• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales Jan 8 - 14

Avalon said:
What if they don't want to?

Then they'll lose to the pubs who do. They'll take a hit to profits. They'll anger investors. They'll leave money on the table. They'll lose ground to competitors who ARE on the wave. They'll be in a worse position heading into the next dev cycle.

It's not doom, but it's an opportunity lost. Not supporting the dominant console is hardly a recipe for rampant growth as a content provider.

fresquito

moku said:
Devs gotta get the lead out, and ride the wave, NOW.
For some reason, most devs think only Nintendo games sell well in Nintendo systems. Only S-E seems to be aware that if you provide good content, your games will sell like in any other console (see the S-E games on the DS). Most third parties haven't already realised of this fact, and they are very late to the DS party (no big names announced for the DS from the important third parties). And for some reason, I see third parties going the same route with the Wii.

However, I think they are beginning to realise this truth, and from their experience with how things worked on the DS, they may be taking the Wii more seriously. I hope this is the case.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
moku said:
Thats what I'm saying in NUTSHELL.

It's not hard to see that the Wii is going to be a success in Japan, and in a big way. This "its early, and its just the start lets wait and see" bullshit has to end.

Very simple to see, and understand for those who keep repeating the same crap

The Nintendo Wii has started better, in its first 7weeks then the Gamecube, and N64, and the ****ing SNES.

Early start my ASS. You dont start like that, only for the bottom to suddenly fall-out for no reason.

The damn thing is going to explode when Animal crossing, braint training, smash, e.t.c. come out.

Whats going to happen when Mario Galxy comes out? Mario seems to be experiencing a revival right now with NSMB topping 4million. That may be an atom bomb in Japan.

Devs gotta get the lead out, and ride the wave, NOW.

crystal balls seem to be free now.

Honestly Nintendo could take Japan by themselves really if they had to (with minimal 3rd party support). The DS took off because of Nintendo's titles. Though I think Square-Enix is probably licking their chops at these hardware numbers, and that really might be all Nintendo would need.

Timbuktu

I suspect that third-parties are still not confident competing with Nintendo on their own system, unless it is with franchises like DQ. For most, it's a rock and a hard place if Nintendo does succeed in changing the market. They will have to innovate to compete for once, or miss out on the new wave of Brain-age and nintendogs gamers. I dunno if they should jump in early like Ubisoft before they figure out what kind of market the Wii audience really is.

KINGMOKU

davepoobond said:
crystal balls seem to be free now.
You may have missed it. Witty replys are easy.

No crystal balls required after 7weeks, and reports of sell-outs, and insane demand worldwide.

Avalon

I'm looking at these sales charts and every third party except Square-Enix is not doing as well as it should on both the Wii and DS. So what would be the point of compromising what they want to do just to sell roughly the same amount (if not less)?

jimbo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
time to make an exit jimbo, thread totally backfired.

Yes you are right. I was wrong about the NES, and the guys are right. I was NOT around for that, not that I am not old enough, but simply because where I was born we didn't have videogames on consoles when I was a kid. Arcades were about the only place you could play them

Regardless, the one statement I made being wrong and everyone jumping on it, doesn't make everything else I stated wrong.

Even when compaed to the NES, Nintendo's hand-held domination is simply on a much grander scale.

That wasn't the point anyway. My original point in this thread was and remains to be, a lot of guys are jumping the gun on the Wii by pointing examples to what previous systems did or worse the DS. Things change. Sharp turns were made.

The only things that I said mattered were the right games at the right time and price.

Oh and btw, I'm not sure how me saying some of the things I said are so wrong but stating that 15 years worth of dominance in a market has no bearing on a successor is right. That falls in the same category as price doesn't matter.

