• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

I noticed Wii price on amazon.jp quickly raised up, maybe due to a high demand.

I'd like to have some reports from our friends Vinnk and cvxfreak about the argument (or whoever else is living in Japan)

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
apujanata said:
The official prediction topic is up

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8726920

Please post your prediction there, instead of here. If you post it here again, I will ignore them.

I am sorry that I have derailed this topic, and cause so many OT post in this topic.

don't feel bad, I was the one urging that earlier schmuck to put his number-cruncher where his mouth was. Proverbial mouth, I guess, since we're all typing.

justjohn said:
they need to bring gundam mosou 2 in 08. its practically a cash cow for them now.
A sequel from Koei? As if.
justjohn said:
they need to bring gundam mosou 2 in 08. its practically a cash cow for them now.
Release yet another Gundam game? Doesn't seem like Bandai's thing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
A sequel from Koei? As if.

Release yet another Gundam game? Doesn't seem like Bandai's thing.

Couldn't decide which snarky reply you wanted to post, so you went with both? :lol

apujanata

Vinnk said:
TOTALS:
Wii: 18 (last week 21)
PS3: 75 (last week 62)
B:UC: 5 (last week 24)
Mario&Sonic: 56

NOTES:

4. PS3 is being positioned as the system to buy for Christmas. In Yamada Denki they set up a big Christmas tree with PS3 systems underneath it. The staff was also really talking up the system. This one guy came in to buy the PS2 version of Winning 11, but was talked into buying a PS3 by the salesperson. This is very different from the atmosphere a few months ago.

7. I have been hearing about massive in-store pushes for WiiFit but there is nothing like that in my neck of the woods. Just a few posters up in the department stores. However, the TV ads have apparently been making an impression. My Fiancée had no idea that SMG was coming out, but she and even her Mom know about WiiFit. It seems the ads are being showing during a lot of the programs that have high female viewing figures.

8. As for DQIV there were ample copies of the game at every store. But just during my short time checking out the stores, I saw a lot being bought.

9. Mario&Sonic didn't seem to generate a lot of interest. No one was watching the video playing in the kiosk; no one was picking up the game case. According to the staff at Wanpaku, no one was buying it either.

10. This week the local Otaku are talking once again about Nights. One guy is also pretty stoked about No More Heroes. He bought a Wii this week in preparation for it. These guys aren't really into Winning 11. None of them bought it. One guy is trying to decide if he wants to re-buy a 360. He bought it for Blue Dragon and sold it back after he finished the game. He wants to play Ace Combat but is low on cash.

11. Biohazard: Umbrella Chronicles is very hard to find these days. The Zapper bundle is impossible to find. Several stores have also sold out of the Ghost Squad Zapper bundle and my guess is that this was influenced by Biohazard.

Nice to hear PS3 is being pushed, and being bought. I hope that it can became my second next-gen console (after Wii).

Go Wii Fit, and DQIV.
Poor Mario & Sonic.
B:UC should do well, and Capcom might consider releasing another RE game on Wii.

First week sales (DS figure from japan-gamecharts.com):

Code:
NDS Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 15610
NDS Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 15356
PSP Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles 20458
Very nice PSP S/W sales, especially when compared to DS S/W sales (for this series)

cvxfreak

Totally unrelated, but I went to Bic in Shinjuku the other day and they have quite a few brand new copies of the GC versions of Biohazard 2, Biohazard 3 and Biohazard CODE: Veronica Kanzenban. Definitely didn't see those prior to the other day. Wonder where they came from. They were selling at near the original 4800 Yen MSRPs from all those years ago, too.

hirokazu

cvxfreak said:
Totally unrelated, but I went to Bic in Shinjuku the other day and they have quite a few brand new copies of the GC versions of Biohazard 2, Biohazard 3 and Biohazard CODE: Veronica Kanzenban. Definitely didn't see those prior to the other day. Wonder where they came from. They were selling at near the original 4800 Yen MSRPs from all those years ago, too.
I saw a brand new Smash Bros. DX at a Bic Camera store for 9800yen when I was there in July. WTF is up with that?

gkryhewy

cvxfreak said:

