• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

justchris said:
You mean the same amount of time as every other new game on this chart? Yes, games are usually released on Thursdays in Japan. And that would be 3 days of sales, not 2.

Still, it if has any kind of legs, it should still be in the top 10 next week. I can't think of anything major releasing this week to interfere.

Shouldn't Thursday - Sunday be four days of sales?

legend166

jercruz said:
I just read an article from digg, which links to vgcharz (sorry), that for that the ps3 sold 37,524 units for this week period. :O

might be false, though. just want to give a heads up.

6b4mqlk.gif

jercruz

Oh, I didn't know that it was disallowed. Probably because i've only picked up my neogaf browsing so I'm not aware of the list sites not allowed. Still feel stupid about it.

Sorry about that post.

Frillen

This is the first time in over a year that the DS has less than 15 titles in the top 30. Not that it matters though.

And, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with LanceStern regarding IAWW's sales. How much did you guys really expect that game to sell? A new IP with a VERY special art style.

Frillen said:
And, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agrre with LanceStern regarding IAWW's sales. Hoe much did you guys really expect that game to sell? A new IP with a VERY special art style.

The game appeared to be heavily promoted by square-enix and they apparently even expected quite a bit considering shipment numbers. Most of GAF seemed to predict less though, but we're not really going by GAF's expectations here. S-E expected big things for the games, but with the low sell through ratio and the early discounts -- it's hard to consider it a success. It's eerily reminiscent of what happened to Tales of the Tempest, actually.

I saw what vgcrap showed for PS3 sales as well. over 25k sales would definately be a Golfbump. But will those sales stay around next week? Either way PS3 is picking up steam. NOT statistical noise.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
perfectchaos007 said:
I saw what vgcrap showed for PS3 sales as well. over 25k sales would definately be a Golfbump. But will those sales stay around next week? Either way PS3 is picking up steam. NOT statistical noise.

You mean like how PS3 picked up steam after Gundam Musou? Oh wait...

This is merely another blip, like Gundabump, within a month PS3 will be back to selling less than 15k a week.

C.T.

perfectchaos007 said:

??? You don't know gundabump? Picking up steam = longer than a week.

Frillen

perfectchaos007 said:

No, it's hard for games on the PS3 to have decent legs 'cause of the low install base. Which means that Minna no Golf will most likely have mediocre legs and drop like a huge rock, just like Sigma, Virtua Figter 5, Gundam Musou etc.

This directly result into the fact that the PS3 will fall hard next week, probably around 20k, then the week after down to sub 13k.

C.T.

Rancid Mildew said:
I'm just going by that thread that was celebrating the day one sales of the golf game. Was there a correction issued?

think for yourself. do you think it stopped selling after the first day? then why is it still 15xk?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rancid Mildew said:
I'm just going by that thread that was celebrating the day one sales of the golf game. Was there a correction issued?

No correction was issued because the site that originally reported it didn't say anything about the game selling 150k in one day; only sites using Babelfish or Google Translation to translate the original report thought this... and the fact that the story was wrong was mentioned about two dozen times in the original thread.

KINGMOKU

perfectchaos007 said:

realityisacruelmistress.jpg

Parl

That train won't arrive at the station for a while yet. SE have reportedly only down-scaled 17% of the textures thus far.

Is this the lowest Animal Crossing has ever gone.

Notice Brain Age, English training, they're all really low. The only one maintaining its position is Mario Kart. I bet they'll be back up again. Probably do aaround 50k during Holiday week.

BuzzJive

VultureDude said:
what's the story with Dewy? wasn't it supposed to be advertised as a great new IP? poor reviews? what's the deal?

Dewy has normal mapping. Japan doesn't like the normal maps.

Can someone post that gif of Nintendo crew in a car, all singing and dancing. I want to show it to someone, but have no clue where I saw it.

Quick please, or I'll lose his interest.

Thanks in advance.

Olaeh

the thoroughbred said:
Can someone post that gif of Nintendo crew in a car, all singing and dancing. I want to show it to someone, but have no clue where I saw it.

Quick please, or I'll lose his interest.

