• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: August 7-13

Oh if you add both Diamond and Pearl they definitely should hit 3 million, I mean Pokemon games tend to sell loads of copies in their first week.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Wyndstryker said:
Damn. At this rate, Nintendo is gonna have to up DS production if they want to completely destroy the holiday market.

Assuming the rate that the system is selling around the world (near to 2 millions, almost the same as tha actual DS lite productions) they should quicly make more factory to atleast produce 3 millions per month.

We're entering september in a while, and there's FFIII and Pokemon coming near wich easyly will sell +2 systems per month worldwide... at they need stock for the Xmas, wich will be at a salling ratio close to 5 millions worlwide (riding the momentun).

Wow, thinking again, they need more than 3 millions units per month :O

apujanata

Rock_Man said:
I'm working on a graph covering that as well. The LTD software at the end of June was around 28.8 million for DS and around 8.0 for PSP.
~2.5 million DS sw is sold every month now. And that is Japan only!

If we assume that for every DS S/W, Nintendo get around USD 2 - 5, that means every month Nintendo get USD 5 - 12.5 Million. Nice amount of money (for royalty).

Do you have LTD software for the other platform (in Japan) ? PS2, GBA and GC (since XBOX is practically non-existent in Japan).

apujanata

tanasten said:
Assuming the rate that the system is selling around the world (near to 2 millions, almost the same as tha actual DS lite productions) they should quicly make more factory to atleast produce 3 millions per month.

We're entering september in a while, and there's FFIII and Pokemon coming near wich easyly will sell +2 systems per month worldwide... at they need stock for the Xmas, wich will be at a salling ratio close to 5 millions worlwide (riding the momentun).

I think it is better for them to increase production to 2.5 Million first, not immediately to 3 Million / month. As in any manufacturing company, you have to be careful to not produce too much, since it can backfire should the demand decrease significantly (remember PSP, worldwide)

apujanata

AdmiralViscen said:
That's it for Gamecube. Has it fallen to 3 digits before? I thought it hovered around the 3,000 mark.

GC sales has been hovering around 1,000 mark for the last few month. Some weeks, the sales is < 1K. The last time the sales is around the 3K mark is on the first week of Feb 06.

tanasten said:

Agree. This is an insane situation. Absolutely crazy how Nintendo DS is selling in the world, and it is even more crazy how it is selling in Japan.

Deku

Banned
Archie said:
Nobody really expected Sony to destroy Nintendo in the handheld market. It is a well known fact that brand loyalty is very important in this industry and the leaders never change.

You may have forgotten what it was like here on GAF in 2004. Sony did a number of moves pre launch which seems to have given them a lock. I recall increasing the RAM in the PSP after developers complained about the original configuration was met with widespread adulation and it just widened the gap between the two technically.

Remember all the moaning over Nintendo dropping the GameBoy brand in favour of a new name called the NDS? Yeah, GAf got that one right too. (lol).

Granted the Nintendo name does carry some weight in the market, its not brand loyalty to Nintendo that's driving Nintendo sales. Nostalgia, marketing (take a look at any of the slick NDS ads, they totaly own Sony's efforts) pricing, and the right features/perception is what's driving NDS sales.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Rock_Man said:
I'm working on a graph covering that as well. The LTD software at the end of June was around 28.8 million for DS and around 8.0 for PSP.
~2.5 million DS sw is sold every month now. And that is Japan only!

Are you sure about LTD software numbers?

Deku said:
You may have forgotten what it was like here on GAF in 2004. Sony did a number of moves pre launch which seems to have given them a lock. I recall increasing the RAM in the PSP after developers complained about the original confuration was met with widespread adulation and it just widened the gap between the two technically.

Remember all the moaning over Nintendo dropping the GameBoy brand in favour of a new name called the NDS? Yeah, GAf got that one right too. (lol).

Granted the Nintendo name does carry some weight in the market, its not brand loyalty to Nintendo that's driving Nintendo sales. Nostalgia, marketing (take a look at any of the slick NDS ads, they totaly own Sony's efforts) pricing, and the right features/perception is what's driving NDS sales.
He wasn't here back then.
He is a well known Nintendo troll too

Deku said:
You may have forgotten what it was like here on GAF in 2004. Sony did a number of moves pre launch which seems to have given them a lock. I recall increasing the RAM in the PSP after developers complained about the original configuration was met with widespread adulation and it just widened the gap between the two technically.

Um, deku? That's Archie you quoted.

My own Japan YTDs and LTDs

YTDs for Handhelds

PSP: 1,154,694
DSLite: 3,807,032
DSPhat: 933,702

DS Total YTD: 4,740,734

LTDS

Playstation 2 19,296,470
Xbox 474,593
Gamecube 4,115,023
Xbox360 138,889
GameBoy Advance SP 16,699,138
Nintendo DS 10,387,686
Playstation Portable 3,837,977

TEVS to be out by end of the month if anyone wanted to know. Um.... any reason for our minor discrepancies in LTDs and YTDs Rock_Man?

Many people is surprised about DSL sales and demanding what Nintendo will do in next weeks with FF3 and Pokemon coming.

