• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

cvxfreak

justchris said:
Wait, what!? I thought that game had bombed. Tiny legs?

Like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, the combined versions sell enough each week to chart higher on Famitsu's charts. The game sold another 16K last week on Famitsu's chart.

Jokeropia

schuelma said:
You're right, its awesome..just a letdown when the numbers released earlier were 90K plus.
Well, 90k was the Famitsu number. Who knows which is more accurate.
Haunted_One said:
It's still tracking above the Gamecube, right?
Actually, it's several hundred thousand units behind...

cvxfreak

Vyer said:
Never realized the GC did only 4 mil...

In a month or so, it'll be on the halfway point to the GC in a matter of months. And depending on how the slew of April games does and how much Nintendo ramps up capacity, the second half may be done even sooner!

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
LTD

PS2 20,335,542
DS+DSL 15,383,087
GBA+GBASP+GBM 15,320,625
PSP 4,969,957
GCN 4,173,597
Wii 1,665,245
PS3 661,151
XBOX360 341,844

some other LTD (thanks to picture posted by Jonnyram) :
Code:
GameBoy Color	      5,067,710   up to 2002 (not sure)
WonderSwan Color	      1,318,913   up to 2002 (not sure)
Pocketstation	      3,657,454   Up to 2001 
NeoGeo Pocket Color	         357,162   Up to 2001 
WonderSwan	      1,014,007   Up to 2001 
NeoGeo Pocket                     61,752   Up to 2001 
Gameboy	                     10,669,655  Up to 2001

Edit : congratulation to PSP for getting 100K/week.

Finn said:
Oh, alright.

So then just one more question - when the DS and the PSP were about to be released (after 15 or so years of utter Nintendo domination in the handheld sector), the gaming press was shouting from the rooftops that Nintendo was going to be slaughtered by this new, fancy Sony equipment.

So if what you're saying is true about the media's "Sony's still got a chance" mentality, why wasn't the same mentality afforded to Nintendo and the DS...especially before it was even launched?

I guess it's a moot point, though, considering the PSP/DS battle is nothing but a distant (and hilariously one-sided) memory.

Because Sony were coming in as market leaders in the home console space, with a very strong brand and more impressive tech. People dismissed Nintendo because from 2000 until Iwata started making changes they were pretty easy to dismiss.

Now, of course, they pretty much own Japan.

Stealth

Holy WOW @ PSP sales. That's a nice triple up or so from the usual, so good for them. Actually, SW for Sony systems looks pretty solid throughout the top 50 as well, considering what they usually are. Still need to find some momentum for PS3 though.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This Week Sales:
mc-sales-070219.jpg

Since 11/27/07 - 13 total weeks:
360 - Following the trend: 4-6k. Next Gen Avg = 11,746. Post Holiday Avg = 6,254.
Wii - Solid Week. Following the trend: 70-85k. Next Gen Avg = 128,096. Post Holiday Avg = 78,610.
PS3 - Consistent. Following the Trend: 18-23k. Next Gen Avg = 39.991. Post Holiday Avg = 21,254.

mc-LTDs-13.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
● The 360's sales are insignificant. They will not hit 1 million units before its successor is announced. 2k-6k per week for the foreseeable future.

● The PS3 has flopped thus far. Three months in and only one title currently in the TOP 50! Multiple factors can be considered, but price must be chief among them. Expected mediocrity until at least October. They are selling very, very consistently (low). 18k-25k per week for the foreseeable future.

● The Wii is clearly dependent upon hardware shipments. Very solid week, indicating a current production capacity (ignoring all other factors, ie holding units back for big releases) of 80k units per week. Expect sales to remain between 68-85k until this is ironed out.

Expectations for 02/26-03/05
360 - 4k
Wii - 75k <--- Production capacity increasing?
PS3 - 19k <--- Even darker times ahead.

This Week's Market Share:
mc-marketshare-070219.jpg

Market Share Week-to-Week
Code:
[B][U]Date____               360             Wii             PS3[/U][/B]
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
01/22-01/28:            13%             60%             26%
01/29-02/04:            13%             61%             26%
02/05-02/11:            13%             61%             26%
02/12-02/18:            13%             62%             26%
02/19-02/25:            12%             62%             25%

Significant Notes:
1. Wii has a 988k lead on PS3 in 13 weeks.
2. At a constant rate of this week's sales:
a) The Wii will have a 1 million unit lead on the PS3 in exactly 1 week.
b) The Wii will have a 2 million unit lead on the PS3 by June 24th.
c) The Wii will have a 3 million unit lead on the PS3 by October.