Actually, RE2 and 3 showed up recently on amazon.com for 29.99 too. RE2 is still available from Amazon, and RE3 is available for 24.99 from a marketplace seller. I'm interested in RE2, but I'm hesitant at 29.99.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
cvxfreak said:

Firefighters looking through the ruins of the Capcom warehouse (tragic price collapse caused by Zack and Wiki... unavoidable, really) found copies amongst the bodies. Eichiro Sasaki died so that you could get brand new copies of the GC BH games. Honour his sacrifice, brave Capcom soldier!

enishi

cvxfreak said:

Capcom recently re-releases GC Bio 2, 3, CV at a lower price. I think they noticed that there are new Bio fans getting Wii, who didn't touch any Bio before...

cvxfreak said:
http://www.dengekionline.com/soft/ranking.html
2007年11月12日~11月18日
#43 (34 week before) PS2 Biohazard 4 (The Best!) (released 24th August 2006)

webshark

if anyone is interested in some longer term sales trends....

NewPicture4.png

tanod

when is my burrito
webshark said:
oops, sorry, didnt see it in the first 400 ish posts here. thats what i get for not checking every page

You're new so have some tips:

Read the thread. Long threads (unless it's a mega-thread with 1500+ posts) aren't an excuse to rehash something that has been posted and discussed to death already.

Lots of posters have certain things that they do on their own personal time for the benefit of the GAF community and do so on a regular basis. For example, Cheesemeister does the MC threads, PantherLotus gives us nice charts for the MC threads and I do the weekly PS Store thread.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
tanod said:

Read the thread. Long threads (unless it's a mega-thread with 1500+ posts) aren't an excuse to rehash something that has been posted and discussed to death already.

Lots of posters have certain things that they do on their own personal time for the benefit of the GAF community and do so on a regular basis. For example, Cheesemeister does the MC threads, PantherLotus gives us nice charts for the MC threads and I do the weekly PS Store thread.

Don't be a dick. It's a cool chart. And it's pretty.

webshark

tanod said:

yeah i know what you mean there, i didnt mean to step on someone else's turf, but when i saw 900 replies, i like, there is no way i am reading through all that. i knew cheese did the numbers and the little pie graph, but i had never noticed panther's graphs, guess i just never followed the thread long enough.

oh, and thanks to you other guys who liked it :)

tanod

when is my burrito
John Dunbar said:
Don't be a dick. It's a cool chart. And it's pretty.

I didn't say his graph looked bad. It looks fine.

Also, I didn't mean to say that he was stepping on people's turf (even though I implied as much). I just wanted to make the point that a thread with 1000 posts isn't that big in GAF terms.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
webshark said:
heh, at the forum im coming from, 200 posts is a big thread.....

As punishment, read the official Uncharted and Super Mario Galaxy thread. Each and every single post. Then go out and buy the games and start posting about how awesome those games are.

webshark

reilo said:
As punishment, read the official Uncharted and Super Mario Galaxy thread. Each and every single post. Then go out and buy the games and start posting about how awesome those games are.

well ive already gotten all 242 stars in galaxy and loved every second, i dont actually own a ps3 so buying uncharted would be a little pointless. right now im working on Fire Emblem tho.

tanod

when is my burrito
reilo said:

I did say mega-threads (officials and 1500+) are excluded. :p

webshark said:
well ive already gotten all 242 stars in galaxy and loved every second, i dont actually own a ps3 so buying uncharted would be a little pointless. right now im working on Fire Emblem tho.
Mario Galaxy has 120 stars, unless you're talking about ("Big" SMG spoiler)
you played it through again as Luigi.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Clearly you still havan't seen the Super Smash Bros. Brawl official thread.

Is that even the official thread? I mean, it was started like 6 months early :lol

andthebeatgoeson

webshark said:
Screw the others. Keep posting charts and ideas. Some guy begot Pantherlotus who begot webshark.

Culex said:
I can't wait for early Famitsu numbers. Hopefully, Wii sales don't nosedive in anticipation of Wii Fit.
I don't see why they'd do that. If it was coming in a new Wii bundle or there was a scheduled price drop along it, sure, but there's not really a reason a person who otherwise would want a Wii this week would say "I should wait."