They all do. Just not as much as the statement I believe to be the reason why a console can be extremely successfull over the others.

fresquito

Timbuktu said:
I suspect that third-parties are still not confident competing with Nintendo on their own system, unless it is with franchises like DQ. For most, it's a rock and a hard place if Nintendo does succeed in changing the market. They will have to innovate to compete for once, or miss out on the new wave of Brain-age and nintendogs gamers.
This is something hard to understand. Those companies cimented their reputation on Nintendo Systems.

jimbo said:
Yes you are right. I was wrong about the NES, and the guys are right. I was NOT around for that, not that I am not old enough, but simply because where I was born we didn't have videogames on consoles when I was a kid. Arcades were about the only place you could play them

Regardless, the one statement I made being wrong and everyone jumping on it, doesn't make everything else I stated wrong.

Even when compaed to the NES, Nintendo's hand-held domination is simply on a much grander scale.

That wasn't the point anyway. My original point in this thread was and remains to be, a lot of guys are jumping the gun on the Wii by pointing examples to what previous systems did or worse the DS. Things change. Sharp turns were made.

The only things that I said mattered were the right games at the right time and price.

Oh and btw, I'm not sure how me saying some of the things I said are so wrong but stating that 15 years worth of dominance in a market has no bearing on a successor is right. That falls in the same category as price doesn't matter.

They all do. Just not as much as the statement I believe to be the reason why a console can be extremely successfull over the others.

You didn't say that. You all but attributed the DS' success to the Gameboy brand.

People don't do well with sweeping generalizations, and you made a lot of them at once.

I think the DS is a little bit harder for some 3rd parties because they stopped making PSX/N64 engines years ago.

Some of their franchises .... like Winning Eleven, just don't translate as well to the DS.

With the Wii though, I think you have considerably more advanced 3D to work with, and devs are just coming off the PS2-generation, so it won't limit them as much.

Timbuktu

fresquito said:
This is something hard to understand. Those companies cimented their reputation on Nintendo Systems.

But back then it was still one market. Now it's unclear whether how much PS2 and the DS markets overlap.

Okay, this is my area of expertise (been doing alotta research on past American sales as of late), let me clear some things up:
Nightstick11 said:
You see, a long time ago, around 1983-1991 or so, we didn't say "hey let's play some games" or "wanna play videogames" to our pals. We said "Want to play Nintendo?" Nintendo was used in the same way "games" is used today.
We are talking about America right? The NES wasn't available Nationwide until about March 1986 and didn't reach Atari level popularilty until x'mas 1988 (when it began selling at an equal or better rate than Atari 2600's best year of '83).
Yes, videogames were called Nintendo uptil the early/mid-90s.

There was never a time when a console dominated quite like the NES did. Many of us did not even know what a Master system was until we got into junior high or so. Did the PS1 dominate? Bullshit. It had 2/3 of the market. A firm majority, but at least you knew what an N64 was. Did the PS2 dominate? Not quite like the NES. GCN and Xbox shared their portions of the spotlight. Imagine a console so dominant, so powerful, that you didn't even know it had competition.
Right but PSX (at 30.2m) & PS2 (at 36.8m) have now outsold NES (at ~29.5m).
Nintendo's control of the U.S. home 8-bit market by year:
1987 - 70%
1988 - 85% (2nd Atari 7800, 3rd Sega Master Sys)
1989 - 90%
Sony never could dominated liek taht. They were/are usually around the 60% range.

And the "Genesis being a worthy adversary" is one of the biggest myths in revisionist videogame history. Aside from America, the Genesis was pounded similarly to how the N64 was trounced by the PS1. The Genesis was profitable, it was successful, but it wasn't close to going toe-to-toe with the SNES.
Hey, NoA at the time said Sega was a tough competitor (something liek taht).
Genesis & SNES were neck to neck (in U.S.) until about 1995/96 when SoJ began attempting to drop the Genesis to push Saturn sales.
In Europe Sega won over Nintendo but PC gaming prob. owned them both.
It was only in Japan that SFC dominated Sega (17.17m vs. 3.58m. SFC = 83%).

fresquito

Timbuktu said:
But back then it was still one market. Now it's unclear whether how much PS2 and the DS markets overlap.
My point remains the same: they shouldn't be afraid to compete with Nintendo, but to offer interesting products. Just like S-E is doing.

