, I'm not really considering the Wii at all. They've won for sure, but in the context of the HD systems. The way I see it, Nintendo's seizure of Sony's market is set, so Sony has to focus on staying ahead of MS. "2nd" place in this race will still mean first place for HD hardware -- with the various infrastructures Sony and MS have in place or will establish to bring in revenue, they've still got a lot on the line against each other regardless of Nintendo's position.

This is something I am surprised to hear you say :) Of all the discussion in this thread, I think we've reached one conclusion - hardware design doesn't push hardware sales; software does. The introduction of DSlite was simultaneous with the explosion of non-game software in every region. Besides, the DSlite wasn't even a cheaper model - it was just a more aesthetically pleasing design. We can make guesses what might have happened without a redesign, but there is no surefire answer.

The Lite was the same price in NA and minimally more expensive in Japan. :p
But I made the above comment because even NSMB and Brain Age had failed to put the DS above the PSP (and GBA!) in monthly sales back in 2006. It seemed that it took the design of the DS Lite to get the iPod-centric NA market to look at the DS again for real. The DS Lite's design itself has probably got very little to do with its *current* success, but I think it was a factor in moving things forward back in 2006 in NA. So there might be some notion to what redesigns can do to platforms. It can't be solidly proven but it can be brought up.

Back to the point at hand.
*snip*

For sure, the PS3 will NEVER be as slim as the earlier models. It's just not possible, but to get the thing reasonably smaller should be one of Sony's priorities. Whether Sony needs to sell boatloads more PS3s to get the redesign out remains to be seen. We'll see what happens. :)

Jonnyram

davepoobond said:
well, there's not exactly a long enough amount of time for PS3's data set to really make a case for it not tapering off, but it is selling a bit more YOY than its first year...which isn't exactly "tapering off"
The GC did too, didn't it? Not 100% sure though. This usually happens with hardware because the first year lacks software and the second year has lots. Is it too early to say the PS3 has blown its load in terms of software? No huge 3rd party exclusives on the horizon, at least. No list wars, please.

even so, Jonnyram brought up worldwide figures.

And even then, PS3 is at like 2 million or so LTD in Japan, GameCube did 4 million. So it's still half.
Yeah, I originally talked about Japan, and discussion went on to worldwide later. I don't know if PS3 is tracking less worldwide. I don't have the data and wouldn't usually presume, but I believe the GC had a very strong start in NA at least.

Durante

I think some people in this thread vastly overestimate the cost for a company like Sony to create a redesigned system. They have already redesigned the MB 3 (or 4?) times since release, redesigned the cooling system 3 times, and continually redesign the CPU and the GPU for cost savings. I'm with Fafalada here: a redesign of the outer enclosure is inevitable -- before even considering making the system more attractive it will happen even just for cost reasons.

cvxfreak

D.Lo said:
The main issue here - has a home console re-design ever been known to spur sales?

DS Lite in the U.S. at the beginning
PSP Slim now in Japan

Didn't the GBASP plant the seeds of Nintendo's aim to attract older gamers? It was the first hardware launch under Iwata, so...

These are handhelds, though. Different ballgame, but whatever. :p

Successful consoles sell much, much more then any individual electronics SKU though. I doubt Sony has any individual model of TV that sold anywhere near the any major revision of the PS2.

Huh? What exactly does that take away from Sony's ability to design hardware? They have plenty of history with the PS family alone.

The DS re-design looked much, much better and added functionality (better screens). What value can a new PS3 ad?

I asked myself the same question with the minimally redesigned PSP Slim. Then I came to the conclusion that hardware redesigns are able to legitimize identity reboots. Hell, I think MS dropped the ball last year in terms of at least changing the 360's look to coincide with its inclusion of HDMI and the apparent resolution of the RROD. I don't consider it a coincidence that many seem to still be suspicious of the hardware quality, and therefore sales are stagnant.

