• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Souldriver said:
Really?
I'd like to see that.

There has been a longstanding debate for two years as to how high Tri would go and yes numerous people were skeptical that it would do that much better than the PS2 versions. I honestly don't care enough to go through two years of Media Create threads to find quotes for you, so if you don't believe me, I supposed we are at an impasse.

schuelma said:
There has been a longstanding debate for two years as to how high Tri would go and yes numerous people were skeptical that it would do that much better than the PS2 versions. I honestly don't care enough to go through two years of Media Create threads to find quotes for you, so if you don't believe me, I supposed we are at an impasse.
I'm sure there are people who actually believed it would do less/barely what the PS2 versions did. But come on, you and I know those were in the minority. We all realize the handheld <> console parallel isn't always true, but since the PSP games the IP has exploded in popularity, so for it to do "barely" as well as the PS2 versions, you had to be very pessimistic, and I'm sure most people were not.

markatisu

Spiegel said:
After MH3's performance anyone think that the new MH for psp will be announced at TGS?

No, Capcom will at least want to get some more paid online users for MH3 before telling a large part of the fanbase to keep waiting

Big difference between what Capcom did in previous years is they were not looking at extra money from online fees when dealing with a Nintendo console (Gamecube was not going to pay extra so it was easy to "sabatoge" or cut the legs out from under any releases)
so for it to do "barely" as well as the PS2 versions, you had to be very pessimistic, and I'm sure most people were not.

Yeah it sucks for "barely" surpassing every PS2 version in 10 days...wow

Dragona Akehi said:
Not meeting expectations = bomba.

No it doesn't bomba means if a game is a WAYS away off of what they expected.

This isn't including Capcom's ridiculous high assumptions from the game (2.2 mil? REALLY?)

cvxfreak

9 days and ~72% sold through. I don't think that's very bad at all. The game is still very huge as far as a gaming phenomenon is concerned.

Almost everyone knew that Tri would destroy the PS2 games and would not be a slow burner like Portable 1, but measuring it against the PSP sequels was always the hardest part. So far, it's reasonably following the sales pattern established by Monster Hunter Portable 2nd, which didn't break 1 Million until it's 4th week on Famitsu's charts (well, it was close enough the 3rd week) and had an even bigger fall its second week than Tri did. That game also happened to be #3 its second week.

What differentiates Tri from Portable 2nd is that Tri had a much bigger initial shipment. Portable 2nd, if I remember correctly, actually sold out. It's clear that a 1 Million initial shipment for Tri was larger than its launch would have supported (even if selling all of it at launch was a ridiculous assumption), but it's still too early to call the game a disappointment. I wouldn't even call it "massively overshipped" yet since we all know a vast majority of this shipment will sell. (See my note below)

What we need to keep an eye out for is what legs it will display. Even Portable 2nd looked like it wouldn't have much more substantial sales after six or so weeks, but it displayed good legs up until its expansion pack launched (so it still sold in spite of its announcement, fueled by the PSP slim). It's for this reason that I'm not convinced a PSP announcement would mean the death of this game, at least right away. But Tri can certainly display legs like the PSP games, and can also benefit from boosts that the Wii gets from holidays and so forth.

*And by the way, biccamera.com sold out of the standalone Tri, so that very special price is no longer on offer. So, unless there are further price collapses on certain SKUs, we can give the conspiracy theories a rest for now. For the most part, Tri is still sold at prices in line with most new games.

dyls

Wow.

So, using all of 2 data points covering a whopping 9 days, GAF has decided that this game—part of a series known for having ridiculously long legs, on a system where the biggest games are know for having ridiculously long legs—is already dead and buried.

Is there anything worse than the internet?

schuelma

dyls said:
Wow.

So, using all of 2 data points covering a whopping 9 days, GAF has decided that this game—part of a series known for having ridiculously long legs, on a system where the biggest games are know for having ridiculously long legs—is already dead and buried.

