• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/15 - 10/21 2007

sakuragi said:
Except that the difference is that the PS3 is slowly closing the gap between its price and the Wii, since Sony is a hardware company which makes it much easier for them to do so than the competition.

What? Dropping the price on the Wii is as easy as pressing a button for Nintendo, they're profiting on each console. Sony is losing money on each console. So tell me how's it easier for Sony to drop their price?

test_account said:
As said, you can draw lines betwen consoles and compare them like that. You can also predict that they will have the same outcome and you might be spot on, but the fact is that a console isnt the same as another console, in this case, GC and PS3. Time also changes things. How the situation was i.e 5 years ago might be completely different from how it is today or in 2-3 years. Anyway, its just predictions, no one knows for sure what will happend.

Well sure nothing is set in stone, but a certain someone said the PS3 will be at 12M LTD in 4 years after doing a 1M in a year. Does that sound logical? There's predictions and there's blind faith.

Xeke

Banned
BishopLamont said:
What? Dropping the price on the Wii is as easy as pressing a button for Nintendo, they're profiting on each console. Sony is losing money on each console. So tell me how's it easier for Sony to drop their price?

They have unicorns.

Maybe people just don't want the PS3. Is that impossible...?

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I don't see really how people can be optimist with this console...

To be fair a lot of faith in the Playstation brand can be attributed to the success of the PS2, you cannot condemn the successor so quickly with that kind of history...

Xeke

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
To be fair a lot of faith in the Playstation brand can be attributed to the success PS2, you cannot condemn the successor so quickly with that kind of history...

What about the Walkman? Such a huge name and the no name, feature lite iPod came out of nowhere and took its market without any fight at all?

If the PS3 was anything like the PS2 they wouldn't be in this situation. The only things that it has in common with the PS2 are the controller and the name.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
test_account said:
I agree that people can think like that, but that would sux for them hehe :\ Altho you can draw lines between GC and PS3 and compare them, the fact is that PS3 isnt GC. The faith of the consoles can be totally different.

What does "the faith of the consoles" mean?

sakuragi said:
No it didnt because comparing the gamecube to the PS3 is like comparing a shitty kids toy to a Ferrari. Everyone wants a Ferrari but they couldn't afford one unless its goes down. However, only kids want, you know, toys.

I'm curious, would everybody want a Ferrari if they were cheap and affordable for everybody to buy? The biggest draw of the car is that it's a luxury car. It would lose any kind of elite status if everybody could get one.

Comparing the PS3 to a luxury car is silly because luxury cars stay expensive. Sony actually wants everybody to buy it.

test_account

XP-39C²
GreenGlowingGoo said:
What does "the faith of the consoles" mean?

In this case, the total numbers of consoles sold when its over/off the market so to speak and how the outcome will be in the near and distant feature.

sakuragi

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I don't think you understood what "business" really means. It is all about money for Sony, for the industry and, in general, for every industry of the planet.

Sony is selling a console with loss for each unit. Software' sales are terrible. Hardware' sales are desastrous. There aren't enough exclusivities in the future and always more and more are becoming multi. The price is a limit for the consumer (that doesn't buy the console), for the retailer (who doesn't make money decently) and for the developer (who see less and less potenatil in the machine). In addition, the console if expensive and complicated to develop for and even if a developer has money and time, a good game requires lot of time and efforts, that then will not be rewarded decently because of the points cited above.

I don't see really how people can be optimist with this console...

I don't know why people are saying the PS3's software is terrible. It has and will have most of Sony's first party developers support as the PS2 which in itself huge. Sony has the strongest first party in the gaming industry and they worth the console purchase alone. The PS3 also has most of the third party support than the Xbox 360 has so I dont see whats all this fuss about the PS3's software being terrible.

We are also forgetting that the PS3 hasn't even been in the market for a year and less than 8 months in Europe and yet selling at the same rate as the Xbox 360 except it was $200 more. All this doom and gloom is a bit premature as we have yet to see most of the games the PS3 has to offer because the console isnt even a year old. Heck, we have yet to see any of the killer apps like Metal gear solid 4, FF13, Gran turismo 5 and killzone 2. The PS2's software line up was pathetic too when it was a year old and we only got to see what it has to offer years after the dust had settled from its launch.

The PS3's software sales were terrible because the PS3 just launch and most of the games are on the cheaper competition's console. But now they are improving once the hardware sales started to pick up, especially in Europe.

Xeke said:
What about the Walkman? Such a huge name and the no name, feature lite iPod came out of nowhere and took its market without any fight at all?

If the PS3 was anything like the PS2 they wouldn't be in this situation. The only things that it has in common with the PS2 are the controller and the name.

