• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

mabuza said:
shouldn't they have released mario and sonic at you know, olympic time, when olympic fever is high? its like ea releasing fifa world cup 2010 in 2009. kinda stupid really.
Considering christmas shopping season is by far the biggest for video games and is just about to come up, no not stupid. Really.

ethelred

Phife Dawg said:
Considering christmas shopping season is by far the biggest for video games and is just about to come up, no not stupid. Really.

1. No, Christmas isn't the biggest for video games in Japan. New Year is.
2. By the time New Year rolls around, this game will have bombed so thoroughly that no one will even remember that it exists. This is way too early a release for a game to be caught up in the New Year wave.

Mario and Sonic bomba evidence part 2. Suck it, Deku.

AndoCalrissian said:
Er... much like iPod, I doubt the successor to DS will lack backwards compatibility for the original DS.

Also, I'd love to see the iPod Video software work on my pre-video iPod, or on my friend's 1st generation iPod. Even if that wasn't the case though, the original Nintendo DS and DS Lite have the same functionality, much like iPods from generation to generation (with some barriers).

Read the rest of my post, I already covered this.

Deku

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Mario and Sonic bomba evidence part 2. Suck it, Deku.

Read the rest of my post, I already covered this.

Hold on to that champagne. I was mocking you for bragging about 'being right' about one game doing poorly and in the same bresth expressing 'surprise' at another doing well. Both titles in question were rather non controversial in their expected performances.

The Olympics title is not one I particularly care about. It's rather the stupidity and condescension you displayed which prompted the response.

As for your iPod write up, there's a huge difference between comparing two different products in different industries --matching it feature and feature, and saying there's a similarity in the business strategy. I'm not sure why you feel compelled to go back in time to 2005 and drag out the same retarded counterpoints but the similarity in the business strategy is a fact. Whether the software format is this or that is rather irrelevant.

So you still haven't figured out what I actually said about GH3? I was surprised at its online activity. If I was surprised by its sales I would have said so in the NPD thread and not the WFC thread. Maybe the third time will be the charm for you grasping this.

BTW, you call that bragging? "Mario and Sonic is a bomba like I said?"? whoaaaa. Seems like a passing remark to me. I wasn't even directly speaking to anyone.

:lol

I don't even know what you're getting at in the iPod retort. Of course the business strategy is similar, but once again you seem to be reading my posts with the eyes of a 14 year old and totally missing my point. I was clearly saying that they'd follow the iPod strategy of repackaging hardware with functionality tweaks, while sticking with their own battle plan of not pushing out totally new hardware when they don't have to and not releasing a console that's a rehash of their last one with better graphics. I look forward to repeating this to you again tomorrow, like I had to with my GH3 comment.

I don't know who you think I'm aiming to please, I don't think I'm particularly noticeable around here. But I see you've edited out that particular flame.

edit: I think the real truth of it is that you think I'm an "asshole who spams GAF" and you saw your opportunity to bite off on me in that thread. Good night :)

ethelred said:
1. No, Christmas isn't the biggest for video games in Japan. New Year is.
2. By the time New Year rolls around, this game will have bombed so thoroughly that no one will even remember that it exists. This is way too early a release for a game to be caught up in the New Year wave.
I know, it's easier to refer to as christmas shopping season though (being released worldwide and everything). That's why I said it's round the corner whereas in the west it already started (1 month). All the sales picked up during christmas shopping season only ad up to what they can achieve during the olympics. I mean it's Sega (Nintendo in Japan) we're talking about so they may not try to push it during the olympics but I doubt it would have sold better if it was released during the olympics and not prior.

Plus this is not a hardcore game, so not a lot of people who will buy it knows it exists atm anyway. Re-launch it during the olympics and get additional sales.

Lobster

Banned
Just imagine if Mario and Sonic sold 200k second day :lol Has something like that ever happened?

A game bombing first day but selling omg ammounts second day?

Dahbomb

Lobster said:
Just imagine if Mario and Sonic sold 200k second day :lol Has something like that ever happened?

You need to stop with the pipe dreams, it was cute at first but now it's getting annoying.

As for your question goes, no.

linsivvi

Stumpokapow said:
I honestly expect the DS successor to have GCN-level hardware. It'll still use cards though, as card sizes drop. I expect 8 and 16 Gigabit cards will be the sweet spot price-wise when the DS followup is released, which is 1-2 Gigabytes, which will allow for as much as the GCN.

Just a thought. If Nintendo's next handheld can be at the GCN-level hardware, why not make it Wii-level hardware instead? As long as they hold off its release for a few years, it seems quite feasible.

