• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 07/28 - 08/03

Tron 2.0

PantherLotus said:
FF did as expected, I think.
That's true. A 94% sell-through rate means retail did an excellent job of gauging demand. I guess it'll end up selling better than the first title, but a little worse than the second a third.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I don't. At the rate the psp MH titles are increasing in sales, MH3 on psp could have done 3 million in sales.
Monster Hunter Portable =/= Monster Hunter.

Raggy said:
Is Siren: New Translation, the same as Siren: Blood Curse ?
Yes. Siren: New Translation is the Japanese name.

John Harker said:
Did Fatal Frame outsell Siren's first day?
I don't know about first day, but Siren did about 1,500 better its first week.

Arde5643

Tron 2.0 said:
That's true. A 94% sell-through rate means retail did an excellent job of gauging demand. I guess it'll end up selling better than the first title, but a little worse than the second a third.
A 94% sell-through would mean that it's pretty much sold out, right?

If that's the case, wouldn't that mean retailers ordered less than they should have?

JoshuaJSlone said:
However, an alternate page with several times as many inputs might not be a bad idea.
So here's linecomparelong.html, allowing up to 30 entries. It will produce ridiculously long URLs, but if you're a Windows user you should be able to shorten them using this simple tool I made to shorten the URLs and make them GAF-displayable. I definitely need to make a web version of that URL-shortening tool.

Test of a ridiculous 30 lines.

Tron 2.0

Arde5643 said:
A 94% sell-through would mean that it's pretty much sold out, right?

If that's the case, wouldn't that mean retailers ordered less than they should have?
Only if there were people that wanted to buy the game, but couldn't because it wasn't available.

That doesn't seem to be the case on a widespread basis, but I don't live in Japan.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seems Nintendo's new strategy of announcing games a month before release didn't seem to have very good results. Who would have guessed.

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Seems Nintendo's new strategy of announcing games a month before release didn't seem to have very good results. Who would have guessed.

Because the Japanese market is exactly like the American market.

Jammy

Banned
Oblivion said:

This has been said NUMEROUS times before, but Fatal Frame IV would not have sold any better had it been advertised to hell and back. This series has always done ~40,000 during launch week on PS2. A less-advertised installment on a system with a smaller userbase did par for the course.

Now, if you're talking about Wario Land, that's just one instance. And it happened to do nearly as well in its second week as it did in its first.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oblivion said:

Fatal Frame was never going to do well.

Wario, on the other hand... :(

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
AniHawk said:
Because the Japanese market is exactly like the American market.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but if Wario Land does do well in the west, it'll simply be due to people actually knowing about it by the time it's released here.

Jammy said:
This has been said NUMEROUS times before, but Fatal Frame IV would not have sold any better had it been advertised to hell and back. This series has always done ~40,000 during launch week on PS2. A less-advertised installment on a system with a smaller userbase did par for the course.

Now, if you're talking about Wario Land, that's just one instance. And it happened to do nearly as well in its second week as it did in its first.

Fatal Frame's a shame, but yeah I was referring to Wario Land.

donny2112

Busaiku said:
Wario Land hasn't had a price collapse yet, and is showing some legs, so it is doing well enough, I guess.

But not as well as it probably would've if Nintendo had announced it at last Fall's conference, provided videos to the press during the Spring (everything up to this point would've cost Nintendo almost nothing extra), and advertised it for a longer time period before its release.

DigitalA1chemy said:
Jesus Sega, announce a NA release for Phantasy Star already...
You know it's just a portable version of Phantasy Star Universe, right?

SEGA probably will release it in NA, but only because they tend to defy all logic in their business decisions. I mean, port of a bad-selling game for a system with poor software sales in a country that doesn't give a rat's ass about MH (which is definitely the back that PhSP rode in on here in Japan) doesn't scream potential success to me.

