• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

Rolf NB

Mgoblue201 said:
New IPs can be huge successes. The problem is that they're risks. People like the familiar. They like familiar names, genres, developers (to a smaller extent). They tend to trust people around them before buying new things. Capcom recently had two good successes with Dead Rising and Lost Planet, although those games were fairly familiar in terms of their composition. There is almost always a danger of sinking a product by repeatedly slapping a name on it as long as that series retains the same fundamental gameplay. There is a diminishing aspect to it, and the problem with so many remakes and spinoffs is that they're generally trying to piggy back off of the success of the main series without trying to jump start it or revitilize it or become something bigger and better, and so it continues to sort of erode. There are only so many titles that can be released without moving forward, especially in such a short period of time.

New IPs can succeed depending on how they are handled. Quality sometimes does speak for itself. Banjo Kazooie was called the spiritual successor to Mario 64. But I think it was easily marketed. High quality game, developed by Rare, published by Nintendo, a standard platformer, perhaps the next greatest after Mario, and perhaps most important, it had a wide appeal. Not all new IPs are destined to become smashing successes. Not all ideas are going to be wide reaching. But I think success can be maximized if some steps are taken. The hardest thing is when you're trying to sell a new concept. But again, I think the most important aspect is having a concept that's easy to get. If your concept is kind of heavy handed or complex, then it might not fly with a huge number of people. And there are places for both games.

In Square's case, I'm still trying to figure out whether it's a fundamental problem with their plan. I think the first Kingdom Hearts was the last thing apart from the main Final Fantasy series that really set the videogame world on fire. Perhaps I just don't follow Square closely enough, so this is an honest question: have they done anything lately that's really new and interesting and successful all at the same time?
Dunno about your definition of successful (that's why we're here I suppose), but they innovate their core game systems all the time. FF XII plays nothing like FF X-2, which plays nothing like FF X, which plays nothing like FF IX and so on. If there's one thing you can't fault the mainline FF series for, it's stagnant game mechanics. It may look like that from the outside, with part XIII in the making and all, but anyone who actually plays these games knows how much they change each time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
And people scoffed originally when I said that KH PSP would kill KH DS in sales.

It's important to differentiate between "people" and "weirdo fanboys who only follow media create because it helps them justify their self-concept".

Jiggy

donny2112 said:
So the Media-Create threads have gotten so bloated and overgrown that we're trying to actively reduce the number of replies? I thought most people were complaining that it had slowed down too much. :lol
I was in that line of complaint, albeit in a lurker kind of way, but then I saw last week's magnitude eight epic trainwreck.

Defuser

Pureauthor said:
(Defuser, is GAF crapping out on you every once in a while?)
Yup,the problem is back again. Duckroll says he's not gonna bother calling Starhub again so all is left is ElyrionX to make the call.

Jiggy37 said:
I was in that line of complaint, albeit in a lurker kind of way, but then I saw last week's magnitude eight epic trainwreck.

It was like all the stupid of the past few months had accumulated themselves up and exploded into a single thread.

Saitou

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
It's important to differentiate between "people" and "weirdo fanboys who only follow media create because it helps them justify their self-concept".
Spending extended amounts of time on GAF can alter a man's perception to horrible new levels.

I don't think Square is in any trouble at all. If all the projections of FFIV selling as well or better than FFIII come true, it only means that the Final Fantasy name is as strong as it was over a year ago. That's a pretty admirable feat considering how liberally and frequently the name gets applied. Even if FFIV doesn't sell that well, I think Crisis Core, the best selling spin off ever (?) is enough to show that Final Fantasy is as potent as it was two years ago.

Also, I don't understand why people aren't thrilled with Square Enix's DS support. I suppose some of their stuff was mediocre but they have put out some very high quality titles. This is the system getting the next Dragon Quest, their most valuable property, and people still complain about how highly Square feels about the DS?