That is true however the iPod was based on an entirely new technology, and Sony went in completely the wrong direction with the Mini-Disc...

Xeke said:
They have unicorns.

Maybe people just don't want the PS3. Is that impossible...?

Nah, just wait for X game and X price. Worked for the Gamecube.

Opus Angelorum said:
That is true however the iPod was based on an entirely new technology, and Sony went in completely the wrong direction with the Mini-Disc...

Wii = new technology
PS3 = wrong direction

Couldn't be any easier.

Xeke

Banned
sakuragi said:
I don't know why people are saying the PS3's software is terrible. It has and will have most of Sony's first party developers support as the PS2 which in itself huge. Sony has the strongest first party in the gaming industry and they worth the console purchase alone. The PS3 also has most of the third party support than the Xbox 360 has so I dont see whats all this fuss about the PS3's software being terrible.

We are also forgetting that the PS3 hasn't even been in the market for a year and less than 8 months in Europe and yet selling at the same rate as the Xbox 360 except it was $200 more. All this doom and gloom is a bit premature as we have yet to see most of the games the PS3 has to offer because the console isnt even a year old. Heck, we have yet to see any of the killer apps like Metal gear solid 4, FF13, Gran turismo 5 and killzone 2. The PS2's software line up was pathetic too when it was a year old and we only got to see what it has to offer years after the dust had settled from its launch.

But the PS2 sold hardware in the first year, the PS3...Not so much.

Opus Angelorum said:
To be fair a lot of faith in the Playstation brand can be attributed to the success of the PS2, you cannot condemn the successor so quickly with that kind of history...

I never comdemned anything and anyone. I'm simply pessimistic. This doesn't mean that things cannot change for the better, but in my opinion it looks always more unlikely, since one year already passed and I don't see any significant change.

Xeke

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:

Well that kind of sounds like Sony trojan horsing the PS3 with Blu-ray...

BishopLamont said:
Nah, just wait for X game and X price. Worked for the Gamecube.
Why they think this will work in the end is beyond me.

Listen to Nintendo and Sega fans. We know when someone is fucking up. Though we rarely admit it at the time. *cough*

sakuragi said:
Sony has the strongest first party in the gaming industry and they worth the console purchase alone

Ok. I stopped reading here. Discussing is ok, but this is getting ridicoulous. I wish you good discussion anyway.

Christopher

That white PS3 is super sexy, but I just got a black PSP slim to match my PS3, and I rather like the fact that mine can play PS2 titles.

Even though I DONT play PS2 titles, the face that I can interests me more than if I couldn't.

sakuragi

Banned
Xeke said:
But the PS2 sold hardware in the first year, the PS3...Not so much.

The PS2 launched a year earlier than the competition ( excluding dreamcast) and it didn't launch at $600. I dont know if you are dumb or pretending to be one.

sakuragi said:
The PS2 launched a year earlier than the competition ( excluding dreamcast) and it didn't launch at $600. I dont know if you are dumb or pretending to be one.

Ok how about this. the PS2 sold hardware AND software in the first year. Games are too expensive too huh? :lol

kay

Wow @ all the people in here arguing. Let's change the subject a bit, what is this Nintendo fans? During GC era, sales don't matter, graphics do! Now sales matter and graphics don't? Me confused. I thought games were what we enjoyed anyway? No no no, we're all investors, the fact the pstriple already has more third party support than the gamecube is irrelevant, let's talk about five hundred and ninety nine and ninety nine cents united states of america dollars of north america of the world! BLUERAY

first to respond to this loses

sakuragi

Banned
ethelred said:
In Japan this is not true.

Okay. :lol

hey, Killzone 2 did live up to the hype and it looks better than any game currently available in the market. Plus, I have no doubt Sony will hype it to death like Microsoft did with Halo. The game will be a killer application regardless of its gameplay quality.

ethelred

sakuragi said:
hey, Killzone 2 did live up to the hype and it looks better than any game currently available in the market. Plus, I have no doubt Sony will hype it to death like Microsoft did with Halo. The game will be a killer application regardless of its gameplay quality.

Cool. So it might sell 40k? Killer app redefined.

sakuragi

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Ok how about this. the PS2 sold hardware AND software in the first year. Games are too expensive too huh? :lol

The PS2 software sold better due to the head start obviously and most of it was exclusive to the system, unlike with the PS3 where its released to a cheaper alternative and delayed in some cases. Again, Stupid comparison.

kay said:
Wow @ all the people in here arguing. Let's change the subject a bit, what is this Nintendo fans? During GC era, sales don't matter, graphics do! Now sales matter and graphics don't? Me confused. I thought games were what we enjoyed anyway? No no no, we're all investors, the fact the pstriple already has more third party support than the gamecube is irrelevant, let's talk about five hundred and ninety nine and ninety nine cents united states of america dollars of north america of the world! BLUERAY

Sales do matter in a sales thread. Graphics, fun, waggle, don't.

sakuragi said:
The PS2 software sold better due to the head start obviously and most of it was exclusive to the system, unlike with the PS3 where its released to a cheaper alternative and delayed in some cases. Again, Stupid comparison.

