• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/26 - 3/4

Evlar

Banned
PS360 said:
Haha well at least the PSP can claim victory for one week's worth of sales.

Was this the only week it out-sold DS?
It did it a few times before Easter. I don't know whether it's ever happened since.

HokieJoe

So does no one think that the PS3 will start selling big numbers once it hits $300? I realize that the Wii will have a lot of momentum by that point, but still, the PS3 will be enticing for that price- no?

Wiitard

Banned
See what I meant saying the PS3 vs. Wii war was getting boring...

I will not argue with anybody's deeply held beliefs about the likelihood of divine intervention in this console war. But might I suggest something - if you really believe PS3 is going to make a comeback : GO BUY SONY SHARES RIGHT NOW. Even better, buy call options on Sony stock - you invest a couple of thousand bucks now and stylishly drive away in a Porshe by the end of the year (or whenever you are predicting the coming of the Messiah). And imagine the satifcation of coming to GAF then and saying not just "I told you so", but "My Porshe and me told you so".

Joe Molotov

The Sphinx said:
It did it a few times before Easter. I don't know whether it's ever happened since.

In January 2006, after the huge Christmas sales followed by massive shortages. That was the last time.

HokieJoe said:
So does no one think that the PS3 will start selling big numbers once it hits $300? I realize that the Wii will have a lot of momentum by that point, but still, the PS3 will be enticing for that price- no?

Was the Dreamcast enticing at $99?

HokieJoe said:

no. If PS3 sales can only double when Gundam Musou is released it is surely doomed!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement

But when will that be? 2009. Let's say they cut to $500 in holiday 2007. Then $400 in holiday 2008. Then another $100 sometime that year in 2009. That's a lot of price cutting that I don't see happening. Even at $300 it is common knowledge that $200 is when the mass market starts buying.

I just don't see it.

Pistolero

I would be really surprised if PS3 managed to win the battle in Japan :
Well, it may, but Japanese resistance to quality games has been so tough ! Mama cooking and IQ tests for teh win !

TopDreg

AniHawk said:
Looks like now that the DS has finally sold to all the GBA userbase, sales are finally dying off.

baby-tunnel.gif

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Looks like now that the DS has finally sold to all the GBA userbase, sales are finally dying off.

We need Dragon Quest IX and the rumored Pokemon Gold/Silver remakes first.

TopDreg said:
Dreamcast was enticing after production had stopped.

...PS3 am next Dreamcast confirmed!

I'm only following his scenario to its natural conclusion.

There are two ways the PS3 gets to be $300. Either it's a few years off, and if sales continue like this, it will be effectively dead in Japan. Or, it's tanking like a mofo. Either of these two scenarios are obviously akin to the Dreamcast, or if you like, the $79.99 Game Cube.

TopDreg

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm only following his scenario to its natural conclusion.

There are two ways the PS3 gets to be $300. Either it's a few years off, and if sales continue like this, it will be effectively dead in Japan. Or, it's tanking like a mofo. Either of these two scenarios are obviously akin to the Dreamcast, or if you like, the $79.99 Game Cube.

I'd say the possibility of it happening is guaranteed to be at least a few years, given that if the PS3 really does tank that bad then Sony most likely won't have the budget necessary to lower the PS3's price to 300 dollars until that 3-4 year stretch is over.

Edit: Eh... maybe you noticed, but I was actually tryin' to be sarcastic with what I said about the Dreamcast. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Pistolero said:
I would be really surprised if PS3 managed to win the battle in Japan :
Well, it may, but Japanese resistance to quality games has been so tough ! Mama cooking and IQ tests for teh win !
I hope this is sarcasm. If it's not, I'm ashamed to share a tag with you. "Japan hats gamez confirmed" is rather tired by now.

mollipen

PS360 said:
Segata: You may be right. I wasn't actually thinking of the PSP outselling, but even selling at the same pace the relative gap will be the same.

Uhm... no it won't. If the DS and PSP continue to sell at the same pace, the gap is only going to get bigger, not stay the same. Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.

ethelred

shidoshi said:
Uhm... no it won't. If the DS and PSP continue to sell at the same pace, the gap is only going to get bigger, not stay the same. Unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.

