• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

gunther said:
Its not a matter of killing the PS2 as is understanding why people are not moving to the next-gen consoles.

Because most of the appealing games are available on the PS2 and there is so far not a true successor to the platform?

typhonsentra said:
Sankaku isn't a very reliable source I'll give you but...

47524__x_bic_mh3.jpg

Probably a bad sign, even if this were a one-time deal.
imouto.gif

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Flying_Phoenix said:
Because most of the appealing games are available on the PS2 and there is so far not a true successor to the platform?
That just begs the question, if games can continue to sell on the PS2 why is a successor needed?

Vinci

Danish
poppabk said:
That just begs the question, if games can continue to sell on the PS2 why is a successor needed?

Because of graphics and open world environments and physics and online and... technological progress, damn it!

poppabk said:

Because the userbase for these games are already significantly split. I could see that being a smart action in 2007 but not in 2009.

Vinci said:
Because of graphics and open world environments and physics and online and... technological progress, damn it!

Which is why the Wii is the best choice for Japanese publishers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Flying_Phoenix said:
Which is why the Wii is the best choice for Japanese publishers.
After DS and PSP probably yes....

btw. I heard you can get a used copy of fragile for a ew monster hunter tri copy.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Vinci said:

And also new console players, not only the ones left behind but also the next generation.

gunther

Vinci said:
Because none of the current-gen (THAT'S RIGHT - CURRENT GEN!) consoles is a PS2.

i know, I was tring to reflect that the situation is so bad in japan that killing the ps2 wont solve anythin. The fact that the PS2 is still selling game is really telling, put that together with people calling MH tri a bomba and you know something is really wrong.

pd: I know that PS2 is last gen and 360,wii,ps3 are current gen but..... nevermind, it dosnt matter really.

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
PS3 - PS3 hasnt really even started.. if its ever going to
I wonder how MH3 for the PS3 would have been received and sold if it had some good interaction with the PSP version(s) of the Monster Hunter games (for those who dont know, the PSP can interact with the PS3), that you could transfer characters and items between MH3 for the PS3 and the PSP Monster Hunter games. (I am not saying that MH3 should have been released for the PS3 just to underline that, i just thought that this was an interesting thought about the PS3 and the PSP interaction regarding Monster Hunter games :)).

Azelover said:
And also new console players, not only the ones left behind but also the next generation.
The PS2 is still for sales in stores though, so it should be hard for new console players to buy a PS2, if that is what you mean? :)

donny2112

gunther said:
Maybe the only other choice that capcom had was releasing MH tri was on PS3 at the expenses of expending more money on the production fo the game but selling more or less than MH tri on wii have sold.

Fixed that for ya'.

typhonsentra said:
From what I understand it's already hitting the bargain bins.

Then your understanding is deeply, deeply flawed.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
test_account said:
The PS2 is still for sales in stores though, so it should be hard for new console players to buy a PS2, if that is what you mean? :)

I was actually refering to the controller as well as new brands. And enticing new generations into new interesting aspects of videogaming, when old tactics to lure them were no longer novel. But carry on.

test_account

XP-39C²
Azelover said:
I was actually refering to the controller as well as new brands. And enticing new generations into new interesting aspects of videogaming, when old tactics to lure them were no longer novel. But carry on.
Ah ok, i understand what you mean. Ye, that is true, bringing a new control scheme like the Wii has and introducing a new brand (maybe people are getting a bit tired of the old brands) might indeed lead to bigger sales as you say compared to trying to sell the older gaming systems like the PS2 instead, i agree :)

ccbfan

Way to much over reaction here.

Even though MH3 is probably gonna miss Capcom's expectations. Capcom's current course of action is still the best course of action for them.

I mean what else could they do.

Put it on the PS3 and even if it sells more on the PS3, the added development cost and the inability to reuse assets for the PSP version(which is where the real money is) makes its not a great idea.

Put it on the 360 and LOL.

Put it on the PS2 and while it'll probably sell more in Japan (Stop comparing MH3 with MH2 cause MH games are much much bigger now then before and MH3 had much much more hype and marketing than MH2. Its akin to saying Xbox 360 and PS3 are better at selling jrpgs in Europe and NA than the snes when both versions of FFXIII outsell FF6), Worldwide sales will probably be less. Plus japanese 3rd party developers need to start building a userbase on the Wii if they want to have any future in home consoles. PS2 is not going to last forever.

Put it on the DS and you might as well just put it on the PSP. No one knows how well the MH on the DS will translate. Plus with the performance on P*P and PS0, I'm not even sure the DS userbase lieks this type of games. Plus again, can't reuse assets for the real money maker.

