• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/26 - 3/4

AshStrife

WII - 57,972
PS3 - 44,000

achievementhv0.jpg

Not really

Jammy

Banned
I wonder how much PS3 will drop next week and how much Wii will grow because of the new shipment cycle.

So Wii Sports suddenly improved its attach rate(by 10% no less)? The MC numbers this week seems a bit screwy. First the Gundam discrepancy and then the Wii Sports attach ratio.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This Week Sales:
mc-sales-070226.jpg

Since 11/27/07 - 14 total weeks:
360 - Following the trend: 3-5k. Next Gen Avg = 11,148. Post Holiday Avg = 5,894.
Wii - Below expectations, but following the trend: 60k-80k. Next Gen Avg = 123,087. Post Holiday Avg = 76,030.
PS3 - Higher than expectations. Doubled the Trend: 18-23k. Next Gen Avg = 40,277. Post Holiday Avg = 24,098.

mc-LTDs-14.jpg

Results, Analysis, & Expectations
● The 360's sales are insignificant. They will not hit 1 million units before its successor is announced. 2k-6k per week for the foreseeable future.

● The PS3 didn't move nearly enough units for one of their biggest titles this year. A solid improvement, but it will take week after week after week of similar releases to change the already-clear trends in this market. A positive reaction from the GDC could spur more sales in the coming weeks. I will raise my week-to-week forecast up from 18-23k to 22-28k for the following 6 weeks.

● The Wii is clearly dependent upon hardware shipments. Pretty bad week, indicating a current production capacity (ignoring all other factors, ie holding units back for big releases) of 60-80k units per week. Keen eyes are noticing an every-other-week trend with the Wii, indicating even further how dependent sales are on shipments. Expect sales to remain between 60-80k until this is ironed out.

Expectations for 03/05-03/12
360 - 4k
Wii - 72k <--- Production capacity up this week.
PS3 - 25k <--- Up, but up from bad is still bad.

This Week's Market Share:
mc-marketshare-070226.jpg

Market Share Week-to-Week
Code:
[B][U]Date____               360             Wii             PS3[/U][/B]
11/27-12/03:            25%             49%             26%
12/04-12/10:            24%             49%             27%
12/11-12/17:            21%             50%             29%
12/18-12/24:            17%             57%             26%
12/25-12/31:            16%             56%             28%
01/01-01/07:            15%             58%             27%
01/08-01/14:            14%             59%             27%
01/15-01/21:            14%             60%             26%
01/22-01/28:            13%             60%             26%
01/29-02/04:            13%             61%             26%
02/05-02/11:            13%             61%             26%
02/12-02/18:            13%             62%             26%
02/19-02/25:            12%             62%             25%
03/26-03/04:            12%             62%             26%

Significant Notes:
1. Wii has a 1 million unit lead on PS3 in exactly 14 weeks.
2. The Wii has never sold less than 57k in one week.
3. This is the first week since the launch period that the PS3 took back a percentage of market share.
4. The Wii has gained market share every week that it has been on sale but one, and has had more than 50% market share since its 3rd week on sale.
5. The PS3 just had its BEST WEEK THIS YEAR with 44k units sold.
6. The Wii just had its WORST WEEK EVER with 57k units sold.
7. This is the closest the PS3 have ever been to the Wii, week-to-week.
8. The Wii only sold 1.32x the PS3 this week, and is up 3.70x on the year.
9. The 360 just had its worst week since the new generation began, selling less than 20x what the Wii sold in one week (in its worst week ever).

PL MC POST HISTORY
Click for accountability!
01/15-01/21
01/22-01/28
01/29-02/04
02/05-02/11
02/12-02/18
02/19-02/25

PS360

Banned
Meh...PS3's fine in Japan. No where near the success of PS2, clearly. But with a lifecycle as long as the PS2s it's possible that in 4 years it's over-taken the Wii.

Price is still an issue, games are still an issue. VF5 was disappointing, but Gundam's doing fine. FF series, MGS series, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 5...there's plenty to look forward to. Just a shame the games are so far away.

We'll see. It may be Wii all the way this gen in Japan.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PS360 said:
Meh...PS3's fine in Japan. No where near the success of PS2, clearly. But with a lifecycle as long as the PS2s it's possible that in 4 years it's over-taken the Wii.

Price is still an issue, games are still an issue. VF5 was disappointing, but Gundam's doing fine. FF series, MGS series, Gran Turismo, Resident Evil 5...there's plenty to look forward to. Just a shame the games are so far away.

Wow...just wow

PS360 said:

It's not going to have the PS2's lifecycle if it doesn't have it's sales. Sony can say this is a 10 year system, but if it doesn't outsell the competition in the next 4 you know Sony will have a new Playstation ready just as Microsoft have an Xbox ready.

legend166

PS360 said:

I lol'd.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
PS360 said:

...wow.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Bah. Someone always comes in right after I make my megapost and flies off with ridiculous assertions. I want more feedback and attention. WAAAH!

Mrbob

TheGreatDave said:
It's not going to have the PS2's lifecycle if it doesn't have it's sales. Sony can say this is a 10 year system, but if it doesn't outsell the competition in the next 4 you know Sony will have a new Playstation ready just as Microsoft have an Xbox ready.

Suuure.

A 600 dollar system is going to have a shorter lifecycle than a 300 dollar system.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mrbob said:
Suuure.