donny2112

Famitsu Jul 21-27

1. NDS Dragon Quest V 185061 / 864503
2. PS2 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 86950 / NEW
3. PSP Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki the 3rd 48737 / NEW
4. PSP Gundam Battle Universe 40198 / 193378
5. PS3 SIREN: New Translation 36341 / NEW
6. WII Wii Fit 30048 / 2365304
7. NDS Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Hyper - Moeyo Mirai 27732 / NEW
8. WII Wario Land: Shake It! 24291 / NEW
9. WII Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 19991 / NEW
10. WII Mario Kart Wii 19129 / 1600910
11. PS2 Persona 4 17051 / 264319
12. NDS Daigasso! Band Brothers DX 15892 / 225629
13. NDS Densetsu no Stafi: Taiketsu! Dire Kaizokudan 15244 / 68570
14. WII Wii Sports 13745 / 3055599
15. 360 Bully 11492 / NEW
16. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2 G 10913 / 2352206
17. WII Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball 10680 / 134257
18. NDS Kirarin * Revolution: Minna de Odorou Furi Furi Debut! 10390 / NEW
19. NDS Taiko Drum Master 2 10221 / 251504
20. NDS Derby Stallion DS 9914 / 222328
21. PS2 Bully 9770 / NEW
22. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 9562 / 5535658
23. NDS Mario Kart DS 8149 / 3141385
24. NDS Beautiful Letter Training DS 8014 / 338422
25. PS3 Tears to Tiara: Kakan no Daichi 7943 / 42319
26. PS3 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot 7926 / 621653
27. WII Wii Play 7779 / 2431182
28. WII Resident Evil 0 7334 / 41304
29. NDS Twilight Syndrome: Kinjiratera Toshi Densetsu (Forbidden Urban Legend) 7303 / NEW
30. WII Mesaze! Tsuri Master: Sekai ni Challenge! Hen (Aim for it!! Fishing Master: Challenge the World! Volume) 7289 / NEW

*. PS2 Samurai Shodown Anthology 6100 / NEW
*. PSP Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus 4900 / NEW
*. NDS Machi-Ing Maker DS 2900 / NEW
*. PSP Infinite Loop: Kojjou ga Miseta Yume 2600 / NEW
*. 360 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 1500 / NEW
*. PSP Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (BEST) 1500 / NEW
*. NDS Moetan DS 1300 / NEW
*. PS2 Resident Evil 4 (BEST Reprint) 1300 / NEW
*. NDS Kangaeru Ryoku o Gungun Nobasu! DS Youji no Nou Tre (Expand Your Mind! DS Early Learning) 1000 / NEW
*. WII Samurai Shodown Anthology 1000 / NEW
*. NDS Touch de Taikyaku! Yawaraka Sensha (Touch Retreat! Gentle Tanks) 790 / NEW
*. NDS Sim City DS (BEST) 730 / NEW
*. NDS New International Track & Field 630 / NEW
*. NDS Kikansha Thomas DS 2: Asonde Manabu DS Youchien (Thomas the Tank Engine: Play to Learn DS) 610 / NEW
*. NDS Koma Neko DS (Guardian Cat) 530 / NEW

Bar Chart Jul 21-27 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2008-07-21

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

Jun 23-29, 2008
Jun 30-Jul 6, 2008
Jul 7-13, 2008
Jul 14-20, 2008

Replicant

John Harker said:
Did Fatal Frame outsell Siren's first day?

IIRC they sold about the same for first day sale. But bear in mind that neither Siren's first day nor Siren's first week number included the download numbers. And in the first week, Siren outsold Fatal Frame.

Oblivion said:

You mean the games that have legs for months on end?

Wario Land will still be on the charts for quite a while.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
Source = Famitsu for all but the PSP value. The Famitsu number for PSP's first week is 329K.

Nice charts. Really shows how well PSP is doing in the PSP gaming pantheon. :)

Thanks, and fixed. Where do I find that? I thought Famitsu SW wasn't released until next week.

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
Thanks, and fixed. Where do I find that? I thought Famitsu SW wasn't released until next week.

The leaked numbers are on 2ch, but no one (including me) posted the full set this week. I just posted the hardware numbers from there on the first page.