Go straight to the PSP. Stupid cause you might as well sell a million or so copies on a system then port it to the PSP and sell 3 more million. Plus putting it on any other system give it more of a chance of succeeding oversea.

Capcom will be fine from this. Not a big bomb and its still the best route.

My only disappointment is that it didn't revive the Wii like I thought it could to help other lower tiered core 3rd games. The boost of Wii hardware was really disappointing.

obonicus

Vinci said:
EDIT: What's sad about all this? Damn thing could end up selling over a million and there will be people in several months time talking about how the game bombed.

What's really sad is that if this is a bomba, it's a boring bomba. It doesn't really serve the Wii haters or lovers at all.

ccbfan said:
My only disappointment is that it didn't revive the Wii like I thought it could to help other lower tiered core 3rd games. The boost of Wii hardware was really disappointing.

We have figures for just one week of hardware sales, and it boosted sales by around 75k.

Can we please wait at least to see what hardware looks like this week before proclaiming doom & gloom?

MH3 sales have been disappointing for me mostly because of the state of console gaming in Japan.

When the SECOND BIGGEST franchise in Japan (3rd party) releases a long-awaited MAIN INSTALLMENT game, on the biggest console base by far, with massive hype and marketing, a new console color and popular controller bundles, might not even make 1 million, well.....that's just not good for console gaming in Japan.

I mean, if freaking Monster Hunter Tri, under such auspicious circumstances can't do it, what 3rd party title can?

(ok it will probably hit 1 million and FFXIII probably will too but that's about it :/ )

Cipherr

Ive always wondered how far people could stretch to try and convince themselves that a game bombed.

720k in 10 days, in one country, and it was being called a bomb. That is a new record.

Mark my words, we are going to be calling million sellers CRATERS by this time next year. Quote me.

Didn't Wada say something about wanting DQ IX to sell 12 million worldwide? I don't see anyone proclaiming that game a bomba.

The absolute worst case scenario for MH3 is that it winds up falling short of what Capcom had hoped to sell. But I doubt anyone is disappointed with these sales. They're pretty much the best sales for any console game in a long time.

vicissitudes said:
MH3 sales have been disappointing for me mostly because of the state of console gaming in Japan.

When the SECOND BIGGEST franchise in Japan (3rd party) releases a long-awaited MAIN INSTALLMENT game, on the biggest console base by far, with massive hype and marketing, a new console color and popular controller bundles, might not even make 1 million, well.....that's just not good for console gaming in Japan.

I mean, if freaking Monster Hunter Tri, under such auspicious circumstances can't do it, what 3rd party title can?

(ok it will probably hit 1 million and FFXIII probably will too but that's about it :/ )

So Monster Hunter has it's best selling game to ever appear on a console within 9 days of sales, and that's somehow bad for console gaming?

wrowa

Achievement Unlocked: Highest selling bomb of all time

Gratulations Capcom, you're the first publisher to unlock this achievement! We have the feeling you kinda cheated, though.

Sincerely,
the developers of Game Biz: The Game

wrowa said:
Achievement Unlocked: Highest selling bomb of all time

Gratulations Capcom, you're the first publisher to unlock this achievement! We have the feeling you kinda cheated, though.

Sincerely,
the developers of Game Biz: The Game

That award still goes to ET, but Bionic Commando HD was a much bigger bomb to Capcom than what people are speculating (hoping?) MH Tri will be.

freddy

Banned
I really hope some of the regulars in this thread will snap out of trying to define every games success or failure based on limited knowledge of expectations and budgets. There's some obvious agenda and button pushing going on and it doesn't make for good reading.

Here we have a game that has or is about to become the best selling third party game on home consoles this generation and showing growth over its previous console iterations despite a shift towards portable gaming and a shift away from gaming in general. Well done I say.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yes, 2 million shipment worldwide by the end of March next year. I doubt they'll meet that, but it shouldn't be a Bionic Commando situation or anything.

Edit- Of course, we have that news article saying how Nintendo is going to try and help Capcom in the West with marketing and stuff..so who knows, maybe we see a breakthrough.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I'm pretty sure their expectation was 2 million worldwide. Isn't that what was mentioned earlier?

Could be.
There's been so many conflicting reports by people about it.
Either way, the game is hardly a bomb in Japan.
Now, let's see if Nintendo and Capcom can sell it to Westerners.

