• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/18 - 2/24

donny2112

iidesuyo said:
no one would have expected the PSP to launch a comeback.

The ... PSP ... hasn't ... launched a "comeback." It found that it could not compete on the same battlefield as the DS (i.e. as mainly a video game player), and went off onto a different market (e.g. 1-seg tuner, focusing more on video capabilities, etc.). In fact, it's a lot like what Nintendo did with the Wii. They decided that it wasn't worth it to try to fight Microsoft and Sony with a straight up core video game machine and went in a different direction.

iidesuyo

donny2112 said:
The ... PSP ... hasn't ... launched a "comeback." It found that it could not compete on the same battlefield as the DS (i.e. as mainly a video game player), and went off onto a different market (e.g. 1-seg tuner, focusing more on video capabilities, etc.). In fact, it's a lot like what Nintendo did with the Wii. They decided that it wasn't worth it to try to fight Microsoft and Sony with a straight up core video game machine and went in a different direction.

So it did its way and came back. Something other machines in the past didn't do, they simply succeeded or not.

Besides, I would love to know what things like the 1-seg tuner really did to PSP sales. What are the attach rates?

donny2112

iidesuyo said:
Besides, I would love to know what things like the 1-seg tuner really did to PSP sales. What are the attach rates?

IIRC when it launched with the PSP Slim, it was something like 1/3 or 1/2 of the PSP Slims sold were sold with the 1-Seg tuner. It should be mentioned in that week's Media-Create thread. It was mentioned again a few weeks later as still being a big seller to buyers of the PSP Slim. When the DS version launched, it was online only and sold out instantly. 1-Seg broadcasts are apparently very popular in Japan.

That is just one of the "extra" features that have apparently kept the PSP Slim's hardware sales pretty high, though.

iidesuyo

Eteric Rice said:
We're likely going to see a new DS sometime this year. Didn't Nintendo say something about adding features to the DS?

Rumor says they're cutting the GBA compatibility. A hardware selling great in its third iteration would be another "never been before".

donny2112

iidesuyo said:
Rumor says they're cutting out Pokemon users who wanted to transfer their GBA Pokemon over as well as all GBA slot compatible games.

Clarified. In other words, they won't be cutting out GBA compatibility anytime soon. ;)

iidesuyo said:
No one knows what the future will bring. PS3 may sell like shit today, but that can change. Comparisons with the past are useless, the industry as a whole is still young. No one (very few) would have expected the Wii to roll over the PS3, no one would have expected the PSP to launch a comeback.

This has never been a good line of argument because it relies on an essential eliding of deeply meaningful distinctions. While the games industry is indeed "young," we've been through more than enough console transitions to draw meaningful patterns and rules of thumb from events that have occurred the same way over and over.

Both of the examples you cite took many people by surprise, but in each case they are the result of principles that make sense within the context of the video gaming market as we understand it. What that means is that we can still draw useful inference about future events.

It can make sense to debate the possibility of certain specific events, even if they seem unlikely on their face, and to take into account situations that did not exist in previous generations, but most rules have remained firmly in place. The way that console cost serves only as a negative incentive (and how that has harmed the PS3 worldwide), for example, is entirely consistent with previous generations. Similarly, the manner in which individual titles, even highly desirable ones, have produced only bumps rather than an ongoing increase in PS3 sales is also a familar pattern.

iidesuyo said:
Rumor says they're cutting the GBA compatibility.

Yes, extremely silly rumor.

A hardware selling great in its third iteration would be another "never been before".

Gameboy Color suggests that you are mistaken!

jarrod

Banned
iidesuyo said:
A hardware selling great in its third iteration would be another "never been before".
PS2 slim did rather well. GB micro did okay. Genesis 3 was a hit.

Actually, how many 3rd iterations have tanked?

Actually, why's it even matter when "comparisons with the past are useless"? :lol

jarrod

Banned
iidesuyo said:
???

The Slim revision released last november in Japan did nothing to improve PS2 sales.
Uh, the slim came out in 2004 and has done insanely well.

It's the PSX (ie: 2nd PS2 revision) that flopped.

iidesuyo said:
It bombed hard. Got mine for 29€ new last year.
It did okay for a limited time product (600k-ish in Japan iirc).

iidesuyo said:
Prolonged life a little bit, never brought it back to >SNES sales.
Wrong.... it outsold SNES the years in was on market actually.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
iidesuyo said:
???