Rancid Mildew said:
I don't think Square is in any trouble at all. If all the projections of FFIV selling as well or better than FFIII come true, it only means that the Final Fantasy name is as strong as it was over a year ago. That's a pretty admirable feat considering how liberally and frequently the name gets applied. Even if FFIV doesn't sell that well, I think Crisis Core, the best selling spin off ever (?) is enough to show that Final Fantasy is as potent as it was two years ago.
Not the best-selling spinoff, but that's irrelevant. That it did well says nothing about the strength of FF over the course of two years, because there's no Crisis Core from two years ago to compare it to. How would it have done two years ago? How would it have done this year if there were fewer other FFs released? *shrug*
Rancid Mildew said:
Also, I don't understand why people aren't thrilled with Square Enix's DS support. I suppose some of their stuff was mediocre but they have put out some very high quality titles. This is the system getting the next Dragon Quest, their most valuable property, and people still complain about how highly Square feels about the DS?
Even if they're chained together, we see frequently look at Square and Enix as different beasts. There's been a big difference between the way historically-Square and historically-Enix franchises have been handled.

stylistically, Zack and Wiki was aimed towards a Japanese audience, yet it is almost guarenteed to sell better everywhere else.

and Zack and Wiki = bomb vs RE4 = win, hopefully Capcom gets the message now, before its too late.

VultureDude said:
stylistically, Zack and Wiki was aimed towards a Japanese audience, yet it is almost guarenteed to sell better everywhere else.

and Zack and Wiki = bomb vs RE4 = win, hopefully Capcom gets the message now, before its too late.
Oh, I wouldn't be too sure of that.

VultureDude said:
If the message you're referring to is "remakes plz", I'm sure Capcom will be right on top of it. If you mean something else, well... we can always hope.

ethelred

Rancid Mildew said:
I don't think Square is in any trouble at all. If all the projections of FFIV selling as well or better than FFIII come true, it only means that the Final Fantasy name is as strong as it was over a year ago.

I hope so. I really think FFIVr needs to track even at least with FFIIIr in order to meet Square's expectations, and I really hope it does so. At the very least, as far as quality software goes, that would guarantee FFVr.

Rancid Mildew said:

Ah, don't get me wrong. I still feel they're one of the best overall publishers on the system, and I'm pretty pleased with most of their efforts (even setting aside the historical Enix franchises). FFIII was fantastic, FFIV looks glorious, IAWW looks like a really cool and stylish RPG (and I'm glad it seems like it's being localized), and I'm really excited to get Revenant Wings in English (hell, I've already got an official thread all written up).

I just wish they'd cut down on some of their poorer efforts, stop outsourcing some of these games to low quality developers that hurt the finished product, and try a few more things besides FF spinoffs and Mana tainting.

VultureDude said:

The message that they should just keep porting all their games to the Wii and stop trying to make original, innovative, funny, and truly hardcore new games? That's not a very good message.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Not the best-selling spinoff, but that's irrelevant. That it did well says nothing about the strength of FF over the course of two years, because there's no Crisis Core from two years ago to compare it to. How would it have done two years ago? How would it have done this year if there were fewer other FFs released? *shrug*

Whoops. I have no idea why I typed two years but the intent was to compare it with Dirge of Cerberus which is the next closest thing isn't it? Anyways, if FFIV meets expectations, then we can say that the name is as strong as it was during the release of the FFIII remake right? Isn't that pretty impressive?

Even if they're chained together, we see frequently look at Square and Enix as different beasts. There's been a big difference between the way historically-Square and historically-Enix franchises have been handled.

They are one corporate entity bound by the same executives. Treating them separately to judge their DS support seems problematic to me. If we really want to go down that road, I'd argue that getting FFIII and IV remakes is a pretty big deal and in terms of selling power, more significant than support given to any other system so far (except for the PS3). Even if Final Fantasy isn't as prolific on Nintendo systems, an assessment I disagree with, I don't really blame them. The men in charge of the series have a creative vision that doesn't really jive with Nintendo's systems.

I hope so. I really think FFIVr needs to track even at least with FFIIIr in order to meet Square's expectations, and I really hope it does so. At the very least, as far as quality software goes, that would guarantee FFVr.

