• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Jul 27-Aug 2, 2009

carlo6529

DavidDayton said:
Well, I know why FFXIII isn't hitting the Wii -- at the very least, it's been in development for the PS3 for quite a while now. However, I was puzzling over why FFXIV had been announced for the PS3.

What were you expecting? I am assuming you are puzzled that it is not coming to the 360. I know next to nothing about the specs of the hardware, but maybe Square-Enix feels that the PS3 is the only current console capable of running the software.

Or maybe it goes to a deal made a while ago between Sony and Square.

Edit~ Sorry didn't read your post correctly. I think FFXIV has been in development just as long as FFXIII.

DavidDayton said:
Actually, I'm puzzled as to why DQ is going to the Wii while FF isn't.

Because DQ always appears on market-leader consoles regardless of power while FF has over recent years clearly bent towards being a high-production-values series? Because the people who call the shots on FF (S-E execs) and DQ (Horii) are different? Because S-E committed to HD too early with FFXIII and it's too late to roll it back now?

Flying_Phoenix said:
Install base doesn't matter much when it comes to established franchises.

More specifically, there's declining marginal utility for each additional unit sold. Your upfront buyers are always your most dedicated and your later, cheaper purchasers are generally less so; 5x install base never actually translates into 5x LTDs on individual software titles.

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Nah. Development cycle will be too long. Development of FFXV will outlast this gen.

Nah. Gen'll last 7-8 years, and FFs can come out at the same time as or a little bit after the new hotness launches anyway. We'll see FFXV on PS360.

DavidDayton said:
Well, I know why FFXIII isn't hitting the Wii -- at the very least, it's been in development for the PS3 for quite a while now. However, I was puzzling over why FFXIV had been announced for the PS3.
It's an MMO, which I don't think the Wii is particularly well-suited for. As to why there isn't a 360 version announced... wait.

DavidDayton said:
I have a notion that it wasn't intended originally intended to be a Final Fantasy and was rebranded as such in the hopes of spurring sales.

rpmurphy

Nah. Development cycle will be too long. Development of FFXV will outlast this gen.
Well yeah. But even we assume that FFXV will not be released this generation, I still doubt we'll see SE bringing the title to the next Nintendo console. Handheld or even still PS/Xbox platforms are probably more likely because of the way the current demographics are laid out.

rpmurphy said:
Well yeah. But even we assume that FFXV will not be released this generation, I still doubt we'll see SE bringing the title to the next Nintendo console. Handheld or even still PS/Xbox platforms are probably more likely because of the way the current demographics are laid out.
FF won't go to a handheld platform. I think the days of platform-exclusive FFs are over.

I have a notion that it wasn't intended originally intended to be a Final Fantasy and was rebranded as such in the hopes of spurring sales.
Ehn, it was always planned to be the "sequel" to Final Fantasy XI. As such, I can't imagine they ever planned to release it without the Final Fantasy name on it.

charlequin said:
More specifically, there's declining marginal utility for each additional unit sold. Your upfront buyers are always your most dedicated and your later, cheaper purchasers are generally less so; 5x install base never actually translates into 5x LTDs on individual software titles.

Bingo.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, it was always planned to be the "sequel" to Final Fantasy XI. As such, I can't imagine they ever planned to release it without the Final Fantasy name on it.
Was it now? I didn't know that. I, like the majority of people, quite rightly ignored everything to do with FFXI, just as I will everything to do with FFXIV. I see them as S-E's blatant attempts at using the Final Fantasy brand name to break into the MMO market. In my view, they don't count as proper entries to the series (i.e. self-contained single-player stories with a finite story arc).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You mean like FFXII: RW? (SO obviously started out as an ogre game :/ )

MotherFan

carlo6529 said:
What were you expecting? I am assuming you are puzzled that it is not coming to the 360. I know next to nothing about the specs of the hardware, but maybe Square-Enix feels that the PS3 is the only current console capable of running the software.

Or maybe it goes to a deal made a while ago between Sony and Square.

Edit~ Sorry didn't read your post correctly. I think FFXIV has been in development just as long as FFXIII.

Well, Square basically said they will be bringing it to other hardware at E3. So no one should be surprised. And the thing about hardware.....it didn't limit 11 and I doubt it will limit 14. In actuality the opposite occured.

As for the dev time, its an MMO so dev time should be high. There is a hell of alot more stuff to balance and think about for an mmo as compared to a normal pc/console game.

Edit: Viciouskillersquirrel, it was going to have the ff name since 11 did. has races, has classes that fit FF. But, I agree it never should have been a numbered entry. FF: Insert subtitle here would have been the best format.

ethelred

I see them as S-E's blatant attempts at using the Final Fantasy brand name to break into the MMO market.

You see Square's two MMOs as Square's attempt to break into the MMO market? Have you contacted any journalists about this? I think we might have an exposé on our hands.