Rolf NB

Jonnyram said:
Gamecube sold less in its third full year with regular weekly sales bouncing around 6k to 9k. The only reason why it may or may not be "tracking ahead" is because it launched earlier in the year, and if you align the launches, where it's Feb for the PS3 the Gamecube will be in the middle of its holiday bump.

edit: and regardless, that's completely tangential to whether or not a PS3 redesign is likely. A chassis redesign reduces cost. It simply isn't the case, and you haven't argued in any way your assertion that a certain level of sales success is required for a console to "deserve" the treatment.

cvxfreak

Jonnyram said:
The GC did too, didn't it? Not 100% sure though. This usually happens with hardware because the first year lacks software and the second year has lots. Is it too early to say the PS3 has blown its load in terms of software? No huge 3rd party exclusives on the horizon, at least. No list wars, please.

Yeah, I originally talked about Japan, and discussion went on to worldwide later. I don't know if PS3 is tracking less worldwide. I don't have the data and wouldn't usually presume, but I believe the GC had a very strong start in NA at least.

It can't be tracking behind worldwide anymore, thanks in part to the PS3's solid position in Europe.
Remember that by 2004, European and Australian retailers had few reasons to keep the GameCube in stock anymore. GC sales also seemed to never break the 200K barrier monthly in the U.S.

Meanwhile, the success of many third party HD games depend on the health of both the 360 and PS3, while the non-existence of the GC by 2004 in parts of the world had no impact on the third parties aside from the occasional Japanese publisher who still had major GC exclusives (Capcom :/).

Parl

cvxfreak said:
DS Lite in the U.S. at the beginning
PSP Slim now in Japan

Didn't the GBASP plant the seeds of Nintendo's aim to attract older gamers? It was the first hardware launch under Iwata, so...

These are handhelds, though. Different ballgame, but whatever. :p
It ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fucking sport. Look, handhelds don't mean shit.

cvxfreak

Parl said:
It ain't the same league, it ain't even the same fucking sport. Look, handhelds don't mean shit.

Can you really say that after Nintendo themselves admitted that they went into the Wii and DS with a similar strategy and mindset of bringing in non-gamers through easily accessible products?

The last time someone told me handhelds had nothing to do with the potential for a console's success was when people were writing off the Wii in favor of the PS3 expressly because the DS was a handheld and therefore had NO bearing on the other market.

Raist

Banned
Seeing how they have already redesigned the PS3's motherboard, and even significantly reduced its size, same for the cooling system (and IIRC there was a topic a few months ago about a company developping an even smaller and lighter cooling system), while the console isn't even 2 years old yet, I can't see why a redesign wouldn't happen.

Parl

cvxfreak said:
Can you really say that after Nintendo themselves admitted that they went into the Wii and DS with a similar strategy and mindset of bringing in non-gamers through easily accessible products?

The last time someone told me handhelds had nothing to do with the potential for a console's success was when people were writing off the Wii in favor of the PS3 expressly because the DS was a handheld and therefore had NO bearing on the other market.
Nintendo's got their technique down and everything.

Wii and DS are both following disruptive strategies (DS didn't until the advent of Nintendogs/BT), but I'd think that the size of a handheld is much more important than it is for a home system, due to the fact they have to be carried and fit in the pocket and in your hands comfortably. Also the weight is more important in a handheld. And also the aesthetics are due to people's preferring to be seen with better looking tech in their hands, based on people's choice of mobile phones. All of these factors are relevant to some degree with home systems, I just think that with handhelds, it's MUCH more relevant.

The DS Tank to DS Lite was smaller, lighter and much better looking (and had much better/brighter screens). It made it a much more relevant handheld as it was easier to carry, more pleasing to use, and people would feel much better about whipping it out on a train or what not. With a home system, changing the aesthetics of the system itself wouldn't alter your experience as you're interfacing with the same controller and television than before, and you don't have to hold your home console while you play it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Jonnyram said:

MS did not own the IPs for the first xbox. They had to take what ever nvidia and intel gave them. They could not do a major re-design on the system if they wanted to because of that. Nvidia and Intel had no reason to help MS because they got the same money per chip. This is the biggest reason they completely scrapped the xbox so soon. They could not lower the cost of the machine and kept on bleeding money on every unit sold. This time around they control the IPs and can re-design all they want to lower costs. Every new process they can use to shrink the chips MS saves money unlike last time when nvidia and intel just got fat off each die shrink. By the end of the generation the 360 arcade should be dirt cheap to produce when they get all the chips on 1 die.