The Slim revision released last november in Japan did nothing to improve PS2 sales.

ahahah

if i remember correctly, the PS2 Slimline itself outsold Gamecube's and Xbox's LTD, meaning without the first 4 years of sales, the PS2 outsold all of its competitors again, combined. (which should be pretty obvious if you just add stuff together)

iidesuyo

It's the PSX (ie: 2nd PS2 revision) that flopped.

The PSX was never a revision, it was a digital video recorder with a PS2 built in, never meant to replace the PS2 phat. Compare it to the Aiwa Mega CD or Panasonic Q (Game Cube Multimedia).

It did okay for a limited time product (600k-ish in Japan iirc).

Even Iwata mentioned that it "underperformed"...

Wrong.... it outsold SNES the years in was on market actually.

Hmmm... I'll believe you on this one since I don't have numbers :D

But still I can't believe the Genisis sold any significant number after 1995. Donkey Kong Country broke the Genesis' neck.

iidesuyo

davepoobond said:
ahahah

if i remember correctly, the PS2 Slimline itself outsold Gamecube's and Xbox's LTD, meaning without the first 4 years of sales, the PS2 outsold all of its competitors again, combined. (which should be pretty obvious if you just add stuff together)

Yes the PS2 Slim did that. But sales of the PS2 slim revision (last november) did not impress anyone.

donny2112 said:

Uhh, what? Nintendo machines have always been "core videogame machines," including the Wii. If anything, the 360 and PS3 are not core videogame machines.

Innotech

Banned
SunkisTim535 said:
Uhh, what? Nintendo machines have always been "core videogame machines," including the Wii. If anything, the 360 and PS3 are not core videogame machines.
this. MS and sony tried to make their consoles into multimedia devices. Nintendo just stuck with gaming. A different market of gaming, but still gaming.

donny2112

SunkisTim535 said:

"Blue Ocean"

They weren't mainly targeting the core audience of past generations, anymore. Would "core gamer video game machine" make it clearer to you?

donny2112 said:
"Blue Ocean"

They weren't mainly targeting the core audience of past generations, anymore. Would "core gamer video game machine" make it clearer to you?

Haha, what? What the hell is a "core gamer video game machine?" Last time I checked Blue Ocean is a videogame. Also the last time I checked, the only thing Wii does is play videogames. If anything, your argument just further makes your previous post wrong. In making the 360 and PS3 able to play movies, etc. Microsoft and Sony are trying to target markets outside of just gamers. Nintendo Wii plays games and thus targets nothing but gamers, while actually expanding the gaming market at the same time.

SunkisTim535 said:
Haha, what? What the hell is a "core gamer video game machine?" Last time I checked Blue Ocean is a videogame. Also the last time I checked, the only thing Wii does is play videogames. If anything, your argument just further makes your previous post wrong. In making the 360 and PS3 able to play movies, etc. Microsoft and Sony are trying to target markets outside of just gamers. Nintendo Wii plays games and thus targets nothing but gamers, while actually expanding the gaming market at the same time.

Bolded = wait what

Also, I really want to know what definition of 'core gamer video game machine' can exclude the 360 and PS3 while simultaneously including the Wii. The ability to do stuff unrelated to videogaming (which, in fact, is something the Wii possesses as well!) in no way detracts from its ability to play videogames, or the game library the machine posseses.

Your greatest fear is my greatest hope. Portables are damn near irrelevant to me.

Yeah? Well, that's 'cause you're stupid and ugly and have breath that smells like toad farts. So HA.

donny2112

@ SunkisTim535

:lol You're clueless. It's okay. Let me explain some background to you.

Blue Ocean:
Business term indicating a fresh market that doesn't already have a lot of competition. If you can get into this market, you can really do well.

Red Ocean:
Business term indicating a market with a lot of competition. (i.e. blood in the water) Here, your pool is limited to existing consumers, and you're just trying to fight it out for a larger piece of a slowly shrinking pie.

Just about every speech Reggie has done about the Wii has referenced the "Blue Ocean" concept. A now-banned poster here named Lapsed used to write paragraphs upon paragraphs from the book on the same subject here as he praised Nintendo's new approach to the video game market that was similar to the "Blue Ocean" strategy.

Sony and Microsoft are fighting over the previous generation's hardcore consumers (i.e. Red Ocean strategy). That's why shooters, racers, etc. do so very well on their machines.

Nintendo designed the Wii to appeal primarily to the non-hardcore consumer (e.g. people who've grown tired of video games (i.e. "lapsed" gamers), people who have never played video games (i.e. non-gamers)). This is the "Blue Ocean" that Microsoft and Sony can't/won't go after. That doesn't mean that the Wii can't appeal to the hardcore, but that the hardcore is no longer Nintendo's primary focus.