Think about the previous for a moment.

3. The PS3 hasn't sold more than 26k in 7 weeks now.
4. The Wii has never sold less than 63k in one week.
5. The PS3 has never come closer than 28% market share, and hasn't gained market share since its second week on sale.
6. The Wii has gained market share every week that it has been on sale but one, and has had more than 50% market share since its 3rd week on sale.

7. The PS3 just had its 2nd worst week ever with 20k units sold.
8. The Wii just sold 4.06x the PS3 in one week, and is up 3.70x on the year.

milanbaros

Member?
Does anybody have software attach ratios for the Wii and PS3?

The Gamecube managed a decent ww TR of 9.5 compared to the N64s 6.84. The N64 barely outsold the GCN in terms of software but the GCN's TR fell the previous generation from 7.15 to 6.8. If they can get this up to around 10 then I will see it as a success.

Love the charts and analyses as always, Panther. It's going to be interesting to see the twists and turns on the charts as time passes, particularly what kind of ceiling if any the Wii will hit, and what software if any will help the flagging trajectory of the PS3.

justchris

cvxfreak said:
Like Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, the combined versions sell enough each week to chart higher on Famitsu's charts. The game sold another 16K last week on Famitsu's chart.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. I haven't been keeping up with the Famitsu charts due to my total lack of ability to read or comprehend Japanese. That being said, seems like releasing multiple versions of a single game all at once is a bad idea from a financial standpoint.

PS2 20,335,542
DS+DSL 15,383,087
GBA+GBASP+GBM 15,320,625
PSP 4,969,957
GCN 4,173,597
Wii 1,665,245
PS3 661,151
XBOX360 341,844
-------
GameBoy Color 5,067,710 up to 2002 (not sure)
WonderSwan Color 1,318,913 up to 2002 (not sure)
Pocketstation 3,657,454 Up to 2001
NeoGeo Pocket Color 357,162 Up to 2001
WonderSwan 1,014,007 Up to 2001
NeoGeo Pocket 61,752 Up to 2001
Gameboy 10,669,655 Up to 2001

GB + GBC = 15,737,365

Hmmmm, guess DS still has about a month to go to beat grandpappy.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Expectations for 02/26-03/05
360 - 4k
Wii - 75k <--- Production capacity increasing?
PS3 - 19k <--- Even darker times ahead.

PS3 seems low- it should get a little bump from Gundam right?

sphinx

the piano man
Pantherlotus' notes are quit alarming for PS3 but something tells me with that gundam musou whatever game, things will start to change.

we already have reports about both the game and the PS3 having a good performance, don't we?

it might be in fact the end of the dark times.

I predict 35k - 40k sales next week.

After that, they should try to keep the momentum and release worthy software at least once every 2 weeks. Otherwise they'll suffer the fate of the 360.

schuelma

sphinx said:
Pantherlotus' notes are quit alarming for PS3 but something tells me with that gundam musou whatever game, things will start to change.

we already have reports about both the game and the PS3 having a good performance, don't we?

After that, they should try to keep the momentum and release worthy software at least once every 2 weeks. Otherwise they'll suffer the fate of the 360.

I don't think they have "worthy software at least once every two weeks" coming for a while..that's the problem.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
schuelma said:
PS3 seems low- it should get a little bump from Gundam right?

Ask VF5. It went up right around 4k above expectations.

I stand by my predictions. They've been extremely accurate (+/- 5k) since I started them.

sphinx said:

After that, they should try to keep the momentum and release worthy software at least once in 2 weeks. Otherwise they'll suffer the fate of the 360.

I predict 35k for the PS3 next week, but I don't know how well that number is going to sustain the next week. Probably down to 25k the week after, then to 20-22k the week after that until the next big piece of soft. It's worth pointing out that the PS3, no matter how badly it does, will never suffer the fate of the 360 in Japan.

Jokeropia

justchris said:
GameBoy Color 5,067,710 up to 2002 (not sure)
WonderSwan Color 1,318,913 up to 2002 (not sure)
Pocketstation 3,657,454 Up to 2001
NeoGeo Pocket Color 357,162 Up to 2001
WonderSwan 1,014,007 Up to 2001
NeoGeo Pocket 61,752 Up to 2001
Gameboy 10,669,655 Up to 2001
GB + GBC = 15,737,365

Hmmmm, guess DS still has about a month to go to beat grandpappy.
Aren't GB + GBC shipments to Japan around 32 million? Those figures seem wrong..

schuelma

PantherLotus said:
Ask VF5. It went up right around 4k above expectations.