Oh like how the 360 sold gangbusters in hardware and software due to the head start?

sakuragi said:
No, it will do better than Resistence which is estimated to have shipped 2 million. With the reduced PS3's price and the increased userbase it could double it.

We're talking about Japan here, not WW. The PS3 has even tougher competition if you want to take it WW.

sakuragi

Banned
ethelred said:
Cool. So it might sell 40k? Killer app redefined.

No, it will do better than Resistence which is estimated to have shipped 2 million. With the reduced PS3's price and the increased userbase it could double it.

ethelred

sakuragi said:

Wow. 2 million? But it's only sold 110k. Denden must be absolutely flooded with unpurchased copies of Resistance. Are people using them for the building of new homes yet?

Xeke

Banned
kay said:

Welcome to a SALES thread. There are plenty of game threads on this forum.

kay said:

Yes, assholes are assholes are assholes.

I trumpeted RS and RE4 in the Cube days because of their technical achievements. As I did Chaos Theory for the Xbox, and MGS2 for the PS2.

The Wii will rarely see these technical achievements (Mario seems to be one), but I know that. I'm not blind or hypnotized. It offered me something I wanted, a change. Visuals will come from a separate console.

It's not that graphics don't matter to me. It's that I can appreciate the technical skill, and not just be obsessed with the bump-maps or any range of High Dynamic Range lighting effects.

Visuals are not a bad thing. The cost to produce those visuals is. Developers needed a cheaper outlet in the console space. If they'd wake up they could have a huge market at their feet. At a fraction of the cost of the other two.

edit: they should not ignore the 360, but they definitely should not ignore the Wii.

ethelred said:
Wow. 2 million? But it's only sold 110k. Denden must be absolutely flooded with unpurchased copies of Resistance. Are people using them for the building of new homes yet?

Retailers just can't resist.

Xeke

Banned
sakuragi said:

:lol

I could have sworn we were talking about Japan.............. in a Japanese sales thread. But I guess you had to result to world wide sales to aid your argument. Typical.

Err...

sakuragi

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Sales do matter in a sales thread. Graphics, fun, waggle, don't.

Oh like how the 360 sold gangbusters in hardware and software due to the head start?

We're talking about Japan here, not WW. The PS3 has even tougher competition if you want to take it WW.

:lol :lol

The Xbox 360 needs to sell outside of the US to even compare it to the PS2. An even dumber comparison. And people blame me for making jokes? :lol

Lobster

Banned
kay said:

Sony fans burned the fact into our heads that sales do matter. They don't all of a sudden not matter now that Nintendo is winning.

sakuragi said:
The PS3's software sales were terrible because the PS3 just launch and most of the games are on the cheaper competition's console. But now they are improving once the hardware sales started to pick up, especially in Europe.

I haven't noticed this happening. I don't know (or care frankly) what PS3's attach rate is but certainly in media create threads and npd i haven't noticed PS3 selling much software at all.

As for Europe it's software sales are better but still not that good. Also i hate arguments like this being based on Europe because we get so little numbers. The two markets where we actually get some figures show little PS3 software being sold so that's what i will go by.

sakuragi

Banned
Xeke said:
:lol

I could have sworn we were talking about Japan.............. in a Japanese sales thread. But I guess you had to result to world wide sales to aid your argument. Typical.

Err...

I was talking about Japan. Dont you know, developer ship all the copies to Japan and when the sales peak they transfer the remaining copies to the rest of the world. :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
Well sure nothing is set in stone, but a certain someone said the PS3 will be at 12M LTD in 4 years after doing a 1M in a year. Does that sound logical? There's predictions and there's blind faith.

I see your point, but 4 years is a long time, so much can happend within this time period. Looking back, how many thought that Wii would sell this much and that PS3 would sell this little? If you said that PS3 was going to selling much less than Wii like 2 years ago people would probly have laughed at you, or atleast said "no way!" :p

Things can take a dramatic change. It depends on many factors. However, i agree that 12 million in 4 years seems impossible at this moment, but as said, much can happend so i wouldnt rule it completely out by saying "blind faith".

sakuragi said:
:lol :lol

The Xbox 360 needs to sell outside of the US to even compare it to the PS2. An even dumber comparison. And people blame me for making jokes? :lol

Sigh, it's the same situation as the Wii and PS3 in Japan. The gap is getting smaller, but the 360 is still ahead. You're a complete joke.

test_account said:
I see your point, but 4 years is a long time, so much can happend within this time period. Looking back, how many thought that Wii would sell this much and that PS3 would sell this little? If you said that PS3 was going to selling much less than Wii like 2 years ago people would probly have laughed at you, or atleast said "no way!" :p

Things can take a dramatic change. It depends on many factors. However, i agree that 12 million in 4 years seems impossible at this moment, but as said, much can happend so i wouldnt rule it completely out by saying "blind faith".