Jokeropia

It seems Wii Fit will soon outsell Wii Play.
Jtyettis said:
Streams will cross again, likely.
360/PS3 as well as DS/PSP, yep. The former next week due to a bump and the latter eventually looking at the steady closing-in that's been going on for months.

donny2112

1. [PSP] Phantasy Star Portable (SEGA) - 341,700 / NEW
2. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 212,877 / NEW
3. [NDS] Dragon Quest V (Square Enix) - 111,836 / 946,000
4. [PS3] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 74,607 / NEW
5. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 15 (Konami) - 37,106 / 121,000
6. [360] Soul Calibur IV (Namco Bandai Games) - 34,786 / NEW
7. [WII] Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse (Nintendo) - 33,456 / NEW
8. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 32,201 / 2,442,000
9. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 23,143 / 1,633,000
10. [PSP] Gundam Battle Universe (Namco Bandai Games) - 20,856 / 201,000

31. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot (Konami)
32. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
33. [NDS] Derby Stallion DS (Enterbrain)
34. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo)
35. [PSP] PC Engine Best Collections: Ginga Ojousama Densetsu Collection (Galaxy Lady Legend) (Hudson)
36. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)
37. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.)
38. [WII] Family Trainer (Namco Bandai Games)
39. [PS2] Bully (Bethesda Softworks)
40. [PS3] Tears to Tiara: Kakan no Daichi (Aqua Plus)
41. [NDS] Bokura wa Kaseki Holder (We are Fossil Diggers) (Nintendo)
42. [NDS] Twilight Syndrome: Kinjiratera Toshi Densetsu (Forbidden Urban Legend) (Spike)
43. [WII] Mesaze! Tsuri Master: Sekai ni Challenge! Hen (Aim for it!! Fishing Master: Challenge the World! Volume) (Hudson)
44. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo)
45. [NDS] Pokemon Pearl (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.)
46. [WII] Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo)
47. [NDS] Tottadoo! Yoiko's Deserted Island Life (Namco Bandai Games)
48. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo)
49. [WII] Resident Evil 0 (Capcom)
50. [WII] Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Namco Bandai Games)

NDS - 22
WII - 13
PSP - 7
PS3 - 4
PS2 - 3
360 - 1

duckroll

360 hardware should outsell PS3 hardware in next week's numbers, for a single week. Brace yourselves, defenders of Kutaragi's honor.

donny2112

MGS4 @ #31, so it didn't slide off completely.

Speaking of sliding off completely, "Hello there, Tales of Symphonia!"

duckroll said:
360 hardware should outsell PS3 hardware in next week's numbers, for a single week.

The bigger question is "Will it stay above the PS3 for more than one week?" Microsoft is ripe for some crazy PR if they can get the supply in place and demand stays "high."

duckroll

donny2112 said:
The bigger question is "Will it stay above the PS3 for more than one week?" Microsoft is ripe for some crazy PR if they can get the supply in place and demand stays "high."

Nah, expecting it to stay high for more than a week is pretty unrealistic imo. It should go over 10k next week, and then slip back to sub-10k before going back to 2k a week. Infinite Undiscovery will probably have pretty minor impact on hardware sales, since people who bought ToV and a 360 this month will be buying that. I doubt many people will be buying a system just to play a tri-Ace game in Japan, so I don't expect a huge surge.

Quazar

duckroll said:
Nah, expecting it to stay high for more than a week is pretty unrealistic imo. It should go over 10k next week, and then slip back to sub-10k before going back to 2k a week. Infinite Undiscovery will probably have pretty minor impact on hardware sales, since people who bought ToV and a 360 this month will be buying that. I doubt many people will be buying a system just to play a tri-Ace game in Japan, so I don't expect a huge surge.

Good post. Exactly my expectations.

AniHawk

Oblivion said:
Not sure what you're trying to say, but if Wario Land does do well in the west, it'll simply be due to people actually knowing about it by the time it's released here.

Wanna see this rock I have? It keeps tigers away.

donny2112

duckroll said:
It should go over 10k next week, and then slip back to sub-10k before going back to 2k a week.

I'll don't think it'll be going back to 2K per week (barring shortages) again, anytime soon. Beating the PS3 for more than one week is kind of out there as far as chances go, though.

