• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

Spiegel

poppabk said:
But unless the Japanese market is some kind of loss leader for games, we can probably assume that the level of marketing for MGS4 is sustainable with sales of ~700k unless konami took a bath in Japan on that game. If the top 2 selling 3rd party games on consoles in japan were both financial failures in that market then there are major problems.

I never said it wasn't sustainable. I said that maybe they prefer MH3G or MH4 on Wii to sell 600k (like MH2 on PS2) with normal marketing than 800-900k with monster marketing IF (big if) they make more money that way.

Segata Sanshiro said:

:(

Segata Sanshiro said:
Just about three weeks. The game isn't going to magically pull up from its downward descent or anything. I think 900k is a pretty fair estimate at this point.
Depends whether we go with the Famitsu or Media Create numbers. With the Famitsu numbers so far, even if it crashes as hard as those other 2 or 3 games I keep bringing up it should still get around 950K. However, MC did think the first week was much lower to begin with.

Spiegel said:
I never said it wasn't sustainable. I said that maybe they prefer MH3G or MH4 on Wii to sell 600k (like MH2 on PS2) with normal marketing than 800-900k with monster marketing IF (big if) they make more money that way.

:(
Sorry Spragal.

Spiglet

Sporskal

Spunchlock

Spibble

Can I just call you Dave?

Spiegel said:
01. [PS2] SD Gundam Generation Wars (Bandai Namco)
02. [PSP] Tales of Versus (Bandai Namco)
03. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (tri~) (Capcom)
04. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix)
05. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo)
06. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
07. [PS2] Kamen Rider (Bandai Namco)
08. [360] Magna Carta 2 (Bandai Namco)
09. [PS2] Winning Eleven (Konami)
10. [NDS] Tingle (Nintendo)

the King is back

Magicpaint said:
Definitely, and it's to be expected, since the local multiplayer option, which is a key draw for the MHP games is essentially missing in the Wii version.

Agreed. Though it took time for the PSP base to flourish, it may be similar for the Wii's.

schuelma said:
If Tri peters out to 900K or so, I don't think its fair to call it a bomba or a failure..but I think you could accurately say its possibly a mild disappointment to Capcom given their pre-launch expectations.

Pretty much. It's too early to say but looking at it most just prefer the game on a portable. These sales aren't "bad" by any means, they just weren't "great" which was what Capcom was most likely expecting. Looking at it, the series seems to be doing about average to above average on the Wii thus far.

Dragona Akehi said:
See? What did I tell you? Bad Vibes.

The game didn't "bomba" like you were saying it just didn't meet Capcom's high expectations.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
You're confused a bit there. The DS was consistently sold out from the end of 2005 until over two years later. The reason DS only sold 50K in the weeks before DS Lite is solely because that's how many DSs Nintendo shipped. The DS Lite release starting the trend over 100K per week solely indicates that Nintendo was shipping more units. Demand was already greatly outstripping supply before DS Lite's release.
Was the DS (the DS Phat) supply constrained for about 1 year in a row in Japan? I thought that the DS wasnt really that popular (at least compared to how popular it bacame) to begin with, but maybe it was because of the DS Phat being supply constrained? Maybe i worded myself poorly, but i was thinking about the whole time period in general before the DS Lite was released. There are not really that many (relatively speaking) weeks where the DS sold over 100k, at least not compared to how it was when the DS Lite was released.

http://garaph.info/linecompare.php//weeks/100/sum/0/html/2/sys-0/DS/date-0/2004-11-29/

MotherFan

Flying_Phoenix said:
Pretty much. It's too early to say but looking at it most just prefer the game on a portable. These sales aren't "bad" by any means, they just weren't "great" which was what Capcom was most likely expecting. Looking at it, the series seems to be doing about average to above average on the Wii thus far.