I actually think Sega (Genesis) was a tougher competetior for Nintendo than Sony was with the Playstation.

Sega really *fought* Nintendo tooth and nail against a SNES that was very well supported. Nintendo thought they were coming into a coronation party, instead they got into a knock-down-drag-down fight. The SNES even had Street Fighter 2 (THE big game) totally exclusive early on, and yet Sega still persisted.

Sony needed the benefit of every 3rd party title (pretty much), and the N64 still sold 33 million. If Nintendo had compromised on the N64 and added a CD drive in addition to the cartridge slot (the Saturn had this config) ... they would have gotten games like Final Fantasy VII, Resident Evil, Castlevania, etc. etc.

Nintendo just pissed that generation away more than anything.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
soundwave05 said:
I think the DS is a little bit harder for some 3rd parties because they stopped making PSX/N64 engines years ago.

Some of their franchises .... like Winning Eleven, just don't translate as well to the DS.

With the Wii though, I think you have considerably more advanced 3D to work with, and devs are just coming off the PS2-generation, so it won't limit them as much.

:lol

You should work developing games. Those type of comments makes me laugh.

davepoobond

moku said:
You may have missed it. Witty replys are easy.

No crystal balls required after 7weeks, and reports of sell-outs, and insane demand worldwide.

demand rulers must be free, too.

it could just be that they aren't shipping as many as they said they were shipping, you do realize, when it comes to the sell-outs?

you can't figure out any trends so early after the holiday season, especially when the holiday season is an irregular time of the year. this week is the first week of normalized sales, we'll see how well any of these consoles are doing when the next NPD comes out.

davepoobond said:

it could just be that they aren't shipping as many as they said they were shipping, you do realize, when it comes to the sell-outs?

you can't figure out any trends so early after the holiday season, especially when the holiday season is an irregular time of the year. this week is the first week of normalized sales, we'll see how well any of these consoles are doing when the next NPD comes out.

Why are we mentioning NPD in a media create thread now?

davepoobond

DeaconKnowledge said:
Why are we mentioning NPD in a media create thread now?

because there are a certain amount of weeks between now and the Jan NPD, and i didn't want to say the end of February.

Square2005 said:
Okay, this is my area of expertise (been doing alotta research on past American sales as of late), let me clear some things up:
We are talking about America right? The NES wasn't available Nationwide until about March 1986 and didn't reach Atari level popularilty until x'mas 1988 (when it began selling at an equal or better rate than Atari 2600's best year of '83).
Yes, videogames were called Nintendo uptil the early/mid-90s.

I was born in 1983 so the initial years are a little bit fuzzy :)

Square2005 said:
Hey, NoA at the time said Sega was a tough competitor (something liek taht).
Genesis & SNES were neck to neck (in U.S.) until about 1995/96 when SoJ began attempting to drop the Genesis to push Saturn sales.
In Europe Sega won over Nintendo but PC gaming prob. owned them both.
It was only in Japan that SFC dominated Sega (17.17m vs. 3.58m. SFC = 83%).

Well, on a global scale, SNES sold 50 mil while Genesis was around 30 mil, which is a rather comfortable thrashing. In America, I don't think there's ever been a time when two consoles were so neck-and-neck like Genesis vs. SNES was in the earlier years, but on a global scale, it was a foregone conclusion.

KINGMOKU

davepoobond said:

It could be a supply issue, but I doubt it wold be worldwide.

My main argument focuses on Japan, and trends be damned. It's tracking above previous Nintendo consoles, and ahead of the Gamecube by over a million units already.

Waiting only leaves you further behind, thats the main thrust of my argument.

Could the Wii go belly up? I guess. Is it likely now that it has 2months under it's belt, and has become the talked about new system? Unlikely.

The point is, alot of third-party devs missed the boat on the DS. Doing for both handheld, and home consoles is assinine.

