• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

Dahbomb

This thread has gone into overdrive... bets all around. :lol

Ardell_ic_gamble1_wideweb__470x280,0.jpg

Jirotrom

Phife Dawg said:
Too bad berieve is already banned, he was off to such a good start. Only the good die young :(.
why, was he banned... I would like to know as I would hate to get banned for the same reason.

Jirotrom said:
why, was he banned... I would like to know as I would hate to get banned for the same reason.
Just read his posts in the thread I think you get a pretty good idea. He was being a not really stealthy troll.

Lobster

Banned
Didn't Wii Sports only sell about 180k first week?

I forget, I'd love to see the first week numbers for Wii Play and Wii Sports again. It would give a good idea on how Wii Fit is going to do.

Kenka

Holy hell at the french Amazon charts this week. 23/25 is Nintendo and it would be 25/25 if Call of Duty were on Wii.

Also, predictions :

1st day : 211'000
1st week : 346'000
1st year 890'000
Lifetime : 1'850'000

Lobster said:

I forget, I'd love to see the first week numbers for Wii Play and Wii Sports again. It would give a good idea on how Wii Fit is going to do.
Using Moor-Angol's site (famitsu) 176.880 for sports and 171.888 for play.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah. It is low. Are you sure that these are retailer preorders and not consumer preorders ?
They saw EoJ sales and thought that peripherals don't sell.

I hope they order more though or my prediction is bunk :lol .

Lobster

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Using Moor-Angol's site (famitsu) 176.880 for sports and 171.888 for play.

mmm. This is why my predictions are low. These 2 games sold less then Zelda first week and went on to sell 2 million.

wazoo

Kenka said:
Holy hell at the french Amazon charts this week. 23/25 is Nintendo and it would be 25/25 if Call of Duty were on Wii.

In fact 41/50 of the Top50 are Nintendo related, the rest is mostly PC gaming and Sony PSP hardware ..

Rock_Man

The following graphs show the weekly sales of software (top) and hardware (bottom) from the launch of PS3 to the week ending November 11 2007. The sales are shown as shares of total sales of PS3, Wii and X360 just like in a pie chart. But instead of showing 108 different pie charts I give you all data in just one image. The data comes from Famitsu.

famitsu-ps3wiix360-071111.png

test_account

XP-39C²
Has anyone shown concern with the hugh jazz balance board for WiiFit? Ok, maybe its not that huge, but by the looks of it it seems to be just as big as the PS3 (altho thinner). I've seen people saying that one of the reasons why PS3 doesnt do so well in Japan is because of its size. I also heard that one japanese developer (or something) said that 360 didnt sell so well because of the big powersupply, altho i dont put too much belive into this hehe :p

test_account said:
Has anyone shown concern with the hugh jazz balance board for WiiFit? Ok, maybe its not that huge, but by the looks of it it seems to be just as big as the PS3 (altho thinner). I've seen people saying that one of the reasons why PS3 doesnt do so well in Japan is because of its size. I also heard that one japanese developer (or something) said that 360 didnt sell so well because of the big powersupply, altho i dont put too much belive into this hehe :p
This is why I'm being a bit cagey. Though unlike the 360 power supply and the PS3, I suppose the Wii Balance Board is a bit easier to slide away into storage when not in use. Still, it's definitely something predictors need to consider.

test_account

XP-39C²
Segata Sanshiro said:
This is why I'm being a bit cagey. Though unlike the 360 power supply and the PS3, I suppose the Wii Balance Board is a bit easier to slide away into storage when not in use. Still, it's definitely something predictors need to consider.

Ye, true, the balance board looks easier to put away when its not in use. I dont think the size matters that much when it comes to sales if the product itself looks really cool and interesting, but i'm just throwing it out there wondering about what others think about it :)

So, I'm posting this from the LiJiang province in China where it's absolutely freezing and all - and this was the first computer with internet access I could use.

Anyway, no time to comment on the thread as a whole, but in relation to the OP:

Software:

Nice RE:UC sales

SMG... :(

Hardware:

Go DS, go!

tanod

when is my burrito
I think for WiiFit, I've said 250k first week.