But it is blind faith if there's no evidence or logic to back it up. What else do you call it?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Surely you can't be serious. Even with it being a slow period for Wii, it's never sold as few units as PS3 did with this week's price drop bump.

If we ignore New Super Mario Bros... yes, you can make the argument that Gran Turismo has been a more successful series in Japan than 3D Marios. However, even with the userbase difference, Super Mario Sunshine sold more than Gran Turismo 4 Prologue, which would be the closest direct comparisons to SMG and GT5P.

right that price bump was felt every where im sure.. the real price drop is in november along with the White PS3 . i expect a quick spike of higher sales similar to the psp slim over the DS for a couple of weeks.. followed buy another spike when GT5p drops putting it over Wii sales slightly for that month in a half.. well see though in media crate

Wow, this thread went from a black hole of stupid to a rare quantum singularity of stupid

the stupid is off the scale

oh god my stupidometer is breaking

because there's too much stupid

better get some cover there's stupid shrapnel flying everywhere

when you put your hand in a puddle of stupid that used to be your best friend's face then you'll know

THEN YOU'LL KNOW

Parl

Seems like this week's is making up for the general lack of the Stupid Argument Poster of the last several months.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wow, this thread went from a black hole of stupid to a rare quantum singularity of stupid

the stupid is off the scale

oh god my stupidometer is breaking

because there's too much stupid

better get some cover there's stupid shrapnel flying everywhere

when you put your hand in a puddle of stupid that used to be your best friend's face then you'll know

THEN YOU'LL KNOW
Are you trying to tell us something?

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
But it is blind faith if there's no evidence or logic to back it up. What else do you call it?

That is what predictions is :) Predictions doesnt always have to be backed up by hard facts or evidence. No one has any evidence today on whats going to happend in 4 years when it comes to console sales. You can point to how the situation is today, but you cannot say if this situation will be the same next year. Who had any evidence 2 years ago that Wii would sell this well? That could that be considered as "blind faith" and you saw what happend :)

Ristamar

I hadn't looked at a MC thread in awhile until today. Was the PSP always doing so well in Japan? Those numbers and the numbers from previous weeks are certainly impressive. Not DS levels, but hardly something to sneeze at.

Also, the Wii, while doing well, doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves, judging by those numbers. Has Japan cooled to the hot Wii "fad," or is it supply constrained? The recent PS3 numbers don't look so bad compared to the Wii numbers. Is PS3 clawing toward better week-to-week sales?

Arde5643

Ristamar said:
I hadn't looked at a MC thread in awhile until today. Was the PSP always doing so well in Japan? Those numbers and the numbers from previous weeks are certainly impressive. Not DS levels, but hardly something to sneeze at.

Also, the Wii, while doing well, doesn't seem to be flying off the shelves, judging by those numbers. Has Japan cooled to the hot Wii "fad," or is it supply constrained? The recent PS3 numbers don't look so bad compared to the Wii numbers. Is PS3 clawing toward better week-to-week sales?
We've got a live one here, guys.

test_account said:
That is what predictions is :) Predictions doesnt always have to be backed up by hard facts or evidence. No one has any evidence today on whats going to happend in 4 years when it comes to console sales. You can point to how the situation is today, but you cannot say if this situation will be the same next year. Who had any evidence 2 years ago that Wii would sell this well? That could that be considered as "blind faith" and you saw what happend :)

Predictions are based on trends and logic. Predicting the Wii would take off two years ago is blind faith, it's fine to have it, but don't take it to a sales thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
BishopLamont said:
Predictions are based on trends and logic. Predicting the Wii would take off two years ago is blind faith, it's fine to have it, but don't take it to a sales thread.

Dont take predictions to sale threads? Hm.. is this your first visit to a Media Create thread? Media Create threads are like 3-4 pages of talking about this weeks numbers, then 10 pages of predictions. If you want logic i could always toss out something like price drops, MGS4, FFXIII, Yakuza 3 + many more :p But predicting how much this would affect the sales is impossible to say. You cant find any evidence today on how these games will turn out to sell. This market can be so unpredictable that you cant always follow logic.

Top Bottom