• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 08/18 - 08/24

Vinnk

PantherLotus said:
It provided a personal insight into the Japanese world that cold hard numbers can so often overlook. It may not be valuable to everybody, but it is appreciated by some. For me, I never really cared "game x was sold out here, here, and here," but I loved the comments about what people were doing, what was being advertised, and the general mentality of the people around you. We need more of that.

THAT I can do. It was getting the numbers that took forever.

Jonnyram

Segata Sanshiro said:
This is going to be an awfully dead thread this week.
Far from it. You are forgetting the fact that Afrika, Captain Rainbow and Tofu Man will be in the first day sales today. Tears expected all round.

jesusraz

Vinnk said:
It would be interesting to know thoughts about why Fire Emblem has dropped. Could it just be higher demand than expected causing a shortage...or something more sinister?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Vinnk: as long as you provide some sort of warning (not that it wouldn't be obvious) that what you're saying is anecdotal, observation, and conjecture, I think it is extremely valuable and look forward to it.

rostocker:
looks like i missed on the upload but i still had the thumbnail. i did add it to the site, but for the troubles i'll load the big version:

apujanata

Vinnk said:

After you got married, will / did your wife get upset that you spent time doing the # collection ? (IIRC, it take at least one hour to go to those stores, and probably 30 - 60 minutes to write the article itself, which bring us to 2 hour/week, time that are spent away from your beloved one / spouse)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Osuwari said:
true. SMRPG robbing famicom mini SMB confirmed.

Yoshi's Island DS doesn't belong there either since that's a Yoshi game basically. it would be like putting DK and Wario games there.
Yoshi's Island DS is fitting imo, as it's the direct succcessor of a Mario mainline game. But the number is totally off, as Yoshis Island DS broke a million according to Media Create in 2007 and I highly doubt Famitsu is more than 100k units behind - or are they?

Hammer24

Banned
Vinnk said:
My report? People still care?

Uhm, YES?!

I could do one again if something interesting is coming up. It's just lately everything seems to have settled, and I don't think it would be interesting enough.

I´d love to read one when the 360 will be restocked.
Will it get ignored? Still picked up? Seems like the only unclear and interesting development on the japanes market right now.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
PantherLotus said:
It already is man. We're usually on page 6-7 before hardware comes out. Wanna cut our losses and forget the charts?

I'm late, but the person married to the woman in you avatar had much more attention within the past 24 hours.

Raggy

Banned
for the 5th week in a row, PS3 2008 sales are lover than PS3 2007 sales.
I guess 2008 aint PS3s biggest year ever after all :p

Seeing the sales for the rest of the year for PS3 2007, it will hardly match that...

jesusraz

Fire Emblem doesn't even make the 31-50 section of the chart! Hopefully Nintendo re-stocks it asap and it bounces back into the Top 10.

31.) Ko Mame Goma 2: My Name is Van! (NDS, TDK)
32.) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 15 (Wii, Konami)
33.) Animal Crossing Wild World (NDS, Nintendo)
34.) Persona 4 (PS2, Atlus)
35.) Killer Queen (PS2, Yeti)
36.) Pac-Pix (Limited Edition) (NDS, Namco Bandai)
37.) Fatal Frame IV (Wii, Nintendo)
38.) Crazy Taxi Double Punch (PSP, SEGA)
39.) Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, Nintendo)
40.) Puyo Puyo! (Special Price) (NDS, SEGA)
41.) Pokémon Diamond (NDS, The Pokémon Company)
42.) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3, Konami)
43.) Mario Party DS (NDS, Nintendo)
44.) Monster Farm DS 2 (NDS, Tecmo)
45.) Kirarin Revolution (NDS, Konami)
46.) Life on a Deserted Island (NDS, Namco Bandai)
47.) More Brain Training (NDS, Nintendo)
48.) The Great Yokai Battleground (NDS, Namco Bandai)
49.) Taiko no Tatsujin (NDS, Namco Bandai)
50.) Pet Shop Story (NDS, Taito)

Vinnk

apujanata said:
After you got married, will / did your wife get upset that you spent time doing the # collection ? (IIRC, it take at least one hour to go to those stores, and probably 30 - 60 minutes to write the article itself, which bring us to 2 hour/week, time that are spent away from your beloved one / spouse)

Not so much. I usually did it on thursdays and she works almost every thursday evening, so there was no problem. But I would put that time in and only see 1 or 2 comments about it and I just assumed it wasn't so interesting anymore.

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:
Umm, Fire Emblem is #28.

26. [Wii] Family Trainer
27. [Wii] Wii Play
28. [NDS] Summon Night 2
29. [NDS] Legendary Stafy: Confrontation!
30. [Wii] Mario Superstar Baseball
Is there a mistake in the OP then?

