• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 07/28 - 08/03

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for the numbers everyone! :)

If there were sold 10.000 Tales of Vesperia Xbox 360 bundles in the first day i think its a safe bet to say that the Xbox 360 will outsell the PS3 next week.

manzo

Spiegel said:
PS2 Tales were from 350k to 762k

If it ends at 170k that's not bad for a 360 game but bad for a mainline console Tales. But that was expected

My bad, I read the chart a bit wrong; around 400-900k for a mainline Tales game.

Tales charts

Rock_Man

adamma666 said:
well, Blue Dragon was released 12/07/06 in japan, so that could explain it.

How does that explain it? It was released in 2006 so the total number from the end of 2007 cover ~100% of the sales. Sales in 2007 only were 29,119.

adamma666

Rock_Man said:
How does that explain it? It was released in 2006 so the total number from the end of 2007 cover ~100% of the sales. Sales in 2007 only were 29,119.

you wrote

"Media Create reports sales of 139,689 in the 2007 top 500 chart"

so I thought you forgot to factor in the 2006 sales.

So let me ask everyone a question here:

If we assume the base 360 with a memory card will cost 20,000 Yen in Japan (soon enough) - and the 360 software line-up includes - Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Final Fantasy 11, Phantasy Star Online, Star Ocean, the next Mistwalker project, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and I'm guessing eventually Final Fantasy XIII (even if they say it's not coming to 360 in Japan atm) - will this do anything to improve the fortunes of the 360 in Japan?

Last-gen PS2 exclusives like Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, etc. are now on the 360 as well (in the case of Ace Combat, exclusively for the time being) - many of the RPGs I mentioned above are exclusive or timed-exclusives

It seems like they addressed every weakness they had last generation - Microsoft should be commended for the great strives they have made in developing software relationships

Yet sadly the 360 is performing worse than the original Xbox in Japan(EDIT: this is untrue, sorry for mistating it - the 360 was weak coming out of the gate compared to the original but has caught up and exceeded it, good work MS)

Is it just an issue of a weak reception to HD consoles in Japan - or is MS dropping the ball elsewhere? I read duckroll's comments on poor marketing - but surely it has to be more than just marketing? There are millions of enthusiast gamers that read Famitsu and follow new games online - are we saying that only a few hundred thousand of figured out the incredible Japanese-centric line-up arriving to the 360 in the next few months?

Am I the only one who is surprised the 360 isn't doing better?

manzo

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
Is it just an issue of a weak reception to HD consoles in Japan - or is MS dropping the ball elsewhere?

Am I the only one who is surprised the 360 isn't even tracking with the original Xbox (or at least I thought that was te case)?

Like duckroll said, shitty marketing and dead brand won't help the 360 in Japan. :/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Awesome awesome ToV sales! :D

Hopefully it reaches at least 100k by the end of the week.

Awesome FE sales too.

manzo said:
Like duckroll said, shitty marketing and dead brand won't help the 360 in Japan. :/
Yeah I read duckroll's comments right as you were replying (that's why I went back and edited my post before reading your post)

It just seems strange to me - there has to be more to it than just marketing right? I mean, are we assuming out of the millions of PS2 owners in the market - none use the internet, none read video games magazines and none have any clue what the 360 has in-store for the Japanese market?

Hammer24

Banned
tehrik-e-insaaf said:
Am I the only one who is surprised the 360 isn't even tracking with the original Xbox (or at least I thought that was te case)?

Wait - hasn´t the 360 already passed the XBOX LTD?

Hammer24

Banned
The Innocent X said:
Someone use josh's site to do a graph. I think 360 has already sold 20% more than the LTD of the Xbox on Famitsu numbers.

Thx for the confirmation. I was under the impression, the 360 is gonna end up with double the installed base than the XBOX.

Neomoto

Awesome numbers for Fire Emblem. Between this and Rhythm Tengoku Gold I can't help but cheer for the awesome taste of Japanese handheld gamers ;-) I wonder if the commercials have done anything to bring in new players into Fire Emblem, I've seen only one but you could tell it was aimed at both audiences. Or maybe online features had something to do with it too (or both). I just hope it won't drop off quickly, when it gets here I'll definitely get it.

manzo said:
Vesperia is doing good for a 360 software.

From 2ch GEHA:

Blue Dragon sold 82.286 on the first week, 203.740 lifetime
Lost Odyssey sold 60.376 on the first week, 108.269 lifetime

Tales sold ~70.000 on the first DAY, so I expect it to have around 170.000 lifetime sales.

Still, that's about half what the PS2 Tales games sold, them doing from 250k to 330k.

170k LTD is highly unlikely. XB360 games are usually very front loaded. I expect this one to be even more front loaded than the norm. 80-90k first week, 120k LTD max I would guess.

botticus

Great start for FE, can't really say much bad about Vesperia numbers. I'll expect a pretty significant drop-off for both through the rest of the week, though.

apujanata

duckroll said:
It'll be interesting to see if the game being a remake will help or hinder sales. I'm actually rather pessimistic about that because the Fire Emblem fanbase tends to be more hardcore and some of them might be less interested in a game they played before.

I played FE3 SNES before, but I will still buy FEDS. Of course, I couldn't read Japanese, so I am estatic about playing it in English for the first time. Since the game was quite a long time ago (I played it in 1989, IIRC), I don't think there will be lots of people who remember it (and it helps that DS game are much cheaper than Wii games, especially for remake / port).

BTW, nice first day sales of FEDS.

