• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 7/23 - 7/29

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
28k?

That's not even a bump. That's like a zit that hasn't shown up on your forehead yet.

31./00. [NDS] Mamegoma: Heartwarming Diary (TDK Core)
32./23. [NDS] English Training (Nintendo)
33./21. [NDS] Pokémon Pearl (Pokémon)
34./00. [PSP] Ape Escape: Big Monkey Mission (Sony)
35./05. [NDS] Mushi King Super Collection (Sega)
36./29. [NDS] Yoshi's Island DS (Nintendo)
37./00. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
38./28. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2M (IE Institute)
39./30. [NDS] Common Knowledge Training (Nintendo)
40./26. [NDS] Mega Man ZX Advent (Capcom)
41./34. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan (Hudson)
42./24. [NDS] Kirarin Revolution: Mezase Idol Queen! (Konami)
43./19. [NDS] Saiyuki: Gold and Silver Conspiracy (D3 Publisher)
44./31. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
45./40. [NDS] Detailed Japanese History B Total Training (Bandai-Namco)
46./12. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary (Nintendo)
47./00. [NDS] Qualification Exam DS (Sega)
48./20. [WII] Momotarou Dentetsu 16 (Hudson)
49./46. [NDS] Kekkaishi: Tale of the Raven Forest (Bandai-Namco)
50./00. [NGC] Gotcha Force (Capcom)

NDS - 30
WII - 7
PS2 - 6
PSP - 3
PS3 - 2
360 - 1
NGC - 1

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   150,584 |   154,504 | 4,557,874 | 18,563,553
2. WII   -    77,169 |    86,786 | 2,303,940 |  3,223,583
3. PSP   -    35,068 |    32,894 | 1,221,633 |  5,753,762
4. PS3   -    28,829 |    12,187 |   560,131 |  1,017,689
5. PS2   -    11,757 |    14,059 |   476,086 | 20,630,945
6. 360   -     3,872 |     2,664 |   130,431 |    395,133
7. GBA   -       532 |       461 |    42,830 | 15,340,909
8. NGC   -       102 |       131 |     8,932 |  4,178,400
GBA = 41 GBA + 228 SP + 263 Micro
NDS = 90 DS + 150,494 Lite

s_20070723.png

JohnsonUT

A parser takes some continuous data input (in this case, the media create website) and breaks it into meaningful information.

For example, the parser cheese is talking about probably looks at a one row of data at a time and determines the first column is the ranking. The second column is the platform. The third is the game's name.

iammeiam

Frillen said:
DSL 150,494
Wii 77,169
PSP 35,068
PS3 28,829
PS2 11,757
Xbox360 3,872
GBM 263
GBASP 228
GC 102
DS 90
GBA 41

Holy cowboy, a GC game in the top 50!

MinnaNoBumpu had a definite effect, but Sony probably should have paid a couple thousand employees to go out and buy consoles to push it over 30K. As it is, this is a pretty damned worrying sign, I think.

donny2112

PS3 has now passed 1 million by Media-Create numbers. :)

Two million same time next year?

Edit:
Interesting that Gotcha Force is back. I thought I had read they were doing a new printing of it.

Frillen

Cheesemeister said:
Gotcha Force for GameCube. I've finished the translations above.

And re-worked the parser, as you can see.

I think you missed a game.

Edit: You forgot the game at 31st place.

iceatcs

Cheesemeister said:
Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
3. PSP   -    35,068 |    32,894 | 1,221,633 |  5,753,762
4. PS3   -    28,829 |    12,187 |   560,131 |  1,017,689

[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://content.ytmnd.com/content/0/7/3/0733b0406b24e7d4d596a3d39d266bb0.gif[/IMG]

Keep increasing! [spoiler]Maybe not for PS3 :([/spoiler]

apujanata

Frillen said:
DSL 150,494
Wii 77,169
PSP 35,068
PS3 28,829
PS2 11,757
Xbox360 3,872
GBM 263
GBASP 228
GC 102
DS 90
GBA 41

Holy cowboy, a GC game in the top 50!

Lance, I noticed that NDS+DSL managed to stay over 140K for the last few weeks. Do you think DSl's Q3 2007 will managed to beat Q3 2006 ?
I remember that you think DSL will have difficulty staying over 140K for Q3 2007.

Dragona Akehi said:
Gotchaforce. Some shit licensed game, if I recall.

Actually it wasn't that bad. Kind of a watered down power stone with robots. How could it possibly show on the charts after this long? Has some animated series debuted?

donny2112

Dragona Akehi said:
Gotchaforce. Some shit licensed game, if I recall.

Original kiddie mech game. It's gameplay is supposed to be good, though, and it has a following online. I've even seen fan-made videos to promote the game.

donny2112

miguel_c_hammer said:
How could it possibly show on the charts after this long? Has some animated series debuted?

donny2112 said:
Interesting that Gotcha Force is back. I thought I had read they were doing a new printing of it.

Gotcha Force was one of the rarer GameCube games (e.g. Cubivore), too.

Edit:
To put 360 Japanese sales in perspective, the YTD for the 360 is 130,431. The lowest month in the U.S. is May at 154,932. It'll get there for Japan in about 6 weeks. :p

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
We should except to see those DS numbers for the weeks to come. A lot of 500k+ and Million sellers will be released for it.

iceatcs

Vic said:
We should except to see those DS numbers for the weeks to come. A lot of 500k+ and Million sellers will be released for it.

