• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

ComputerNerd said:
The developer expects Gundum Musou to sell 2 million copies.

I don't think they have a chance to reach it.
Namco-Bandai has a pretty bad reputation with predictions. I overestimated first week sales of VF5 by something like 20k and I think this game will disappoint in sales also. I'd say it's lucky to hit 75k first week. More importantly will it sell systems? Not really. Not expecting much of a spike in consoles sales.

TopDreg

Defuser said:
Killzone + Fps + Japan = Good?
ERROR!! ERROR!! LOGIC DOES NOT COMPUTE!!!

baby-tunnel.gif

FitzOfRage said:
Isn't Resistance one of the best selling PS3 titles there so far?

Look at the selection they have, good sir. They have to buy something.

Resistance is an excellent game, but it's not something the Japanese crowd goes wild over.

TopDreg said:
That's not a good sign.

That's true...

I didn't mention that Halo was one of the best selling Xbox games there, because pretty much every Xbox game was a pre-failure (with the arguable exception of some of Team Ninja's games).

So really it's only marginally relevant if you're working under the assumption that "best selling PS3 game in Japan" doesn't become an oxymoron the way it did for the Xbox (which used to be an easier assumption to make...)

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:
I think he means DQMJ, but you know, it is Tabris.

I, like... don't quite get even how DQM is a Pokemon ripoff. I mean, it's basically a full game built around the DQV mechanics. Surely anyone would be aware of that, especially one purporting to be a fan of RPGs... right?

TopDreg

ethelred said:
I, like... don't quite get even how DQM is a Pokemon ripoff. I mean, it's basically a full game built around the DQV mechanics. Surely anyone would be aware of that, especially one purporting to be a fan of RPGs... right?

Besides, wasn't the DQM series released before the Pokemon series?

Oh, hey Tabris is back!

I think you're playing loose with your definitions here, by the way. DS is a full generational leap ahead of the GBA in terms of hardware, thus it's a next-gen system. PSP is more powerful still, but it kinda sorta isn't strong enough to match the Dreamcast, so it's more... Next-gen and a half.

ethelred

Defuser said:
Wtf 5 pages? Come on Gaf you can do better than that.This MCS is practically trolling bait

There's nothing to rage at. Japan loves gaming again; all's right with the world.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sinobi already told us about the HW everyone is interested in:

DS - 140k
PSP - 100k

Jammy

Banned
Tabris said:
Hey Ethelred!

I'm waiting for hardware.....

All you need to know is DS > PSP by quite a bit and Wii > PS3 by a lot, okay?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's true.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Tabris said:
Hey Ethelred!

Out of curiosity, why are you waiting for them? The PSP will still be outsold by the DS. Will you declare PSP the winner because the DS didn't sell it by more than 4 or 5 times?

TopDreg

Defuser said:
Wtf 5 pages? Come on Gaf you can do better than that.This MCS is practically trolling bait

It'll explode after hardware numbers show the PSP outselling the DS this week.

Believe x5.

Brak

Pureauthor said:
Not quite. They've yet to announce localizations of Mother 1 and 3, not to mention DQM:J.
That doesn't mean Japan hates gaming. That means NoA hates you (and Amirox).

Brak said:
That doesn't mean Japan hates gaming. That means NoA hates you (and Amirox).

No, ethelred said all was right in the world. Well, it sure as heck ain't all right in english speaking countries. :(

Brak

Pureauthor said:
No, ethelred said all was right in the world. Well, it sure as heck ain't all right in english speaking countries. :(
Touche.

Even though MHP2 had a great week, I wonder if we'll actually see another one on PSP. They won't be able to do a straight port from the PS3 version. It sounds ridiculous, but it might happen.

mj1108

Tabris said:

Oh, and Hey Ethelred!

...and we're all waiting for the hilarity to ensue when you find out that the DS still outsells the PSP this week.

So the next Media Create thread we see you in should be when MHP3 comes out, right?

Xeke

Banned
jj984jj said:
sinobi already told us about the HW everyone is interested in:

DS - 140k
PSP - 100k

Shhh, don't tell him that. He's holding out hope that the DS numbers are 21,000 too high and the PSP numbers are 20,000 too low.

TFIFF

Banned
I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but from looking at some Youtube clips it looks like a single player PSO with Capcom polish. Is this the case? If so, how import friendly is MHP2? If there is a lot of text, I guess I will pick up MHP1 instead.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Aww, come off the hyperbole. Rather than do that, or a price cut of some sort, don't you think they'd try to pump out more games?
That's a response that couldn't possibly show results in the short term, though, which is when the biggest trouble is. Starting now, even something of a low Brain Training or Wii Sports level probably couldn't be ready until... Octoberish?

linsivvi

Tabris said:
BTW, best third party first week sales on a "next gen" handheld. I wonder if even anything third party on the Gameboy Advance has sold more than 700k copies in a single week in Japan.

Actually it's the best first week sales on a handheld ever.

If you exclude the DS, GBA and GB, that is

apujanata

Nice to see the 705K sales for MHP2 confirmed. So, who win the prediction ? :)

Nice to see Layton having legs. Not so nice to see 75K sales of FE Wii. I was hoping for 90K or more. But I can understand the sales, because of the # of userbase.

Tabris, I think you'd agree with me that 250-300k is a good mark of success for 3rd party DS titles... What would you say is a good mark of success for 3rd party titles (or any title) for the PSP?

I think we'd get along nicely :D

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Mrbob said:
PSP closing the gap.

Cue Sony press release soon.

Hmmm isn't it closer to "Closing the rate at which the gap is widening" since the ds is still selling more? Not a very good press release?

KINGMOKU

LanceStern said:
Tabris, I think you'd agree with me that 250-300k is a good mark of success for 3rd party DS titles... What would you say is a good mark of success for 3rd party titles (or any title) for the PSP?

Lance and Tabris in an MC thread=awesome.

Xeke

Banned
LanceStern said:

Well I mean since 3rd parties are really amazing on PSP I think the bar should be pretty high, say, 6 million?

apujanata

LanceStern said:

Should PSP's ones higher or lower ? Logic dictate it should be lower, but you and Tabris might have different idea.

Branduil

AniHawk said:
So, the DS is the first system to have at least 3 4,000,000 sellers since the Game Boy.

Yes, but how many of those games are actually games?

In fact, is the DS even a games system? It's success says otherwise.

Top Bottom