I don't think he understands what he's saying.

TopDreg said:
Edit: Eh... maybe you noticed, but I was actually tryin' to be sarcastic with what I said about the Dreamcast. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I hear ya. I'm just being extra-cautious since I've been accused of being seven different types of fanboy in the last week.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
PS360 said:
Haha well at least the PSP can claim victory for one week's worth of sales.

Was this the only week it out-sold DS?

It's outsold the DS multiple times, but the last occurrence was over a year ago. The DS will become the most popular console in Japan, EVER. The PSP is not touching it, let alone putting a dent in anything.

chibcicylist said:

I predicted Wii sales would be lower than 63k, so I was pleased with myself.

DS you can't really predict its sales, it defies all trends and patterns. The Wii, however, has a set pattern for right now, so I expect next week's sales to be slightly less than 68k

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
Since Cheesemeister's numbers only show combined GBA:

DSL 111,814
PSP 66,156
Wii 57,972
PS3 44,000
PS2 15,364
Xbox360 3,379
GBM 805
GBASP 738
GC 303
DS 112
GBA 25

Looks like 360 may stay at 3K/week, while PSP is having a nice second week effect from MHP2. I wonder whether PSP will drop back to 40K or less next week.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
apujanata said:
Looks like 360 may stay at 3K/week, while PSP is having a nice second week effect from MHP2. I wonder whether PSP will drop back to 40K or less next week.

That depends. MHP2 is approaching the number of owners of MHP1, how far it goes beyond remains to be seen. If it has legs, I'd say PSP would remain around 40 to 50 for the next couple weeks.

From what I can tell, there are a buttload of games that are crawling to 1 million sales in the charts. You've got;

Kirby Squeak Squad
MHP1
MHP2
Wii Play
Love & Berry
FFIII

And to a lesser extent, since they're all about ~700-800k;

Cooking Navi
Tamagotchi 2
Ryu Ga Gotoku

It's pretty amazing.

apujanata

Barf_the_Mog said:
Is that the same Link316 from GameFaqs? The one made infamous on the notoriously horrible Next-gen board?

It seems that after I killed him on the gamefaqs board, he is reincarnated in NeoGAF. I hope he no longer did any stupid bet, that might get him killed in this board. I am proud of the fact that I am the one and only "slayer of Link316".

I am just joking, about the proud things

Wii comparisons: At 14 weeks Wii is where GCN was at 63 weeks, DS was at 8.5 weeks, and PS2 was at 13 weeks.

It's worth pointing out that Famitsu and Media Create seem to differ on early DS numbers quite a bit. So while by Media Create's numbers Wii is behind DS, if one instead uses Famitsu's Wii and DS numbers, by week 13 Wii is ahead. See for yourself.

PS3 comparisons: At 17 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 1.6 weeks, PSP was at 7.6 weeks, and GCN was at 14.6 weeks.

PS3 vs Wii: This is the highest weekly percentage of PS3/Wii sales PS3 has had since Wii was released, 43.2% (previous high 42.7% week of 2006-12-25). If PS3 continued at this rate and Wii stopped selling, it would catch up in 22.8 weeks (August 10, 2007). If "the flip" happened, PS3 and Wii would meet in 71.8 weeks (July 18, 2008). This is the farthest out a "flip" measurement has been, since this is the closest PS3 and Wii sales have ever been. Wii is now about a million units past PS3.

DS's numbers being down a bit this week, the meetup date with PS2 based on this week is further out: 50.3 weeks (February 19, 2008).