A 600 dollar system is going to have a shorter lifecycle than a 300 dollar system.

Ohho! You're going to tell me that it's future proof, right? And that somehow it will magically start selling when people are ready for it, right? When HD hits market penetration, right?

Price has nothing to do with lifecycle, regardless of their marketing.

Taurus

Mrbob said:
Suuure.

Can somebody remind me how price is related to expected lifespan? Any examples in the history? Like... 3DO?

felipeko

PantherLotus said:
Bah. Someone always comes in right after I make my megapost and flies off with ridiculous assertions. I want more feedback and attention. WAAAH!
We pretty much agree with your points..
So no point post just for that...

But when someone do what PS360 did, we do want say something. :D

Evlar

Banned
PantherLotus said:
Ohho! You're going to tell me that it's future proof, right? And that somehow it will magically start selling when people are ready for it, right? When HD hits market penetration, right?

Price has nothing to do with lifecycle, regardless of their marketing.
Well, at least it should be down to a competitive price by the time Nintendo and MS put out their next consoles.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Taurus said:
Can somebody remind me how price is related to expected lifespan? Any examples in the history? Like... 3DO?

Well the typical example that one might use would be the PC lifecycle, where the more you spend typically "buys" you more time before obsolescence, but it just doesn't hold up against a non-upgradeable, static, video player.

Horrible, meaningless assertion. It's the kind of assertion that makes other, more intelligent and considered assertions (like, WAIT FOR.....!) seem positively brilliant in comparison.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
The PS3 won't be a success unless it's down to $300 by holiday 2008.

I don't see any way around it.

Cooter said:

If it's not in first place by Holiday 2008, it won't be in first place by Holiday 2011, short of precise meteor strikes on the production facilities of the competition.

PantherLotus said:

I appreciate your charts and analysis - its a perfect overview of a week's Media Create data and puts everything into perspective until the new data begins to trickle over on Sunday. :)

Cooter

If it's not in first place by Holiday 2008, it won't be in first place by Holiday 2011, short of precise meteor strikes on the production facilities of the competition.

Agreed

felipeko

Cooter said:

And Wii at $150?

I'm not so sure that Sony would want a price war while ps3 is bleeding money..

Taurus

Mrbob said:
PS3 is the next 3d0. You heard it first at gaf.
Well read and understood, congrats.

But by your logic... doesn't it mean that 3DO should have had at least 6-8 year lifespan instead of 3 years? The price only should have guaranteed it, right?

Link316

Banned
Pureauthor said:

it'll be #1 in 2011 as long as they stick with the PS3, there's no need for Sony to cut the cycle short

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Mrbob said:
PS3 is the next 3d0. You heard it first at gaf.

Oh bullshit. Don't pretend like you weren't the schmuck that suggested that it had a longer life-cycle simply because it cost more. If you can actually defend such ridiculosity, please do. It's gettin ****in thick around here.

Mrbob

The fallacy is thinking the Wii has a large influence on the success or failure of the PS3 when the Wii's impact on the future of the PS3 is minimal at best.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mrbob said:
The fallacy is thinking the Wii has a large influence on the success or failure of the PS3 when the Wii's impact on the future of the PS3 is minimal at best.

Possibly true in N.A, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the Wii dominating won't have an effect in Japan.

Evlar

Banned
Mrbob said:
That might be true.

DS is killing the PS3.

Link316

Banned
Taurus said:
Well read and understood, congrats.

But by your logic... doesn't it mean that 3DO should have had at least 6-8 year lifespan instead of 3 years? The price only should have guaranteed it, right?

except that the 3DO didn't have 3rd party support like the PS3 does

felipeko

Mrbob said:
Most of Japanese developers won't go multi.
Wiimote pretty much guarantee that most titltes will be exclusive, even EA is doing it.
They dont have unlimited resources, and they want profit, so yeah, less titles for PS3 if Wii keep at this rate.

Jokeropia

Link316 said:
it'll be #1 in 2011 as long as they stick with the PS3, there's no need for Sony to cut the cycle short
You think third parties will stick with the PS3 if it keeps selling like this?

If you're gonna argue about technological obsolescence, then recognize that it's actually better to spend less money now in anticipation of the inevitable hardware improvements down the line. In 3 years, Nintendo can probably make something way more powerful than the PS3 for the same price.

Mrbob said:

It will when FFIV(FFXIII? Nah, I won't start with that one) and KH3 are announced as Wii exclusives.

XBOX says hi from its grave!

Cooter

So what happens when Nintendo and Microsoft release a brand new console that is only marginally more expensive than Sony's 5 year old system? I don't think this generation will end well for Sony.

PS360

Banned
You guys are riding the coat-tail far and high I see.

4 months + charts, now everyone here's an expert about 4 years from now.

Link316 said:
except that the 3DO didn't have 3rd party support like the PS3 does

Except that the most significant driving force for sales in Japan right now comes from a 1st party company, and it's not Sony.

for a "600" system it went pretty high this week almost as much as the not even half the cost Wii

For a system with no 3rd party support and was designed like a purple lunchbox, the GCn sold really well!

And why are you in a sales thread? I thought you didn't care?

Evlar

Banned
PS360 said:
You guys are riding the coat-tail far and high I see.

4 months + charts, now everyone here's an expert about 4 years from now.
If you have an alternate narrative of how this generation will play out I'd like to hear it.

Top Bottom