Yep. I really hope that happens. I missed out on these games since I wasn't too active of a gamer back then. Getting these remakes is a great service especially when there is so much effort being put into them. I think I'll remain optimistic about the sales outlook of FFIV since it's launching during a huge shopping season.

Ah, don't get me wrong. I still feel they're one of the best overall publishers on the system, and I'm pretty pleased with most of their efforts (even setting aside the historical Enix franchises). FFIII was fantastic, FFIV looks glorious, IAWW looks like a really cool and stylish RPG (and I'm glad it seems like it's being localized), and I'm really excited to get Revenant Wings in English (hell, I've already got an official thread all written up).

I just wish they'd cut down on some of their poorer efforts, stop outsourcing some of these games to low quality developers that hurt the finished product, and try a few more things besides FF spinoffs and Mana tainting.

Oh I definitely agree here as well but I guess that's what happens when you work on a popular system. It would be unfair of me to expect perfection from them when they are already contributing significantly in making the DS one of the best systems ever made. Square put its fair share of mediocrity on the PS2 as well and I was very happy with that console's support as well. Of course I have my list of complaints tucked away in my brain as well but what gamer doesn't? Anyways, my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular or the need to suggest corrections in the Square DS strategy/output but the general feeling that I got from reading this thread that they have somehow ignored the DS. To me, feeling that way is almost offensive.

botticus

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh, I wouldn't be too sure of that.
We just need to make sure Z&W is included in the NPD software predictions so we can get numbers for it as it won't be in the top 10. That Sven dude at Capcom seemed to imply the sales were decent first day, but since he wouldn't say what their expectations were or what their shipments were, hard to derive too much from that.

Rancid Mildew said:
Anyways, if FFIV meets expectations, then we can say that the name is as strong as it was during the release of the FFIII remake right?
I don't think it's ever that easy, but maybe I overcomplicate things. If FF IV does the same as III, it's doing so in spite of these advantages:
August release vs December release
Userbase of ~10 million vs Userbase of ~20 million
Launch shortages vs Presumably bigger launch stock

And this one I'm not sure whether to class as an advantage or disadvantage:
Remake of lesser-known entry vs Remake of better-known entry

Rancid Mildew said:
Treating them separately to judge their DS support seems problematic to me. If we really want to go down that road, I'd argue that getting FFIII and IV remakes is a pretty big deal and in terms of selling power, more significant than support given to any other system so far (except for the PS3).
I agree III and IV are a pretty big deal. The thing is, the Enix side of things is doing even bigger things with DQ IV-VI and IX, but with fewer mediocre titles that have little involvement by original series creators sitting next to them.

botticus said:
We just need to make sure Z&W is included in the NPD software predictions so we can get numbers for it as it won't be in the top 10. That Sven dude at Capcom seemed to imply the sales were decent first day, but since he wouldn't say what their expectations were or what their shipments were, hard to derive too much from that.
Sven also lied about Capcom's Japanese marketing on the title, so you'll forgive me if I don't put much stock in his words.

I'm predicting under 15k for Z&W on the Oct NPD.

D.Lo

Just a question - why do you guys not seem to count re-makes as spin-offs? Personally, I'm much less likely to buy a re-make of an ancient 'classic' game I may or may not have played years ago (FFIII) then I am a new spin-off of a game I played and liked more recently. I played Dirge of Cerberus because it was related to FF7 but wasn't a re-make of what I'd already experienced (also because I had to review it, but heh). Yes it was clunky and boring, but at least from a narrative perspective it was an extension of a popular brand. On the other hand, I have almost no inclination to bother with FFIII on DS.

So personally, I see FFIII DS as much more superfluous, and therefore more of a spin-off then, say, X-2 or CC. Even though technically it has a whole number next to the title.

Vinnk

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sven also lied about Capcom's Japanese marketing on the title, so you'll forgive me if I don't put much stock in his words.

Very true. I saw zero marketing on this title. I know a televison commercial was made but I never saw it. As a matter of fact I never saw so much as a poster or leaflet in a game store. It was like the title never even existed.

