• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/15 - 10/21 2007

sakuragi said:
But it is closing the gap if you factor the price. The PS3's price has yet to reach mass market level ($ -299), so its catering to a lesser audience than say the consumers that are currently buying Wiis. Once the price of both console reach mass market level, thee differences in value will be much more of a deciding factor in the consumers eyes than their price tag.
Wii: cheap, appealing software = good value
PS3: cheap, non-appealing software = shit value (look up Gamecube)

The price of the PS3 in Japan isn't that big, it's the cheapest of all 3 major markets.

Dante said:
:lol Now i remember why I stay out of these threads. Is that why the big third party games keep coming to 360/Ps3?

Like MH3?

Dante

Xeke said:
By that time who is going to want a PS3? It'll be behind so far in sales that there wont really be a point. It has achieved GameCube status this generation.

:lol Now i remember why I stay out of these threads. Is that why the big third party games keep coming to 360/Ps3?

Linkup

Dante said:
You really don't have to beat the competition to still be successful

Case in point: PSP.

I mean is it really that threatening to you guys for the PS3 to have some userbase?

That's a very bad case in point to use

mepaco

Dante said:

I mean is it really that threatening to you guys for the PS3 to have some userbase?

The conversation was about whether or not it is or would be closing the gap, not whether or not it would be successful.

Dante

Xeke said:
By that time who is going to want a PS3? It'll be behind so far in sales that there wont really be a point. It has achieved GameCube status this generation.

No, it's annoying when you make silly arguments that are without merit.

:lol what silly argument that the weekly gap has gotten smaller as of late?

sakuragi

Banned
DeadyFernGarden said:
A gap is still a gap no matter how small it is. Especially when you are well behind.

Its true that a gap is a gap no matter how small it is, but if you're looking at the big picture, in 4 years time for example, The Wii will be lets say 15 million in Japan and maybe the PS3 will be 12 million. When looking at those numbers, 2 or 3 million difference is considered small and very good for Sony considering the difference in price between the consoles and that is why Sony need to close that gap as much as possible for the sake of its future.

Thunder Monkey said:
Yep, but hey, it might actually sell.
Dunno, NoE is doing a great job in making MP3 not reach its sales potential. And they didn't show much effort to promote Trauma Center (except in the UK). I can't have too much faith in what NoE is doing right now, even though they are advertising games like Wii Sports or Bain Training very frequently.

Dante said:

The PS3 is headed for sub-GCN level install base.

Japanese developers tend to support en masse the frontrunner. The PS3 will get token support if only because of it's extremely lackluster start. It took a near year before the Wii dropped to lackluster.

Sony won't have the support they once did, but there will be good games on the PS3. The GCN was in the end a worthwhile console to own, even though it garnered such limited support at large.

Dante

Thunder Monkey said:
The PS3 is headed for sub-GCN level install base.

Japanese developers tend to support en masse the frontrunner. The PS3 will get token support if only because of it's extremely lackluster start. It took a near year before the Wii dropped to lackluster.

Sony won't have the support they once did, but there will be good games on the PS3. The GCN was in the end a worthwhile console to own, even though it garnered such limited support at large.

well I don't own any stock in either company so as long as I have good games to play, and as of late I've had some pretty compelling software in the PSP.

And 360 is PS3's best friend right now in terms of third party port support.

Xeke

Banned
Dante said:
:lol what silly argument that the weekly gap has gotten smaller as of late?

Because you're failing to acknowledge that that gap will be much larger in 2 weeks time. Because you're just arguing what is going on right now and what is obviously going to happen is a very short period of time.

Now i remember why I stay out of these threads. Is that why the big third party games keep coming to 360/Ps3?

They're getting announced for the 360 and the PS3 gets the shitty afterthought port of it a few months later.

But barring the big Japanese games like MGS and FF that were announced for the PS3 before it started shitting up the sales charts, the Wii will start getting the big japanese game announcements. MH3 being the first.

Its true that a gap is a gap no matter how small it is, but if you're looking at the big picture, in 4 years time for example, The Wii will be lets say 15 million in Japan and maybe the PS3 will be 12 million. When looking at those numbers, 2 or 3 million difference is considered small and very good for Sony considering the difference in price between the consoles and that is why Sony need to close that gap as much as possible for the sake of its future.

The PS3 will be nowhere near 12 million. It wont pass 5 million.