Youd think one day Nintendo would try to make a handheld that wasn`t easily pirateable. That's where they could do better. OF course if they make money on the hardware they may not care

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
linsivvi said:
Just a thought. If Nintendo's next handheld can be at the GCN-level hardware, why not make it Wii-level hardware instead? As long as they hold off its release for a few years, it seems quite feasible.

I know one thing though. If they severely compromise sound quality with their next handheld as well, I will be very disappointed. I really don't want to listen to mediocre-quality samples in games while seeing GC/Wii graphics.

Mato

Since I've been out of touch with reality, may I ask, is there a reason for the low DS and Wii sales? (low considering how manic they were in the past)
Is there a shortage, are they holding back for the holiday or something?

cvxfreak

Lobster said:

Everyone thought Biohazard 4 on PS2 bombed when it sold 40K on day one. Then it debuted at 240K.

Mato said:
Since I've been out of touch with reality, may I ask, is there a reason for the low DS and Wii sales? (low considering how manic they were in the past)
Is there a shortage, are they holding back for the holiday or something?

No shortages at all. Simply 11 weeks ago, without a solid reason, Wii and DS went down at the same time. Why ?

Hypothesis of the GAF: end of crazy demand, interest down, really no games after Mario Party 8, fad vanishing........

cvxfreak said:
Everyone thought Biohazard 4 on PS2 bombed when it sold 40K on day one. Then it debuted at 240K.

Yeah, but seriously, it is an isolated case. What is the real probability that Mario & Sonic sells well if during its first day it bombs like that ? It almost never happens. You can observe that more often with non-games.

The reality is that this overdose of Mario-spinoff games and Sonic spinoff-games are destroying the franchises in Japan.

Frillen

Lobster said:

Brain Training sold 30k first week, and sits today at over 3,5 Mill. But that's Brain Training.

cvxfreak

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, but seriously, it is an isolated case. What is the real probability that Mario & Sonic sells well if during its first day it bombs like that ? It almost never happens. You can observe that more often with non-games.

The reality is that this overdose of Mario-spinoff games and Sonic spinoff-games are destroying the franchises in Japan.

I thought it would have done better considering that only it, SMG and Wii Fit are Nintendo's Wii games for the holiday. It could pick up and I wouldn't doubt the possibility of the game returning to the charts in August 2008, but yeah, it's a bad start.

andthebeatgoeson

The Innocent X said:
Youd think one day Nintendo would try to make a handheld that wasn`t easily pirateable. That's where they could do better. OF course if they make money on the hardware they may not care
Did you mean, Sony? Cuz I wasn't aware that pirates where a big issue with the DS. They still make games on ROMs, right? That's a lot better than including a memory disk and an invitation for everyone to change the firmware.

skinnyrattler said:
Did you mean, Sony? Cuz I wasn't aware that pirates where a big issue with the DS. They still make games on ROMs, right? .

Er.. For the price of a single game you can get a flash cart you can fit 32 games on. No hardware mods required, only a computer with the internet and a USB port

DS piracy is rife everywhere

ethelred said:
By the time New Year rolls around, this game will have bombed so thoroughly that no one will even remember that it exists. This is way too early a release for a game to be caught up in the New Year wave.
There are plenty of examples of games released in early-mid November that get a second wind closer to the new year, though few with unimpressive first weeks.

Magic Taizen is one. Came out 2006-11-16, had a 23K first week, and was at 164K by the end of the year.
True Swing Golf wasn't exactly a roaring success, but it released 2005-11-07, sold 5K its first week, and had nearly quadrupled that at 19K by the end of the year.

Most that stand out started strong, though, like Kirby Squeak Squad or Mario Party 4.

ethelred

JoshuaJSlone said:
There are plenty of examples of games released in early-mid November that get a second wind closer to the new year, though few with unimpressive first weeks.

Magic Taizen is one. Came out 2006-11-16, had a 23K first week, and was at 164K by the end of the year.
True Swing Golf wasn't exactly a roaring success, but it released 2005-11-07, sold 5K its first week, and had nearly quadrupled that at 19K by the end of the year.

Yes, and as Moor Angol has oft pointed out, Magic Taizen did that at about 5 yen in the most budget of all budget bins. And as for True Swing Golf? Come on. 19k is not a success at all. "Quadrupling" is not an impressive term to toss about when you're dealing with such small numbers. It could have even -- gasp! -- quintuppled and it still wouldn't amount to much.

Sonic & Mario will certainly sell (a bit) more between now and the first week in January. It's still going to end up as a raging failure in Japan.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Most that stand out started strong, though, like Kirby Squeak Squad or Mario Party 4.

Well, I'm pretty clearly not talking about games that are greeted with a warm reception initially and then bolster that early success with continued success fed by positive word of mouth.