U-DECIDE:

Segata Response #1:
If you check out last week's Media Create thread, you'll find GAF has collectively written a book, a text if you will, on what makes a spin-off a spin-off.

OR

Segata Response #2:
Here we go again!

Segata Sanshiro said:
U-DECIDE:

Segata Response #1:
If you check out last week's Media Create thread, you'll find GAF has collectively written a book, a text if you will, on what makes a spin-off a spin-off.

OR

Segata Response #2:
Here we go again!

Can I phone a friend?

Does anyone have on-scene information from the SMG launch yet? I was wondering if anyone saw any X360s with AC6 going out the door.

Didn't know if I needed to look here, or in the SMG thread.

ethelred

Rancid Mildew said:
Anyways, my comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular or the need to suggest corrections in the Square DS strategy/output but the general feeling that I got from reading this thread that they have somehow ignored the DS. To me, feeling that way is almost offensive.

Very true. The machine is most definitely not being ignored or anything close to it.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I agree III and IV are a pretty big deal. The thing is, the Enix side of things is doing even bigger things with DQ IV-VI and IX, but with fewer mediocre titles that have little involvement by original series creators sitting next to them.

Actually, I'm not sure. While DQIX is a bigger deal than any of the Final Fantasy stuff being done so far (obviously), I'd say FFIIIr and IVr are bigger deals than what we've seen of the remakes so far. Now, don't get me wrong, DQIV is awesome, I absolutely can't wait to play it, it'll sell fantastically... but the Final Fantasy remakes (especially going off IV) are more comprehensive, are having a lot more invested in them, and I'm still really pleased and impressed with how Square's gone back and gotten the original teams for these games to handle the remakes (Tanaka directing III, Tokita directing IV, Ito doing game design for IV).

D.Lo said:
Just a question - why do you guys not seem to count re-makes as spin-offs? Personally, I'm much less likely to buy a re-make of an ancient 'classic' game I may or may not have played years ago (FFIII) then I am a new spin-off of a game I played and liked more recently. I played Dirge of Cerberus because it was related to FF7 but wasn't a re-make of what I'd already experienced (also because I had to review it, but heh). Yes it was clunky and boring, but at least from a narrative perspective it was an extension of a popular brand. On the other hand, I have almost no inclination to bother with FFIII on DS.

So personally, I see FFIII DS as much more superfluous, and therefore more of a spin-off then, say, X-2 or CC. Even though technically it has a whole number next to the title.
Superfluousness does not a spinoff make. If they rereleased Famicom FFIII today, it wouldn't be a spinoff.

I think the "remake" term is plenty for differentiating that they're something else. No reason to have only two categories rather than three or more.

Mr Killemgood said:
Does anyone have on-scene information from the SMG launch yet? I was wondering if anyone saw any X360s with AC6 going out the door.

Didn't know if I needed to look here, or in the SMG thread.
I don't know if there's anything about that in the SMG thread. Too huge and I'm sure full of information I'd rather find out for myself in a few weeks for me to want to take a good look.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Superfluousness does not a spinoff make. If they rereleased Famicom FFIII today, it wouldn't be a spinoff.

I think the "remake" term is plenty for differentiating that they're something else. No reason to have only two categories rather than three or more.

This is almost precisely what I was going to say.

I'd also note that people don't always seem to perceive remakes as milking, if they're timed well and given enough attention -- the DQ remakes seem to strengthen the brand rather than weaken it, for example.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't think it's ever that easy, but maybe I overcomplicate things. If FF IV does the same as III, it's doing so in spite of these advantages:
August release vs December release
Userbase of ~10 million vs Userbase of ~20 million
Launch shortages vs Presumably bigger launch stock