I just dont understand it, thats all. Maybe I want these companies to take notcie of something, and change faster then may be capable.

If this wait and see argument was bieng made before the Wii launch, I would agree, and did.

Mar

I can't believe people are willing to say that the Wii has won next gen at such an early point. It astounds me to be honest. I'd at least want to give it a year, maybe two.

I love the Wii. The only next gen system I own. But I'm not going to leap behind it in my Nintendo costume waving the flag of victory just yet.

Avalon said:
I'm looking at these sales charts and every third party except Square-Enix is not doing as well as it should on both the Wii and DS. So what would be the point of compromising what they want to do just to sell roughly the same amount (if not less)?

And every third party except SE is giving second-class support. If you don't put your top-selling titles on the system, how can you expect top-tier sales?

KINGMOKU

Martoo said:
I can't believe people are willing to say that the Wii has won next gen at such an early point. It astounds me to be honest. I'd at least want to give it a year, maybe two.

I love the Wii. The only next gen system I own. But I'm not going to leap behind it in my Nintendo costume waving the flag of victory just yet.
Another witty reply. I dont think anyone in the thread has said Nintendo has won ANYTHING.

As a matter of FACT, I said reagrdless of what the PS3 does, the Wii is going to be a success so why not make games for it?

This has nothing to do with the PS3, nothing to do with winning ANYTHING. It's about making games for a system that is clearly going to be a success, and the lack of annoucements.

Unless I missed something and people donned captian n-tard uniforms declaring Nintendo the victor.

I wouldn't say Wii has won anything ... however, the system in JAPAN (this is a MEDIA CREATE thread? Right?) is doing very well. Which is even more impressive given how poorly the GameCube started and fizzled in Japan.

Developers have to make decision NOW on which systems they are going to support in the future. Games aren't developed in like six weeks.

The start the Wii having just reinforces the point that Nintendo's philosophy as a whole is spot on and that this could be another DS-type deal for Nintendo. Of course developers are taking note of these numbers. They have to.

Also the people who still won't give Nintendo any credit for the DS (oh, it's only successful because of the Game Boy brand) ... it's really just sour grapes at this point. Nintendo banked on a strategy that most of GAF was laughing at 12-18 months ago, and now have to find some way to spin it after the fact. Well the PSP never really had a chance (despite outselling the DS early on in every territory at some point for months, not just a week), and err ... Brain Training is the same demographic as Pokemon ... right? :lol

It's the same thing with the Wii ... well it's only selling because of the price tag. Never mind the $200 price point never seemed to do jack for the GameCube.

fresquito

tanasten said:
Rule = Less powerfull system, more simple the game must be, so easier to develop.

I know what I'm talking about.
Until you wanna create a game more complex than pong, then you need some power under the hood.

Eteric Rice

Hey, guys, can someone lend me some rad Nintendo tapes?

:lol

I remember all of that so well. :)

I think whoever said that most third party games are shitty is right. Square can sell games on the DS, but they're usually good games. Many games third parties send off are just utterly retarded.

There's also still a lot of markets open in the DS. The market for fighting games especially. The only one I can think of in the US is Guilty Gear, and I've heard next to nothing about it.

I think one company that the DS and Wii will make an impact on is Atlus. They're really shaping up to be a good company. Not to mention they publish those odd games that get cult followings.

I know I'm not the only one that sometimes sits around, playing a game, all the while thinking about how much better it could have been.

tanasten

For me it's clear that the Wii is the Winner in Japan. The trend is out here, the popular response is on, the price is hot, the system is cool, now, a constant flow of games and "non-games" and PS3 is beaten in Japan.

I don't know what's gona happen on the States, I think that the Xbox360 has won there, but who knows.

Europe is yet "virgin".

fresquito said:
Until you wanna create a game more complex than pong, then you need some power under the hood.

If you design a game for the DS, you keep in mind the power of the system. You're not pretending to do a PS2 game on the DS, just a DS game. Which in fact, ends being more simple to develop than a PS2 game.