We certainly need to see more data, but at this early point the 2nd week number going by Famitsu sales isn't very good. Now, maybe its the case that they overestimated the 1st week and adjusted downward for this week. If we see Media Create with better numbers then my opinion might change.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
If you're going to pick an arbitrary number to decide if there was demand or not, sure. However the DS was sold out (except for what Nintendo was able to ship each week) from the end of 2005 for 16 months. The fact its sales happen to be below 100K until the DS Lite's release has no bearing on the fact that that demand was much greater than supply for the system.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/donny2112/Sales Numbers/JPNHandhelds-35.png

The shortage was on well before DS Lite's release.
Regarding what you quoted me on, what i said there was to show that the DS really started to sell on a general basis when the DS Lite was launched, and your graph also shows this :) If you look at that graph that you posted, you see that the blue line before the "DS Lite launch" point is in general lower (except for when the DS Phat launched) compared to the blue line after the "DS Lite launch" point.

The DS Phat did sell really good in the holiday season of 2005, i didnt know this to be honest, but i see it now :) And the DS Phat might have sold at least 100k a week from after the holiday season of 2005 and until the DS Lite was released if the supply was there as you said. I dont disagree with anything of this.

What i wrote earlier, then i was not only thinking about the DS Phat sales from after the holiday season of 2005 and until the launch of the DS Lite, if that is what you mean? I was thinking about how the DS Phat sold in general from when it first was released (in 2004-11-29) and up to when the DS Lite was released (in 2006-02-27).

The DS Phat did sell before the DS Lite was launched as well, but what about if you look on the time span in general from when the DS Phat was launched and up to when the DS Lite was released, then there wasnt that many weeks (relatively speak) where the DS sold like 100k units each week? I dont mean anything negative about this just to underline that, i am just mentioning this to compare how much the DS Phat sold on a weekly basis in general for about 1 year after it was launched to how much the DS Lite sold on the weekly basis in general for about 1 year after it was launched.

And when you compare this, then you see that the DS Lite really started to sell compared to how the DS Phat sold before the DS Lite (except for the 4-6 weeks after the DS Phat was released and expect for the Holiday season of 2005 and up to when the DS Lite was released) :)

(I know that you know when the DS Phat and the DS Lite were released, i am just mentioning the release dates to show which time span(s) i mean when i talked about the DS sales).

By the way, was the DS supply constrained before the holiday season of 2005? Or was the interest for the DS lower before the holiday season of 2005?

donny2112 said:
I'm pretty sure the color thing was a joke.
I also thought that it might have been a joke at first, but then there seemed to be a bit serious discussion/replies regarding that white consoles couldnt sell, so i also answered seriously to this. My points are still the same though, that i personally dont think that the color of gaming system matters too much as long as a gaming system has interesting games and a good pricetag, but if the color thing was just a joke, then i didnt really need to write all the things that i wrote :)

ksamedi

cvxfreak said:
9 days and ~72% sold through. I don't think that's very bad at all. The game is still very huge as far as a gaming phenomenon is concerned.

Almost everyone knew that Tri would destroy the PS2 games and would not be a slow burner like Portable 1, but measuring it against the PSP sequels was always the hardest part. So far, it's reasonably following the sales pattern established by Monster Hunter Portable 2nd, which didn't break 1 Million until it's 4th week on Famitsu's charts (well, it was close enough the 3rd week) and had an even bigger fall its second week than Tri did. That game also happened to be #3 its second week.

What differentiates Tri from Portable 2nd is that Tri had a much bigger initial shipment. Portable 2nd, if I remember correctly, actually sold out. It's clear that a 1 Million initial shipment for Tri was larger than its launch would have supported (even if selling all of it at launch was a ridiculous assumption), but it's still too early to call the game a disappointment. I wouldn't even call it "massively overshipped" yet since we all know a vast majority of this shipment will sell. (See my note below)

What we need to keep an eye out for is what legs it will display. Even Portable 2nd looked like it wouldn't have much more substantial sales after six or so weeks, but it displayed good legs up until its expansion pack launched (so it still sold in spite of its announcement, fueled by the PSP slim). It's for this reason that I'm not convinced a PSP announcement would mean the death of this game, at least right away. But Tri can certainly display legs like the PSP games, and can also benefit from boosts that the Wii gets from holidays and so forth.

*And by the way, biccamera.com sold out of the standalone Tri, so that very special price is no longer on offer. So, unless there are further price collapses on certain SKUs, we can give the conspiracy theories a rest for now. For the most part, Tri is still sold at prices in line with most new games.