It's never that easy and you bring up all very valid points but as long as they are in the same ballpark, I'd still say that Final Fantasy has remained remarkably resilient. It's been used as a cellphone title, a Chocobo title, on two different remakes, as a sequel to an average strategy game, as a remake of FFT, and on spin offs of FFXII, FFVII, and Crystal Chronicles all between FFIII and FFIV remake. I'm probably missing a few as well. Waiting in the wings is two other Crystal Chronicles title, another Chocobo title, and a fighter for the PSP and however many FFXIII spin offs there are spanning cellphones to downloads to the Wii to the PS3 and both handhelds and probably more than that. If it sells as well as FFIII (and I am sure that it will based solely off the December launch), that's pretty neat if not admirable. It'd be even more impressive if FFIV outsold FFIII noticeably and I think it might be able to do that. While the slackening sales of these recent DS titles may indicate franchise fatigue in spin offs, I think the big titles are still as powerful as ever in recent history. Of course FFIV may do worse and typing all of this would have been for nothing but those projections alone from Japanese sales analysts means there is, at least, a wealth of faith in Final Fantasy. If Square is in any real trouble with Final Fantasy, I think it'd be very possible to deal with.

The fact is that the DS has received the best and most support from both Square and Enix sides since this generation began. I'd love it if Square did even more but can we ask for more than the best?

Link1110

JoshuaJSlone said:
But, is FF4 really "better known" in Japan? Obviously FF3 was never translated to English, so that would apply to America, but Japan got both.

ksamedi

charlequin said:
This is almost precisely what I was going to say.

I'd also note that people don't always seem to perceive remakes as milking, if they're timed well and given enough attention -- the DQ remakes seem to strengthen the brand rather than weaken it, for example.

For non Japanese markets maybe but I don't think it strengthens it in Japan. I think that non Japanese markets had something to do with the remakes because the DQ series in not known that well outside Japan.

Xisiqomelir

Defuser said:
Yup,the problem is back again. Duckroll says he's not gonna bother calling Starhub again so all is left is ElyrionX to make the call.

There's a Singaporean ElyrionX? Does he play Duris?

ksamedi said:
For non Japanese markets maybe but I don't think it strengthens it in Japan. I think that non Japanese markets had something to do with the remakes because the DQ series in not known that well outside Japan.

I agree.

I suspect these remake are largely an attempt to get the series into the minds of markets other then Japan.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
First day numbers for Super Mario Galaxy ? I hope it will be at least 400k.
If I recall correctly, those were about the first day sales of NSMB. I would be estimating much lower.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Link1110 said:
But, is FF4 really "better known" in Japan? Obviously FF3 was never translated to English, so that would apply to America, but Japan got both.

FF4 is much better known. FF4 sold 1.45 million in its original release. FF3 less than one million. FF4 has been ported dozens more times than FF3. FF4 has recognizable characters; Cecil, Kain, and Golbez most notably... FF3 does not. It's much better known.

Rancid Mildew said:
While the slackening sales of these recent DS titles may indicate franchise fatigue in spin offs, I think the big titles are still as powerful as ever in recent history.

Well, S-E have done a lot of things that weren't good ideas, but they have maintained a very clear separation between "real" FFs and spinoffs (IMO), and they have yet to drop the ball on production values or scope on a real FF -- I do think the main series will be significantly more resilient than the spinoff series. That doesn't do much for Square's day to day bottom line, though.

The fact is that the DS has received the best and most support from both Square and Enix sides since this generation began. I'd love it if Square did even more but can we ask for more than the best?

The DS has S-E's best support in the present, but it's not nearly as good as their support of past platforms -- notably the SFAM and the PS1. I think it's totally reasonable to want their support to rise back to that level.

ksamedi said:

Do you know anything about the DQ series? DQs have been being remade with upgraded graphics and extensive added content for most of the history of the series: DQ 1-3 were all remade for the SFAM and the GBC, DQ4 for the PS1, and DQ5 for the PS2. These are what I'm referring to, not the upcoming remakes whose effects are obviously yet to be observed.

Link1110 said:
If we were just looking at original releases there wouldn't be a big difference; they weren't released far apart, and it doesn't seem that one was much more successful than the other. However, III disappeared for 16 years, while in the meantime IV has seen release on PS1, WSC, and GBA.