Microsoft and Sony's consoles focus on the core gamer (i.e. core gamer video game machine).

Nintendo's console focuses on the non-core gamer (i.e. everyone else), and, oh by the way, the core gamer can find a lot of good in it, too.

If you still don't get it, I really hope you take the time to go search Google/Wikipedia for "Blue Ocean" + Nintendo before posting about it again.

iidesuyo said:
No one knows what the future will bring. PS3 may sell like shit today, but that can change. Comparisons with the past are useless, the industry as a whole is still young. No one (very few) would have expected the Wii to roll over the PS3, no one would have expected the PSP to launch a comeback.

The PS3 needs a revision and price cut THIS YEAR, and things will become interesting again... if not, it's fucked.
Yay more waiting!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
SunkisTim535 said:
OMG :lol :lol :lol

I'm guessing you haven't frequented any sales threads over the past several months?

SunkisTim535 said:
Blue Ocean is Iwata's swimming pool.

:lol Haha, don't mind me. I thought you were referring to 'Endless Ocean' or 'Forever Blue', my mistake.

Sony and Microsoft are fighting over the previous generation's hardcore consumers (i.e. Red Ocean strategy). That's why shooters, racers, etc. do so very well on their machines.

Nintendo designed the Wii to appeal primarily to the non-hardcore consumer (e.g. people who've grown tired of video games (i.e. "lapsed" gamers), people who have never played video games (i.e. non-gamers)). This is the "Blue Ocean" that Microsoft and Sony can't/won't go after. That doesn't mean that the Wii can't appeal to the hardcore, but that the hardcore is no longer Nintendo's primary focus.

Microsoft and Sony's consoles focus on the core gamer (i.e. core gamer video game machine).

Nintendo's console focuses on the non-core gamer (i.e. everyone else), and, oh by the way, the core gamer can find a lot of good in it, too.

That's not what you originally said. You said the 360 and PS3 were "straight up core video game machines" and the Wii wasn't, which obviously isn't true. If what you actually meant was what you just wrote then that's fine. I agree with you.

donny2112

SunkisTim535 said:
That's not what you originally said. You said the 360 and PS3 were "straight up core video game machines" and the Wii wasn't, which obviously isn't true.

Okay, so now we're differing on the use of the term "straight up" and possibly "core." :lol

I meant what I said in my first post and every other post since this started. If you now see what I meant in that first post, that's good. Communication was accomplished.

:p

BishopLamont said:
There's no point labeling any console a "core" machine. They all have hardcore and casual games.

But, alas, they do not all draw the percentages of those hardcore and casual buyers equally.

donny2112 said:
Okay, so now we're differing on the use of the term "straight up" and possibly "core." :lol

I meant what I said in my first post and every other post since this started. If you now see what I meant in that first post, that's good. Communication was accomplished.

:p

But, alas, they do not all draw the percentages of those hardcore and casual buyers equally.
Ofcourse and that depends entirely on how many core and casual games there are and how attractive the consoles are to the casual.

Neo C.

donny2112 said:
Clarified. In other words, they won't be cutting out GBA compatibility anytime soon. ;)
According to Vinnk, the market of young kids is quite saturated. Of course, pokémon isn't only for kids, though I don't assume the redesign would completely replace the Lite but rather specifically target the older audience, where growth is still possible.

donny2112 said:
Blue Ocean:
Business term indicating a fresh market that doesn't already have a lot of competition. If you can get into this market, you can really do well.
It's pretty ironic: the so called blue ocean where Wii Sports and Wii Fit are going isn't completely new. More precisely, Sony was already in the "social gaming" with the PS2 (Phil Harrison), but they dropped the ball big time with the PS3.

donny2112 said:
While this is true, lots of people misunderstand Nintendo's doing. It needs clarification. Compared to the past, they haven't released less "core gamers' games", they just use their additional ressources ("additional" in comparison to the past) for creating new games without specifically targeting the core audience.

iidesuyo

Neo C. said:
It's pretty ironic: the so called blue ocean where Wii Sports and Wii Fit are going isn't completely new. More precisely, Sony was already in the "social gaming" with the PS2 (Phil Harrison), but they dropped the ball big time with the PS3.

Depends on the market. In Europe they were extremely successful, but they failed in other markets.

Looking at the Japanese EyeToy commercial from 2003, it has some resemblences to Wii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D_EniA3YZc

Then Nintendo made a console all about "social gaming" and pulled it through. The PS3 was meant to be a machine for both casuals and core gamers, but somehow this concept has a hard stance.

