• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: August 7-13

cvxfreak

Geez you guys.

Some people learn to stop and let things go for the sake of bettering the environment.

Time to put someone on ignore and I suggest you all do the same.

ethelred

ioi said:
It's not though. Donny said that you cannot say that the numbers on vgcharts are as accurate as those from Famitsu etc, they are either MORE OR LESS accurate but not of the SAME accuracy.

You have taken it out of context to say that they "are not as accurate", i.e. less accurate. In other words another dig at the site, and not a constructive post that looks at the situation from a fair and neutral point of view like Donny's did.

See the difference?

My posted agreement with Donny was a full agreement with what he said in the context in which it was said. If you interpreted what I said as a dig against your site, then you misread; that wasn't the spirit in which my remark was offered, and I wasn't aiming to take a crack at your site or the work you do on it. Don't take such personal offense at everything posted about your website, even despite the badgering from some quarters.

ioi

Banned
CoolTrick said:
No. It never was.

If you don't like what I have to say use ignore.

Did someone say something?

Anyway to Dalthien- I fully agree with what you say about Sony shipped numbers being massively inflated, so I rarely use those at face value- although the problem is much less with software than hardware because eventually Sony will sell 20m PSPs so it's not such a big deal to have such a large inventory build up, but the same is not true for software- especially in Japan where games typically sell about 80-90% in their first month so I think they have to be far more careful with how much software is produced and shipped.

To donny- not to split hairs but in the cases where we have shipment data, it is that data which determines the absolute sales of the game, not the data from the tracking services- that just gives the relative week to week sales patterns. Since it is the actual amount sold that is of most interest and this comes pretty much directly from the shipment numbers which are themselves 100% reliable (although assuming some value for stock is obviously an estimate, but one I think we can make pretty well- especially with that famistu document somebody posted in the other thread) then really I am just making one estimation, one step away from a piece of actual factual data. All I am really estimating is how much stock there is of a particular game at a certain point in time, which I think is actually an easier way to arrive at sell-through than by finding the sell-through over half the country and adjusting up to represent the whole country- especially when those figures give us some good ball-park estimations for the difference between shipped and sold through.

The usual:

GBASP after 23 weeks: 1.32M
DSL after 23 weeks: 3.57M
Time for GBASP to reach 3.57M: 66 weeks

"GBA after SP" after 23 weeks: 345K
"DS after DSL" after 23 weeks: 477K
Time for "GBA after SP" to reach 477K: 36 weeks

DS after 23 weeks: 2.30M
PSP after 23 weeks: 1.33M
GBM after 23 weeks: 450K

Graphically

tHoMNZ said:
why the hell do you guys even care about sales?
is it to fuel your fanboysm?
Oh man, these DS numbers put me in a constant state of fanboysm. UNG!

Mithos Yggdrasil said:
What is the average week for the Nintendo Ds Lite since it came out ?
3566546 / 23 = 155067.2

MrSardonic said:
has anyone got yearly and overall totals for software sales on each platform? I'd like to see what the attach ratios are and understand just how great the difference between PSP and DS software sales are
I don't have that, but I do have this number that adds more context to them. The average DS has been owned for 37.8 weeks, while the average PSP has been owned for 48.0 weeks.

AdmiralViscen said:
That's it for Gamecube. Has it fallen to 3 digits before? I thought it hovered around the 3,000 mark.
This is the 6th time this year it's been under 1000. The week of May 29 it was 698. The last time it was over 3000 was the week of January 23: 3,036.

TheKingsCrown said:
Alright where the hell are the pac man charts?
Here you go. :)
pacchartweekly.php

http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/pacchartweekly.php?date1=2006-08-07
http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/barchartweekly.php?date1=2006-08-07
http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/piechartweekly.php?date1=2006-08-07

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Rock_Man said:
LTD:
PS2 19,613,402
GBA 8,822,629
DS 6,576,038
GBASP 5,875,085
GC 4,154,947
PSP 3,840,320
DSL 3,730,118
GBM 529,164
Xbox 475,503
Xbox360 136,553

GBA 15,226,277
DS 10,306,159
Your GBA total is off - 15,226,878 (GBA+GBASP+GBM). So is your DS total - 10,306,156 (DS+DSL). :)

LanceStern said:
Um.... any reason for our minor discrepancies in LTDs and YTDs Rock_Man?
Those LTD's are based off of what MC sent out as of April 2nd + the weekly data since then. The data they sent out was slightly off some of our LTD's so maybe they adjusted them internally. I keep track of them separately so I know both.

