• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

Lobster

Banned
avaya said:
SMG not selling gangbusters was to be expected. Wii's Japanese market doesn't buy games like that. They reached out to people who don't care for traditional games. So I don't understand why people are saying they don't think WiiFit won't do well.

WiiFit fits the same demographic that Wii Sports does. WiiFit will be massive.

fixed.

Kyoufu said:
So with the decent WE2008 PS3 sales, will this be another week where PS3 > Wii in Japan?
Hard to say. The 40 GB effect seems much less after the first day, but we can't tell what kind of continuing effect this would have on a "normal" week yet. Here are PS3 hardware numbers the weeks of previous big games.

Week of Gundam Musou
MC: 44,000
Fam: 46,924

Week of Hot Shots Golf 5
MC: 28,820
Fam: 38,322

Week of Bladestorm
MC: 18,068
Fam: 16,816

The other major PS3 titles either launched along the initial hardware or the 40 GB. If PS3 had another Gundabump type week, and Wii continued to sit in the ~35K range, it's possible PS3 could best it. However, this week is also one where we'll probably start to notice the holiday upswing, so how that effects both systems could be the most important thing.

Loudninja

Lobster said:
I dunno. The people who bought those WE could be the Ps3 owners not new people buying Ps3s.

Kind of like the people who bought SMG were the people who already own a Wii.

Yeah, thats very possible.

avaya said:
SMG not selling gangbusters was to be expected. Wii's market doesn't buy games like that. They reached out to people who don't care for traditional games. So I don't understand why people are saying they don't think WiiFit won't do well.

WiiFit fits the same demographic that Wii Sports does. WiiFit will be massive.

Wait, where is that "Japanese retailers reserve 1.5 million copies of SMG" thread when you need it? I think you should take a look.

avaya

gregor7777 said:
Wait, where is that "Japanese retailers reserve 1.5 million copies of SMG" thread when you need it? I think you should take a look.

I'm not one of those who expected it to do well. Wii in Japan is female gamers and retired gamers who were enticed back for something a little different, something not otaku.

I still don't understand why people were thinking SMG could even approach WiiSports, they were some of the same people who were syaing that Wii was reaching out to new demographics. That never seemed logical to me.

From personal experience in the UK, a lot of the people I know who have Wii's here are women and they find the traditional Nintendo stuff/traditional games unappealing. They couldn't care less.

It is useless to deny it: Galaxy disappointed in Japan. A lot. If Wii Fit disappoint either, things could turn really interesting (or depressing, depending from the angle you see it).

But, the big difference is that all pre-signs show that Wii Fit is going to be a success. Big marketing behind, interest from the consumer, good showing at the retailer, and it is the right game for the casual audience.

The probabilities that it will become a success in Japan are high. The big question now is that if it will drive hardware's sales as Wii Sports did.

[Nintex]

WiiFit won't dissapoint, a 3D Mario just isn't popular with the Japanese crowd. Motion sickness could be a reason as well, that's why most FPS games bomb in Japan, it seems that it's a far bigger issue there. SMG was made for the western market, just look at the US and EU charts.

ccbfan

Not to be sexist or anything but the typical female is pretty much the worst consumer base you want for a video game console.

I think most of us with 20+ year old sisters and girlfriends would know. They buy stuff, wear or use it once or twice and then never use it again.

My GF has over 30 pairs of shoes. Five which she wears regularly. 20 where she wore less than 3 times. To make matters worse she continues to buy shoes. My sister is the same way except she has over 50 pairs.

My sister also has a Wii she bought on the whim for Wii sports, right now its in her closet next to the Taboo board game. I think Wii has too many of this type of fans. To them its nothing more than a glorified board game.

farnham

Banned
ccbfan said:
Not to be sexist or anything but the typical female is pretty much the worst consumer base you want for a video game console.

I think most of us with 20+ year old sisters and girlfriends would know. They buy stuff, wear or use it once or twice and then never use it again.

My GF has over 30 pairs of shoes. Five which she wears regularly. 20 where she wore less than 3 times. To make matters worse she continues to buy shoes. My sister is the same way except she has over 50 pairs.

My sister also has a Wii she bought on the whim for Wii sports, right now its in her closet next to the Taboo board game. I think Wii has too many of this type of fans. To them its nothing more than a glorified board game.
similar things could be said about the PS2 though

I know many people that bought PS2 solely to play Winning Eleven or Sing Star

they dont have any games but WE (or Fifa) or SIng Star (of course they own 3 to 4 versions of that games)

Lobster said:
Half the 1.5 million.

Was it 750,000? My mistake then, I couldn't find the thread.

Still, my point stands. If you can find it, have a look. People were expecting it to explode. Halo-type explosions.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
It is useless to deny it: Galaxy disappointed in Japan. A lot. If Wii Fit disappoint either, things could turn really interesting (or depressing, depending from the angle you see it).

But, the big difference is that all pre-signs show that Wii Fit is going to be a success. Big marketing behind, interest from the consumer, good showing at the retailer, and it is the right game for the casual audience.

The probabilities that it will become a success in Japan are high. The big question now is that if it will drive hardware's sales as Wii Sports did.

Yeah, I'll buy into the Wii-Fit sales hype.

It hits on exactly the same audience that Brain Age does. It will be huge.

ethelred

ccbfan said:

"Not to be sexist, but hey, did you guys know I'm sexist?"

justjohn said:
according to sinobi, wii fit preorders are in the 150,000 to 300000 range. isnt that kinda low?
I think that's what most of us were expecting. There are still a lot of barriers to the game being a massive seller by the normal metric, so anyone predicting north of 300k for an opener is really estimating high.

Parl

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think that's what most of us were expecting. There are still a lot of barriers to the game being a massive seller by the normal metric, so anyone predicting north of 300k for an opener is really estimating high.

