• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

titiklabingapat said:
Motorstorm sold pretty good but certainly didn't move much PS3's.

True,
and nice edit
and
I thought we were talking about weather the games were awesome or were just flashy and didn't hold up on gameplay, not how many PS3s they sold.

ethelred

sphinx said:
nintendo-only fans existed throughout all last gen and I can tell you, post RE4, which launched in january 2005, it was all a gamer's nightmare.

if the PS3 is to be something like the Gamecube, then no PS3 only owner should even try to find some kind of relief in Phife Dawg's words.

it WILL suck, if it turns out like the gamecube.

Anyone who chose not to buy a PS2 deserved whatever they suffered through.

frankthurk said:
True,
and nice edit
and
I thought we were talking about weather the games were awesome or were just flashy and didn't hold up on gameplay, not how many PS3s they sold.
I was responding to a sales talk about how Sony will be just fine with just their first party efforts.

laserbeam

Banned
frankthurk said:
True,
and nice edit
and

Motorstorm for the most part was a half finished rush job if we want to be honest about it. What they provided was good but the game certainly wasnt ready with all that was missing from it.

Lair for all the early previews was considered very underwhelming so if people base their opinions on those views thats more reasonable then the random OMG Lair is gonna own the world mentality alot show.

Heavenly Sword was criticized alot for its bland gameplay as well and again its more reasonable to base opinions on those kind of previews then OMG lair looks so great sop its gonna own the world mentality.

Both lair and Heavenly sword get far more credit given to them as far as their awesomeness then is due to them. As you said no ones played them outside of previewers so I dont see where the These 2 titles own the whole fall 2007 mentality comes from that alot of people have.

People seem to equate Pretty graphics and awesome game as one in the same these days

justchris said:
I made no claims that they need to, I'm simply saying it could be advantageous to do it sooner rather than later. I obviously don't have all the information Nintendo would have when making the decision, but I'm certain a case could be made for dropping the DS's price this year. And they could sell it at $99 pretty much indefinitely until DS2 (or GBE, whatever they decide on) is released.

I mean, realistically, the way it's selling, they could also sell it at $130 until DS2 is released. It really could go either way, but I stand by my prediction.
DS is still the equivalent of $150 over there. Ignoring for a moment that a price drop would increase demand even more, if we're looking at a week where they otherwise would've sold 150K at $150, that's a loss of $50 x 150,000. That's $7.5 million. In one region. Per week.

rakka said:
Sony hardly won Japan the two previous gens through its first party efforts, did they?
But there was more japan-centric software available. Or do you honestly think that the poor third-party line-up came as a surprise for Sony?

Sony knew what the devs and publishers were cooking and still decided they don't need more first and second party output.

They must've really thought they had Japan in a bag.

sphinx said:
I can tell you weren't gamecube-only last gen....

EDIT: your post makes perfect sense, but the games' drought of a 3rd place console is nearly unbearable.
As ethel said, no one in their right mind was gamecube only :lol .

But I don't think it will be as bad for PS3 as it was for GC back then.

titiklabingapat said:
The problem is that alot of these Sony published games are unproven. They look good and flashy but if the gameplay don't hold, then you get Lair or Motorstorm. If the stuff with HS turns out to be true(nice presentation but not much actual substance), it could be a disturbing pattern of all flash but little smash.
Well a lot of these games aim at a more cinematic experience. It all depends on your tastes really. I haven't played a PS3 yet so I can't comment on wether the gameplay is good or not. It looked kinda slow to me from watching the vids.

But games like Uncharted will be up to snuff from a gameplay level and make me want to get a PS3 for sure. Then you have MGS and all the multiplat games that are coming. I think there will be enough games on PS3 to make it a worthwhile console.

I'm not talking sales of course so this is slightly off-topic.

AniHawk

laserbeam said:
Motorstorm for the most part was a half finished rush job if we want to be honest about it. What they provided was good but the game certainly wasnt ready with all that was missing from it.

