• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

Stop it, I think it's a bit early to say whether MP8 will reach best MP sales ever. Too early indeed.

In regards to both IAWW and Dewy being released as new IPs to a monster week:

Chess.jpg

"I'll counter the Mario Party Opening with a New IP Defense"

Brofist

AlphaSnake said:
HSG5 was on store shelves on the 27th, right (shipped 26th)? If so, the chart only tracked 2 days of its sales. It'll probably still be in the top 10 next week.

don't go saying that, you'll ruin the party

justchris

AlphaSnake said:
HSG5 was on store shelves on the 27th, right (shipped 26th)? If so, the chart only tracked 2 days of its sales. It'll probably still be in the top 10 next week.

You mean the same amount of time as every other new game on this chart? Yes, games are usually released on Thursdays in Japan. And that would be 3 days of sales, not 2.

Still, it if has any kind of legs, it should still be in the top 10 next week. I can't think of anything major releasing this week to interfere.

justchris said:
You mean the same amount of time as every other new game on this chart? Yes, games are usually released on Thursdays in Japan. And that would be 3 days of sales, not 2.

Still, it if has any kind of legs, it should still be in the top 10 next week. I can't think of anything major releasing this week to interfere.

Forever Blue....... BELIEVE

justchris

DefectiveReject said:
Forever Blue....... BELIEVE

Well, Famitsu did give it a very good review, but I don't think the Wii audience has a lot of overlap with the Famitsu audience. Anyway, what were shipments on Forever Blue?

rakka

FlightOfHeaven said:
I was about to ask this, actually.

Would Dewy and GG:AC fared better on some other week?

Bad games with no advertising won't sell regardless of when they're released.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Lightning said:
I actually think that Hot Shots Golf done quite well. It was never going to out sell MP8 but to sell 1/5 of the PS3 userbase is quite impressive, imo.

btw, which numbers are more accurate: Famitzu or Media Create? Because they seem to differ by quite a bit each week. :lol

Lowered expectations ftw! Come on, there has to be some deluded people out there who still thought that Minna No Golf 5 would be the saviour of PS3, sell 1mil first week and shift more PS3s than could be shipped...

Seriously, MnG5 is a bomb in terms of the series, it's one of the best versions of the game (Going by Famitsus rating, but hey), looks great, and is a lone star in a sea of woe for Sony, and it still only manages 150k first week, if that isn't a bomba I don't know what is.

rakka said:
Bad games with no advertising won't sell regardless of when they're released.
Dewy isn't a bad game though
Just not advertised

justchris said:
Well, Famitsu did give it a very good review, but I don't think the Wii audience has a lot of overlap with the Famitsu audience. Anyway, what were shipments on Forever Blue?

Matters not.
Its Nintendo published game so will get advertised and is probably the first real online Wii Co-Op game in Japan

rakka

FlightOfHeaven said:
Hey, hey, hey.

They were excellent games. GG is a good fighter, and Dewy reviewed well.

Alright, it may have been decent, but 2 year olds don't play games.
Konami + Nintendo = Fail
They think we're all babies or something.

rakka said:
Konami + Nintendo = Fail

GTFOOH

Sometimes you make one or two decent posts, but you post some hellova crap.
This is really not good stuff to go posting

pswii60

FlightOfHeaven said:
Hey, hey, hey.

They were excellent games. GG is a good fighter, and Dewy reviewed well.

They deserved at least 20k. : /

I'm still going to get Dewy when it comes out in the UK as really liked the look of the vids. I just hope it does better in the West to give a glimmer of hope for a sequel.

Unless I think it sucks after playing it, of course.

Btw, there was one more bomb as in not making even to top30. Sarugetchu Sarusaru Daisakusen...er, Ape Escape PSP with a monkey on the lead. Going from Famitsu it sold like 10-15k, can't remember now.

Its a Wonderful World reminds me of Tales of the Tempest, both really overshipped with 200k and sold only like ~80k first week. Thanfully for SE, IaWW shouldn't be as front-loaded as an established series like Tales, and the game itself looks like its quite better, so the price collapse to sell all the remaining stock shouldn't be so hard. In the end ToT ended with 200k, but it was a bomb like there is only a few a year...like Gundam One Year War or Nodame Cantabile going from memory.

Now remembering this...I don't think IaWW case is as problematic as those other titles...