I think this is the best explanation. The portables are what is ruling Japan and will be for the foreseeable future. I don't think anyone really expected it to sell like a portable installment.

test_account

XP-39C²
Xeke said:
The DS phat would have easily sold 100k a week but the supply wasn't there from holiday 2005 onward.
Do you from the holiday 2005 and up to the DS Lite, or if the DS Lite wasnt released at all? But either way, i think that the DS Phat would have sold over 100k a week uptil the DS Lite was launched if the supply was there, and i also think that the DS Phat would have sold 100k a week if the DS Lite wasnt released at the time that it was released, i agree :)

But my main point was to show that i dont think that the color of a gaming system really means that much to people in general as long as a gaming system has interesting games and a good pricetag. The DS Lite was white (i think?) and it still sold a alot of units :) The Wii has also sold a lot of units and this gaming system is also white :)

markatisu

Flying_Phoenix said:

The game didn't "bomba" like you were saying it just didn't meet Capcom's high expectations.

If it did average to above average on the Wii I cringe to think what it would have done on the 360 or PS3 in Japan :lol

Vinci

Danish
Dragona Akehi said:
Not meeting expectations = bomba.

That's my perception as well. People are too conservative about throwing the word 'bomba' out there. Hardly ever see it anymore, you know? We used to be more honest.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
dolemite said:
It sure looks like it. Capcom execs will be looking for a scape goat soon.

Not really since everybody knows the psp version is coming next year - maybe even in this fiscal year....

Vinci

Danish
cw_sasuke said:
Not really since everybody knows the psp version is coming next year - maybe even in this fiscal year....

Does anyone think this might have something to do with its sales numbers dropping? Lots of people in the MH fanbase refusing to buy a Wii for a game they believe will hit the PSP eventually anyway?

Vinci said:
Does anyone think this might have something to do with its sales numbers dropping? Lots of people in the MH fanbase refusing to buy a Wii for a game they believe will hit the PSP eventually anyway?

It's RE4 all over again!

cw_sasuke

Vinci said:

Probably, i would be shocked if they dont release a new mh psp based on tri in march 2010, though they probably expect mh tri to sell better than the psp games in western markets....so that will be the real challenge, since most people here dont even know the game so there is a chance with the right marketing...

donny2112

test_account said:
There are not really that many (relatively speaking) weeks where the DS sold over 100k, at least not compared to how it was when the DS Lite was released.

If you're going to pick an arbitrary number to decide if there was demand or not, sure. However the DS was sold out (except for what Nintendo was able to ship each week) from the end of 2005 for 16 months. The fact its sales happen to be below 100K until the DS Lite's release has no bearing on the fact that that demand was much greater than supply for the system.

JPNHandhelds-35.png

The shortage was on well before DS Lite's release.

test_account said:
But my main point was to show that i dont think that the color of a gaming system

I'm pretty sure the color thing was a joke.

Dragona Akehi said:
Not meeting expectations = bomba.

Since we're basing these expectations on retailer orders, that now makes Fragile, Muramasa, and probably some other games from earlier this year a non-bomba.

Vdragoon

since when did ppl get conservative about using "bomba". i see it all the time - something big comes out and it didn't meet GAF's expectations.

donny2112 said:
Since we're basing these expectations on retailer orders, that now makes Fragile, Muramasa, and probably some other games from earlier this year a non-bomba.

Actually I did argue that Fragile and Muramasa weren't bombs for just that reason.

RpgN

Pureauthor said:
It's RE4 all over again!

Uhm RES4 ps2 was officially announced before the gamecube version got released. MH Tri will surely make it to the psp in some form but that's still speculation.

Capcom Exec 1: Bad news, guys. Monster Hunter Tri is on track to only maybe outsell all of our PS2 games and be our best home seller in a decade. It might end up as only our biggest console release since 2002.
Capcom Exec 2: God damn it.
Capcom Exec 3: Who do we kill?

Vinci

Danish
Vdragoon said:
since when did ppl get conservative about using "bomba". i see it all the time - something big comes out and it didn't meet GAF's expectations.

I was, you know... being sarcastic and stuff.

RpgN

Vdragoon said:

It's no bomba, being the best selling third party game on the wii in Japan. It did well for itself. But based on the shipment number and capcom's own expectation, it's a slight disappointment.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Capcom Exec 1: Bad news, guys. Monster Hunter Tri is only track to only maybe outsell all of our PS2 games and be our best home seller in a decade. It might end up as only our biggest console release since 2002.
Capcom Exec 2: God damn it.
Capcom Exec 3: Who do we kill?
Japanese retailer #1: Bad news, guys. We have 100,000 copies of Monster Hunter Tri sitting around and no one wants to buy them.
Japanese retailer #2: God damn it.
Japanese retailer #3: Who do we kill?
Tingle: Kooloo-Limpah!

cw_sasuke

Segata Sanshiro said:
Japanese retailer #1: Bad news, guys. We have 100,000 copies of Monster Hunter Tri sitting around and no one wants to buy them.
Japanese retailer #2: God damn it.
Japanese retailer #3: Who do we kill?
Tingle: Kooloo-Limpah!