Diffense said:
There is still hope for PS3; when Bluray gets popular and piratable.
BR is already piratable. You can get a BR burner for 250 €. BRs are a bit too expensive as of now (around 8 €) but that would change if BR becomes popular. You can already get BR films on torrent sites. I don't know how that would help PS3 though - there are already cheaper BR players out there (around 300 €, you could probably get them even cheaper). And if you have a BR burner you might as well just play the stuff off of your PC and feed it to your TV (saves you the extra money). Don't know if the situation concerning prices etc. in Japan is comparable though.

If BR hits the mass market the price difference will be even bigger.

But PS3 will go nowhere, even if the numbers stay flat year on year. If by hope you mean hope of becoming Japan's No. 1 system, then the chances are slim to nill anyways.

Phife Dawg said:
BR is already piratable. You can get a BR burner for 250 €. BRs are a bit too expensive as of now (around 8 €) but that would change if BR becomes popular. You can already get BR films on torrent sites. I don't know how that would help PS3 though - there are already cheaper BR players out there (around 300 €, you could probably get them even cheaper). And if you have a BR burner you might as well just play the stuff off of your PC and feed it to your TV (saves you the extra money). Don't know if the situation concerning prices etc. in Japan is comparable though.

If BR hits the mass market the price difference will be even bigger.

But PS3 will go nowhere, even if the numbers stay flat year on year. If by hope you mean hope of becoming Japan's No. 1 system, then the chances are slim to nill anyways.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Blu-Ray won the war day one in Japan, so I don't see it helping the PS3 much as it hasn't helped it that much since the beginning.

Laguna

Banned
It won against HD-DVD (lol) but you know there is something called D-V-D on the market, which won´t be replaced for at least another 4 years from now. Some people just don´t get it that sales for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray Movies (even combined) are nothing against DVD sales, which translates to irrelevance . You have to wait several years before there will be a significant shift to Blu-Ray.

hey guys tomorrow i might sprout wings and be able to shoot lightning from my arse

sure it's never happened before but the human race is relatively young so hey

i mean, the dinosaurs made a wicked comeback

Diffense

PS3's Wii whipping isn't all that surprising.
Even less surprising was the DS thrashing PSP.

I wish I could find those threads where I said point-black that the latter would take place and where I claimed the Wii had an extremely high chance of upstaging PS3. If you forgot about the brand names and looked at the situation, you had to come to that conclusion.

The Wii has a wider appeal than PS3. I'd argue that the true hardcore, even if possessing a PS3, will probably have a Wii as well. In this scanario, PS3 is the niche console GCN was. The one fans of specific franchises own for the exclusive games they expect on it even though releases are sporadic.

Rolf NB

iidesuyo said:
???

Because it didn't offer a tangible advantage for consumers. You'd be hard-pressed for a reason to upgrade from an old PStwo to a new PStwo. The only difference is that you get rid of the power brick.
The space savings from the first PS2 to PStwo are much more significant, but still mostly a question of aesthetics.

With the GBA => GBA SP => GBmicro and the DS => DSlite transitions, there have been quite significant changes/advances in ergonomics. The revisions have become better, in ways that can be noticed every time you use them. If a next DS revision were to come out that offered tangible benefits in ergonomics, you bet it's going to be a huge success all over again.

Rolf NB

Diffense said:

I wish I could find those threads where I said point-black that the latter would take place and where I claimed the Wii had an extremely high chance of upstaging PS3. If you forgot about the brand names and looked at the situation, you had to come to that conclusion.

The Wii has a wider appeal than PS3. I'd argue that the true hardcore, even if possessing a PS3, will probably have a Wii as well. In this scanario, PS3 is the niche console GCN was. The one fans of specific franchises own for the exclusive games they expect on it even though releases are sporadic.
The analogy doesn't quite work, because in this new pairing, the PS3 versions of multiplatform games will be by far superior to Wii versions of the same games.
Strangely enough, few games are truly multiplatform across all consoles. De-facto "HD exclusives" (XBox/360/PC) on one side and de-facto Wii exclusives on the other are the norm now (notable exceptions: Guitar Hero, Lego Star Wars, Madden). Publishers seem reluctant to do it.

Diffense said:

Your logic and memory are both failing you here. The DS was proposed to be Nintendo's last stand against the oncoming threat of this new fangled PSP. Everyone and their grandparents were betting on the PSP to win, because of how useful the multimedia is, and how cool the machine looked. Looking back you can obviously say, "Oh no, I always thought the DS would win, and that the PSP was an underdog." Seriously though, no one believes you.