RpgN

Go go fire emblem!

TOV, not sure about that. For an xbox 360 game it's doing very good though. 130k lifetime sounds possible.

Manzo, I think it was 120k? Not sure.

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
Imagine how wii owners feel about dragon quest swords, wii play, and wii fit.

Ecstatic. I know I really like the last two. Haven't played DQ:Swords, but it shows that Square-Enix hasn't completely forgotten the Wii, yet. :lol

Replicant said:
Notice how there's a missing number 14? I think there's a mistake there. Siren is number 12 and those that are in 12 and 13 should be in 13 and 14.

No mistake. The leaked Famitsu numbers always leave out 1 or more games.

Great numbers for Tales of Versperia. It could eventually get close to Blue Dragon, if it even has typical jRPG legs. It's too bad the bundle is truncated in supply so much, though. I think the whole bundle shipment was 10K, right?

FEDS. :D

FE DS will do well. Marth is pretty much Fire Emblem there, so I imagine it'll sell >250k.

ToV did damn well for a 360 game. I hope it does good enough outside Japan.

Durante

Pureauthor said:
Thanks. ToV sales look even more 'enh', then.
Wait, it sells more (1st day) on 360 in Japan than the last 2 Tales games that were released on what is the most popular gaming platform ever there -- and that's 'enh'? I'm confused.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Durante said:
Wait, it sells more (1st day) on 360 in Japan than the last 2 Tales games that were released on what is the most popular gaming platform ever there -- and that's 'enh'? I'm confused.
As an interesting aside, I went to a store today and saw no note of Vesperia's existence. To be truthful, I had no idea it was out.
They did have a nice looking display of some PS2 dating sim, though.

Aeris130

Durante said:

Dunno if there are different trackers, but Tempest and Innocence both show higher first week sales than 70k. Or I could just be reading this wrong.

FrankT

tehrik-e-insaaf said:
So let me ask everyone a question here:

If we assume the base 360 with a memory card will cost 20,000 Yen in Japan (soon enough) - and the 360 software line-up includes - Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Final Fantasy 11, Phantasy Star Online, Star Ocean, the next Mistwalker project, Infinite Undiscovery, The Last Remnant, and I'm guessing eventually Final Fantasy XIII (even if they say it's not coming to 360 in Japan atm) - will this do anything to improve the fortunes of the 360 in Japan?

Last-gen PS2 exclusives like Ace Combat, Ridge Racer, etc. are now on the 360 as well (in the case of Ace Combat, exclusively for the time being) - many of the RPGs I mentioned above are exclusive or timed-exclusives

It seems like they addressed every weakness they had last generation - Microsoft should be commended for the great strives they have made in developing software relationships

Yet sadly the 360 is performing worse than the original Xbox in Japan

Is it just an issue of a weak reception to HD consoles in Japan - or is MS dropping the ball elsewhere? I read duckroll's comments on poor marketing - but surely it has to be more than just marketing? There are millions of enthusiast gamers that read Famitsu and follow new games online - are we saying that only a few hundred thousand of figured out the incredible Japanese-centric line-up arriving to the 360 in the next few months?

Not even close to the case. 360 passed the original a good while ago.

test_account said:
Thanks for the numbers everyone! :)

If there were sold 10.000 Tales of Vesperia Xbox 360 bundles in the first day i think its a safe bet to say that the Xbox 360 will outsell the PS3 next week.

Nvm, yea I see the number, yup no doubt streams will cross next weekl.

Durante said:

Yeah, I missed the '10,000 bundles' part, so I thought it was 70K.

That aside, it being 'on the 360 in Japan' doesn't really excuse poor performance. Lousy sales is lousy sales, whether it's on the DS, the 360, or the Phantom. It performed about as well as could be realistically expected, but...

Whoops - thank you for those you rightfully pointed out my incorrect statement about 360 sales in Japan!

I was relying on past data where I remember seeing that the Xbox initially performed much better and 360 was slow to get out of the gate - I didn't realize 360 had caught up and, indeed, surpassed the original Xbox, already - which is very impressive given that people had termed the console DOA given it didn't even sell as well as the original Xbox in the opening week

Anyways, regardless of whether it's a few hundred thousand higher or not - my opinion is that with the line-up - the 360 should be selling at least in-line with how the Sega Genesis or PC Engine sold in Japan (though probably better). Yet sadly it isn't the case.

Besides marketing, what more can MS do? Or is it just an issue of Japanese market not caring for PS3/360 consoles?

IMHO - this upcoming Holiday seasons is when MS has the best chance to make big in-roads, especially if they drop the price to 20,000 yen and their marquee jRPG titles come out - but for some reason I'm just not sure it's gonna make a difference despite all those great games I mentioned

Paracelsus

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, I missed the '10,000 bundles' part, so I thought it was 70K.

That aside, it being 'on the 360 in Japan' doesn't really excuse poor performance. Lousy sales is lousy sales, whether it's on the DS, the 360, or the Phantom. It performed about as well as could be realistically expected, but...

So, assuming Vesperia manages to reach the 150-200k range, we are pretty much safe on saying that the Japanese Tales fanbase has halved?

I mean, we got already three titles in two years reaching these sales, we just need a main Tales title as the absolute confirmation.

I'd like to know the reason why.

botticus

Case said:
I think that would be Innocence.

I'd imagine the same franchise whoring that resulted in Tempest poisoning the pool on the DS is generally responsible for the series downturn as a whole.

Top Bottom