You know, if you're doing a tech masterpiece, you will have to struggle to get the max free ram as you can to update refresh and to put more triangles on screen, that's gona be hard, but if you're developing a PS2 game and are trying the same, you're going to suffer too.

You know, it's all about the design. A PS2 game can be as simple as a DS game, and you will get out better graphics than doing the same code on the DS. If you're using this rule, then yes, DS it's the worse system to develop for! But now in market sense, you can't do just a Brain Training's cost game and try to oversell Final Fantasy.

Like in the example done, Wining Eleven... Perfect Striker was far better than this Winning Eleven DS, and it's not by the system because DS is fairly better than the N64, it's just because the art and the design of the game is worse.

I dunno why Konami just didn't port Perfect Striker :(

KINGMOKU

soundwave05 said:
I wouldn't say Wii has won anything ... however, the system in JAPAN (this is a MEDIA CREATE thread? Right?) is doing very well. Which is even more impressive given how poorly the GameCube started and fizzled in Japan.

Developers have to make decision NOW on which systems they are going to support in the future. Games aren't developed in like six weeks.

The start the Wii having just reinforces the point that Nintendo's philosophy as a whole is spot on and that this could be another DS-type deal for Nintendo. Of course developers are taking note of these numbers. They have to.

Also the people who still won't give Nintendo any credit for the DS (oh, it's only successful because of the Game Boy brand) ... it's really just sour grapes at this point. Nintendo banked on a strategy that most of GAF was laughing at 12-18 months ago, and are getting a rude wake up call.

It's the same thing with the Wii ... well it's only selling because of the price tag. Never mind the $200 price point never seemed to do jack for the GameCube.
Has anyone in this thread sai anything about Nintendo winning anything?

I want to make sure.

I hate when people bring up things in a discussion that never happened.

It's so easy to see whats happening here, and to have people arguing it, is unreal.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Martoo said:

Nobody said the Wii has won the next generation. People are saying because it is the market leader in Japan as of right now and that this is probably not going to change within the next year, third parties should develop more games for the system. Seems logical to me.

Avalon

ghostlyjoe said:
And every third party except SE is giving second-class support. If you don't put your top-selling titles on the system, how can you expect top-tier sales?

This is not true. There are a few obvious second rate attempts such as Tales of Tempest, but a game like Trauma Center: Second Opinion or Contact are very high quality games that just get completely overshadowed.

jimbo

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
You didn't say that. You all but attributed the DS' success to the Gameboy brand.
People don't do well with sweeping generalizations, and you made a lot of them at once.
Oh I didn't? Dude how can you say that when we even argued about it? ME and YOU!
This is you in response to me saying:
jimbo said:
Whoever has the best combination of price and software for the longest period of time will win.
DeaconKnowledge said:
This doesn't explain the DS' success. It was lagging behind the PSP for a considerable amount of time. One game broke it wide open and that was Nintendogs. The flow of titles helped maintain the lead, yes, but without that breakthrough game things could have been quite different
To which I responded to reiterate my point:
jimbo said:
How does that not explain it? Nintendogs falls dead CENTER into software most people wanted to buy. And the subsequent release only solidified that.

It's actually a perfect example of my statement. It's software,in this case BIG software, BIG POPULAR software at a time when their competitors had nothing to combat it and it was affordable to get. ........
Look I admitt when I am wrong, it happens to everyone but what I don't do is lie. Or perhaps you don't even bother reading what people actually write in here?

As far as the bolded part. That''s funny, how can I attribute the success of the DS to its brand, and brand alone, when my initial argument started with:

jimbo said:
The reasons why a console came in first NEVER had ANYTHING to do with how many it sold in the first 6 months, it was never solely based on brand, and it never had anything to do with "bringing videogaming back to its roots".
You're right. People don't do well with generalizations.

Avalon said:
This is not true. There are a few obvious second rate attempts such as Tales of Tempest, but a game like Trauma Center: Second Opinion or Contact are very high quality games that just get completely overshadowed.