That said Sony will get to a slim model first because they can fab better than the 3rd parties MS depends on.

A PS3 redesign is definetly possible, yet not inevitable imo. And why are people comparing the PSP and DS redesign to a PS3 redesign? If anything draw comparissons to the console redesigns. Did they have a significant impact on sales and perception? If not, that doesn't mean a PS3 redesing could not have such an impact or is feasible for Sony but it sure doesn't prove the opposite.

Durante said:
I think some people in this thread vastly overestimate the cost for a company like Sony to create a redesigned system. They have already redesigned the MB 3 (or 4?) times since release, redesigned the cooling system 3 times, and continually redesign the CPU and the GPU for cost savings. I'm with Fafalada here: a redesign of the outer enclosure is inevitable -- before even considering making the system more attractive it will happen even just for cost reasons.
Not that I have an interest to partake in this particular discussion but internal redesign and external redesign are two different things. On top of what the actual r&d costs you also have to change the whole packaging, advertising (brochures etc.) etc. The huge cost savings are in the actual changes to the system that would allow an external redesign imo.

Miburou said:
Phantasy Star Portable shipped 500K in its first week, yay!
Er, carry on, gentlemen.
I thought it was 400k first week shipments?

Defuser

Phife Dawg said:
I thought it was 400k first week shipments?
Sega aimed for 400k but they managed to exceed it.

They must be super please with the sales considering it's the only Phantasy Star that has the potential to sell gangbusters.

Defuser said:
Sega aimed for 400k but they managed to exceed it.

They must be super please with the sales considering it's the only Phantasy Star that has the potential to sell gangbusters.
Ah, good news, good news.

Neo C.

Phife Dawg said:
A PS3 redesign is definetly possible, yet not inevitable imo. And why are people comparing the PSP and DS redesign to a PS3 redesign? If anything draw comparissons to the console redesigns. Did they have a significant impact on sales and perception? If not, that doesn't mean a PS3 redesing could not have such an impact or is feasible for Sony but it sure doesn't prove the opposite.
I guess we can see the size (or more general: the form) of a console rather as a pull-factor than a push-factor. While most of us think that the size of a handheld is much more important because of the portability, a proper redesign surely doesn't hurt the sales. IMO, the size is a pull-factor just like the prize: Some consumers may want to buy a PS3, but they may hesitate for several reasons. Decrease the prize and the size, and they may rethink about it.

Neo C. said:
I guess we can see the size (or more general: the form) of a console rather as a pull-factor than a push-factor. While most of us think that the size of a handheld is much more important because of the portability, a proper redesign surely doesn't hurt the sales. IMO, the size is a pull-factor just like the prize: Some consumers may want to buy a PS3, but they may hesitate for several reasons. Decrease the prize and the size, and they may rethink about it.
I didn't say it would hurt sales but as you said, size is a crucial attribute in a portable device. In a multimedia hub not so much. Iirc there was no price drop for the PSP S&L, so this comparisson is limited solely to the size.

Neo C. said:
IMO, the size is a pull-factor just like the prize: Some consumers may want to buy a PS3, but they may hesitate for several reasons. Decrease the prize and the size, and they may rethink about it.

I don't think anyone has yet produced even a single case of some specific person in the real world who has "hesitated" due to console size, though. I think this is a largely manufactured concern, and one that I don't think would have any meaningful impact following a slimmer console model release.

I'm reasonably convinced by this thread that a new hardware design is a good opportunity to "reset" certain aspects of your public perception, but I think we've also established pretty effectively that PS3 doesn't really have any specific qualities or areas of software that it would benefit from bringing to the public's attention right now.