Thanks in advance.

wii_win.gif

VerTiGo

Banned
I wouldn't call It's A Wonderful World a bomb just yet. You can't expect the majority of a new IPs market success to be front-loaded... especially when taking into consideration the performance of many of Nintendo's touch generations games.

Additionally, DQS seems to have been received very well critically. Do we have an idea of its availability? It may be in limited supply.

farnham

Banned
Iaww is not a bomb.. its not a success either though.. i wished for 150k in the first week.. but maybe it has legs as most of the SE DS titles..

SAD ABOUT DEWEY... Really sad...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
VerTiGo said:
I wouldn't call It's A Wonderful World a bomb just yet. You can't expect the majority of a new IPs market success to be front-loaded... especially when taking into consideration the performance of many of Nintendo's touch generations games.

So in your opinion, ethelred's list of eight or nine other Square IPs showing that all of them except Threads of Fate and Live-a-Live debuted substantially better than IAWW is bunkum because Brain Age has long legs?

Isn't it probably better to compare IAWW to previous Square IPs rather than Nintendo games?

donny2112

Supposition:
What if instead of a big release on a losing system "bump"ing up sales for the system, it is actually siphoning off future sales by getting people to buy the system earlier than they had planned. The net result of that would be no additional sales overall.

PS3 (actual):
Code:
19 Feb - 25 Feb   19,315
[b]26 Feb - 4 Mar    44,000  <- Gundabump[/b]
5 Mar - 11 Mar    32,115
12 Mar - 18 Mar   21,635
19 Mar - 25 Mar   20,459
26 Mar - 1 Apr    16,889
2 Apr - 8 Apr     14,520
9 Apr - 15 Apr    11,948
16 Apr - 22 Apr   11,000
23 Apr - 29 Apr   12,791
30 Apr - 6 May    12,974
7 May - 13 May     8,839
14 May - 20 May    8,659
21 May - 27 May    9,627
28 May - 3 Jun     8,998
4 Jun - 10 Jun     8,776
11 Jun - 17 Jun    9,481
18 Jun - 24 Jun    9,581
25 Jun - 1 Jul    11,914
2 Jul - 8 Jul     12,691
9 Jul - 15 Jul    13,493

[b]Total: 319,705[/b]

Let's say that Gundam Musou wasn't released and sales steadily decreased from Feb 19-25 (~19K) to Jul 9-15 (~13K).

PS3 (hypothetical):
Code:
19 Feb - 25 Feb   19,000
[b]26 Feb - 4 Mar    18,700  <- No bump, but a steady decrease[/b]
5 Mar - 11 Mar    18,400
12 Mar - 18 Mar   18,100
19 Mar - 25 Mar   17,800
26 Mar - 1 Apr    17,500
2 Apr - 8 Apr     17,200
9 Apr - 15 Apr    16,900
16 Apr - 22 Apr   16,600
23 Apr - 29 Apr   16,300
30 Apr - 6 May    16,000
7 May - 13 May    15,700
14 May - 20 May   15,400
21 May - 27 May   15,100
28 May - 3 Jun    14,800
4 Jun - 10 Jun    14,500
11 Jun - 17 Jun   14,200
18 Jun - 24 Jun   13,900
25 Jun - 1 Jul    13,600
2 Jul - 8 Jul     13,300
9 Jul - 15 Jul    13,000

[b]Total: 336,000[/b]

The total is actually higher for the PS3 if it could have maintained a steady rate of decline instead of having the Gundabump. If this supposition holds true, we'll see a Minna no Golf 5 bump followed by sub-10K weeks again a couple of months later. If this supposition is correct and applied last generation in Japan, GameCube fans had nothing but false hope whenever a new "big" game would temporarily boost hardware sales followed by a decline.

In short if this is correct, "big" releases help owners of a losing system feel better for a while, but do nothing to help the overall sales of a system improve.

VerTiGo

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
So in your opinion, ethelred's list of eight or nine other Square IPs showing that all of them except Threads of Fate and Live-a-Live debuted substantially better than IAWW is bunkum because Brain Age has long legs?

Isn't it probably better to compare IAWW to previous Square IPs rather than Nintendo games?