Well that pretty much guarantees a new shipment :)

cvxfreak

I also want to see what everyone's opinions on a viable alternative to what Capcom did with Monster Hunter 3. So, ignoring for a moment that it's still far too early to call anything and that the game is the biggest disappointment in recent years, what would YOU have done?

We all know that one of the earliest criticisms of Tri - that it could have sold just as well on the PS2 - is clearly untrue. Having the backing of Nintendo counts for a lot more than one thinks, and the game is getting a Western release.

PSP only? PS2? PS3?

schuelma said:
We certainly need to see more data, but at this early point the 2nd week number going by Famitsu sales isn't very good.
Games closest to MH3's performance so far, being +/-50K of Famitsu's number for both weeks:
262 Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness
2662 Dragon Quest IV DS
2105 Dynasty Warriors 5

test_account said:
By the way, was the DS supply constrained before the holiday season of 2005? Or was the interest for the DS lower before the holiday season of 2005?
Holiday 2005 was a big jump. DS was doing decently prior, but I don't think anyone was expecting records to be broken or supply to run dry.

I haven't done a big search of old stuff, but I just took a quick look at the first pages of the couple of MC threads prior to the release of MHG Wii. Here are a few of the low-ball predictions before everyone saw how well MHG did. Well, coupled with a crazy-high MHG prediction. I'd do a bit more hunting, but my connection is being pretty awful.
AranhaHunter said:
I was gonna guess 500k LTD for MHG, I just think that MH is a lot more popular now than back in the PS2 days, but then again I might be way off :lol
donny2112 said:
Maybe for MH3, but I think that could be stretching it.
Dash Kappei said:
150/200k for G, 500k for MH3 (600k at max wih the BEST releases).

botticus

cvxfreak said:
I also want to see what everyone's opinions on a viable alternative to what Capcom did with Monster Hunter 3. So, ignoring for a moment that it's still far too early to call anything and that the game is the biggest disappointment in recent years, what would YOU have done?

We all know that one of the earliest criticisms of Tri - that it could have sold just as well on the PS2 - is clearly untrue. Having the backing of Nintendo counts for a lot more than one thinks, and the game is getting a Western release.

PSP only? PS2? PS3?
The only other viable alternative would have been PSP exclusive. But with the assumption that an MHP3 will exist at some point, there's very little downside to selling a million copies on the Wii first from Capcom's standpoint.

farnham

Banned
PS2 - nah... the platform is already in coma
PS3 - PS3 hasnt really even started.. if its ever going to
360 - laughable installbase
PS3/360 Multiplatform - would be viable if MH would be big outside of Japan.. in short not really
PSP only - makes little sense since you would need little porting from the wii and vice versa..
DS - instant WINNAH!!!

cvxfreak said:

PSP only? PS2? PS3?
Monster Hunter DS!!!!

botticus said:
The only other viable alternative would have been PSP exclusive. But with the assumption that an MHP3 will exist at some point, there's very little downside to selling a million copies on the Wii first from Capcom's standpoint.
bingo

gunther

Calling MH tri a bomba is just ridiculous. First of all a bomba is release that make the parts involved loose money, like bionic commando. One way to measure if the release wasnt successfull is looking at expectations. Clearly MH tri is making money for capcom so cearly is not a bomba.

I dont think Tri is a bomba, I just think people had some high expectations for the game. I never expected it to really come close to the PSP versions so I guess im not really surprised. It will do very well for Capcom until the PSP version comes out and sells like hotcakes.

Xeke

Banned
test_account said:
Regarding what you quoted me on, what i said there was to show that the DS really started to sell on a general basis when the DS Lite was launched, and your graph also shows this :) If you look at that graph that you posted, you see that the blue line before the "DS Lite launch" point is in general lower (except for when the DS Phat launched) compared to the blue line after the "DS Lite launch" point.

The DS Phat did sell really good in the holiday season of 2005, i didnt know this to be honest, but i see it now :) And the DS Phat might have sold at least 100k a week from after the holiday season of 2005 and until the DS Lite was released if the supply was there as you said. I dont disagree with anything of this.