Lair for all the early previews was considered very underwhelming so if people base their opinions on those views thats more reasonable then the random OMG Lair is gonna own the world mentality alot show.

Heavenly Sword was criticized alot for its bland gameplay as well and again its more reasonable to base opinions on those kind of previews then OMG lair looks so great sop its gonna own the world mentality.

Both lair and Heavenly sword get far more credit given to them as far as their awesomeness then is due to them. As you said no ones played them outside of previewers so I dont see where the These 2 titles own the whole fall 2007 mentality comes from that alot of people have.

People seem to equate Pretty graphics and awesome game as one in the same these days
This wouldn't be happening if there wasn't so little coming to the PS3 in the first place.

titiklabingapat said:
I was responding to a sales talk about how Sony will be just fine with just their first party efforts.

Oh ok, cool. But what you quoted

Phife Dawg said:
PS3 will still get it's fair share of games and you have some awesome first and second party stuff in the pipelines. The fact Sony isn't the market leader now and probably won't be in the future doesn't change that.

doesn't say that at all. But I also enjoy jumping in the middle of conversations so I'll just drop it here.

laserbeam

Banned
AniHawk said:
This wouldn't be happening if there wasn't so little coming to the PS3 in the first place.

Thats very true. I still cant understand what sony was doing to leave such a weak lineup early on. They would have been better off leaving FF13 the original PS2 title it was and just get that badboy out. It could have maybe hit this year rather then 2009 at the rate its going.

and with Japan its like they decided Xbox in America was a bigger threat so theyd just coast to victory in japan as their mentality.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
justchris said:
I made no claims that they need to, I'm simply saying it could be advantageous to do it sooner rather than later. I obviously don't have all the information Nintendo would have when making the decision, but I'm certain a case could be made for dropping the DS's price this year. And they could sell it at $99 pretty much indefinitely until DS2 (or GBE, whatever they decide on) is released.

I mean, realistically, the way it's selling, they could also sell it at $130 until DS2 is released. It really could go either way, but I stand by my prediction.

No, really, it's 150k a week during the summer. They are meeting demand now, but what about during the holiday? The extra DSs on the shelf now are only sitting there until december. As soon as that hits, the backstock will be gone. Remember there was a 600k week before the dsl even came out. A price drop would only serve to get rid of the units they will sell this holiday season. And get rid of them at a $50 price cut. Plus create another shortage now. There is no advantage.

All those DSs on the shelf are already sold, that's all there is to it.

test_account

XP-39C²
laserbeam said:

Have you played them?

laserbeam

Banned
test_account said:
Have you played them?

Ive read plenty of Previews of them that I can get an opinion of the game from. But no I havent Played it. But I think its far more reasonable to base an opinion on facts rather then Wow these games look so hot they will own all other titles in 07.

Heavenly Sword has been compared to many games that are endless swarms of enemys to smash and bash and even been called boring after short whiles. Graphics wont save a game if its boring as some have said.

Lair has been panned by alot of people all along. Some are more impressed now but that still doesnt change the negative thats been talked about for a long time.

You cannot seriously sit here and tell me they deserve all the Its over for 2007 these games are the absolute best Hype they are getting from numerous people.

I suspect both games will be good but there is a totally unrealistic level of Goodness placed on them by people at this time

justchris said:
I'm gonna have to say I still think DS will see a price drop this year. It's no longer supply constrained, and Nintendo has put a significant investment into increasing production and shipments. Unless they contracted for a very temporary increase in production, they're going to want more than just for sales to hold steady.

Sure, they're guaranteed a fantastic holiday this year, and they're doing very good in hardware and software, but a drop to the magic $99 price point -
:lol

Dude, why have a price cut when it's selling 150,000 a week? The demand is through the roof: you don't drop the price when your product is selling like free pancakes!

justchris

JoshuaJSlone said:
DS is still the equivalent of $150 over there. Ignoring for a moment that a price drop would increase demand even more, if we're looking at a week where they otherwise would've sold 150K at $150, that's a loss of $50 x 150,000. That's $7.5 million. In one region. Per week.