santouras said:
Was this the magical week when DS finally passed GBA? Or am I a week late to that party
Depends on which tracker you look at. By Famitsu's counting, it's still not quite there as of the latest numbers. Should only be 1-2 more weeks, though.
PantherLotus said:
Bah. Someone always comes in right after I make my megapost and flies off with ridiculous assertions. I want more feedback and attention. WAAAH!
You should put some candy in your post to attract attention! Here's a proposal for Significant Note #10: "When PS3's graphics are mindblowingly irresistable and it begins to outsell Wii by 20K each week, it will take 51 weeks to become market leader."
PS360 said:
The life-cycles across the three major regions must stay congruent for Sony's sake. There is no releasing a PS4 in japan when PS3 in NA/Europe still has 2 years left. At least I would imagine that as being out of the question.
Well, PS1 and PS2 had their worldwide releases spread over a year-ish. If they'd been able to put PS3 out a year earlier in Japan than NA and Europe where PS2 continued to be stronger longer, things would probably be a lot better for them now. Certainly the neutered launch numbers in both NA and Japan didn't do them any favors.
60_gig_PS3 said:
pretty sure that the PS3's biggest barrier is the lack and games and strength of the PS2. Not the Wii.
PS2 remains hot in the west, but has significantly slowed down in Japan. If we imagine a world where since PS3s launch we count all PS2 sales toward PS3, the new PS3 total would be... 1,139,501 by Media Create's count. Still significantly less than PS2 or Wii at the same time.
schuelma said:
Christ, aren't we sure these posts aren't Nintendo guys in disguise? This is like shooting fish in a barrel
I have honestly wondered the same thing.
The Sphinx said:
2) The existing huge PS2 userbase isn't buying many games anymore. Only 1 PS2 game in the top 50 this week.
PS2 still accounts for a fair slice of Famitsu's weekly software sales pie. Since the introduction of PS3/Wii it has slipped below 20% a lot more than it used to, though. Definitely a downward trend, but looking only at the top 50 games misses a lot.
chibicyclist said:
It should also be mentioned that the PSP, in plentiful supply, didnt even manage to outsell the DS during the launch of its biggest game yet(if not ever). The DS didn't even have any major releases that week.
As long as we're pulling out all varieties of "DS is huge" tidbits, it's worth noting that just 3 weeks ago DS sold over 200K in an early February week. That's more than any week PSP has ever had.
HokieJoe said:
*shrug* If a system is lacking momentum, a price drop alone probably won't have a long-term effect. I'm not about to predict exactly how the momentum for each will seem 2 years from now, though.

Avrum

cvxfreak said:

SURELY YOU JEST!?

Seriously, where did this come from? I'd actually like that a lot, especially if they expanded the Ruins of Alph to be a lot more than what it was in the original game. I want to see more puzzle elements in Pokemon beyond warp tiles and one way conveyor belts. :p

apujanata

cvxfreak said:

I am interested in the Gold/Silver remake, since I haven't played the game. It is fun playing with the day/night scenario. Looking forward to it.

Rock_Man

Here's the updated DS/PSP ratio graph as I promised. Recall, a 1 means DS sales = PSP sales, a 2 means DS sales are two times the PSP sales, and so on.

dspspratios070225zq7.png

The MHP release week was the first week in almost 2 years that PSP software sales exceeded DS software sales (ratio was 0.8).

cvxfreak

Avrum said:
SURELY YOU JEST!?

Seriously, where did this come from? I'd actually like that a lot, especially if they expanded the Ruins of Alph to be a lot more than what it was in the original game. I want to see more puzzle elements in Pokemon beyond warp tiles and one way conveyor belts. :p

There are shittons of references to Gold and Silver in Diamond and Pearl, including Pokemon locations such as Johto. It's more fan speculation than anything, but it seems like there's a good chance.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Over a lincoln for ninny, a pair of washingtons for sunny, and just under a hamilton for missy. :lol

If that's not good enough, I'll remove the post no problem.

Seems like some GAFFers are just jealous is all.

Wii I have at 4.5 million worldwide. With 1.7 mill in Japan, 1.5 mill in the US, and 1.28 in others (Korea + Australia + Europe). PS3 I have at 1.65 million

apujanata

Inhumanility said:

To all junior member who are even thinking of saying "GAF is jealous", please go back to the old m-create thread (in the sales archive forum), and see how wrong your opinion is.