The Wii as a little different. Some die-hard Nintendo fans were predicting a repeat of what happened with the DS, but most people thought that one of the HD machines would win. Of course, now you can say PS3 is a niche console, because it has a smaller user base, but it wasn't originally intended to be niche. Sony wanted it to be mainstream just like the PS2 was. The PS3 and GCN aren't directly comparable right now either, there are a few similarities here and there, but Sony actually had/has the 3rd party support going in.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wii was mainstreamed when that controller was shown. Anyone with half a brain knew that was going to be big.

On the other hand, PS3 threw itself in a niche when that price was announced.

PSP versus DS is more interesting.

Sure, PSP came out at a high price, but it was much lower than people predicted. It also came out with some of its best games right out the gate.

DS had basically nothing but a Mario 64 port at launch, and a few niche games. It's best point in the early days was the fact that for a time it had the best screen for playing GBA games on.

Then a few months go by, and nothing comes out for either system.

Then the Summer of '05 hits, bringing Kirby, Advance Wars, and Nintendogs.

While PSP still has nothing.

It was all down hill from there.

Yes, you could say the biggest threat to Nintendo's dominance in the handheld market went down to a bunch of puppies.

apujanata

bcn-ron said:
But it's not 7k every week. That's just an average that ignores the much larger fluctuations between the data points that we both have. The curves look completely different. The PS3 January performance was not "extremely close". January 2008 was much stronger than January 2007 (+40% by my reckoning). The February performance was not "extremely close" either, as Feb 2008 is 11% down from Feb 2007, and the most recent data point is even 27% down from last year. This is all detail information you throw out deliberately so you can hold onto your false "it's extremely close, so it will probably stay extremely close" projection.

The PS3's sales are trending downwards right now, and the correct projection would be an even weaker March performance. Tell me for whom I am spinning right now, if you think my biases cloud my ability to analyse the data.
Wow. Look, I understand you being in discomfort when your bullshit spin gets challenged. The most effective cause of action for you would be to stop posting bullshit spin. Getting angry and flailing your arms around like this doesn't help your argument at all.
Keep doing your graphs. Stuff the shitty analysis and the insults when someone disagrees with you.

Can you stop insulting Panther Lotus's analysis. If you don't like it, just post your own version of analysis, and see how many people like them.

What have you contributed to the M-create topic lately ? Shouldn't you refrain from attacking someone's contribution if you didn't contribute any analysis yourself ? You can disagree with someone, but attacking them is a little bit too aggressive, and it can cause them to stop contributing, and create a vacum in M-create activities.

MisterHero

Stopsign said:
Your logic and memory are both failing you here. The DS was proposed to be Nintendo's last stand against the oncoming threat of this new fangled PSP. Everyone and their grandparents were betting on the PSP to win, because of how useful the multimedia is, and how cool the machine looked. Looking back you can obviously say, "Oh no, I always thought the DS would win, and that the PSP was an underdog." Seriously though, no one believes you.

The Wii as a little different. Some die-hard Nintendo fans were predicting a repeat of what happened with the DS, but most people thought that one of the HD machines would win. Of course, now you can say PS3 is a niche console, because it has a smaller user base, but it wasn't originally intended to be niche. Sony wanted it to be mainstream just like the PS2 was. The PS3 and GCN aren't directly comparable right now either, there are a few similarities here and there, but Sony actually had/has the 3rd party support going in.
no I've always backed Nintendo but back then I said Wii had a chance I was considered a delusional fanboy.

but nintendo won out and made me right.

ha...ha...ha

MisterHero said:
no I've always backed Nintendo but back then I said Wii had a chance I was considered a delusional fanboy.

but nintendo won out and made me right.

ha...ha...ha

Well, I would've placed my bets on the PS3 triumphing.

...Until E3 2006. Then I was, 'Yeah, never mind.'

Laguna

Banned
PantherLotus said:
The words "DS MICRO" come to mind.

In an interview early this year Iwata already hinted at a new DS model. Sales aren´t bad but if DS keeps this low-level pace for DSlight-standards in Japan, there could be a new model with the Dragon Quest IX release. Let´s hope that Iwata won´t drop that bomb for Sales-Ages Sonyfanboys sake :D

Neo C. said:
According to Vinnk, the market of young kids is quite saturated.

It doesn't matter. Pokemon is the single biggest title on the DS; the third iteration of this version of Pokemon still even has yet to come out. Nintendo will not release a new iteration of the DS that breaks a key feature of Pokemon (as well as a relatively wide range of import features and hardware devices used by other games.)

Top Bottom