Deku

Banned
rakka tried too hard. Should have stuck to parroting those next-gen news stories, or was it his cover to troll these threads.

rakka

DefectiveReject said:
*Shakes head*

Jimbo and rakka, making Nintendo sales threads crappy since 2007

Excuse me?

Just because I express my dislike for dewy, I'm ruining Nintendo sales threads?

You do know that the Wii is my favorite console this gen?

rakka

or was it his cover to troll these threads.

Oh give me a break. :(

I'm being labelled a troll soley because of Dewy?

Name one other game where I've done this. That's right, none.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
10. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 32,000 / 1,943,000

Tf53 said:

Indeed, 2 weeks from 2 million sold, who would have thought it, Wii Sports will be the game that is looked back on as the game that signalled a seismic shift in console gaming forever (Especially in Japan), believe.

Dewy's Adventure looks marvelous. It has a really nice art-direction and actually looks to be pushing the hardware. (Excuse my ignorance, but the enemies do have normal mapping, right?)

Konami with team Elebits, (whatever the team is actually called) is something of a god-send. They're one of the few third party developers making new ips for the system that actually take advantage of the hardware. It's a shame Dewy isn't selling as well as it should be. Though, Elebits never really burned up the chart either--it topped out around ~35k, correct?

Sharp

Deku said:
rakka tried too hard. Should have stuck to parroting those next-gen news stories, or was it his cover to troll these threads.
Deku, you see trolls everywhere and sometimes you look a little too hard. rakka is sort of dumb but he's not a troll.

Colonel Mustard said:
Though, Elebits never really burned up the chart either--it topped out around ~35k, correct?
Nope. 60-70k in Japan alone. Good word of mouth really boosted sales.

Wow I can't believe that Wii Sports and Zelda PH are managing to hang on in the top 10 even with all these new releases on the same day! These two are gonna last for a good while!

01. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 265,000 / NEW (Expected it at number 1, but it actually sold even more than I expected!)
02. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 (Sony) - 152,000 / NEW (Did about what I was expecting really)
03. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco) - 94,000 / NEW (Better than expected, I was thinking around 60-70k!)
04. [NDS] It's a Wonderful World (Square-Enix) - 77,000 / NEW (BOMBA TOTALMENT :( )
05. [WII] Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (Bandai-Namco) - 46,000 / NEW (Lower than expected :D )
06. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Capcom) - 45,000 / NEW (WTF did this one come from, I had no idea it was coming out last week!)
07. [360] The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Spike) - 40,000 / NEW (Expected, good for a 360 game but of course it won't last)
08. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 37,000 / 668,000 (ZELDA'S A MONSTER!)
09. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 (Konami) - 34,000 / 187,000 (Wow, it's still here?!)
10. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 32,000 / 1,943,000 (It just won't die!)

I'm surprised that Pro Baseball stayed and Wii Play and DQ Swords got kicked out of the top ten! Also isn't this the lowest that Brain Training and ACWW have ever been? I'm sure that they'll bounce back next week!

It's really sad to see IAWW and Dewy's Adventure bomb though, we could well be looking at the beginning of the end for S-E (They are now paying the price for milking FF and DQ and producing nothing but cash in crap) What happens now? do they shift all of their focus on existing franchises and carry on milking them to death? or do they finally start taking the western markets seriously and start looking at the sales over here? (Pray that IAWW sells well outside Japan!!!)

I really don't see S-E looking beyond Japan, they just don't seem to care about anyone else and if their core market has rejected them (Just look at the responses that you generally see from Jpn gamers saying how S-E is dead to them after they shitted out SD4 and it stunk!) then they have no choice but to try again and go back to their old SNES/PS1 selves or start aiming at the western markets (Which they will never ever do)

They need to stop with the FF and DQ milking and focus only on new franchises and proper sequels to their old franchise (No spin offs, ports or remakes) or else, FF13 could truly be S-E's Final Fantasy (It's budget is massive and it's highly unlikely that it's gonna sell any where near as well as previous installments. Remember the damage that FF Spirits Within did!)

C.T.

jj984jj said:
Can someone translate this? Although IaWW has better debut numbers compared to a lot of other games, I don't think sinobi's report is all that positive. S-E probably expected a lot more out of it.

It seems the first shipment was far greater and a lot of copies remained on shelfs. This source expects a price cut on the software really soon.

Edit: Sorry, little late to the party.