After that, I'm a lot less sure so maybe 150k first day and 1.5 - 2.0 million lifetime.

Fafalada said:
Yea you're right, I was thinking the Wii game.
Damn stupid generic titles - how is one supposed to tell them apart. Maybe if they think of a title that doesn't sound like most other games in the genre that would help sales too. :p
In this case I think we can blame the localizers. There'd be no mixing up of Nintendo Touch Golf (True Swing) and Swing Golf PangYa (Super Swing). Actually, checking Wikipedia just now, it turns out the European versions got names more like the originals, so let's specifically blame the American localizers.
Lobster said:

Yeah, but even if we were talking about completely equivalent games, the situations at launch and one year later are different enough that it'd be hard to use one to form an expectation for the other.
Lobster said:
mmm. This is why my predictions are low. These 2 games sold less then Zelda first week and went on to sell 2 million.
Nope. Twilight Princess was the #3 Wii launch game at 145,068 (Famitsu).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pureauthor said:
So, I'm posting this from the LiJiang province in China where it's absolutely freezing and all - and this was the first computer with internet access I could use.

You have time to go on vacation or visit relatives when you could be studying for your A-levels?!? :lol

Kosma

Banned
Pureauthor said:

Software:

Nice RE:UC sales

SMG... :(

Hardware:

Go DS, go!

Which city are you in?

Kosma

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Lijiang is a prefecture-city in Yunnan province... so there, unless he misromanized Zhejiang as Lijiang, which would be unusual.

That's what I was thinking too. Lijiang rocks, Mama Naxi youth hostel <3

Kosma

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Never been :D... I just spent my early college years as a Geography-CompSci dual major.

You should go man, Tiger Leaping Gorge is so impressive. Mama Naxi offers a warm bed for a mere 20 yuan (2 euro) a night (that includes breakfast and dinner), plus you get her to yell that's it's time to go to bed after 12 if you're still playing poker and drinking beer in the courtyard.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
oo Kosma oo said:
You should go man, Tiger Leaping Gorge is so impressive. Mama Naxi offers a warm bed for a mere 20 yuan (2 euro) a night (that includes breakfast and dinner), plus you get her to yell that's it's time to go to bed after 12 if you're still playing poker and drinking beer in the courtyard.

I'll definitely keep it in mind. I'm planning on doing the "spend a few months in Asia bumming around" in 2009 or 2010 and this sort of thing is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for :)

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
PhoenixDark said:
Wii Fit might sale 150,000 in a week at best. Nintendo should have released it before the PS3 became the dominant system

I thought they learned their lesson last generation about releasing unfinished products. :eek:

Lightning

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Wii Fit might sale 150,000 in a week at best. Nintendo should have released it before the PS3 became the dominant system
Since when did the PS3 become the dominant system? :lol

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
do casuals pay mind to release dates? will they really be excited enough to go and get it as soon as it comes out?

wiifit will have to have good legs to have an actual proven appeal to the casual crowd. the people who buy it in the first week are not going to be "casual" by any sense of the word.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
davepoobond said:
do casuals pay mind to release dates? will they really be excited enough to go and get it as soon as it comes out?

wiifit will have to have good legs to have an actual proven appeal to the casual crowd. the people who buy it in the first week are not going to be "casual" by any sense of the word.
Unless they're walking through a store and see one of those demos cvxfreak posted and decide to pick it up right away.

Casual games can start low and keep selling consistently, yes, but that doesn't mean they can't start huge. Brain Age started slow, but due to its popularity Brain Age 2 was highly anticipated and sold over 400K its first week.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Casual games can start low and keep selling consistently, yes, but that doesn't mean they can't start huge. Brain Age started slow, but due to its popularity Brain Age 2 was highly anticipated and sold over 400K its first week.

Yeah but Wii Fit is a new IP, although it shares similarity with Wii Sports in it's appeal, so I expect a medium sized launch 150-200k. Bigger then average for a new IP, but nothing like a sequel.