Why would they care if they already sold them to reteailers ?

RpgN said:
Uhm RES4 ps2 was officially announced before the gamecube version got released. MH Tri will surely make it to the psp in some form but that's still speculation.

Except that Inafune already announced months ago that capcom is working on a new mh for the psp.

Yeah, only skimming through the MC threads every once in a while, I'd say that (considering the predictions, shipments, expectations), MH3 is a bomb.

Perhaps it still has long legs, I don't know. But right now hitting 1 million is "not a certainty", which is enough to call it a failure.

Ha, good response Segata. Still, considering 2006's Monster Hunter 2 PS2 sold 70K in 2008, I think the series shows sufficient legs to at least take care of the initial shipment.

cw_sasuke said:
Why would they care if they already sold them to reteailers ?

Except that Inafune already announced months ago that capcom is working on a new mh for the psp.
Why would the retailers care? Because... because they are the retailers?

You're one of those guys that asks a lot of questions during a movie, aren't you? :(

Road

Famitsu July 2009 (06/29 - 07/26):

Top 20:
01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 3,217,502 / NEW
02. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 381,399 / 735,266 (-11%)
03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 234,877 / 405,367
04. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (SEGA) - 135,764 / NEW
05. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (My Summer Vacation 4): Youth Detective Group in Seto - Me and the Secret Map (SCEI) - 102,241 / NEW
06. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 94,504 / NEW
07. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 69,980 / NEW
08. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (A Penguin's Troubles X: 7 Warriors of the Sky) (Konami) - 56,151 / NEW
09. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 54,278 / 848,743
10. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy Rich Big Cleaning! (Nintendo) - 40,084 / NEW
11. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 37,924 / 3,471,059
12. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 33,298 / 495,751
13. [PS3] Katamari Damacy Tribute (Namco Bandai) - 28,979 / NEW
14. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 28,397 / 2,456,022
15. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5) - 25,542 / 165,084
16. [PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono. 2 (Sword & Magic & School 2) (Acquire) - 25,333 / 70,615
17. [PSP] Ys I & II: Chronicles (Falcom) - 24,452 / NEW
18. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X Mirai Chou Bakuhatsu!! (Future Hyper Explosion!!) (Takara Tomy) - 24,008 / NEW
19. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 21,029 / 1,769,769
20. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland (Gust) - 20,130 / 67,586
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmgk/m/

DS Top 10:
01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 3,217,502 / NEW
02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 234,877 / 405,367
03. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai X: Tenkuu no 7 Senshi (A Penguin's Troubles X: 7 Warriors of the Sky) (Konami) - 56,151 / NEW
04. [NDS] Welcome Home! Chibi-Robo! Happy Rich Big Cleaning! (Nintendo) - 40,084 / NEW
05. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 33,298 / 495,751
06. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon Co.) - 28,397 / 2,456,022
07. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5) - 25,542 / 165,084
08. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X Mirai Chou Bakuhatsu!! (Future Hyper Explosion!!) (Takara Tomy) - 24,008 / NEW
09. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 21,029 / 1,769,769
10. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 16,513 / 5,038,273
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmds/m/

PS2 Top 10:
01. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 69,980 / NEW
02. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2009 (Konami) - 5,575 / 154,158
03. [PS2] Rosario to Vampire Capu 2: Koi to Yume no Rhapsodia (Compile Heart) - 4,942 / NEW
04. [PS2] Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (Ultimate Hits) (Square Enix) - 4,795 / 73,345
05. [PS2] Momotarou Dentetsu 16: Trip to Hokkaido! (Playstation 2 the Best) (Hudson) - 4,399 / 40,126
06. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 (Konami) - 4,279 / 235,453
07. [PS2] Metal Slug Anthology (SNK Best Collection) (SNK Playmore) - 4,073 / 8,693
08. [PS2] Super Robot Taisen Z: Special Disc (Namco Bandai) - 3,941 / 80,693
09. [PS2] Devil Kings 2: Heroes (Playstation 2 the Best) (Capcom) - 3,786 / 63,498
10. [PS2] Evangelion: Prologue (Namco Bandai) - 3,126 / 18,131
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/gmps/m/