What i wrote earlier, then i was not only thinking about the DS Phat sales from after the holiday season of 2005 and until the launch of the DS Lite, if that is what you mean? I was thinking about how the DS Phat sold in general from when it first was released (in 2004-11-29) and up to when the DS Lite was released (in 2006-02-27).

The DS Phat did sell before the DS Lite was launched as well, but what about if you look on the time span in general from when the DS Phat was launched and up to when the DS Lite was released, then there wasnt that many weeks (relatively speak) where the DS sold like 100k units each week? I dont mean anything negative about this just to underline that, i am just mentioning this to compare how much the DS Phat sold on a weekly basis in general for about 1 year after it was launched to how much the DS Lite sold on the weekly basis in general for about 1 year after it was launched.

And when you compare this, then you see that the DS Lite really started to sell compared to how the DS Phat sold before the DS Lite (except for the 4-6 weeks after the DS Phat was released and expect for the Holiday season of 2005 and up to when the DS Lite was released) :)

(I know that you know when the DS Phat and the DS Lite were released, i am just mentioning the release dates to show which time span(s) i mean when i talked about the DS sales).

I also thought that it might have been a joke at first, but then there seemed to be a bit serious discussion/replies regarding that white consoles couldnt sell, so i also answered seriously to this. My points are still the same though, that i personally dont think that the color of gaming system matters too much as long as a gaming system has interesting games and a good pricetag, but if the color thing was just a joke, then i didnt really need to write all the things that i wrote :)

For most of the time the DS Phat existed there were no games that would have really fueled sales like the DS Lite saw and once those games came out at the end of the Phat's life then it took off.

Up until winter 2005 Nintendo had released games like Nintendogs, Brain Training and Super Mario 64DS. Winter 2005 saw Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Brain Age 2 and set the DS off. New Super Mario Bros followed in the spring and then the games started to pile up and keep it rolling.

The point is for most of 2005 there weren't many inspiring games be released with any sort of regularity.

farnham

Banned
yellowjacket25 said:
I dont think Tri is a bomba, I just think people had some high expectations for the game. I never expected it to really come close to the PSP versions so I guess im not really surprised. It will do very well for Capcom until the PSP version comes out and sells like hotcakes.
up until recently capcoms estimations were 500k.. which it clearly met.. i dont know why capcom ramped their expectations up to 1 million but hey.. they already sold 72% of their expectation... thats not that bad..

donny2112

test_account said:
i am just mentioning this to compare how much the DS Phat sold on a weekly basis in general for about 1 year after it was launched to how much the DS Lite sold on the weekly basis in general for about 1 year after it was launched.

The DS Lite rode the wave that the original DS started. Did the DS Lite help keep that wave going and even increase it? Definitely, yes. However you cannot say that the DS Lite would've garnered those sales (especially initially) on its own if not for the already immense pent-up demand for the DS, in general.

test_account said:

Nope. It was around Brain Traing 2's release at the end of December that the country started to be sold out. I think Nintendo was planning on letting the current DS sell-through its stock in preparation for the DS Lite's release early the next year, but there's no way they could've expected that consecutive record-breaking weeks in December would drain out all that supply early.

Spiegel

farnham said:
up until recently capcoms estimations were 500k.. which it clearly met.. i dont know why capcom ramped their expectations up to 1 million but hey.. they already sold 72% of their expectation... thats not that bad..

When did they say that?
I only recall the 2 million WW expectation before April 2010

And usually publishers don't expect to sell only the first shipment.

birdchili

more sold-to-gamer copies of mh3 means more online revenue?

perhaps capcom is incentivizing retailers to re-order somehow?

</random made-up theory>

gtj1092

farnham said:
PS2 - nah... the platform is already in coma

Ps2 just charted the number one game in the country and multiplats between it and Wii still greatly favor the Ps2 even more so than even in between Ps2 and Ps3. If you are talking strictly software sales the only thing keeping Ps2 sales down is the lack of releases even still I think it sold more third party software than wii up until June. MH3 could of launched on Ps2 no problem.

schuelma

cvxfreak said:
So far, it's reasonably following the sales pattern established by Monster Hunter Portable 2nd, which didn't break 1 Million until it's 4th week on Famitsu's charts (well, it was close enough the 3rd week) and had an even bigger fall its second week than Tri did. That game also happened to be #3 its second week.