Lobster said:

22573726.jpg

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The Innocent X said:
Youd think one day Nintendo would try to make a handheld that wasn`t easily pirateable. That's where they could do better
Arguably Nintendo's approach of not doing anything and just leaving piracy easy is better then Sony's.
All Sony's efforts to stop piracy on PSP only served to expose the problem to wide public, as opposed to containing it.

Case in point on what I'm talking about:
skinnyrattler said:
Did you mean, Sony? Cuz I wasn't aware that pirates where a big issue with the DS. They still make games on ROMs, right? .

ethereld said:
Come on. 19k is not a success at all. "Quadrupling" is not an impressive term to toss about
A cheap ripoff of MinnaNoGolf - in Japan, not published by Nintendo on a Nintendo console AND a PC port - I think it probably did as good as developer expected.

ethelred said:
Well, I'm pretty clearly not talking about games that are greeted with a warm reception initially and then bolster that early success with continued success fed by positive word of mouth.
Yeah, those are the rule to which a potential M&S boost would be the exception.

Speaking of which, though, SMG could be the one in such a position this year. Mario Party 4 and Kirby Squeak Squad are both early November releases with sub-200K first weeks that ended near 700K for the year. Looking back, it's the rare Nintendo late-October/early-November release which doesn't get a boost. Like Eternal Darkness.

Fafalada said:
A cheap ripoff of MinnaNoGolf - in Japan, not published by Nintendo on a Nintendo console AND a PC port - I think it probably did as good as developer expected.
I think you're getting mixed up here. True Swing Golf was an original Nintendo-published T&E Soft-developed DS game. Probably you're thinking of Super Swing Golf on Wii,

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think you're getting mixed up here. True Swing Golf was an original Nintendo-published T&E Soft-developed DS game. Probably you're thinking of Super Swing Golf on Wii,

Yeah, but anyway JJ, don't dream like Lobster does. The launch for a game says a lot of thing about its future. It is really hard for a game who starts bad to sell well in the long term. Maybe Super Mario Galaxy has some possibilities even after these disappointing, but not desastrous numbers, but M&S not at all.

In the past, only few games reached very successfull levels with a very slow start. The first Pokémon on GameBoy or Brain Training on DS for example. But they are isolated cases. Anyway, the first week will tell us more, but the 4 millions whom Sega was talking about was pure crap since the beginning IMO. Mario & Sonic will be lucky to reach 500k WW on Wii. DS is another story, but I still don't expect big numbers...

CoolTrick

Banned
As for your iPod write up, there's a huge difference between comparing two different products in different industries --matching it feature and feature, and saying there's a similarity in the business strategy. I'm not sure why you feel compelled to go back in time to 2005 and drag out the same retarded counterpoints but the similarity in the business strategy is a fact. Whether the software format is this or that is rather irrelevant.

Exactly.

ethelred

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, but anyway JJ, don't dream like Lobster does. The launch for a game says a lot of thing about its future. It is really hard for a game who starts bad to sell well in the long term. Maybe Super Mario Galaxy has some possibilities even after these disappointing, but not desastrous numbers, but M&S not at all.

In the past, only few games reached very successfull levels with a very slow start. The first Pokémon on GameBoy or Brain Training on DS for example. But they are isolated cases. Anyway, the first week will tell us more, but the 4 millions whom Sega was talking about was pure crap since the beginning IMO. Mario & Sonic will be lucky to reach 500k WW on Wii. DS is another story, but I still don't expect big numbers...

Josh doesn't think Sonic & Mario is going to pull in big numbers. He's being academic.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Mario & Sonic will be lucky to reach 500k WW on Wii. DS is another story, but I still don't expect big numbers...

Disagree- M&S will do very well in N.A and Europe.

Phife Dawg said:

I agree with mabuza, releasing now Mario & Sonic is stupid, EA releases FIFA World Cup in november or in june ??

Moor-Angol said:
I agree with mabuza, releasing now Mario & Sonic is stupid, EA releases FIFA World Cup in november or in june ??
April. It's also a series though and gets yearly revisions (the main Fifa series). It's not really comparable. Do you think M&S would sell more if it was released next year instead of this year before the holiday rush?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kyoufu said:
So with the decent WE2008 PS3 sales, will this be another week where PS3 > Wii in Japan?

It will be interesting. My instinct is Wii will be back on top, but it should be close.

Lobster

Banned
Loudninja said:
so yeah, they may beat them this week

I dunno. The people who bought those WE could be the Ps3 owners not new people buying Ps3s.

Kind of like the people who bought SMG were the people who already own a Wii.

avaya

SMG not selling gangbusters was to be expected. Wii's market doesn't buy games like that. They reached out to people who don't care for traditional games. So I don't understand why people are saying they don't think WiiFit won't do well.

WiiFit fits the same demographic that Wii Sports does. WiiFit will be massive.

Top Bottom