Well, as Jonnyram said and i also had time to see cause i'm in Japan now, all DSL units number are sold in just ONE day, cause you can buy DSL only on saturday, it's sold-out for the rest of the week. In every shop you can see PS2 or PSP boxes (uhm... yes, sometimes also x360 ones) but never DSL, and last saturday when i bought one, they kept all boxes hidden.
I really can't find words to describe this situation...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Moor-Angol said:
Well, as Jonnyram said and i also had time to see cause i'm in Japan now, all DSL units number are sold in just ONE day, cause you can buy DSL only on saturday, it's sold-out for the rest of the week. In every shop you can see PS2 or PSP boxes (uhm... yes, sometimes also x360 ones) but never DSL, and last saturday when i bought one, they kept all boxes hidden.

That's just unbelieveable. The sales this console could do if there were no shortages.

Moor-Angol said:
Many people is surprised about DSL sales and demanding what Nintendo will do in next weeks with FF3 and Pokemon coming.

Can you please tell us where all the people are coming from to buy this thing? :lol Are there secret government reproductions occurring?

Tadaima

Syb said:
How about someone edit and post up that Mario graph? Much appreciated. :D

sure ynot.

mario_160806.png

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Deku said:

Goodness gracious I'm going to petition for [sarcasm] tags sometime in the future.

jarrod

Banned
We could use shipment data for the other Marios...

Super Mario Bros. (FC/FDS) 6.810.000
Super Mario Bros. 2 (FDS) 2.660.000
Super Mario Bros. 3 (FC) 3.840.000
Super Mario Land 2 (GB) 2.700.000
Super Mario Collection (SFC) 2.120.000
Super Mario: Yoshi Island (SFC) 1.770.000

...dunno what Yoshi Island GBA, SMB GBC or SMB2 GBA managed though?

Tadaima

Markster said:
What are the three GBA Marios listed in that chart?

Super Mario Advance? Shouldn't there be 4?

Yoshi's Island made between 750 - 800k, which is why it doesn't scrape in. The three GBA Marios are SMA1, SMA2, and Famicom Mini 01: SMB

Tadaima

Does anyone know the worldwide LTD for PSP, DS (inc. DSL), and GBA (all versions)?

If anyone has them, that'd be greatly appreciated =D

ioi

Banned
jarrod said:
We could use shipment data for the other Marios...

Super Mario Bros. (FC/FDS) 6.810.000
Super Mario Bros. 2 (FDS) 2.660.000
Super Mario Bros. 3 (FC) 3.840.000
Super Mario Land 2 (GB) 2.700.000
Super Mario Collection (SFC) 2.120.000
Super Mario: Yoshi Island (SFC) 1.770.000

...dunno what Yoshi Island GBA, SMB GBC or SMB2 GBA managed though?

It's all on VGCharts

http://vgcharts.org/worldtotals.php?name=mario&console=&publisher=&sort=Japan

Shipment numbers from Nintendo (obviously NSMB is out of date now), read down the Japanese column

And soon, I'm going to have weekly data for the older games too which will be nice :D

cvxfreak

ioi said:
It's all on VGCharts

Suggestion: is it possible to adopt something other than the drag down menu, like an alphabetized listing? I can't count the amount of times I missed my intended game. :lol

ioi

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Suggestion: is it possible to adopt something other than the drag down menu, like an alphabetized listing? I can't count the amount of times I missed my intended game. :lol

What you mean list games by letter? Just use the search box, that's much easier surely if you know what game you are after?

Eddz said:
The hardware sales seem inaccurate - what's up with them? :eek:

Shipment stuff hasn't been updated yet.

The latest estimates for sell through would be:

GBA
Japan: 16.7m
Americas: 38.5m
Other: 20.8m
Total: 76.0m

DS
Japan: 10.5m
Americas: 6.5m
Other: 6.5m
Total: 23.5m

PSP
Japan: 4.1m
Americas: 5.7m
Other: 5.0m
Total: 14.8m

cvxfreak

ioi said:
What you mean list games by letter? Just use the search box, that's much easier surely if you know what game you are after?

Maybe drag down letters by letter or category (A - D, E - H...). Just a suggestion. ^_^

cvxfreak

jamesinclair said:
Ah the memories

"Wow, DS might do 50,000 next week! Amazing!"

:lol

A year and a half ago, it was Nintendogs/Jump Superstars/PokemonDP that were expected to carry the DS, but even then it looked as if it'd fall behind the GBA overall.

Are you a subscriber to TEVS eddz? I'm pretty sure you are, but anyways it'll be out by end of the month. Anyways:

Game Boy Advance SP 75,654,061
Nintendo DS 21,978,077
Playstation Portable 12,712,508

That's the last update I have split up as thus:

PSP
-----

US: 4,874,531
Japan: 3,837,977
Europe: 4,000,000 (This is general consensus around GAF, but no true confirmed)

DS
----

US: 5,563,022
Japan: 10,387,686
Europe: 5,000,000

CoolTrick, you didn't even have to say that, you're just being contentious now.

Shiggy said:
Europe: 5,000,000
Pre-DS Lite numbers. Now add those from the DS Lite (I think 140.000 for each week)

They had a press release about 2 wweeks ago saying it hit 5 million because of DSLite selling well, AND it had been selling 140,000 per week. So add about 3 more weeks of 140,000 and there you go.

Top Bottom