Admittedly, from my perspective in the US it's harder to have a grasp on how well-regarded each has been there over the years.
Mithos Yggdrasil said:
First day numbers for Super Mario Galaxy ? I hope it will be at least 400k.
Considering that no N64, GCN, or Wii game has had a first week that large, to do so on day one would be pretty astounding.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Considering that no N64, GCN, or Wii game has had a first week that large, to do so on day one would be pretty astounding.
Do you have access to some of the higher first week sales numbers for the above platforms?

farnham

Banned
FF III is maybe not the most popular game of the series but it sold over 1,5 million copies (on NES)

Also you have to take into account that FF III is the first FF million seller. you could argue that FF really started with FF III (FF I was a "mere" DQ clone and FF II was a disaster on many levels..)

charlequin said:
The DS has S-E's best support in the present, but it's not nearly as good as their support of past platforms -- notably the SFAM and the PS1. I think it's totally reasonable to want their support to rise back to that level.

uh ... many of SEs teams are now gone... Monolith for example is now Nintendos first party.. Alpha Dream is Nintendos second party.. Mistwalker (sakaguchi) is independent..

I think its hard for SE to make as many quality titles as they did in the SNES/ PS1 gen...

botticus

voodoojohn said:
Do you have access to some of the higher first week sales numbers for the above platforms?
From the last thread:
JoshuaJSlone said:
Let's see. Checking the N64, GCN, and Wii lists at Japan Game-Charts, here are the opening weeks over 200K according to Famitsu.

N64
Ocarina of Time: 386K
Majora's Mask: 314K
Kirby 64: 246K
Pokémon Stadium 2: 226K
Mario Party 3: 221K
Mario Tennis 64: 213K
Hey You, Pikachu!: 205K

GCN
Super Smash Bros. Melee: 357K
Wind Waker: 287K
Super Mario Sunshine: 281K

Wii
Dragon Quest Swords: 302K
Mario Party 8: 282K

Quite doable.

JoshuaJSlone said:
If we were just looking at original releases there wouldn't be a big difference; they weren't released far apart, and it doesn't seem that one was much more successful than the other. However, III disappeared for 16 years, while in the meantime IV has seen release on PS1, WSC, and GBA.

Admittedly, from my perspective in the US it's harder to have a grasp on how well-regarded each has been there over the years.

Yeah, at most I'm expecting something like 350k, and even that seems a little high for me. First day sales should be around 250k, and for the week maybe 375k. I think that would put it above Smash Bros, which had the biggest debut on the Gamecube. I'm not really sure what the biggest start on the N64 was, so I don't know if it has a chance of beating it.

Edit: Sort of beaten. But I think that definitely backs up my prediction. About 100k more than Sunshine sounds right, but right under the start for Ocarina of Time.

Deku

Banned
Jonnyram said:
In all seriousness, what can Square do to reverse the situation now?
It's a problem with the state of the industry more than Square themselves. Like Capcom, Namco, and even Nintendo to some extent, most original IP seems to fall flat on its face in the current climate.

For original IP to work, you have to have a rock solid reputation as a developer/publisher, like Square used to have back at the end of SNES, start of PS.

The original IPs that sell tend to reach a broader demographic.

The only reliable demographic left for the game makers are grown gamers, hence you see all the remakes and attempt to appeal to people's childhood. There's not enough young people coming up to replace the aging gamers so no wonder new 'traditional gaming' IPs tend to have an uphill battle, they'd have to compete with familiar brands and a limited amount of playtime.

I find it disingenous when people try to extend weak sales of traditionally hardcore games to a platform problem or a publisher problem, considring the sad state of Japanese games industry just a few years ago.

farnham said:
FF III is maybe not the most popular game of the series but it sold over 1,5 million copies (on NES)

Also you have to take into account that FF III is the first FF million seller. you could argue that FF really started with FF III (FF I was a "mere" DQ clone and FF II was a disaster on many levels..)

uh ... many of SEs teams are now gone... Monolith for example is now Nintendos first party.. Alpha Dream is Nintendos second party.. Mistwalker (sakaguchi) is independent..