But from early reports Gundam is going to sell about three times as much as V5 no?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
schuelma said:
But from early reports Gundam is going to sell about three times as much as V5 no?

Look dude, you're expecting the PS3 to magically surge upward from one title. It might bump up a little, but quibbling between the difference of 19k to 30k is insignificant (and shortsighted). The Wii will sell 3-4x that amount without any major releases.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Just wanted to clarify my last post:
You guys simply cannot keep expecting one title to change anything. It has simply never worked that way. It has always been based on trends and the sum total of what the public wants.

Right now, the Japanese public just aren't interested in PS3 games. And that doesn't bode well. Sony needs to turn shit around, and they need to start about a month ago. They've lost mindshare, they've lost a great chance to hit Nintendo when they're having production issues, and they might have already lost the war. Still, it would be unfair to call it over, at least until April 2008. After that, pretty much everything will be set in stone.

schuelma

PantherLotus said:
Look dude, you're expecting the PS3 to magically surge upward from one title. It might bump up a little, but quibbling between the difference of 19k to 30k is insignificant (and shortsighted). The Wii will sell 3-4x that amount without any major releases.

I think you're misinterpreting where I am coming from. When I said a small bump that's what I meant- up to 30-35k max. I am not at all saying or expecting Gundam to make any kind of large term difference AT ALL. Period. I was only talking specifically about the prediction that the PS3 would sell less this week with Gundam on the shelves- that's it. In my personal opinion the PS3 is in huge huge trouble.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
All hardware sales are in line with what I expected.

Side note: CVX, your LTD numbers are not correct.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Shue-kk. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. And to clarify, I probably should bump up my predictions to ~24k.

BUT HERE'S THE THING.

If I'm wrong, and it really IS 30k sold...I'm off by 10k units. :) Do you realize how insignificant that is when the Wii is selling 72k per week?

cvxfreak

starship said:
All hardware sales are in line with what I expected.

Side note: CVX, your LTD numbers are not correct.

Was there a mistake? I cut and paste Cheese's numbers with the ones from this week using Google. Could be errors.

schuelma

PantherLotus said:
Shue-kk. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post. And to clarify, I probably should bump up my predictions to ~24k.

BUT HERE'S THE THING.

If I'm wrong, and it really IS 30k sold...I'm off by 10k units. :) Do you realize how insignificant that is when the Wii is selling 72k per week?

Oh I completely agree; I'm just really anal and picky when it comes to that stuff. :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Anyone care to find all my mega-posts (the ones with the same format) from the MC posts for the past 10-12 weeks? It's time I start tracking myself for credibility purposes, but I can't seem to find them when I do a search.

Any help?

Edit:
You heard it here first: shuelma really likes anal.

vitaflo

These conversations are really starting to sound like the DS vs PSP ones we had at the beginning of their life cycle. PSP always needing an influx of sales to catch up and never getting it.

I'm starting to think it's going to be the same for Wii vs PS3. If the story is the same this time next year, I think we'll be able to officially declare a winner in Japan.

Mrbob

NintendosBooger said:
Nice, but PSP should have sold more considering a large, 700k-in-its-first-week title was just released. DS has been handicapped by shortages, but what's the PSP's excuse? They're all over Japan. It could have hit 200k.

This is some pretty sad spin hahahahaha.

Nintendos Booger indeed.

AniHawk

DS should beat out the PS2 by the end of the year. After that, we'll really be heading into unchartered territory.

PS3's performing better than the GC did at this point. At least that's something.

schuelma

AniHawk said:
DS should beat out the PS2 by the end of the year. After that, we'll really be heading into unchartered territory.

PS3's performing better than the GC did at this point. At least that's something.

I thought the PS3 was now behind GC?

KINGMOKU

AniHawk said:

Incorrect sir. Its about 120-150k behind it.

Tabris

I think there was some confusion, I meant that there was no excuse of being sold out for the DS, PSP outsold it fair and square in terms of cost/sold unit this week.

Jokeropia

Tabris said:
I think there was some confusion, I meant that there was no excuse of being sold out for the DS, PSP outsold it fair and square in terms of cost/sold unit this week.
:lol

1.) DS was indeed sold out.
2.) The revenue spin is stupid, and it was already pointed out that it's false to begin with since PSP is only slightly more expensive in Japan.
ziran said:
Are you trying to say PSP revenue > DS revenue?

AFAIK DS retail is ~17,000 yen and PSP retail is ~20,000 yen, so using the approximate Famitsu numbers (DS 134k, PSP 95k):

DS revenue ~2.28 billion yen > PSP revenue ~1.9 billion yen.

Top Bottom