[Nintex]

schuelma said:
Yes, 2 million shipments worldwide by the end of March next year. I doubt they'll meet that, but it shouldn't be a Bionic Commando situation or anything.
It seems that Wii owners in Europe/US are quite excited by it, the question is if it stands out compared to all the other games released during Q1 2010.

spwolf

schuelma said:
Yes, 2 million shipments worldwide by the end of March next year. I doubt they'll meet that, but it shouldn't be a Bionic Commando situation or anything.

i dont understand why wouldnt it sell well worldwide, i am kind of slow i guess, i apologize.
I just thought that since Wii sells a lot more software worldwide compared to PSP (ratio vs JPN sales), why wouldnt MH on Wii sell good in Europe and USA? I mean if expectations are 1 million outside Japan, that should not be that hard for Wii exclusive game to get?

Of course, unless they expected a lot more than half of those 2 million to come from Japan, in that case, ooops.

You know Gaf is getting ridiculous with these "bomb" labels when the majority of the thread are criticizing it.

And here I was thinking that people were being ridiculous over calling Okami Wii a bomb because it managed to sell on par with the PS2 version but holy shit does this take the cake!:lol

Stopsign said:
I don't think Monster Hunter Tri would of had anyone where near the type of reception on the PS2 as it has had on the Wii. Just the fact that it is a big third party game on the Wii has created a lot of buzz. Countless Nintendo fans have instantly become interested in the game, just because "Oh my god, it's a big third party game on the Wii". If the game had come out on the PS2, it would just be a title lost in the shuffle. It would do well, but maybe only as well as Monster Hunter 2.

This is quite true in the West at least. For another example see Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube or (possibly) Metal Gear Solid 4.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Didn't Wada say something about wanting DQ IX to sell 12 million worldwide? I don't see anyone proclaiming that game a bomba.

People seem to forget this. Monster Hunter 3 (like Dragon Quest IX) plan to be the entries to break out of the Japanese market. This was a HUGE reason for those franchises to appear on Nintendo systems so that Nintendo could greatly aid the marketing.

schuelma

spwolf said:
i dont understand why wouldnt it sell well worldwide, i am kind of slow i guess, i apologize.
I just thought that since Wii sells a lot more software worldwide compared to PSP (ratio vs JPN sales), why wouldnt MH on Wii sell good in Europe and USA? I mean if expectations are 1 million outside Japan, that should not be that hard for Wii exclusive game to get?

As I understand it, the PS2 games didn't sell that well. Plus, right now its supposed to come out in March, so that doesn't leave a lot of time to meet the forecast.

spwolf said:

Of course, unless they expected a lot more than half of those 2 million to come from Japan, in that case, ooops.

The problem is that Monster Hunter has no appeal outside of Japan to the majority of people.
It really doesn't matter what console it's on.
However, I think if Nintendo is really serious about their support for the game, that Capcom and Nintendo can get the game out there.
We'll see, though.

meme

Banned
spwolf said:

Japanese sales will probably get to 1 million, but the Monster Hunter franchise isn't nearly as strong in the rest of the world as it is in Japan. Well, that'll be the first Monster Hunter to be strongly advertised outside of Japan, I think, so, who knows?

Edit: Tri-beaten again? D:

meme said:
Japanese sales will probably get to 1 million, but the Monster Hunter franchise isn't nearly as strong in the rest of the world as it is in Japan. Well, that'll be the first Monster Hunter to be strongly advertised outside of Japan, I think, so, who knows?

Edit: Tri-beaten again? D:

The recent PSP Monster Hunter (Freedom Unite) had a very strong TV Ad campaign here in the UK, the most evident advertising push since FFVII Crisis Core for a PSP game

duckroll

I'm really glad that the Japanese consumers have once again proven that they're no longer really interested in console gaming. Portables are the future, and as long as sales continue to move in that direction in both sales and development in Japan, I am happy. :D

schuelma

duckroll said:
I'm really glad that the Japanese consumers have once again proven that they're no longer really interested in console gaming. Portables are the future, and as long as sales continue to move in that direction in both sales and development in Japan, I am happy. :D

I really can't tell who is being serious and who is joking around here.

dfyb

Banned
if yakuza 3 could do over 370k, i think MH3 on PS3 could have done numbers in the same ballpark. while it certainly isn't a bomb, i think a PS360 release would have been a better choice for all sorts of reasons. the PSP games are a mega-hit in japan, and having some sort of PSP<>PS3 interaction could have helped bring MH success to home consoles.

duckroll

dfyb said:
if yakuza 3 could do over 370k, i think MH3 on PS3 could have done numbers in the same ballpark. while it certainly isn't a bomb, i think a PS360 release would have been a better choice for all sorts of reasons. the PSP games are a mega-hit in japan, and having some sort of PSP<>PS3 interaction could have helped bring MH success to home consoles.

Yakuza 3 and MGS4 both failed to sell as much as the previous installment of their respective series on the PS2. Meanwhile MH3 has surpassed the previous installment of the series on the PS2. Let's talk about that instead. :)

Top Bottom