Oh, I was not aware the DS was still higher priced in Japan. A drop to the equivalent of $130 would probably be more appropriate then.

Kobun Heat said:
*breathes*

*wipes tear from eye*

oh, oh. oh man. that's great. you have any more of those?

No, sorry, that's all I got, but if I think of any more, I'll be sure to let you know.

CANLI

Taiko no Tatsujin and It's a Wonderful World have surely helped to sell more DS this week.
I know that there are some people who'll buy this system only for Taiko.
The game is really great, the pachipens too!
Very addictive, the playlist is really good.
It would be better if they added "tonight" from bleach, "dang dang" from eyeshield 21 and "brand new world" from one piece but I still love the playlist!

Next week, I don't think that it will be in the top10. There are too much stock problems for this game from the first day and also Bandai Namco has recalled all copies because they found a little bug.
My nieces and my uncle loved the game too.
I didn't see a great addictivity DS game from months. (there's Zelda but we have to wait until octover)

So, buy this game!

test_account

XP-39C²
laserbeam said:
Ive read plenty of Previews of them that I can get an opinion of the game from. But no I havent Played it. But I think its far more reasonable to base an opinion on facts rather then Wow these games look so hot they will own all other titles in 07.

Reviews/previews are just one (or several) person's opinion about something, it cant be considered as fact. Altho several of previews might give simular score, another person can think and feel the complete opposite. Take Bioshock for example, it got 10/10 in OXM and is probly going to get high scores other places too, but how many have played it? Some might find it incredible cool, but others might go "it looks good, but its boring to play". True as you say, good gfx cant save a game (this is not directed to Bioshock, i'm talking generally. For the record, i'm looking forward to Bioshock :))

laserbeam said:
You cannot seriously sit here and tell me they deserve all the Its over for 2007 these games are the absolute best Hype they are getting from numerous people.

No, but i can stand and tell you hehe :p Seriously tho, deserve or not, i cant answer that since i havnt played them. But its very common that people go "OMFG!!!" after a few trailers and say stuff like "GOTY" and "1st day purchase!" just based on those trailers, whatever game it must be. The same is going on with HS and Lair. Again, Bioshock, a thread here got GOTY in the topic, but how many have played it? High hype goes for many many games that looks good, HS and Lair arent any exceptions :)

Some of you were saying that, if the PS3 does as bad as GC, then its going to be a bad catalogue of games.

However, at least the GC had 1st party games. the average gamer doesn't buy more than 5-6 games in a gen, so Nintendo covered themselves pretty well. On the other side though, the PS3 does have sheer horsepower, and that will probably attract a few decent games from devs over the gen. It might just balance out.

AniHawk

laserbeam said:

Heavenly Sword has been compared to many games that are endless swarms of enemys to smash and bash and even been called boring after short whiles. Graphics wont save a game if its boring as some have said.

Lair has been panned by alot of people all along. Some are more impressed now but that still doesnt change the negative thats been talked about for a long time.

I suspect both games will be good but there is a totally unrealistic level of Goodness placed on them by people at this time
I doubt either will be remembered as "good."

justchris said:
Oh, I was not aware the DS was still higher priced in Japan. A drop to the equivalent of $130 would probably be more appropriate then.
So with a $20 price drop for 150,000 consoles they'd only be losing out on $3 million. For one region. For one week. :)

laserbeam said:

You'd better wait until these games are actually released before you bash them like that, especially when you haven't played them at all. Reviews for these 2 games vary quite much, and some of them are just based on the game demo but not even the actual game. Perhaps they will not be as big as expected, but it's way too early to say that they are just hypes.