Yeah, good point (I assume you're talking about MH Frontier 2). Unless it was really supply constrained 2nd week that is indeed a bigger drop.

Like I said, looking forward to the Media Create numbers to see how they match up.

schuelma

Frillen said:
Mods: Can bomba/bomb/bombed please become a bannable word?

Well, considering it is a mod using the term....I doubt it :lol

gtj1092 said:
Ps2 just charted the number one game in the country and multiplats between it and Wii still greatly favor the Ps2 even more so than even in between Ps2 and Ps3. If you are talking strictly software sales the only thing keeping Ps2 sales down is the lack of releases even still I think it sold more third party software than wii up until June. MH3 could of launched on Ps2 no problem.

I don't think Monster Hunter Tri would of had anyone where near the type of reception on the PS2 as it has had on the Wii. Just the fact that it is a big third party game on the Wii has created a lot of buzz. Countless Nintendo fans have instantly become interested in the game, just because "Oh my god, it's a big third party game on the Wii". If the game had come out on the PS2, it would just be a title lost in the shuffle. It would do well, but maybe only as well as Monster Hunter 2.

Dalthien

cvxfreak said:
Ha ha!

So the one (online only) shop that GAF has been using to 'prove' that MH3 bombed will likely now actually be placing an order for a new shipment. :lol

Classic GAF.

gunther

Stopsign said:
I don't think Monster Hunter Tri would of had anyone where near the type of reception on the PS2 as it has had on the Wii. Just the fact that it is a big third party game on the Wii has created a lot of buzz. Countless Nintendo fans have instantly become interested in the game, just because "Oh my god, it's a big third party game on the Wii". If the game had come out on the PS2, it would just be a title lost in the shuffle. It would do well, but maybe only as well as Monster Hunter 2.

Also releasing MH tri on ps2 wold be a good idea only in japan stoping a possible release outside of japan. Maybe the only other choice that capcom had was releasing MH tri was on PS3 at the expenses of expending more money on the production fo the game but selling more or less than MH tri on wii have sold.

cvxfreak said:

And once again poster brings us back to reality.

I don't know what's more ridiculous this or having my joke post about the Wii's color turn into a serious debate that has branched out so much. :lol

Jesus Gaf at overanalyzing.

gunther said:
Also releasing MH tri on ps2 wold be a good idea only in japan stoping a possible release outside of japan. Maybe the only other choice that capcom had was releasing MH tri was on PS3 at the expenses of expending more money on the production fo the game but selling more or less than MH tri on wii have sold.

The PS2 NEEDS to die.

Koren

inner-G said:
I want a HD Puyo so bad.
I want a Puyo with the old cast so bad. The Madou Monogatari cast was genious, I hated when Sega tried to replace it by a new one, with a new style (and introduced new qwirks like fever mode).

I'm still playing the DC one and the first Puyo Pop on GBA...

donny2112

gtj1092 said:
If you are talking strictly software sales the only thing keeping Ps2 sales down is the lack of releases

New releases that made the Media Create Top 50 in 2009 (all publishers):

NDS - 75
PSP - 64
PS3 - 37
PS2 - 32
WII - 28
360 - 27

Edit:
And just because I was curious.

New releases that made the Media Create Top 50 in 2009 (third-parties only):

NDS - 68
PSP - 58
PS3 - 33
PS2 - 32
360 - 24
WII - 19

dyls said:
Wow.

From what I understand it's already hitting the bargain bins. Even if it sells "Well" now it definitely isn't what would be considered the desirable kind of sales, retailers aren't likely to place many new orders for it either.

schuelma

typhonsentra said:
Sankaku isn't a very reliable source I'll give you but...

47524__x_bic_mh3.jpg

Probably a bad sign, even if this were a one-time deal.

Wow, nice scoop.

cvxfreak

typhonsentra said:

47524__x_bic_mh3.jpg

We already talked about this.

This was an online-only deal at ONE retailer. The store's B&M shops did not have this deal, nor did anyone else, and it's already sold out.