I think its hard for SE to make as many quality titles as they did in the SNES/ PS1 gen...
That's why you groom new talent. A company involved in creative endeavours should constantly be seeking out and grooming new talent, operating under the assumption that sooner or later the old talent will leave (the Gooch), fall out of touch with what customers want (Kawazu), or just plain stop coming up with good designs.

Square has failed to properly cultivate new IP. Square has failed to capitalize on the potential new IP they've developed over the years. Instead they've leaned hard on Final Fantasy.

They've done the same thing with talent. They don't seem to be attracting hot new hands, and the up-and-comers they've had have been improperly utilized and/or left. Instead they've leaned hard on Kitase and Nomura.

taconinja

Great Rumbler said:
Unfortunately, yes. It gives off an air of "cheap licensed crud". They should have just left it as Treasure Hunter Z.
I don't think they could. Something about not having the rights to use "Treasure Island" in the title.

Link to the article

Siliconera said:
Akihabara Adventure: Obtaining Super Mario Galaxy
Written by: Spencer on November 1st, 2007 @ 5:15 am

It’s easy to hop into a local haunt to grab Super Mario Galaxy, but this is no ordinary game. Super Mario Galaxy is the biggest Wii release this year. I wanted to see just how excited gamers were about it and there is no better place to find out than the heart of Tokyo’s video scene, Akihabara.

smgadv1.jpg

The adventure begins 9:18 AM in Shibuya…

smgadv2.jpg

arrived in Akihabara at 9:47 AM and things are tame. It is Thursday morning and most people are probably at work. But the hardcore fans should be lining up right? This is Super Mario Galaxy after all! As soon as I step off this escala-walkway I’m probably going to be waiting in a long line to get the game. I’m glad I brought my DS. Maybe someone will play Tingle’s Balloon Fight with me to pass the time.

smgadv3.jpg

Wow! That looks like a long line, I better snoop around for another place to… oh wait… that’s for the pachinko parlor. Besides this line Akihabara is a ghost town. Most stores are closed and they don’t have people loitering outside waiting for them to open.

smgadv4.jpg

Here we go! People are lining up for something at a video game store, but the dudes in front don’t want Super Mario Galaxy. They’re waiting for Ace Combat 6, which just came out today too. Surprised? I was. Ace Combat 6 is considerably bigger in North America and Europe, but I guess the fans in Japan can’t wait to get their hands on it.

smgadv5.jpg

Nothing is really going on so I went to Yodabashi Camera to pick up my copy. Seventh floor… video games. I hop into line and notice a number of people are buying Ace Combat 6 and other Xbox 360 games. It isn’t hard to identify them because people are carrying the green DVD cases in line. One person way ahead of me is buying Microsoft’s CERO Z bundle (Gears of War / Dead Rising), a few are buying marketplace points and only a handful of people are purchasing Super Mario Galaxy. There isn’t a shortage of Wiis here either. Two people in a row bought a Wii and a slim, ceramic white PSP. Yodabashi Camera is healthily stocked with copies of Super Mario Galaxy and I don’t think anyone will have a problem getting it even if they didn’t reserve it.

smgadv6.jpg

Maybe Softmap will have more of a Super Mario Galaxy Crowd… Nope. That’s a quick snapshot of the display, but the store is rather empty. No one is even buying Ace Combat 6 here!
So what’s the lesson here? Unlike the long lines of people who wait for Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy few people are skipping out on work to grab Super Mario Galaxy. This doesn’t mean Super Mario Galaxy isn’t going to sell. I bet tons of people after work are going to pick up Super Mario Galaxy today. It’s raining after all and what's better than staying indoors vegging out on Super Mario Galaxy? However, there wasn’t an air of anticipation for Super Mario Galaxy either. Perhaps, the majority of people reserved the game to avoid the hassle of waiting in a line. No long lines or rabid fans. In hindsight I’m happy about this!

smgadv7.jpg

Super Mario Galaxy get!

And what if Super Mario Galaxy bombs ?

Top Bottom