But didn't Trauma Center do well, relatively speaking? What kind of sales threshold are we talking about?

Martoo said:

I don't think that was the point here. Rather, it was that the Wii has the most momentum, ergo potential, to take the lead.

Mar

moku said:
Another witty reply. I dont think anyone in the thread has said Nintendo has won ANYTHING.

As a matter of FACT, I said reagrdless of what the PS3 does, the Wii is going to be a success so why not make games for it?

This has nothing to do with the PS3, nothing to do with winning ANYTHING. It's about making games for a system that is clearly going to be a success, and the lack of annoucements.

Unless I missed something and people donned captian n-tard uniforms declaring Nintendo the victor.

Perhaps I exaggerated a little for effect. But I wasn't just countering what you were saying. I was making a comment on the general atmosphere in this thread.

Deku said:
If there is going to be a shift in support it will take time.

A lot of PSP support were predicated on two assumptions 1) PSP was going to win outright 2) PS3 was going to win outright.

When the PSP started lagging point #2 remained viable and 3rd parties surely wanted to appear loyal to remain on Sony's good side when the PS3 takes off and to keep their fanbase satisfied (presumably, they will be on the PS3)

Point #2 has to be disproven before you'll see a massive shift. In the most likely scenario where PS3 isn't a PSP but actually begins to take off later in the year, but Wii remains a significant player in the market, 3rd parties will also plan accordingly. But I think there's just a lot of waiting in the sidelines at this point and it is all very political.
There is a lot of truthiness in this post.

I'd like to add that development cycles are a big factor in this. Most games are going to take at least a year to put out the door, especially on a new platform. You can bet your socks that after december of 2005 a lot of developers shifted internal resources to support production on the DS. You can also take for truth that after E3 '06 a lot of publishers did a doubletake. For them Sony's continued dominance in the home console world was a given and nobody would ever be able to overturn them. They have been forced to re-asses the situation, and unlike ubisoft, these dinosaurs are incapable of turning on a dime. Projects for both of Sony's platforms that are at least midway through production will likely be finished out and released. Newer projects will be scaled back or kiboshed. Some projects, that have a western audience will be multiplatformed with the 360.

It's been a year since the DS irreversably took hold of Japan. Six months since it really took the lead in the US and Europe. Expect to see a lot fewer products announced for the PSP in the future.

Expect a lot of unfavorable announcements for the PS3 in 2008.

what even amazes about the wii is that looking at the 2007 wii line up, compared to the ps3 it doesnt look that impressive. i mean the ps3 has ninja gaiden sigma, dmc4,mgs4,unknown realms,vf5, gudam musou. now all these games are potential sellers.
so really i think if by the end of this year after all these sony titles have come out and the wii is still winning, we can declare the wii the winner. but right its premature.
right now the wii is winning cos its far cheaper than the ps3
the ps3 just hasnt got any decent software to play.
but like i said right now sony can make excuses but if the big hitters are released and they're still trailing the wii, thats when they should start getting worried, but not now.

I think things are already happening behind the scenes at the Japanese dev houses.

Just because they're not announcing it for GAF's sake doesn't mean that those companies aren't looking at the changes in the Japanese market and making future preparations for it now.

A fast start for the Wii *is* important because it shakes the stigma that the system is just another GameCube. 100k in the first week after the post-January rush is very impressive. More akin to the PS2 than the GameCube.

sphinx

the piano man
Nightstick11 said:
Jimbo, I have to ask how old are you, because I think you must be part of the PS1 or PS2 generation to boldly say a statement like the bolded.

You see, a long time ago, around 1983-1991 or so, we didn't say "hey let's play some games" or "wanna play videogames" to our pals. We said "Want to play Nintendo?" Nintendo was used in the same way "games" is used today.

There was never a time when a console dominated quite like the NES did. Many of us did not even know what a Master system was until we got into junior high or so. Did the PS1 dominate? Bullshit. It had 2/3 of the market. A firm majority, but at least you knew what an N64 was. Did the PS2 dominate? Not quite like the NES. GCN and Xbox shared their portions of the spotlight. Imagine a console so dominant, so powerful, that you didn't even know it had competition.