AniHawk

sphinx said:
@ Vinnk and Anihawk:

I remember you guys saying this week's results were crucial for the fate of the PS3 in japan, what do you guys think?
I said if the PS3 couldn't hit 30k-40k fro MC, that there is absolutely no chance something something. I'm not posting from my Mac now, so I'll have to dig up my quote later.

AniHawk

AnimeTheme said:
You'd better wait until these games are actually released before you bash them like that, especially when you haven't played them at all. Reviews for these 2 games vary quite much, and some of them are just based on the game demo but not even the actual game. Perhaps they will not be as big as expected, but it's way too early to say that they are just hypes.
Well sp0rks has said HS wasn't fun to play. Granted, that was a year ago, but another GAFer wasn't thrilled with it either at E3. To me, Lair and HS look like the types of games everyone wishes to be good, despite what early word says, like with Red Steel, or Umbrella Chronicles.

justchris

JoshuaJSlone said:
So with a $20 price drop for 150,000 consoles they'd only be losing out on $3 million. For one region. For one week. :)

It does seem unlikely for a company as conservative as Nintendo, and I may change my mind after seeing weekly sales through August.

Taking it from another direction, what do you think weekly sales would have to drop to for Nintendo to consider a price drop?

Excuse me 1337ist... but I was Gamecube only last generation and darn proud of it.

There was nothing wrong with being GCN only, it was swarmed with AAA titles. After 2005, I had the DS and GBA to play, and sadly lost the thrill of playing games at the pace I did when GCN was in its' full stride

apujunata, to thinK I had this to say merely two weeks ago:

LanceStern said:
Results/Analysis
> The Nintendo DS has beaten both it's Q2 2006 and Q2 2005 YTD by ~ 100k and 2.5 million respectably
> The DSs 2007 YTD by Week 22 is just shy of 130,000 units. It is guaranteed to beat it's 06 (Wk. 26) YTD AT LEAST two weeks earlier by Week 24
> For the Nintendo DS to beat it's Q3 2006 YTD (5,790,402), it would have to sell an average of 92,000 units each week for the next 9 weeks
> The DS, before the release of new colors was averaging 105k - 120k each week, meaning for the first time this year, the DS may not beat its 2006 YTD
> Some key releases and perhaps a price drop however, may just propel it WELL above 140,000, which could drastically lower the average it needs to beat Q3 2007
> The Nintendo DS in Q3 2006 (Week 27 - Week 39) sold 2.24 million units; For the DS in Q3 2007 to beat it, it would have to sell an average of 179,000 units each week for 11 weeks
> That might just be impossible at the DS's current level. But it's so close considering how absolutely insane DS 2006 was selling.

But now:

DSQ3PNG-2.png

Results/Analysis
> The Nintendo DS has beaten both it's Q2 2006 and Q2 2005 YTD by ~ 100k and 2.5 million respectably
- The DSs 2007 YTD by Week 22 is just shy of 130,000 units. It is guaranteed to beat it's 06 (Wk. 26) YTD AT LEAST two weeks earlier by Week 24
> Nintendo DS average weekly sales: 148800
* Average calculated off the previous 5 weeks of DS MC Hardware sales
> For the Nintendo DS to beat it's Q3 2006 YTD (5,790,402 it would have to sell an average of 137,000 units each week for the next 9 weeks
- With week 29 and 30 providing a decent bump in DS weekly hardware sales, what was once an unfathomable goal of 140k per week to reach its Q3 2006 YTD, has been pleasantly lowered to an average the Nintendo DS can reach.
- As a matter of fact, with the average DS sales continuing the way they are, the DS will surpass by a significant amount, its 2006 End of Q3 YTD
> The Nintendo DS in Q3 2006 (Week 27 - Week 39) sold 2.24 million units; For the DS in Q3 2007 to beat it, it would have to sell an average of 184,000 units each week for 9 weeks
- While the colors and software releases allowed the DS's 2007 YTD to easily outpace the 2006 YTD, it still was nowhere near enough to cover the average of 179,000 units per week it needed to sell to even up with the amount of DS's Sold in Q3 2006 (Week 27 - 39). Impossible to achieve now, but the good news is its' YTD will be higher.

noonche

AlphaSnake said:
I say this every week, but I really don't get why Sony is ignoring Japan. That's what it blatantly is - ignoring.