Also, Phife is right in identifying the non-manufacturing costs as the bigger deal when launching a remodeled console -- it's a huge expenditure of marketing and logistics that (ideally) pays for itself eventually in reduced fab cost and reinvigorated interest. I don't think Sony couldn't afford that upfront cost, but without a specific angle to hook people on as discussed above, I don't see that it would be worth the cost when they could just keep making the innards cheaper for now.

charlequin said:
I don't think anyone has yet produced even a single case of some specific person in the real world who has "hesitated" due to console size, though. I think this is a largely manufactured concern, and one that I don't think would have any meaningful impact following a slimmer console model release.

I'm reasonably convinced by this thread that a new hardware design is a good opportunity to "reset" certain aspects of your public perception, but I think we've also established pretty effectively that PS3 doesn't really have any specific qualities or areas of software that it would benefit from bringing to the public's attention right now.

Also, Phife is right in identifying the non-manufacturing costs as the bigger deal when launching a remodeled console -- it's a huge expenditure of marketing and logistics that (ideally) pays for itself eventually in reduced fab cost and reinvigorated interest. I don't think Sony couldn't afford that upfront cost, but without a specific angle to hook people on as discussed above, I don't see that it would be worth the cost when they could just keep making the innards cheaper for now.
Just think about it though. If they can pull it off sometime the Japanese market could be larger then it ever has. Like what's becoming of the Japanese handheld market.

It could potentially be a 40-45 million unit market in Japan by the time either platform is pulled off the shelves. The DS Lite was even a price increase from the DS Phat with no subsequent drop and it still sells very well weekly without missing a beat. Nowhere near it's prior heights, but improving as of late.

The handheld market is seeing a large boom, and I do think the console market could see something similar if the two slightly relevant parties play their cards right. Hell even MS may be able to add a million units to the pie this time.

I really hope Sony gets a slim PS3 together soon. That way it can come out, provide a temporary bump, then slide back into irrelevancy and people can stop the silliness that form factor/size is the problem the Japanese have with the PS3.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I really hope Sony gets a slim PS3 together soon. That way it can come out, provide a temporary bump, then slide back into irrelevancy and people can stop the silliness that form factor/size is the problem the Japanese have with the PS3.
Only an idiot would think that and price are it's only problems. It's a whole range of problems that don't seem to be getting any resolution soon.

But I don't think they'd be completely screwed if they played the game a bit differently. Ride out the next few years failing, get the price down, secure some heavy japan oriented software, and more or less relaunch the PS3 as a smaller device using flash storage (as stated earlier), with quality software at a much lower price. Or completely redefine the platform around it's nongaming functions. Turn it into a really cheap PC.

There's a couple of ways to go that might in the end turn around mindshare, but the marketshare is lost.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Thunder Monkey said:
secure some heavy japan oriented software, .

I'm not necessarily talking about you, but I still don't understand why people think this is as easy as Sony just *deciding* to do it. It sure doesn't look like it will happen internally, and 3rd parties have a whole host of more attractive options at the moment.

Miburou

Regarding the size of the PS3 in Japan, I don't think it's the size itself, but the image it gives of being a pricey and complex HT device.

It's obviously just my own experience, but when I was in Japan helping my friend with his English teaching duties, I got invited to this family's house (my friend was teaching their twin daughters, around 12 years old). I bought them Wii fit as a gift, and I was surprised that they also have a PS2 under the TV (the original one, not the slim). When I asked why they haven't bought a PS3, they told me it seems too complicated and only good "if you have an LCD TV".

Again, purely anecdotal evidence, but it got me thinking that a smaller PS3 might change this image some people have. Of course with the success of the Wii, the PS3 will never look as approachable as the PS2 was.

noonche

schuelma said:
I'm not necessarily talking about you, but I still don't understand why people think this is as easy as Sony just *deciding* to do it. It sure doesn't look like it will happen internally, and 3rd parties have a whole host of more attractive options at the moment.

Definitely. I think the best thing they could do at this point is pour money into expanding Japan Studio in a similar manner to how World Wide Studios was expanded and plenty of developers where aquired. It won't deliver quick results; maybe not even this generation. But I think it's the best long-term solution to their software problem.

Top Bottom