• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

donny2112

Shiggy said:
There will be enough copies sold to make another Mario game
Barely :(
Segata Sanshiro said:
Maybe they can build housing out of them for some of the Tokyo hobos.
At least they'll be useful for something.
Sage00 said:
Or having several thousand copies lying there could be a good thing. They certainly are colorful, brightens up the store.
Good thinking!

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:
It proves it isn't selling.

Maybe they can build housing out of them for some of the Tokyo hobos.

I think that Mario is a much more casual franchise than you think it is, I don't think that the sales of any Mario game will be very front loaded.

birdchili

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
if hardc're's gamers are so few on Wii, where are they ?...Maybe a part is still playing with PS2
raises hand.

i'm sure there has been and continues to be a not-inconsequential migration to handhelds in japan - surely at the cost of unit sales for consoles in general.

wii has few hardcore games appealing outside of the gamecube demographic and few that are killer-apps on the control front.

ps3 is even more slow-to-start on the software front, with seemingly nothing both new and brilliant yet.

...and new-gen rpgs are still just about nowhere to be found outside of the 360 (which continues to struggle in japan for a million million-times-discussed reasons).

for "hardcore" gamers coming off a ps2 with lots of japanese-developed games, a single-console purchase based on available or soon-to-be available games isn't really that obvious yet.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
ksamedi said:
I think that Mario is a much more casual franchise than you think it is, I don't think that the sales of any Mario game will be very front loaded.
Wasn't this supposed to be the game that caused hardcore gamers to start buying Wiis in droves in Japan?

ksamedi said:
You're right, Mario Galaxy won't be front-loaded.

Because that would indicate it had a load to deploy to begin with.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Smiles and Cries said:
SMG will sell 600k first week and this is without lines mark my words

I don't think it will go that high..maybe 400-450K.

Just for some perspective people...MP8 sold 300k first week and I certainly don't remember any hype or sellout reports for that.

donny2112

Sage00 said:
Wasn't this supposed to be the game that caused hardcore gamers to start buying Wiis in droves in Japan?
This and Smash Bros. I always wondered how sequels to GameCube games were supposed to draw in the PS2 hardcore...

Sage00 said:
It proves that retailers might have been wrong about their estimates and may now cut prices and not order alot more?

Or having several thousand copies lying there could be a good thing. They certainly are colorful, brightens up the store.
So now we care not only sbout the sales, not only about publishers success, not only about benefits for consoles, but also about retailers? Wat next? "But did he resell the ame for enough to feed his child? ;((("

Sccess measuring is serious matterz.

ksamedi

Sage00 said:

Well it will probably move some Wii's, I fully expect high Wii sales next week from this but I don't think a Mario game has the same sales pattern as a DQ or FF game. How big has any 3D Mario game done anyway, 1 million in Japan would be a big succes for this.

donny2112

Ynos Yrros said:
So now we care not only sbout the sales, not only about publishers success, not only about benefits for consoles, but also about retailers? Wat next? "But did he resell the ame for enough to feed his child? ;((("

Sccess measuring is serious matterz.

My eyes! My eyes! THEY BURN!

Rancid Mildew said:
We should all commence the gloating over Galaxy's demise right now. It'll be a lot more fun when the numbers actually do come out.

IAWTP

crbowen

Here's a new game for all Gaf-ers to enjoy.

office_space_kit_mat.jpg

Another example about lines for a game:

CC:FF7 vs. Pokemon Mistery Dungeon 2
which one had lines on first day?
which one sold more on first week ?

Akihabara is a place for hardcore gamers, Segata is right about that

Jammy

Banned
What did Super Mario Sunshine do in its first week?

I think people are just on a NSMB high. They expect HUGE sales, but forget that NSMB opened up to 900,000 first-week sales and that the DS had a much higher userbase at the time. And 2D Mario is a lot more marketable than a 3D one.

I'm expecting this game to sell 550,000-650,000 in its first week.

ksamedi said:
In the old days, that might've been so. However, since that 480K opening day, NSMB has barely managed to dectuple its total.

donny2112

Moor-Angol said:
Another example about lines for a game:

CC:FF7 vs. Pokemon Mistery Dungeon 2
which one had lines on first day?
which one sold more on first week ?

Yeah! We didn't see lines for Zack & Wiki, either, and look how that turned out!

Ynos Yrros said:
I'm on a laptop, absolutely hating the small crappy keyboard :(. The "matterz" part was done on purpose.

:)

JoshuaJSlone said:
In the old days, that might've been so. However, since that 480K opening day, NSMB has barely managed to dectuple its total.