Dante said:
well I don't own any stock in either company so as long as I have good games to play, and as of late I've had some pretty compelling software in the PSP.

That's fine and dandy, but this is a sales thread, not the PSP software appreciation thread.

mind_the_gap%20logo.jpg

ethelred

I love how sakuragi expresses frustration and confusion and questions the relevance as to why someone would bring up what the Wii's sales increase will be in two weeks, all the while trumpeting what the PS3's sales increase will be in two years.

BUT THE PS3 IS CLOSING THE GAP IF YOU FACTOR IN BUNNIES AND UNICORNS

Dante

Xeke said:
Because you're failing to acknowledge that that gap will be much larger in 2 weeks time. Because you're just arguing what is going on right now and what is obviously going to happen is a very short period of time.

They're getting announced for the 360 and the PS3 gets the shitty afterthought port of it a few months later.

The PS3 will be nowhere near 12 million. It wont pass 5 million.

Please please quote where I argued that.

Xeke

Banned
test_account said:
What do you mean with "that time"?

When the PS3 will be $200.

Please please quote where I argued that.

You never said it directly but you talk about the current sales gap as if it's going to be some sort of norm and wont end very shortly. The gap right now doesn't matter if you look into the very near future.

Dante

Xeke said:
When the PS3 will be $200.

You never said it directly but you talk about the current sales gap as if it's going to be some sort of norm and wont end very shortly. The gap right now doesn't matter if you look into the very near future.

So your pretty much just assuming what I'm thinking and not typing? Ok gotcha.

Dante said:

Oops didn't know you quoted me. I didn't say it won't be successful. The guy posted a bunch of nonsense and I replied. But yes to go from market leader to a distant second is a failure in my opinion, if things don't change.

Xeke

Banned
Dante said:
So your pretty much just assuming what I'm thinking and not typing? Ok gotcha.

Woah, when did Wii and PS3 numbers get so close?

Can't wait to see what PS3 does after Final Fantasy and price drop.

Final Fantasy wont be out for years and we already saw the effects of a price drop in the US, why expect much more?

All the same, that gap has gotten sizeably smaller.

And you know it'll be back to a huge gap in 2 weeks.

yup that the one, used to be waaaaay larger, now not so much :)

Again, in 2 weeks it'll be larger than ever before.

Ok, but why wouldnt people want it then? Must be a good time to get it when its that cheap.

The same reason that people didn't buy the GC at $99.

Dante said:

As already said, limited userbase means that every game has reduced potential to sell decently. In particular: small games will probably have a little benefice, because PS3's owners are very hardcore and since now there are not so much to buy on PS3, every "good small game" will sell decently.

If you have nothing big, you're happy with small things.

But big games will suffer tremendously, because the userbase is a BIG limit and the attach rate has limits either. You cannot pretend to have an installed base of less then 1.5 millions and see FF XIII sell more then 1 million (and for a FF it is just a ridicoulous score).
That's why BIG games have high probabilities to become multi-platforms.

The problem with PSP is always the same: good (recently very good) hardware's sales and poor (or not enough good) software's sales. One thing: it is ALL Sony's fault, to not have backed enough a handheld with great potenatial. PSP Slim gave a amazing boost, but FF VII failed to reach a million and now PSP is going ahead "thanks to the recent boost and the wind !".
In other words, the fuel is finished: Sony used ALL of it to make this spectacular boost and now almost nothing remains. And this "almost" is not for the short term.

The handheld seems to be able to keep its hardware' sales (~50-60k), but, again, for how much ? And software is always what matters more then all.

We'll see. PSP's future is one of my biggest unanswered question, because it looks bright and bad at the same time and I don't really know if the former or the latter will prevail.

PS3 is another story: until now a failure. Possibilities to gain momentum: always less and less. Too much time passed and there aren't enough exclusivities and the few that will come are each one very distant in shipping times.

Again, it is the syndrome N64, but with bad software's sales in comparison. Sony has not the grip that Nintendo has with its titles on its consoles. And this Sony should have thought about too.

test_account said:
Ok, but why wouldnt people want it then? Must be a good time to get it when its that cheap.
By then the stigma will have stuck.

I'm thinking it might already have. No matter the price of the PS3 it will always be viewed as "too much" because of the initial sticker shock. Just as seeing the GCN for the first time instilled a "Fisher-Price" stigma in the market.