And the "Genesis being a worthy adversary" is one of the biggest myths in revisionist videogame history. Aside from America, the Genesis was pounded similarly to how the N64 was trounced by the PS1. The Genesis was profitable, it was successful, but it wasn't close to going toe-to-toe with the SNES.

what he said. NES domination will not be repeated ever, it is just not possible.

Deku

Banned
bmf said:
There is a lot of truthiness in this post.

I'd like to add that development cycles are a big factor in this. Most games are going to take at least a year to put out the door, especially on a new platform. You can bet your socks that after december of 2005 a lot of developers shifted internal resources to support production on the DS. You can also take for truth that after E3 '06 a lot of publishers did a doubletake. For them Sony's continued dominance in the home console world was a given and nobody would ever be able to overturn them. They have been forced to re-asses the situation, and unlike ubisoft, these dinosaurs are incapable of turning on a dime. Projects for both of Sony's platforms that are at least midway through production will likely be finished out and released. Newer projects will be scaled back or kiboshed. Some projects, that have a western audience will be multiplatformed with the 360.

It's been a year since the DS irreversably took hold of Japan. Six months since it really took the lead in the US and Europe. Expect to see a lot fewer products announced for the PSP in the future.

Expect a lot of unfavorable announcements for the PS3 in 2008.

One positive side effect is that if and when Game Boy Advance 2 or DS2 is announced, the third parties won't hesitate to support it.

GAF is famous for the 'Return of the Jedi' or 'Return of the King' slogans with regards to Nintendo. I'm frankly still not convinced and Wii has a lot of prove this year. But in the larger picture, Nintendo, as a company, has proven they aren't irrelevant and more impartantly that they can beat Sony. The fact that can create a wildly successful hardware (DS) and follow it up with a strong launch of a home console along similar strategy has to register at some level on the corporate boardrooms of every developer with a multiplatform strategy.

If you like money, as most third parties do, and view hardware platforms as investments that will generate a rate of return, Nintendo hardware suddenly becomes very attractive. (see EA).

Eteric Rice

cank stoochie said:
what even amazes about the wii is that looking at the 2007 wii line up, compared to the ps3 it doesnt look that impressive. i mean the ps3 has ninja gaiden sigma, dmc4,mgs4,unknown realms,vf5, gudam musou. now all these games are potential sellers.
so really i think if by the end of this year after all these sony titles have come out and the wii is still winning, we can declare the wii the winner. but right its premature.
right now the wii is winning cos its far cheaper than the ps3
the ps3 just hasnt got any decent software to play.
but like i said right now sony can make excuses but if the big hitters are released and they're still trailing the wii, thats when they should start getting worried, but not now.

I don't really think VF5 is going to be a huge seller. I hear the arcade version isn't very popular at the moment.

DMC4 is looking bleak to me, and while MGS4 looks good, I don't know if we should expect it this year.

The Wii has Smash Brothers Brawl, which is very anticipated. I think it missed Halo sales by 1 million, or something. The sequel could definately make some new fans, especially since Snake is there. :)

tanasten

sphinx said:
what he said. NES domination will not be repeated ever, it is just not possible.

Don't you meant PS1 domination, which is the system that most consoles sold?

Eteric Rice said:
I don't really think VF5 is going to be a huge seller. I hear the arcade version isn't very popular at the moment.

DMC4 is looking bleak to me, and while MGS4 looks good, I don't know if we should expect it this year.

The Wii has Smash Brothers Brawl, which is very anticipated. I think it missed Halo sales by 1 million, or something. The sequel could definately make some new fans, especially since Snake is there. :)
its not just virtua fighter 5, its all the games i mentioned put together, that could determine its fate. you cant win a console race with just one good game.
btw what do you mean dmc4 is looking bleak to you?

Top Bottom