I hope there will be lot of non-DS lite owners to buy DQIX otherwise it won't pass 500K+

mj1108

Vic said:

In other words, expect things to stay the same as they have been for the DS.

donny2112

JPNConsoles-11.png

JPNHandhelds-14.png

Zelda has done a good job sustaining increased sales for the DS. It could also be that Nintendo chose to use Zelda's launch as the start for increased shipments.

Jiggy

iceatcs said:
I hope there will be lot of non-DS lite owners to buy DQIX otherwise it won't pass 500K+
Pretty sure Vic meant that the games would sell 500k, not that DS would do 500k in one week.

iceatcs

nightside said:

Well there are 18.5 millions DS owners, and that's a lot of them.
This software of course going to reach millions and I'm sure there are many of them who waiting this game are already got DS.

I mean there are 20m+ PS2 in Japan and FF12 didn't move the hardware that much.
I would safe bet about just under 300K DSL will sell when DQIX out.

laserbeam

Banned
citrus lump said:
Wow.

Sony's salvation seems to be with the PSP. What a weird generation.

Not even there really. They can sell PSPs decent enough but theres no software selling. The PSP is a piracy hotbed so its really an oddball situation.

laserbeam said:
Not even there really. They can sell PSPs decent enough but theres no software selling. The PSP is a piracy hotbed so its really an oddball situation.

Yeah, the PSP situation in both Japan and US is very strange. Hardware sells very well, but nobody seems to be buying the software.

rakka

DS and Wii are doing great.

PSP doing usual numbers.

PS3 only 30k?? MNG didn't do much apparently... Famitsu numbers were 10k off :(

iceatcs

rakka said:
PS3 only 30k?? MNG didn't do much apparently... Famitsu numbers were 10k off :(

Yeah but not too bad than I tho. They need to drop the price little more. I mean it is f**king $502, few dollars cost more than US.

iammeiam said:
Unless there's a bundle. DQ IX + LE "Slime Blue" DS Lite could make the DSL sales explode. Some more.

Yeah or price drop will do!

justchris

LanceStern said:
IAWW CAN"T BE Compared to Tales of the Tempest because it's a brand new IP. Tales of is a recognized, high selling franchise in Japan.

Okay, fine.

LanceStern said:
It's not very accurate to compare SE's previous new IP successes because it's on the Playstation. It's a different market, a different userbase, a different time period, PSX is A HOME CONSOLE, and the new IPs were still directed with the same type of gamer in mind: RPG gamers with the same artstyle.

Yes, you are correct. Ergheiz and The Boucer were most certainly targeted to the same RPG gamer Square had always targetted, and certainly virtually identical artstyles to every FF/DQ game ever, which, incidentally, are all identical in art style. And I agree that people who buy Final Fantasy games on home consoles would never buy a Final Fantasy game on a handheld, which is why S-E refuses to release any on the DS or PSP, much less their precious cash cow Dragon Quest. Moreover, the DS userbase is obviously very different from the PS2 userbase, a game like Taiko no Tatsujin would never have sold on the hardcore oriented PS2. NEVER.

LanceStern said:
IAWW is COMPLETELY different in almost all areas concerning it's release, and the only impartial standard to compare it to is other 3rd party new IPs for HANDHELDs, preferably the DS because it has a completely different userbase as well.

I'm sure there's a valid argument in there somewhere.

LanceStern said:
If you do that, which is the logical thing in my opinion, you've got a success. Almost half it's initial shipment sold.. 80k first week for a new, handheld 3rd party IP in Japan at the same week of big console releases. It's almost insane to not call it a success.

LanceStern said:
It's pointless. There is nothing you can say that will convince me that 80k in ONE WEEK for this new IP at the time and market of release isn't a success. So take your numbers and lists and argue elsewhere. To me, and a lot of others, the game did great it's first week, not bomb as you so put it, and you're not goign to convince me (and hopefully not other optimists)

You keep making this argument, as if the success or failure of a game is predicated on one single number. This is almost exactly the same argument as your "300k is a success, anything less is failure" argument that I thought you'd been cured of.

You keep comparing IAWW to some English training game that only sold a few thousand it's first week, and went on to do really well with over 100k, right? Okay, let's do something completely and utterly novel and add some other numbers into that equation. First off, those few thousand it sold the first week, how much of the initial shipment was that? Did it occur to you the game may have only shipped 5000 units, so if it sold 4000, that's 80% of it's shipment. A successful game generally sells 60-75% of it's shipment in the first week, and retailers will see continued strong sales, meaning they won't "collapse the price", and will reorder the game after it sells out.

IAWW only sold 40% of it's initial shipment. That wouldn't necessarily be considered a failure, if retailers saw they were still doing a brisk business. But apparently retailers have saw a few people pick it up first day, then nothing after that, because they've already started slashing prices to try to get it off shelves so an actual profitable game can take it's place.

But wait, I've got yet more numbers for you! How much do you think it cost to make IAWW in comparison to Rocket Institute's English game? Presumably, RI's game would have made a profit if the entire initial shipment sold at their MSRP. I'm guessing S-E padded their shipments, but figure they'd need to sell about 50% of their initial shipment to break even at MSRP, and they haven't even done that yet. A game that does not break even is not a success, no matter how you feel about the actual number it sold.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
This shit isn't funny anymore. I want a PS3 and it doing so badly in Japan (and NA) is really starting to bother me.

iammeiam said:
Unless there's a bundle. DQ IX + LE "Slime Blue" DS Lite could make the DSL sales explode. Some more.
Nintendo had better be stockpiling Ds for this day. They could sell 3 million if they have the hardware.

Top Bottom