medrew

ioi said:
a) True, but who cares how much Daito Pachislot Simulator sold? The games I take time to adjust are the games we get LTD shipped numbers for are the games selling well. You forget though that I get and have a lot more data than you do.
b) No, but it is usually within 50k
c) How is that a reason why there is a problem with my numbers? Running out of points were we?
d) See c)
e) You're dumb, what am I doing now if not making the methods transparent
f) Being worked on, but it will only resemble what I say in these threads and that doesn't shut you up
g) I post when I have new data, usually data that is *breaking* and others don't have. If informing people of what they want to hear is pimping then we should shut down GAF, every news site on the internet and everything else.

Did I say those were my points? No, I was condensing past posters' opinions on your data. Although I did have a chuckle over your reply. Especially C as you dismiss not having complete data and making guesses as if it is no problem.

And there is a lack of transparency in your data. While you may explain yourself here you do not explain your methods on your site, and thus to the greater viewing audience. (Now please apolgise to me. If not I don't see why the mods shouldn't ban you for calling me dumb on a totally legitimate point.)
G goes against the TOS of gaf, so we wouldn't have to shut this place down, anyway.

I appreciate the work you've done, but it doesn't mean I have to give you a free pass on certain issues. I'm not Cooltrick, though. :)

I made this while I was banned (one of many)
...FOR OVER A MONTH!
Using Excel 2003 (I usually avoid posting Excel 'cos of problems).

ndswwmosalestz3.png

Sorry it's blurry (...it's bin so long since I've bin able to post that I've forgotten the techniques I used when posting graphs).

*I estimated for PAL territories so it may be off. B/w 17-65% of NA sales (17% at launch slowly moving up percentage-wise to 65%)

*NA sales are 17% higher than NPD (as they were for GBA/GBC).

My regional estimates as of the end of July:
Japan - 9.948m
Americas - 6.504m
PAL territories - 3.96m (?)
WW Total: 20.41m

I plan to update this graph frequently (& fix the blurriness) in the future.

apujanata

Deku said:
I think GAF server was overhauled sometime in 2002-2004? I used to have an old account here but after taking a one year haitus from message board posting I came back to a new GAF server and my login was no logner working.

Even if it is true, shouldn't his account have join dates something like 2004, instead of middle to late 2005 ?

As you know, I've also been staying away from message board posting for quite some time, but my join date is still in the year 2004 (with very low average post count).

cvxfreak

Deku said:
I think GAF server was overhauled sometime in 2002-2004? I used to have an old account here but after taking a one year haitus from message board posting I came back to a new GAF server and my login was no logner working.

June 5, 2004 highlights:

- My 17th birthday. :D
- GAF servers get redone.
- Reagan dies.

CoolTrick

Banned
:lol :lol :lol I first came to GAF to look at Metroid Prime footage from E3 2002. I've never been an active poster but christ when this apunjunta person can't even remember the overhaul they've got quite a lot of ignorance accusing other people of being new. :lol

It doesn't really matter if you believe me or not. I am rarely compelled to post since almost every single opinion tends to be exhausted here.

Except for this one. This ioi one. Completely unrightfully so.

Nutter

CoolTrick said:
:lol :lol :lol I first came to GAF to look at Metroid Prime footage from E3 2002. I've never been an active poster but christ when this apunjunta person can't even remember the overhaul they've got quite a lot of ignorance accusing other people of being new. :lol

It doesn't really matter if you believe me or not. I am rarely compelled to post since almost every single opinion tends to be exhausted here.

You could have started posting when the dreamcast came out for all intent and purposes.. But you need to SHUT UP.
We all know you dont like ioi's numbers or his website or ioi in general.. so why not put him on ignore and move on?

CoolTrick said:

His join date kind of helps his case. No?

tnglocutus03.jpg

Join date is irrelevant. Seniority is irrelevant. Attempting to convince others of your correctness is futile. Your argument, as it has been, is over.

Square2005 said:
I made this while I was banned (one of many)
...FOR OVER A MONTH!
Using Excel 2003 (I usually avoid posting Excel 'cos of problems).

ndswwmosalestz3.png

Sorry it's blurry (...it's bin so long since I've bin able to post that I've forgotten the techniques I used when posting graphs).