EDIT: To clarify, yes there is a mistake in the OP. As it says on m-create.com:

28 DS Fire dragon new dark and light sword SLG 任天堂 Nintendo 080807 4,800円 4,800 yen

EDIT #2: Just in case people want the full Top 50 in one place, with the FEDS correction included:

1.) J-League Winning Eleven 2008 (PS2, Konami) 79,375 | NEW
2.) Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS, Nintendo) 56,552 | 536,000
3.) Inazuma Eleven (NDS, Level 5) 41,474 | NEW
4.) Dragon Quest V (NDS, Square Enix) 32,496 | 1,125,000
5.) Phantasy Star Portable (PSP, SEGA) 31,414 | 595,000
6.) Wii Fit (Wii, Nintendo) 30,096 | 2,546,000
7.) Harukanaru Toki no Naka (NDS, KOEI) 25,549 | NEW
8.) Sigma Harmonics (NDS, Square Enix) 23,076 | NEW
9.) Mario Kart Wii (Wii, Nintendo) 19,450 | 1,711,000
10.) Daigasso! Band Brothers DX (NDS, Nintendo) 15,605 | 296,000
11.) Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho (NDS, Marvelous)
12.) Taiko no Tatsujin 2 (NDS, Namco Bandai)
13.) Powerful Pro Baseball 15 (PS2, Konami)
14.) Monster Hunter 2nd G (PSP, Capcom)
15.) Wii Sports (Wii, Nintendo)
16.) Memmories 6 T-Wave (PS2, 5pb)
17.) Wario Land: The Shake Dimension (Wii, Nintendo)
18.) Beautiful Letter Training (NDS, NintendO)
19.) Powerful Pro Portable 3 (PSP, Konami)
20.) We're Fossil Diggers (NDS, Nintendo)
21.) Tales of Vesperia (360, Namco Bandai)
22.) Mario Kart DS (NDS, Nintendo)
23.) Gundam Battle Universe (PSP, Namco Bandai)
24.) Soul Calibur IV (PS3, Namco Bandai)
25.) New Super Mario Bros. (NDS, Nintendo)
26.) Family Trainer (Wii, Namco Bandai)
27.) Wii Play (Wii, Nintendo)
28.) Fire Emblem DS (NDS, Nintendo)
29.) Densetsu no Stafy (NDS, Nintendo)
30.) Super Mario Stadium: Family Baseball (Wii, Nintendo)
31.) Ko Mame Goma 2: My Name is Van! (NDS, TDK)
32.) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 15 (Wii, Konami)
33.) Animal Crossing Wild World (NDS, Nintendo)
34.) Persona 4 (PS2, Atlus)
35.) Killer Queen (PS2, Yeti)
36.) Pac-Pix (Limited Edition) (NDS, Namco Bandai)
37.) Fatal Frame IV (Wii, Nintendo)
38.) Crazy Taxi Double Punch (PSP, SEGA)
39.) Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, Nintendo)
40.) Puyo Puyo! (Special Price) (NDS, SEGA)
41.) Pokémon Diamond (NDS, The Pokémon Company)
42.) Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (PS3, Konami)
43.) Mario Party DS (NDS, Nintendo)
44.) Monster Farm DS 2 (NDS, Tecmo)
45.) Kirarin Revolution (NDS, Konami)
46.) Life on a Deserted Island (NDS, Namco Bandai)
47.) More Brain Training (NDS, Nintendo)
48.) The Great Yokai Battleground (NDS, Namco Bandai)
49.) Taiko no Tatsujin (NDS, Namco Bandai)
50.) Pet Shop Story (NDS, Taito)

Nocebo

Vinnk said:
Not so much. I usually did it on thursdays and she works almost every thursday evening, so there was no problem. But I would put that time in and only see 1 or 2 comments about it and I just assumed it wasn't so interesting anymore.
I know I always enjoyed reading your reports even though I never said anything. Same goes for the excellent graphs etc.
To me the anecdotal reports gave MC threads a little personality.

Tenbatsu

Nocebo said:
I know I always enjoyed reading your reports even though I never said anything. Same goes for the excellent graphs etc.
I enjoyed reading them too:(

test_account

XP-39C²
Nocebo said:
Tenbatsu said:
I enjoyed reading them too:(
Same here, i also enjoy readinging Vinnk's Village Report and the graphs that are being posted here, but i dont comment om them that much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Edit: Vinnk, to be perfectly honest, I think that the weekly Vinnk's village is probably less important now that hardware is no longer supply constrained and this gen has settled into a bit of a holding pattern, but periodic reports on new software would be interesting.

For example, Nanashi no Game dropped off the charts and according to Wired is difficult to find in Tokyo and no one expects a reprint. What gives? rk told me there are "tons of copies" where he's at. What about you? --or more recently, the 360, and Nintendo's latest round of DS games.

Basically I think the best part of your anecdotes was getting that little nugget of info about games and systems that were supply constrained, so I'd love to see a Vinnk's village whenever there are rumblings about an interesting title being sold out or hard to find.

HK-47 said:
Why is SMRPG on the chart but Paper Mario not? Shouldnt it just be platformers?

Paper Mario would be there, but it didn't sell enough. It sold less than all of the "also-ran" Mario games listed above the main graph. I'd also be willing to include PM:TTYD or SPM or M&L or M&L2. None of them broke 500k.