Dante

BishopLamont said:
Oops didn't know you quoted me. I didn't say it won't be successful. The guy posted a bunch of nonsense and I replied.

Well I haven't been following as closely as you guys I admit, I mainly came in here to see how the niche Eye of Judgement could have been doing, just to tickle my own curiosity, and was a little shocked at how much closer the Wii and PS3, I should have known typing that would have gotten me sucked into some sales argument. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
Thunder Monkey said:
By then the stigma will have stuck.

I'm thinking it might already have. No matter the price of the PS3 it will always be viewed as "too much" because of the initial sticker shock. Just as seeing the GCN for the first time instilled a "Fisher-Price" stigma in the market.

Some people might have the "omg expencive!" thought in their mind no matter what the pricetag is, but not people in general. They will see i.e $299 as $299. When its comming down to a price like that its basicly up to the games.

Xeke

Banned
test_account said:
Someone might have the "omg expencive" thought in their mind no matter what the pricetag is, but not people in general. They will see i.e $299 as $299. When its comming down to a price like that its basicly up to the games.

Then why didn't a $99 GameCube sell? Why does the PSP still "have no games" even though it does?

Stigma sticks.

Dante

Xeke said:
Final Fantasy wont be out for years and we already saw the effects of a price drop in the US, why expect much more?

And you know it'll be back to a huge gap in 2 weeks.

Again, in 2 weeks it'll be larger than ever before.

The same reason that people didn't buy the GC at $99.

That last quote isn't mine, and again when did I say or suggest Mario Galaxy wouldn't move a lot of Wii's?

All I did was comment on this weeks numbers. which are a lot closer then they have been in the past. Fact or Fiction?

Oh and I get that the gap will be larger in two weeks, you don't need to mention that again :)

Xeke

Banned
Dante said:
That last quote isn't mine, and again when did I say or suggest Mario Galaxy wouldn't move a lot of Wii's?

All I did was comment on this weeks numbers. which are a lot closer then they have been in the past. Fact or Fiction?

Fact. They are much closer. But the point is that it is insignificant in the overall picture because that will not be the norm.

Yeah the last one isn't you but I wanted to answer that in the same post as opposed to making 2 posts.

Dante said:
Well I haven't been following as closely as you guys I admit, I mainly came in here to see how the niche Eye of Judgement could have been doing, just to tickle my own curiosity, and was a little shocked at how much closer the Wii and PS3, I should have known typing that would have gotten me sucked into some sales argument. :lol

Arguments in a sales thread, you honestly didn't see it coming?

sakuragi

Banned
ethelred said:
I love how sakuragi expresses frustration and confusion and questions the relevance as to why someone would bring up what the Wii's sales increase will be in two weeks, all the while trumpeting what the PS3's sales increase will be in two years.

BUT THE PS3 IS CLOSING THE GAP IF YOU FACTOR IN BUNNIES AND UNICORNS

But But, My crystal balls is better than yours. It takes price into consideration while yours takes Wii fit and fad into account. Sorry but isnt Bunnies and unicorns is what Nintendo does best :lol

Dante

Xeke said:
Fact. They are much closer. But the point is that it is insignificant in the overall picture because that will not be the norm.

Yeah the last one isn't you but I wanted to answer that in the same post as opposed to making 2 posts.

PutANameHere said:

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:
Then why didn't a $99 GameCube sell? Why does the PSP still "have no games" even though it does?

Stigma sticks.

I agree that people can think like that, but that would sux for them hehe :\ Altho you can draw lines between GC and PS3 and compare them, the fact is that PS3 isnt GC. The faith of the consoles can be totally different.

sakuragi said:
But But, My crystal balls is better than yours. It takes price into consideration while yours takes Wii fit and fad into account. Sorry but isnt Bunnies and unicorns is what Nintendo does best :lol

Oh man.... Until now I was almost sure you weren't a joke poster. It seems I was wrong.

Xeke

Banned
test_account said:
I agree that people can think like that, but that would sux for them hehe :\ Altho you can draw lines between GC and PS3 and compare them, the fact is that PS3 isnt GC. The faith of the consoles can be totally different.

You're right. It's currently selling worse than the GC.

Linkup

By the time the ps3 reaches $299 the mass market will already have two other systems that they could have gotten two years ago for cheaper. Unless you believe ps3 software is going to win over the casuals to buy a ps3 in addition to one of the other two, which is unlikely since the casuals typically only go for one system.

sakuragi said:

Did your crystal ball predict the Gamecube would sell gangbusters at $99?

sakuragi

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Oh man.... Until now I was almost sure you weren't a joke poster. I was wrong.