.dmc

Banned
GAF is only high on Dewy because it's a rare exception to the '3rd party games look shit' rule. Hands on reports have been fairly lukewarm (not bad, not great) + let's face it, now matter how attractive it is, it comes across as a sub-Teletubbies in tone. Not that I think it deserved 1.5k sales, but I think it's an attractive graphics engine attached to a mediocre IP, I'm not that surprised it hasn't resonated.

Perhaps if more people knew about the normal mapping huh? Take that Cassamassina!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Sharp said:
Deku, you see trolls everywhere and sometimes you look a little too hard. rakka is sort of dumb but he's not a troll.

I'd say he's a troll of Dewy's Adventure though, you should check out all his comments on the game lately.

Cheesemeister said:
It's a Wonderful World sold about 80,000 units in its first week, only about 40% of the initial shipment, garnering only modest lines. Many shops still have the limited edition hardware bundle. Prices started to drop on Monday.

I will never cease to be amazed at how front-loaded sales are in Japan (of anything, have you seen pop music charts over there?), to the point where a videogame release "garnering only modest lines" is a big disappointment.

MnG did quite well, I guessed 100.000 first week sales. Didn't expect MP8 to steamroll it like that though.

justchris said:

Don't ruin the party.

rakka said:
Konami + Nintendo = Fail
Wait, you liked Loco Roco but hate on Dewey for being too kiddy?

Strange times indeed.

verplant

AlphaSnake said:

Yeees.

cgiii20a.jpg

HSG5 ist the first game since.. hm.. about two years, which launched in japan on thursday!!!

EDIT: And it's the first time, MC charts are from Monday to Sunday... woooww :lol ... so lets count ALL the days, MnG5 was available!!!

Lobster

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Wow I can't believe that Wii Sports and Zelda PH are managing to hang on in the top 10 even with all these new releases on the same day! These two are gonna last for a good while!

01. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 265,000 / NEW (Expected it at number 1, but it actually sold even more than I expected!)
02. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 (Sony) - 152,000 / NEW (Did about what I was expecting really)
03. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco) - 94,000 / NEW (Better than expected, I was thinking around 60-70k!)
04. [NDS] It's a Wonderful World (Square-Enix) - 77,000 / NEW (BOMBA TOTALMENT :( )
05. [WII] Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 (Bandai-Namco) - 46,000 / NEW (Lower than expected :D )
06. [PSP] Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Capcom) - 45,000 / NEW (WTF did this one come from, I had no idea it was coming out last week!)
07. [360] The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Spike) - 40,000 / NEW (Expected, good for a 360 game but of course it won't last)
08. [NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) - 37,000 / 668,000 (ZELDA'S A MONSTER!)
09. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 14 (Konami) - 34,000 / 187,000 (Wow, it's still here?!)
10. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 32,000 / 1,943,000 (It just won't die!)

I'm surprised that Pro Baseball stayed and Wii Play and DQ Swords got kicked out of the top ten! Also isn't this the lowest that Brain Training and ACWW have ever been? I'm sure that they'll bounce back next week!

Actually I find it more amazing how close that Wii baseball game is to the PS2 game. The Wii one is at #20 and propably sold around 20k-23k.

DQS wasn't expected for me..its dropping fast..last week 50k and this week like 30k. I thought it would still remain in the top 10.

jercruz

I just read an article from digg, which links to vgcharz (sorry), that for that the ps3 sold 37,524 units for this week period. :O

might be false, though. just want to give a heads up.

mutsu

Why are people expecting so much from IAWW? I know it is Square-Enix and DS and all that, but it is a completely new franchise guys. When was the last time that Square-Enix introduced a new franchise, and how well did that do? If we have such a game and numbers for its first week and make some comparisons then we can talk.

jercruz said:
I just read an article from digg, which links to vgcharz (sorry), that for that the ps3 sold 37,524 units for this week period. :O

might be false, though. just want to give a heads up.

You better edit it out before you get banned!

ksamedi

mutsu said:
Why are people expecting so much from IAWW? I know it is Square-Enix and DS and all that, but it is a completely new franchise guys. When was the last time that Square-Enix introduced a new franchise, and how well did that do? If we have such a game and numbers for its first week and make some comparisons then we can talk.

You better edit it out before you get banned!

Well none ever does FF levels, i remember Vagrant story bomb hard despite being a very good RPG.

Top Bottom