No price cuts, no pressure on publishers, insane gaps between noteworthy games. Sony needs to have the PS3 averaging 25-35k units a week to stay competitive in Japan.

I actually think that this is a result of Sony's internal structure. All 1st party development seems to be coordinated by the World-Wide studios, which is a western-oriented division. I think that they need a group that directs and manages development of Japan-focused games to really be successful. A Japanese Phil Harrison and his group if you will. Unfortunately, the ideal time to create such a group was probably 2003 or 2004.

justchris said:
No, sorry, that's all I got, but if I think of any more, I'll be sure to let you know.
Oh. But!

They keep on coming! You should take this act on the road! My sides are splitting!

Loonz

ethelred said:
Anyone who chose not to buy a PS2 deserved whatever they suffered through.

Yeah, I'll remember that when, in 2 year's time*, the PS3 that costed me 600€ has almost no games to play :(.

*: if nothing changes drastically.

Deku

Banned
diddlyD said:
also, if minna no golf can't even bump the ps3 to a 30k week, then i don't think ill be surprised when mgs4 and ffxiii come out and it doesn't top 40k. the ps3 is just so dead in japan it's really hard to fathom. every week the news is the same but it doesn't seem to want to sink in.

FFXIII will see a huge bump potentially even suparssing Wii sales for the same week. N64 managed it with Zelda. The problem is, FFXIII is so far off its practically irrelevant at this point and who knows what SE will do in the interim.

But a sub 30k PS3 with such a huge title doesn't bode well for the PS3.

Um, PSP increased again and continues its lately very irregular sales...well, sure going from 25k to 40k isn't much change compared to DS-Wii bumps-drops but its surely weird because PSP always was more regular.

5.75m LTD too, and it doesn't seem to be affected by the new model coming in September (I thought it would go slowly down to 20k or so). Maybe Sony letting PSP have an open price is making shops discount it to sell remaining old models stock (maybe we could have Vinnk look at this matter?). I really wonder how is the new model going to do, I suppose not many people will change their old one for a new one since the changes aren't very drastic...but maybe it could go for 50k a few weeks following launch thanks to Crisis Core too of course.

milanbaros

Member?
Snes->N64 Nintendo started to rely heavily on handheld performance i.e. pokemon

PS2-PS3 Sony will have to start to rely heavily on handheld performance?

apujanata

Dragona Akehi said:
No offense, but when the system is selling 150k a week, it probably doesn't need a price drop any time soon.

If a console is selling 15K a week, it does need a price drop, asap.
If a console is selling 150K a week, it does not need a price drop, nor does it need a price increase.
If a console is selling 1500K a week, it need a price increase, asap, to lower the weekly sales. Otherwise, the earth will sink from the weight of all those sold console in less than 5 years.

sp0rsk said:
PS3 PS2 and PSP almost matched Wii this week.

This proves that Nintendo = Sony + Microsoft + DS (in japan, at least).

AnimeTheme said:

So what is there to be hyped about? Pretty graphics?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
slaughterking said:
How many units did the cube sold when he was on the market as many weeks as the PS3 is right now?
JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii comparisons: At 35 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 128.5 weeks (February 25, 2004), where GBA was at 27.9 weeks (September 29, 2001), where DS was at 42.4 weeks (September 21, 2005), where PS2 was at 46.6 weeks (January 18, 2001), and where PSP was at 68.7 weeks (March 30, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 38 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 4.3 weeks (March 28, 2000), where PSP was at 14.0 weeks (March 12, 2005), where GCN was at 16.7 weeks (January 3, 2002), and where Wii was at 5.5 weeks (January 3, 2001).