Barely. Mario's just not a system seller anymore. :(

Xeke

Banned
It doesn't prove shit.

People don't want to skip school on a rainy day and line up for a game that will have abundant supply, no way...

I don't know what you people are thinking but if there were 700k retail preorders you would have to be bat shit crazy to expect it to sell out first day or even first week.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, Mario had a good run.

Anyone wanna make the Official Mario platformer funeral thread?

taconinja

Xeke said:
It doesn't prove shit.

People don't want to skip school on a rainy day and line up for a game that will have abundant supply, no way...

I don't know what you people are thinking but if there were 700k retail preorders you would have to be bat shit crazy to expect it to sell out first day or even first week.
Sarcasm Detector broken! Please report to the nearest service area for repairs!

Elios83

Aahaha now just because a site is reporting small or no lines for Mario the game is already a bomba confirmed :lol :lol
These days the only thing bombing seems to be posting quality...

Xeke

Banned
taconinja said:
Sarcasm Detector broken! Please report to the nearest service area for repairs!

More like overloaded. Sometimes the sarcasm here is so thick I'd need a machete to cut through it.

NeonZ

Am I missing some collective joke here or are you people genuinely worried?
I don't know what the result will be, but you're acting like a bunch of kids...

Elios83 said:
Aahaha now just because a site is reporting small or no lines for Mario the game is already a bomba confirmed :lol :lol
Sigh I see the NDF is here already

donny2112

Elios83 said:

Why... do you have... to make it... so easy? I almost feel dirty turning that into the obvious joke that it so cries out for!

As evidenced by ...

I don't know why the failure of Mario Galaxy is so surprising. Ever since the abysmal sales of Mario Strikers Charged, it's been apparent to all but the most myopic that Mario was simply a dying, and now dead, mascot.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Rancid Mildew said:
I don't know why the failure of Mario Galaxy is so surprising. Ever since the abysmal sales of Mario Strikers Charged, it's been apparent to all but the most myopic that Mario was simply a dying, and now dead, mascot.
Exactly! It's time for Sonic to rise again!

donny2112

Rancid Mildew said:

:lol :lol :lol

UNLESS ...

ksamedi

Rancid Mildew said:

Well the 3D Mario games have atleast done well in the west, and the market is bigger there. I think Nintendo has plenty of reason to make more Mario even if it didn't sell a single copy in Japan.

Nolan.

Honestly this thread is a goldmine if it did turn out the game didn't sell well, I don't think people are saying it will bomb just figuring out the article no need for the huge defense.

Sage00 said:
Exactly! It's time for Sonic to rise again!
The Blue WILL rise again. #1 seller on last week's Media Create, more titles in the top ten this week than any other publisher.

The writing is on the wall which means it is time for Segata to reveal his coup of the century.

Be prepared for the murkiest scam.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
The Blue WILL rise again. #1 seller on last week's Media Create, more titles in the top ten this week than any other publisher.

The writing is on the wall which means it is time for Segata to reveal his coup of the century.

Be prepared for the murkiest scam.
Oh my, those people lining up for the Pachinko parlour. Were they.. were they Sammy machines? Is this a sign of things to come?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I'm not sure what's more amusing... seeing the folks who are actually convinced SMG will sell poorly, or seeing those folks believe that the rest of you guys are serious in "agreeing" with them.

donny2112

Notorious_Roy said:
It's sell a couple of million copies, easily. Anyone thinking it won't is simply retarded.

Japan-GameCharts:
Super Mario 64 - 1,639,914
Super Mario Sunshine - 789,989

homerdiscostu.jpg

"Did you know that Mario 3D console sales are down 52% between the previous two systems? If these trends continue... AAY!"

Culex

Banned
donny2112 said:
Japan-GameCharts:
Super Mario 64 - 1,639,914
Super Mario Sunshine - 789,989

"Did you know that Mario 3D console sales are down 52% between the previous two systems? If these trends continue... AAY!"

I'd be really surprised if it didn't outsell Sunshine in the first month.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
But seriously, as fun as this little "Mario am doomed" thing is, I'll just be pleased as punch if it outsells Sunshine. If it goes on to sell even further, then that's just icing.

Frillen

Even New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Party 8 didn't have any huge lines. Same with Brain Age and Animal Crossing.

But see where they are now...

NeonZ

DavidDayton said:
I'm not sure what's more amusing... seeing the folks who are actually convinced SMG will sell poorly, or seeing those folks believe that the rest of you guys are serious in "agreeing" with them.

To be fair, I thought they were all joking, but there have been no "off" moments since the last page.

Top Bottom