Media-Create blurb:

Total sales for the Top 100 titles were 1,372,434, 145.19% of last week, and 134.37% of the average weekly sales. 19 new titles made the ranking this week, making up a high 56.17% of the sales. Phantasy Star Portable is in first place with 342K. (Something about a retail demo(?)/trial version increasing the rate of digestion. "86.01%"(?)) With communication and cooperation with others as enjoyable points, the similarities to the Monster Hunter series helped sales. (Talks about Crisis Core: FFVII and how it started at 487K and has a LTD of 772K.)

In second place is Rhythm Tengoku Gold with 213K sales. The GBA version was released in August 2006 with first week sales of 37K, so this is a good start. For other new games, there is Soul Calibur IV (PS3: 75K, 360: 35K) and Fatal Frame: Lunar Mask (33K). Backed by a strong price for the software market, Summer excitement is starting to show.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
DMPrince said:
nah. it's going to be around 40k-70k.

as far as selling consoles? they have a bundle right? if microsoft did it right next week's number they will have a 110% increase compared to this week's number.

But has a 360 game ever got #1 on the charts before?

Yeah there have been a few... pretty much all of the really big ones.

I am fairly certain that Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ace Combat 6, Halo 3, Lost Planet, Dead Rising and Gears of War have all claimed the #1 spot for at least one week. Idol Master may have even taken the spot once before, too...

duckroll

donny2112 said:
I'll don't think it'll be going back to 2K per week (barring shortages) again, anytime soon. Beating the PS3 for more than one week is kind of out there as far as chances go, though.

Why not? We thought the same thing last holiday season, and the one before that. Every time MS announces they have a solid line up of 5-6 upcoming Japanese games for the 360, there's the expectation that it's going to be a "real boost" this time. It just never happens. I don't see why it'll be any different this time.

Zefah said:
Yeah there have been a few... pretty much all of the really big ones.

I am fairly certain that Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Ace Combat 6, Halo 3, Lost Planet, Dead Rising and Gears of War have all claimed the #1 spot for at least one week. Idol Master may have even taken the spot once before, too...

Bullshit. :p

Pachael

We just went through this for the PS3 - I think some were expecting a permanent boost after MGS4 hit, and hit large. Of course, as we now all know, PS3 weekly sales have slumped back to below 10,000.

Ace Combat and Halo 3 got #2 on the charts if I remember correctly - the closest any X360 game has got.

donny2112

duckroll said:

Because the current bump's been going for six weeks now without a real reason other than Tales coming up and/or the RPG announcements. I don't think it's mainly due to Tales coming soon, so I don't know why it would go back to the previous level anytime soon, either. Maybe the core-type PS3 owners are getting bored of the lack of games and are picking up a 360 to keep themselves entertained? :lol

Tron 2.0

Zefah said:
That is so not true. So very not true:

Blue Dragon : 4th Place

Lost Odyssey: 6th Place

Halo 3: 2nd Place

Dead Rising: 9th Place

Gears of War: 8th Place

Can't find info for Ace Combat 6 or Lost Planet. But my guess? NOT FIRST PLACE.

duckroll

donny2112 said:
Because the current bump's been going for six weeks now without a real reason other than Tales coming up and/or the RPG announcements. I don't think it's mainly due to Tales coming soon, so I don't know why it would go back to the previous level anytime soon, either. Maybe the core-type PS3 owners are getting bored of the lack of games and are picking up a 360 to keep themselves entertained? :lol

That's a good point, I think it could stablize at 4-5k eventually as the new average for 360 hardware. It's still pretty bad though, unless a miracle happens I don't think we can really see this as a great improvement over the usual. Not that the PS3 is really pulling fantastic numbers either though, the next big event for Japan will be the ACC bundle + FFXIII demo for PS3. I think that will be a pretty huge week for the PS3, it'll be funny because we'll see a huge hardware bump with possible no PS3 games on the gaming charts at all. :lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well I stand corrected. I could have sworn that at least Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey got the #1 spot for a week at least. Where are you all getting your data for older weeks, anyway?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hrmm.... Well it looks like Ace Combat 6 was #2 the week it came out. I guess it went up against Super Mario Galaxy. I could have sworn these games did a lot better, but it appears I am completely wrong. It appears that Halo 3 may be the only Xbox 360 game to have taken the #1 spot on Media Create. Even still it barely beat out some Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon game that had already been out for a couple of weeks.

Top Bottom