I'll stick with my 340k prediction, which I feel is optimistic, but there isn't much integrity in changing it because of new information or because I've thought about it more.

Lobster

Banned
ccbfan said:

No. Females account for most purchases around the world. You DEFINITELY want the female consumer base on your video game console.

Nintendo doesn't care if shes not buying a game. The thing that matters is that she bought a Wii.

ethelred

Lobster said:
No. Females account for most purchases around the world. You DEFINITELY want the female consumer base on your video game console.

Nintendo doesn't care if shes not buying a game. The thing that matters is that she bought a Wii.

I really think we're at the point where people should need to be licensed to participate in these threads.

Lobster

Banned
ethelred said:
I really think we're at the point where people should need to be licensed to participate in these threads.

Its true though. Females do account for most purchases around the world.

ccbfan said:

Hello there.

Please shut up with your crap.

Hearts, Hugs and Kisses,

Female Gamers worldwide

ccbfan said:

The thing with women's shoes is that they're a lot less neutral than men's. Certain shoes are only going to work with certain outfits, thus the need to own a sometimes large variety of them. I remember as a kid I only had one pair of shoes, and let me tell you, as a female, it was bleak.

Mudhoney

Lobster said:
They love money. She bought a Wii, hence money.
The least amount of money possible from a customer they can get isn't Nintendo's goal, I'm sure. They want them to buy accessories, Wii Points, Nintendo published games, and do it all again with their next console.

Mariah Carey said:
The thing with women's shoes is that they're a lot less neutral than men's. Certain shoes are only going to work with certain outfits, thus the need to own a sometimes large variety of them. I remember as a kid I only had one pair of shoes, and let me tell you, as a female, it was bleak.

You know, this is crap too. I know as many men as I do women that have a billion pairs of shoes.

gconsole

[Nintex] said:
WiiFit won't dissapoint, a 3D Mario just isn't popular with the Japanese crowd. Motion sickness could be a reason as well, that's why most FPS games bomb in Japan, it seems that it's a far bigger issue there. SMG was made for the western market, just look at the US and EU charts.

The game sell well in US and EU doesn't mean it specifically create for that market. SMG made from a very japanese design point of view. It's the same as SMB3. It's only that the japanese don't buy this kind of game anymore. The creator themself were anticipated to see the result of the game for the japanese market (because they knew that it will surely sell well in the western world no matter what).

Let's see the end of the year. I have a faith that SMG could push itself to 500K+ before 2008 and has some legs until mid of next year. It's still possible for the game to archeive 1M mark (just hope).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ps3 is a beast, ps3 is dominating in japan now, looks like retailers are pulling wii stock. i took a walk around shibuya and i saw like wii burnings. sorry bitches gaming is back

edit: this is a joke.

DSXBoy

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wii Fit just like BA will have incredibly long legs. I expect 1st week sales to be around 200k but it should be in the top 10 for many months due to word of mouth, so it will eventually sell millions.

DSXBoy

Y2Kev said:
ps3 is a beast, ps3 is dominating in japan now, looks like retailers are pulling wii stock. i took a walk around shibuya and i saw like wii burnings. sorry bitches gaming is back
This is bad news for Nintendo, they need to work harder to promote games at retail/shop floor.

gconsole said:
Let's see the end of the year. I have a faith that SMG could push itself to 500K+ before 2008 and has some legs until mid of next year. It's still possible for the game to archeive 1M mark (just hope).
Earlier I was comparing SMG to games like Kirby Squeak Squad and Mario Party 4, or other Nintendo early-November releases that get a second wind in late December. Through three weeks, SMG is ahead of those two games. From week 4 through the end of the year, KSS sold 432K, MP4 sold 383K with one fewer week. Even something like Pikmin, which was a late October release, sold 135K in the main 4 weeks of December alone. To get 500K, SMG would only need 125K for the whole of weeks 4-9. That's cake. 600K should be easy, too, unless SMG has particularly poor legs for a Nintendo game. 700K by the end of the year I'm not so sure of, but certainly it is within possibility.

Y2Kev said:

churchill.jpg

loosus

Banned
holy crap, he's right. i didn't wanna believe, but i was walking around watashi wa prefecture when a man dressed up as a pirate clown did a public burning of wii's. fuck

MrDaravon

loosus said:
holy crap, he's right. i didn't wanna believe, but i was walking around watashi wa prefecture when a man dressed up as a pirate clown did a public burning of wii's. fuck

:lol

Hey, was it the pirate guy from Famitsu!?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
justjohn said:
according to sinobi, wii fit preorders are in the 150,000 to 300000 range. isnt that kinda low?

No, considering that the thing is pretty darn expensive and huge.

Isn't the balance board like the size of 4 wii's combined.

Vinnk

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, considering that the thing is pretty darn expensive and huge.

Isn't the balance board like the size of 4 wii's combined.

It dosn't look quite that big. And DDR pads sold very well here(admittedly some time ago), so I don't that that is much of the problem.

Joe Molotov

justjohn said:

I'll bet Nintendo's deliberately withholding stock of WiiFit to make it sell better. Oh Nintendo, I'm on to your wily schemes now!

Innotech

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
You know, this is crap too. I know as many men as I do women that have a billion pairs of shoes.
I have but one pair of shoes. Because Im a cheap bastard. And I need to eat.

Innotech

Banned
also Id like to add that Nintendo markets the Wii in such a way that it doesnt lose any money on the hard.ware. Hence software attach ratios are not nearly as important to them as they would be for MS or Sony. Of course, Nintendo would still love for people to buy SMG and other first party titles, but if they just buy a wii and wii sports it wont hurt Nintendo much. It would piss me off a tad though.

Top Bottom