Edit : For those junior members that are too lazy to search it, I give you one example of the bickering thread :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112845

and please don't raise this issue again.

apujanata

Inhumanility said:

Wii I have at 4.5 million worldwide. With 1.7 mill in Japan, 1.5 mill in the US, and 1.28 in others (Korea + Australia + Europe). PS3 I have at 1.65 million

Better remove the US sales figure. It might be bannable offense (I'm not sure about it, but better safe than sorry).

apujanata said:
Better remove the US sales figure. It might be bannable offense (I'm not sure about it, but better safe than sorry).
The main thing is to have a legitimate non-leak source when bringing up a number. Considering GAF has been getting numbers directly from NPD since the month Wii and PS3 launched, pretty much anything regarding them should be kosher.

Jiggy

cvxfreak said:
There are shittons of references to Gold and Silver in Diamond and Pearl, including Pokemon locations such as Johto. It's more fan speculation than anything, but it seems like there's a good chance.
That and all the story-based foreshadowing in Fire Red and Leaf Green, such as the G/S rival being the son of (I'd spoiler tag this, but then people could still accidentally click on it) a certain someone, the last holdouts trying to reconstruct Team Rocket, and the information on computers about trying to evolve Pokemon with magnetic waves, which leads to the Lake of Rage thing. I think there was even a reference somewhere in there about Slowpoke tails, but I don't remember.

farnham

Banned
zelda has some legs... i guess it sells something like 5k to 10k per month..

if this continues and with a little bit of holiday bump we might see 600k to 700k (i think its at 400k right now.. )

justchris

Okay, I think I'm finally ready to offer some predictions and opinions (after reading all the GDC news and this entire thread).

PS3 doubled it's sales over last week. Everyone who says Gundam Musou didn't give it much of a boost need to check that again. it doubled it's sales. Not spectacular by any means, but still significant.

I think PS3 sales will hover between 27k-30k for another week, but I'm not sure GM can sustain sales beyond that, and PS3 really has nothing interesting for the rest of this month. So after next week, back down to 18k-23k weekly sales until Golden Week, where they'll get another slight boost, but then drop again the week after, at least until Minna no Golf (barring some sort of surprise release).

Wii definitely has a week on/week off pattern, but it's sales are also getting progressively lower each succeeding pair of weeks. Nintendo only has one major release coming this month in the form of Sonic atSR (or is Japan getting SSX Blur also, plus, would they even care if they were?). On the other hand, they have Super Paper Mario in April, as well as their announced production increase.

So I predict for Nintendo a continuation of the alternating downward slide until early April, where they'll have a massive week with SPM, followed by a very small week, followed by hopefully a reliable average of sales, instead of their current alternating pattern.

DS is....honestly, I don't know what DS is going to do. They have a fairly robust library of games coming, and since they're increasing Wii production in April, there's a decent chance they'll be increasing DS production at the same time. So I'll go out on a limb and predict that, starting 2nd week in April, DS will average 160k-180k per week. And will still sell everything it ships.

360 has nothing until Trusty Bell, hardly even worth discussing.

PSP is doing good, but unfortunately has nothing major until FFVII:Crisis Core. Monster Hunter Portable 2 seems to have decent legs, but is also heavily frontloaded. I wouldn't be surprised to see it drop into the 11-20 range next week, while still keeping PSP sales respectable, probably in the 40k-50k range, for at least the next 2 weeks. After that, I see PSP dropping to the 35k-40k range until FFVII:CC (I may be wrong on my PSP FF releases, but I think CC is still planned in advance of Anniversary I & II and Tactics - I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're all roughly interchangeable as far as PSP sales are concerned, with CC being a bigger draw by, I'd say, 10k in hardware sales). The PSP will stay ahead of the PS3 at least until the 3rd quarter of this year.

TFIFF

Banned
justchris said:
PS3 doubled it's sales over last week. Everyone who says Gundam Musou didn't give it much of a boost need to check that again. it doubled it's sales. Not spectacular by any means, but still significant.

Doubling something that is small in an absolute sense doesn't mean much. If I make 40 bucks tomorrow instead of 20, its not that impressive. I know the point you are driving at, but considering the expected impact of Gundam Musou the PS3 hardware sales are still completely unimpressive.

Top Bottom