DS vs PSP: Weekly ratio of 81.1 / 18.9, bringing the total ratio to 76.3 / 23.7.

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly ratio of 27.2 / 72.8, PS3's best ratio since the week after Gundabump (41.9). This brings the total ratio to 24.0 / 76.0, a slight movement in PS3's favor. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 76.5 weeks (January 15, 2009).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates Wii catches up to PSP in 60.1 weeks (September 22, 2008).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, PS2 and DS meet up in 14.9 weeks (November 10, 2007) at ~20.81 million apiece.

AniHawk

AniHawk said:
I said if the PS3 couldn't hit 30k-40k fro MC, that there is absolutely no chance something something. I'm not posting from my Mac now, so I'll have to dig up my quote later.

Here we go:

AniHawk said:
Hot Shots Golf 5.

Basically, if it does absolutely nothing for PS3 sales (and I mean doesn't get it to 30k-40k levels), the system is never coming back, ever, and the Playstation's brand name in Japan will be effectively meaningless.

Figure out something else, Sony.

This is incredibly obvious but since it seems to be not being said I'll say it anyway:
ps2/saturn

PS3 lives onwards, in all of your people's saturn/gamecube comparisons have failed to notice that there was a hardcore machine for people to buy vs thoese machines. 360 is not a happy factor in Japan, so PS3 default wins there for hardcore gamers, thus sony really doesn't have to do much of the caring there as America is the battleground for the next-generation.

Might as well look at hot exclusives in Japan as being DMC4, FFXII, MGS4, SH5 etc etc. obviously wii wil come out on top, but PS3 is not going to falter, it's not like they are just going to go up and port these games to Wii. They aren't coming to wii and It doesn't matter if dmc4 comes out at the same time for both consoles(360 and ps3), the ps3 will be the one that gets the DMC4 bump.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
This is incredibly obvious but since it seems to be not being said I'll say it anyway:
ps2/saturn

PS3 lives onwards, in all of your people's saturn/gamecube comparisons have failed to notice that there was a hardcore machine for people to buy vs thoese machines. 360 is not a happy factor in Japan, so PS3 default wins there for hardcore gamers, thus sony really doesn't have to do much of the caring there as America is the battleground for the next-generation.

Might as well look at hot exclusives in Japan as being DMC4, FFXII, MGS4, SH5 etc etc. obviously wii wil come out on top, but PS3 is not going to falter, it's not like they are just going to go up and port these games to wii. It doesn't matter if dmc4 comes out at the same time for both consoles, the ps3 will be the one that gets the DMC4 bump.

I guess Sony's winning the next-gen handheld race too. Better luck next time, Nintendo.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
ps2/saturn

Might as well look at hot exclusives in Japan as being DMC4, FFXII, MGS4, SH5 etc etc. obviously wii wil come out on top, but PS3 is not going to falter, it's not like they are just going to go up and port these games to wii. It doesn't matter if dmc4 comes out at the same time for both consoles, the ps3 will be the one that gets the DMC4 bump.

So the Wii is incapable of being a "hardcore" gaming machine? Oookay. >.>

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
sp0rsk said:
PS3 PS2 and PSP almost matched Wii this week.

Waits for Sony spin PR saying "Playstation Brand enjoying resurgence in Japan, also outsells next-gen by nearly 10 times last week"

Seriously, 30k PS3 sales? 40k (Famitsu figure) isn't even Gundabump stylee sales, but 30k is appalling, Sony has nothing now in Japan this year, it's over, PS3 has failed in Japan this year, unbelieveable merely a year ago, now, harsh fact, Sony need to get a strategy for 2008 sorted quickly, and it needs it to be so awesome, otherwise the Sony/Nintendo switch will be complete (In Japan).

Edit: Spelling and "factual" errors, heh.

Top Bottom