Hey, if you cant beat them, join them. I really tried my best not to joke but with the replys I get I couldn't help it :lol

womfalcs3

Banned
Xeke said:
You're right. It's currently selling worse than the GC.

The PS3 is a PS3. It won't follow any historical trend. It will be fine due to its special circumstances. It's an entirely different economical/manufacturing situation.

I don't understand all the hate in this thread.

I'm going to go watch some South Carolina vs. Tennessee with PS3 vs. Wii vs. X360 being the last thing on my mind.

sakuragi

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Did your crystal ball predict the Gamecube would sell gangbusters at $99?

No it didnt because comparing the gamecube to the PS3 is like comparing a shitty kids toy to a Ferrari. Everyone wants a Ferrari but they couldn't afford one unless its goes down. However, only kids want, you know, toys.

womfalcs3 said:
The PS3 is a PS3. It won't follow any historical trend. It will be fine due to its special circumstances. It's an entirely different economical/manufacturing situation.

I'm going to go watch some South Carolina vs. Tennessee with PS3 vs. Wii vs. X360 being the last thing on my mind.

PS3 wins the console special olympics.

sakuragi said:
No it didnt because comparing the gamecube to the PS3 is like comparing a shitty kids toy to a Ferrari. Everyone wants a Ferrari but they couldn't afford one unless its goes down. However, only kids want, you know, toys.

You mean an expensive toy Ferrari? They're both seen as toys to the public.

Xeke

Banned
test_account said:
I was thinking more of when the price is much cheaper. Isnt that what where talking about? :p

Yes. But there is no precedent for a console that isn't in 1st place, selling better latter in its life, even with price drops. There is no reason to assume that will happen here.

You're right and in the grand scheme of it all Ferrari's are some of the worst selling cars of all time.

Dante

womfalcs3 said:

Amen brotha, I'm off to play Ratchet :D

sakuragi

Banned
Xeke said:
Yes. But there is no precedent for a console that isn't in 1st place, selling better latter in its life, even with price drops. There is no reason to assume that will happen here.

You're right and in the grand scheme of it all Ferrari's are some of the worst selling cars of all time.

Except that the difference is that the PS3 is slowly closing the gap between its price and the Wii, since Sony is a hardware company which makes it much easier for them to do so than the competition.

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:

As said, you can draw lines betwen consoles and compare them like that. You can also predict that they will have the same outcome and you might be spot on, but the fact is that a console isnt the same as another console, in this case, GC and PS3. Time also changes things. How the situation was i.e 5 years ago might be completely different from how it is today or in 2-3 years. Anyway, its just predictions, no one knows for sure what will happend.

womfalcs3 said:

It's not freaking hate!

It's reality!

The PS3 had a $100 price drop in America in July, if September wasn't a five week month Sony would have fallen under the 100,000 unit mark in America again. Japan hasn't had a 100,000 unit month in a long time.

These kinds of thing damage future support! Especially when your main competitor was outselling you by 7:1 at one point and has a lead of over 2.4 million units now... still increasing.

I'm not hating on the PS3. If it was down around the $250 area I'd think about picking one up, but it's not. And these market realities should not be ignored. It will hurt the PS3, especially in Japan.

It will still get games, as the GCN did, so the purchase will be justified in the end.

sakuragi said:

I don't think you understood what "business" really means. It is all about money for Sony, for the industry and, in general, for every industry of the planet.

Sony is selling a console with loss for each unit. Software' sales are terrible. Hardware' sales are desastrous. There aren't enough exclusivities in the future and always more and more are becoming multi. The price is a limit for the consumer (that doesn't buy the console), for the retailer (who doesn't make money decently) and for the developer (who see less and less potenatil in the machine). In addition, the console if expensive and complicated to develop for and even if a developer has money and time, a good game requires lot of time and efforts, that then will not be rewarded decently because of the small userbase and because of the points cited above.

I don't see really how people can be optimist with this console...

Xeke

Banned
sakuragi said:
Except that the difference is that the PS3 is slowly closing the gap between its price and the Wii, since Sony is a hardware company which makes it much easier for them to do so than the competition.

Yeah it really seems like the price drop was a huge boost in NA this past summer.

Top Bottom