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't see why they'd do that. If it was coming in a new Wii bundle or there was a scheduled price drop along it, sure, but there's not really a reason a person who otherwise would want a Wii this week would say "I should wait."

Instead, it would be interesting to see if Dragon Quest IV moved some additional DS units, considering that it will be a 340k++ first week sales.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Instead, it would be interesting to see if Dragon Quest IV moved some additional DS units, considering that it will be a 340k++ first week sales.
So here's a fun SQL query. It takes every week where a DS game sold over 400K according to Famitsu, and then gives us the Famitsu and Media Create DS+DSL hardware sales for the week.

The least DS ever sold at such a time was this September with the Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon games, where DS sales were under 80K.

Potential problems with the method: Since these are more likely to occur in the holidays where Famitsu combines some weeks. In these cases if we don't know the actual weekly split, for software I leave the weekly value empty and just update the LTD, so it's possible some qualifying games are getting missed. For hardware, though, I evenly split the two-week Famitsu number in half since my original chart methods count on there being exactly one number per week, so the hardware values there are somewhat less accurate.

loosus said:
What were PS2's Japanese market shares around the same timeframe (I guess mid-to-late 2002)?
Could you expound on that? The timeframe is a bit in-between to be sure, so are you trying to look at PS2 at a DS/PSP age or a PS3/Wii age? And marketshare compared to lifetime sales of the other current consoles, or average weekly sales, or what?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
webshark said:
yeah i know what you mean there, i didnt mean to step on someone else's turf, but when i saw 900 replies, i like, there is no way i am reading through all that. i knew cheese did the numbers and the little pie graph, but i had never noticed panther's graphs, guess i just never followed the thread long enough.

oh, and thanks to you other guys who liked it :)

1. i don't have turf!

2. you don't have to read the whole thread, but it sure helps.

3. i really like your chart a lot, and encourage everybody else to do some also. the act of doing them gives one a perspective that isn't gained just by looking at them or just by seeing the numbers. it's a kenetic-visual-cognitive process that is really awesome and gives people a greater grasp of the topic at hand. also, your chart is good looking and easy to read, something far under-appreciated around here.

4. i would definitely encourage you to find a stat that you think shows something we haven't considered before. the ones i include follow things i find important. what new perspective can you bring with the same amount of info?

5. please, post more charts. :) everyone else needs to chill a little. none of us that do them claim to have any expertise over another and i know we all welcome eager sales-agers with open arms.

webshark

PantherLotus said:
1. i don't have turf!

2. you don't have to read the whole thread, but it sure helps.

3. i really like your chart a lot, and encourage everybody else to do some also. the act of doing them gives one a perspective that isn't gained just by looking at them or just by seeing the numbers. it's a kenetic-visual-cognitive process that is really awesome and gives people a greater grasp of the topic at hand. also, your chart is good looking and easy to read, something far under-appreciated around here.

4. i would definitely encourage you to find a stat that you think shows something we haven't considered before. the ones i include follow things i find important. what new perspective can you bring with the same amount of info?

5. please, post more charts. :) everyone else needs to chill a little. none of us that do them claim to have any expertise over another and i know we all welcome eager sales-agers with open arms.

heh thanks...i keep hearing horror stories about GAF strictness...

im actually sort of the unofficial chart guy at another forum so i figured i would throw one in here.

if anyone wants to see any of these each week, i would be happy to post them. i already make them anyways...

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The more charts the merrier.

And don't be put off about GAF's supposed strictness. Majority of longtime posters just enjoy intelligent posts and chatter, as long as you provide or at least support this notion then you'll be fine.

cashman

Banned
speedpop said:
The more charts the merrier.

And don't be put off about GAF's supposed strictness. Majority of longtime posters just enjoy intelligent posts and chatter, as long as you provide or at least support this notion then you'll be fine.

I know him from another place, he'll be fine.

back on topic: Why have I only heard of Mario party DS since yesterday, is it out in the US?

...I was going to tell you no and look for the release date, but checking Wikipedia it was apparently released in North America on November 19. I guess this forum just isn't the biggest into portable Mario Party.

Top Bottom