RpgN

cw_sasuke said:

I think I read about it thinking of it vaguely, but he never said it was MH Tri and so it is not officially announced yet.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Souldriver said:
Yeah, only skimming through the MC threads every once in a while, I'd say that (considering the predictions, shipments, expectations), MH3 is a bomb.

I feel like I'm in crazyville here. Yes, if it continues on this trajectory with less than a million sold and unsold units available I agree that it is probably disappointing to Capcom who had slightly higher expectations.

But come on..a bomb?!? It's already sold 721 thousand copies. That's more than many people thought it would get LTD when it was first announced.

I perfectly understand and agree with the argument that not selling out its initial shipment makes it a bit disappointing..but I feel like some people are kind of missing the bigger picture here and ignoring that the absolute number is still going to be pretty impressive.

cw_sasuke

Segata Sanshiro said:
Why would the retailers care? Because... because they are the retailers?

You're one of those guys that asks a lot of questions during a movie, aren't you? :(

:lol

Sry, i misread your post "Capcom Execs" instead of Retailer....
but still capcom is shipping the amount that retailers are ordering so at least they made their money...

Spiegel

After MH3's performance anyone think that the new MH for psp will be announced at TGS?

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sorry Spragal.

Spiglet

Sporskal

Spunchlock

Spibble

Can I just call you Dave?

I hate you :lol

schuelma

Spiegel said:
After MH3's performance anyone think that the new MH for psp will be announced at TGS?

I think because of this BOMBA it will be announced tomorrow.

cw_sasuke

Spiegel said:

If they announce it at TGS (which would make sense) certainly not because of those 2nd weeks sales.....u ppl are seriously overreacting xD

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The only MH with a significantly better second week was MHP2G, even MHP2 didn't do much better than MHtri. So imo it's way too early to call MHtri a failure, especially as this series tends to have really long legs. Wait a few weeks to see how the game fares in the long run and then comment on its sales. No MH besides MHP2G ever sold a million copies in two weeks.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
I think because of this BOMBA it will be announced tomorrow.

Nah, I'm not saying this because the game is LA BOMBA, but when is the TGS? in one month?

If MH3 doesn't pull great weekly numbers, in one month it will have sold pretty much 90-95% of its final LTD so I don't see what reason will Capcom have to not announce the game. Unless there's a temporal exclusive contract or something like that.

schuelma

Yoshi said:
The only MH with a significantly better second week was MHP2G, even MHP2 didn't do much better than MHtri. So imo it's way too early to call MHtri a failure, especially as this series tends to have really long legs. Wait a few weeks to see how the game fares in the long run and then comment on its sales. No MH besides MHP2G ever sold a million copies in two weeks.

Unless we find from the MC numbers that Famitsu was way off 1st week and corrected itself 2nd week, it seems pretty clear that at least initially there aren't really strong legs.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
If MH3 doesn't pull great weekly numbers, in one month it will have sold pretty much 90-95% of its final LTD so I don't see what reason will Capcom have to not announce the game. Unless there's a temporal exclusive contract or something like that.

It just seems a bit too early to me. I think it will definitely get announced this year, but I think Capcom will try and get as many users as possible on the Wii version to try and rake in those monthly fees.

schuelma said:
I feel like I'm in crazyville here. Yes, if it continues on this trajectory with less than a million sold and unsold units available I agree that it is probably disappointing to Capcom who had slightly higher expectations.

But come on..a bomb?!? It's already sold 721 thousand copies. That's more than many people thought it would get LTD when it was first announced.

I perfectly understand and agree with the argument that not selling out its initial shipment makes it a bit disappointing..but I feel like some people are kind of missing the bigger picture here and ignoring that the absolute number is still going to be pretty impressive.
Really?
I'd like to see that.

donny2112

Spiegel said:

It MH3P is announced at TGS, does anything think it wouldn't have been if WII MH3 had sold a million by now?

Top Bottom