So when starting to put up software information, one of the first simple pages I made was one to list the information on all titles for reference. Fine at first, but since the first batch of information the number of games listed has increased more than a dozenfold, so the page has gotten too damn large; no need for a half-megabyte page when looking for a specific title. Rather than narrowing it down by splitting up by platform or whatnot, I put such possibilities for all fields, and it seems to work pretty swell. It's lacking a way to order your results, so currently it sticks with the default and orders them by platform alphabetically, then by release date. Some sample requests:

Games with the word Mario in the English title.
Games with a launch price in the 7000-7999 range, which would be more useful if so many games weren't listed without a price.
Sega games with the word "baseball" in the title.
GBA games with the word "Advance" in the title.
Konami games on PlayStation systems. _ is a single character wildcard, so I put in PS_ for the platform.
Sammy games released in March. % is the multicharacter wildcard, so I put in %-03-% for the date. YYYY-MM-DD format.

Vinnk

JoshuaJSlone said:
So when starting to put up software information, one of the first simple pages I made was one to list the information on all titles for reference. Fine at first, but since the first batch of information the number of games listed has increased more than a dozenfold, so the page has gotten too damn large; no need for a half-megabyte page when looking for a specific title. Rather than narrowing it down by splitting up by platform or whatnot, I put such possibilities for all fields, and it seems to work pretty swell. It's lacking a way to order your results, so currently it sticks with the default and orders them by platform alphabetically, then by release date. Some sample requests:

Games with a launch price in the 7000-7999 range, which would be more useful if so many games weren't listed without a price.
Konami games on PlayStation systems. _ is a single character wildcard, so I put in PS_ for the platform.
Sammy games released in March. % is the multicharacter wildcard, so I put in %-03-% for the date. YYYY-MM-DD format.

Simply amazing. So much imformation. This will be a very useful tool for future MC threads. But be careful, fanboys really hate facts, they get in the way of their opinions.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Historically, I don't think I've ever seen an actual preorder number for a game in Japan, it has always been retail preorders.

Most likely this is a reaction to Mario Galaxy.

Then again, I doubt this is the kind of game people will preorder.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
SMG:
Code:
Famitsu 	2007-10-29 	1 	256,341 	256,341
Famitsu 	2007-11-05 	3 	78,349 	        334,690

MP8:
Code:
Famitsu 	2007-07-23 	1 	282,389 	282,389
Famitsu 	2007-07-30 	1 	147,084 	429,473
Famitsu 	2007-08-13 	1 	230,154 	659,627

Tears.

Tiktaalik

JoshuaJSlone said:

holy shit

apujanata

Edit : Just noticed that Joshua already answered the point.

Updated Prediction for Wii Fit

first week sales :

Code:
Satter          : 600K.
donny2112       : 400K - 500K.
schuelma        : 400K.
xisiqomelir     : 400K.
kenka           : 346K.
apujanata       : 333K - 375K.
charlequin      : 326K.
Frillen         : 300K - 350K (from 400K - 500K).
riskychris      : 300K.
Phife Dawg      : 300K.
Lucky           : 252K.
tanod           : 250K (from 400K).
iidesuyo        : 240K.
justchris       : 225K.
Moor-Angol      : 225K.
Cooltrick       : 200K.
Lobster         : 200K. (from 180K)
PantherLotus    : 175K.
Segata Sanshiro : 170K (from 325k).
sphinx          : 165K
First children  : 160K
PhoenixDark     : 150K.
Nolan.          : 130K.
taconinja       : 100K
zombie crimes   : 70K - 100K.

LTD
Code:
ksamedi         : 5 Million
Lobster         : 2.3 Million
kenka           : 1.85 Million
tanod           : 1.5 - 2.0 Million

I don't track First day (since it is not certain that we will get first day #) and first year :D

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
sp0rsk said:
Too human?

Dennis Dyack?!

I'll throw in my WiiFit prediction. Never done any of them before, but what the hell?

Week? 350K.

LTD? 2mil.

Top Bottom