All games that are there should be there IMO and the only game that should be there and isn't is Yoshi's Island SNES, which I understand sold ~1.7 million. When I update the graph to remove all the the-magicbox numbers for pre-GBA systems, I'll hopefully be able to get an exact figure and get Yoshi a place on the chart.

Here´s the updated All-Time Top50 [Famitsu]:

Rank / System / Title / First week / LTD / Publisher / Numbers till
2lnx1ma.png

And the All-Time Top10 Publishers:

Total number of games: 4.321
Total number of units: 781.433.045
Average: 180.845

Number of games / Publisher / Units total / Average / Total market share
Code:
387x Nintendo		263.356.651		680.508		33,70%
459x Konami		 59.413.636		129.441		 7,60%
 76x Square		 51.037.335		671.544		 6,53%
240x Capcom		 47.535.398		198.064		 6,08%
214x SCE		 42.350.683		197.900		 5,42%
 44x Enix		 34.755.778		789.904		 4,45%
208x Bandai		 34.178.084		164.318		 4,37%
303x Sega		 34.164.560		112.754		 4,37%
136x Namco		 29.862.953		219.581		 3,82%
 96x Square Enix	 28.382.619		295.652		 3,63%

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
^ that is absolutely flooring. If there was no Nintendo or Square Enix (ever) the best selling game of all time would be...Street Fighter 2??!!

also: op updated with correct top 50 but will need to reformat when i get to work.

vinnk: post your deal and i'll make sure it gets in the op every week so it's easy to find.

Spiegel

creamsugar said:
1st day:

Captain Rainbow - 4.3k
Afrika - 20k
Too Human - 6.5k

Afrika bombed (as expected) but considering that Endless Ocean did 17k first week (47k LTD) it doesn't seems so bad.

Full set...

PS3 Afrika - 20.000
PSP Fate Tiger Colosseum Upper - Eh...not sure, 20k? (last year entry did 40k)
PS3 Battlefield Bad Company - 11.000
360 Too Human - 6.500
WII Captain Rainbow - 4.300
360 Clannad - 3.800

sinobi comments that Afrika actually has sold better than expectations and some shops (plus amazon) seem to be running out of stock. He says Captain Rainbow numbers are expected, and he is surprised at Clannad 360 numbers because PSP edition sold 20k in May.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for the first day numbers, creamsugar and Kurosaki Ichigo! :)

I thought Afrika would do like 10k or so the first day (my thoughts on this wasnt really based on much previous data or anything, i just thought this type of game wouldnt sell so good for some reason), and that Captain Rainbow would do better, maybe like 20k or so. Isnt Captain Rainbow a first party Nintendo title?

test_account said:
I thought Afrika would do like 10k or so the first day (my thoughts on this wasnt really based on much previous data or anything, i just thought this type of game wouldnt sell so good for some reason)

It's been pretty hyped for a while, so 10k first day would have been pretty disappointing.

and that Captain Rainbow would do better, maybe like 20k or so. Isnt Captain Rainbow a first party Nintendo title?

No, it's by Skip & published by Nintendo. It seems to be a twisted loveletter to obscure Nintendo characters with pretty limited appeal, so that kind of first-day figure was hardly unexpected.

test_account

XP-39C²
Cosmonaut X said:
It's been pretty hyped for a while, so 10k first day would have been pretty disappointing.
I know there was some hype around when Afrika first was announced, but lately i havnt seen that much hype. I'm not saying there havnt been any hype around the game lately though, but personally i cant recall to have seen too much hype around the game lately.

Cosmonaut X said:
No, it's by Skip & published by Nintendo. It seems to be a twisted loveletter to obscure Nintendo characters with pretty limited appeal, so that kind of first-day figure was hardly unexpected.
Ah ok, so its only published by Nintendo. I mean i've read something about that game and Nintendo in the same context, so i thought it had something to do with Nintendo atleast. Thanks for the info! :)

Jokeropia

Durante said:
Wow, MHP2G is the second highest placed non-Nintendo/S-E game ever.
Making it #37 overall. :p It's insane to which degree the domination from Nintendo and to a lesser extent SE reaches.

Jonnyram

test_account said:
Ah ok, so its only published by Nintendo. I mean i've read something about that game and Nintendo in the same context, so i thought it had something to do with Nintendo atleast. Thanks for the info! :)
Well, it's not only published by Nintendo - most of the characters in the game are Nintendo characters too. But the point is that they are b-list Nintendo characters, and sales expectations should be set accordingly. Also, it'll probably keep selling over the weekend. Maybe 10k for the first week is doable?

test_account said:
I know there was some hype around when Afrika first was announced, but lately i havnt seen that much hype. I'm not saying there havnt been any hype around the game lately though, but personally i cant recall to have seen too much hype around the game lately.

Perhaps "hyped" is too strong a word, but it's not been running completely silent.

Vinnk

PantherLotus said:
vinnk: post your deal and i'll make sure it gets in the op every week so it's easy to find.

Ok, I will start in 2 weeks. I am off to the United States to visit my family. When I return I will start giving reports from "the village".

and..

Captain Rainbow :(

Top Bottom