*I estimated for PAL territories so it may be off. B/w 17-65% of NA sales (17% at launch slowly moving up percentage-wise to 65%)

*NA sales are 17% higher than NPD (as they were for GBA/GBC).

Japan - 9.948m
Americas - 6.504m

Nice Graph. Well done !

Kroole

Square2005 said:
Japan - 9.948m
Americas - 6.504m

DS had sold more than 5 million units (in Europe) according to a Nintendo press release in the beginning of July.

Burnst said:
If Nintendo is still doing 140k a week they are well over 6m by now..

I think they're doing over 1.5m a month worldwide.

They prolly sold nearly 2m in July:

Japan: 750k July 3 - July 30 + about 70k for the 3 missing days = ~820k
Europe: ~560k (140k per week) + ~60k for the 3 missing days = ~620k
USA: ~377k + ~40k for the 3 missing days = ~417k
Canada: ~7% of the US sales = ~29k
Australia: up until June 06 (we got numbers during that months from GFK Australia) it was ~227k, so that's about 4% of the US totals = ~16k (although if the numbers we got from Australia from a poster just one or two weeks ago were correct, the real number has to be much higher than that)

So that's about 1.9m counting Japan, Europe, the USA, Canada and Australia. There are still a few small markets (like NZ) and it's of course possible that the figures for Australia and Canada are way off, but they don't change the picture that much anyway. Somewhere in between 1.85m and 2m for July sounds like a pretty good guess.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Frankfurter said:

Australia: up until June 06 (we got numbers during that months from GFK Australia) it was ~227k, so that's about 4% of the US totals = ~16k (although if the numbers we got from Australia from a poster just one or two weeks ago were correct, the real number has to be much higher than that)

So that's about 1.9m counting Japan, Europe, the USA, Canada and Australia. There are still a few small markets (like NZ) and it's of course possible that the figures for Australia and Canada are way off, but they don't change the picture that much anyway. Somewhere in between 1.85m and 2m for July sounds like a pretty good guess.
2.2m montly production capacity is way low for DS atm especially with such a demand in Japan right now. Also they must stock some of them for holiday season.
Nintendo do it, ramp up DS Lite production to at least 3m units monthly.

cvxfreak

It's clear just by looking at this week's lineup that Nintendo's increased production to 200K a week, but Final Fantasy III is going to cause shipments to rise by at least 100K. Can't wait to see how the two perform.

Sinobi also ays that Tetris DS has reached 800K, and with weekly sales between 15K - 20K, a million within a year should be achieved.

Kroole

cvxfreak said:
It's clear just by looking at this week's lineup that Nintendo's increased production to 200K a week, but Final Fantasy III is going to cause shipments to rise by at least 100K. Can't wait to see how the two perform.

Well yeah. It's fair to guess that Nintendo is withholding some DSL:s, and not just the LE ones, for 24th of Aug just like they did when NSMB (atleast I think it was that game) launched.

Furoba

Kroole said:
Well yeah. It's fair to guess that Nintendo is withholding some DSL:s, and not just the LE ones, for 24th of Aug just like they did when NSMB (atleast I think it was that game) launched.

FFIII LE DS Lite
+
FFIII
Rune Factory

Followed by:
Jet Black DS Lite
Winning Eleven

Late August/September sales madness.

JavyOO7

DS: Japan > Europe > USA

I would'nt doubt that's how total sales will rank when its all said and done. It seems like the folks here in the states are slow to embrace DS.

EDIT: And HELL YEAH to Tetris DS climbing to 800k and beyond. The game ****ing deserves it!

Kroole

Furoba said:
FFIII LE DS Lite
+
FFIII
Rune Factory

Followed by:
Jet Black DS Lite
Winning Eleven

Somehow I doubt Rune Factory is even going to make a slightest dent on the top20...sadly.

Kroole

LanceStern said:
Last one on DS sold 210,000 in Japan (Combining Harvest Moon for boys and girls)

Well this isn't really Harvest Moon. I do hope FFIII and the RPG fans that buy the DSL will boost Rune Factory's sales, but I'm not counting on it, that's all.

Frankfurter said:

Why do you say Canada is 7% of NA sales?
Canada was 17% of GBA/GBC NA sales...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Furoba said:
FFIII LE DS Lite
+
FFIII
Rune Factory

Followed by:
Jet Black DS Lite
Winning Eleven

WEDS was delayed, but there will still be Black DS.

Top Bottom