No. I'm saying that success is not guaranteed off the bat. If IAWW is a good and unique enough game, word of mouth could indeed prolong the game's sales over a long period of time. It's also not something that seems like it was designed for the general Square Enix fanbase.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny2112 said:
Supposition: ...
In short if this is correct, "big" releases help owners of a losing system feel better for a while, but do nothing to help the overall sales of a system improve.

I do think there's a kernel of truth to this in the sense that if I'm planning to buy a system for five big upcoming games, and I choose to buy it when the first of those five debuts, it adds a sale to that week and subtracts it from a hypothetical future week when I would be buying it.

But there's also a phenomenon you ignore--in Japan, major releases are normally hallmarked by bumps in part because many gamers buy a console with a major release, and then trade the console back after finishing the game. I'd say at least a third-a half of the Blue Dragon-driven X360 console sales have been traded back.

And I'd say that this is more likely to happen for the losing consoles, beause on a system like the DS where there's a wide array of perceived compelling software, the value-loss on the trade is going to be higher than on a system like the 360 when people only want Blue Dragon or on the PS3 when people only want Gundam/MinGol.

(This is hugely important when talking about games that sell out because the sales of used games and consoles from the tradeback process directly steals from the potential sales of new games and consoles)

VerTiGo

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

But there's also a phenomenon you ignore--in Japan, major releases are normally hallmarked by bumps in part because many gamers buy a console with a major release, and then trade the console back after finishing the game. I'd say at least a third-a half of the Blue Dragon-driven X360 console sales have been traded back.

I'd love to know where you get the assumption that consoles have been traded back. I can't believe this, especially when taking into consideration that there have been quite a few Xbox 360 releases that made some pretty decent debuts on the platform, and I don't think 40,000 Japanese consumers went out of their way to buy an Xbox 360 for Oblivion when reported hardware sales for that X360 that week are no more than 4,000.

MaddenNFL64

Bad week for Dewy to release. Not just against Mario Party 8 & MnG 5, but every platform had at least one game with good sales. Damn.

Christine

Remember that people buy the used consoles, not just sell them. If there is indeed a bump associated with a major title followed by the insertion of a large number of consoles into the used market, it could cause the numbers of new consoles sold to be suppressed over subsequent weeks. Not every person who buys a used console would have bought a new one if the used one wasn't available, but every person who does buy a used console has no need to buy a new one, so it should be seen as replacing a new sale that might occur.

KevinRo

donny2112 said:

Then I guess 'big' releases should never be released on a not-yet-so-successful system. Evar.

What lesson will Konami take from Dewy?

a) not to make new IPs for the Wii
b) that they misread the demographic for the system
c) to avoid the Wii
d) other

crbowen

VultureDude said:

c) to avoid the Wii
d) other

I'm going with B.

They made games called ELEBITS and DEWY. They just sound kiddie.

Konami, Casual Gamers aren't 5 year olds.

Jiggy

VultureDude said:

c) to avoid the Wii
d) other
B, and also a bit of D: not releasing at the same time as a bunch of high-profile games.
Possibly A. They shouldn't, but they might think that way.

Haunted One said:
wow, 7 new games in the Top 10, Mario Party on fire and Minna no Golf does much worse than expected.

Again, I cannot see really why a 20% attach rate is bad. Ok, it's not the 80-85% of Zelda in the USA (btw, best attach rate ever for a non-packed game for the launch?), but it could have legs. What is bad, is that it seems that the hardware has been boosted less then Gundam. And this is bad for the second biggest IP of Sony in Japan.

C.T.

VerTiGo said:
I'd love to know where you get the assumption that consoles have been traded back. I can't believe this, especially when taking into consideration that there have been quite a few Xbox 360 releases that made some pretty decent debuts on the platform, and I don't think 40,000 Japanese consumers went out of their way to buy an Xbox 360 for Oblivion when reported hardware sales for that X360 that week are no more than 4,000.

japanese GAFer reported it. Sure there are hardcore gamer won't sell their 360, but RPG lovers for example bought the blue dragon bundle for the game only and sold it afterwards.

Top Bottom