Xeke

Banned
typhonsentra said:

47524__x_bic_mh3.jpg

Online retailers are starting to sell out of the most popular SKU. It's doing fine. Jesus.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
I heard they are already burying copies in the dessert

I heard they are already in the bargain bin of the bargain bins.

Vinci

Danish
schuelma said:

Cracker Jack boxes.

EDIT: What's sad about all this? Damn thing could end up selling over a million and there will be people in several months time talking about how the game bombed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I heard they put it in bargain bins and then buried the bargain bins in the desert. Then nuked them from orbit just to be sure. No-one can doubt the level of bomba when there is a mushroom cloud on the horizon.

gunther

Flying_Phoenix said:
And once again poster brings us back to reality.

I don't know what's more ridiculous this or having my joke post about the Wii's color turn into a serious debate that has branched out so much. :lol

Jesus Gaf at overanalyzing.

The PS2 NEEDS to die.

Its not a matter of killing the PS2 as is understanding why people are not moving to the next-gen consoles.

Vinci

Danish
gunther said:
Its not a matter of killing the PS2 as is understanding why people are not moving to the next-gen consoles.

Because none of the current-gen (THAT'S RIGHT - CURRENT GEN!) consoles is a PS2.

schuelma said:

I heard retailers are so angry that they've starting making bargain bins out of unsold copies and are filling these with more unsold copies.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
The DS Lite rode the wave that the original DS started. Did the DS Lite help keep that wave going and even increase it? Definitely, yes. However you cannot say that the DS Lite would've garnered those sales (especially initially) on its own if not for the already immense pent-up demand for the DS, in general.
Indeed, but did i say or indicate anything that said this? If so, then i must have worded myself poorly, sorry, because i didnt mean to say anything against what you say here.

When i first quoted what Flying_Phoenix said, the reason why i mentioned that the DS really started to sell when the DS Lite was released was mostly to show that eventhough that the DS Lite had a white color (i think?), it still sold much more than the DS Phat that had a grey color. So that the DS Lite being white didnt really seems to affect the sales (we could just guess how the DS Lite would have sold if the DS Lite was also grey like the DS Phat). This is why i mentioned why the DS really started to sell when the DS Lite was released. I didnt mean to say or indicate that it was the DS Lite alone was the reason that the DS sales really took off. Maybe it looked like i was saying and/or indicating something else though, but that wasnt my intentions at least :)

I also said to Xeke earlier that the DS Phat would probably contunie to sell like 100k a week even if the DS Lite wasnt released, because the DS in general seemed to be really popular after the holiday season of 2005:

test_account said:
Do you mean from the holiday 2005 and up to the DS Lite, or if the DS Lite wasnt released at all? But either way, i think that the DS Phat would have sold over 100k a week uptil the DS Lite was launched if the supply was there, and i also think that the DS Phat would have sold 100k a week if the DS Lite wasnt released at the time that it was released, i agree :)

But if the "white gaming sytems cant really sell in Japan" was only a joke, then what i said wasnt really needed to be said :)

JoshuaJSlone said:
Holiday 2005 was a big jump. DS was doing decently prior, but I don't think anyone was expecting records to be broken or supply to run dry.
Xeke said:
For most of the time the DS Phat existed there were no games that would have really fueled sales like the DS Lite saw and once those games came out at the end of the Phat's life then it took off.

Up until winter 2005 Nintendo had released games like Nintendogs, Brain Training and Super Mario 64DS. Winter 2005 saw Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and Brain Age 2 and set the DS off. New Super Mario Bros followed in the spring and then the games started to pile up and keep it rolling.

The point is for most of 2005 there weren't many inspiring games be released with any sort of regularity.
donny2112 said:
Nope. It was around Brain Traing 2's release at the end of December that the country started to be sold out. I think Nintendo was planning on letting the current DS sell-through its stock in preparation for the DS Lite's release early the next year, but there's no way they could've expected that consecutive record-breaking weeks in December would drain out all that supply early.
(I quote all 3 quotes at once, since my reply is pretty much the same to all the quotes)

Ah ok, so games like Animal Crossing DS, Brain Training 2 and Mario Kart DS were released in the holiday season of 2005. I can understand that the DS did see a big boost in sales because of this. Thanks for the info to all of you! :)

Top Bottom