Was it now? I didn't know that. I, like the majority of people, quite rightly ignored everything to do with FFXI, just as I will everything to do with FFXIV. I see them as S-E's blatant attempts at using the Final Fantasy brand name to break into the MMO market. In my view, they don't count as proper entries to the series (i.e. self-contained single-player stories with a finite story arc).
Final Fantasy XI is arguably more of a Final Fantasy game than a lot of the latter installments in the series. It also contains several extremely well-told finite story arcs. The problem is that you have to work hard to see them.

If Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XII deserve to be called Final Fantasy, so does Final Fantasy XI.

MotherFan

Segata Sanshiro said:
Final Fantasy XI is arguably more of a Final Fantasy game than a lot of the latter installments in the series. It also contains several extremely well-told finite story arcs. The problem is that you have to work hard to see them.

If Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XII deserve to be called Final Fantasy, so does Final Fantasy XI .

No. I enjoyed playing ffxi and put alot of time in it, but it in no way deserves being a numbered entry.

In my view, they don't count as proper entries to the series (i.e. self-contained single-player stories with a finite story arc).

Sadly, the truth is that FFXI does have a self-contained story with a finite arc, by almost all accounts the most detailed and well-managed story in any MMO ever, but you need ludicrously dedicated friends or a very, very narrowly selected class spec if you want to see them in any remotely efficient way.

FFXIV will almost certainly follow suit on the story, but I'm hopeful from the info that's come out so far that it won't on the "impossible to solo, painful class balance" part.

So any predictions on this weeks games?

Tales PSP 200k
Gundam PS2 120k
Gundam Wii 45k
Blood of the Bahamut 120k

All first week, I forgot about other games releasing this week. Oh and for MH3 second week I say 280k.

Cipherr

Im shocked it sold over 500 freaking k. I guess I really underestimated the franchise and the gamers willingness to grab it up.

in 2 days, damn.

Narag

Segata Sanshiro said:

If Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy XII deserve to be called Final Fantasy, so does Final Fantasy XI.

Amen. FFXI most definitely deserves its status as a numbered entry. You actually had to work at progressing as you levelled (for better or for worse), but when it was fresh it was so awesome to experience one of the most realized FF worlds with people directly ingame rather than via communication outside of the game. The city missions were fantastic, the AF quests often had interesting storylines, and there was enough content (albiet requiring groups so friends were important) to keep one busy for a long while. In particular with the rank missions was the constant interaction and encounter with various important NPCs from each faction. People praised WoW's Battle for Undercity and while I thorougly enjoyed it, I'd already experienced that sort of treat when throwing down with Prince Trion or Ajido-Marujido at my side.

MotherFan said:
Speaking of gundam, I was searching for the dynasty warrior gundam 2 thread and could not find it :/
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332998&page=1

Announcement thread that transitioned into an official one iirc.

MotherFan

LINK.AGE76 said:
So any predictions on this weeks games?

Tales PSP 200k
Gundam PS2 120k
Gundam Wii 45k
Blood of the Bahamut 120k

All first week, I forgot about other games releasing this week. Oh and for MH3 second week I say 280k.

Speaking of gundam, I was searching for the dynasty warrior gundam 2 thread and could not find it :/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Going by the shipments from the first day sales, the only game that could have met LINK.AGE76's first week predictions without a second shipment has already beaten it. :lol

Very nice first day sales for G Generation Wars PS2 as expected, not a bad start for ToVS or G Generation Wars Wii either.

bttb said:
First Day Figures

[PS2] G Generation Wars - 136,000 (73%)
[PSP] Tales of VS - 89,000 (49%)
[NDS] Blood of Bahamut - 25,000 (22%)
[PS2] Kamen Rider - 25,000 (71%)
[360] Magna Carta 2 - 22,000 (41%)
[WII] G Generation Wars - 21,000 (53%)
[PS2] Winning Eleven - 19,000 (19%)
[NDS] Irodzuki Tincle - 18,000 (19%)
[NDS] Bleach 4th - 6,500 (18%)
[PSP] Hayarigami 3 - 4,700 (49%)
[PS3] Red Faction - 3,900 (38%)
[WII] Personal Trainer - 3,600 (18%)
[360] Red Faction - 3,000 (38%)
[NDS] Shugo Chara - 2,300 (14%)
[NDS] Sonic Chronicles - 2,200 (18%)
[NDS] Item Getter - 1,000 (13%)
[WII] Pop'n Music - 900 (9%)
[PSP] Strikers 1945+ - 830 (12%)
[NDS] Suteki ni Nurse - 510 (8%)

PS2 getting a couple good sell throughs. I'm starting to think the PS2 will last till the PS4 generation if high selling games like these keep coming.

bttb said:
First Day Figures

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1249555433/172

Wow, Gundam PS2 already passed my expectations for the first week :lol

EDarkness

bttb said:
First Day Figures

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1249555433/172

What I want to know is why even bother with having a Wii version of Generation Wars? It wasn't even worth bothering with since basically all of the fanbase is on the PS2 and haven't moved over yet. Having a PS2 version of the game isn't gonna compel them to switch.

hatchx

Banned
EDarkness said:
What I want to know is why even bother with having a Wii version of Generation Wars? It wasn't even worth bothering with since basically all of the fanbase is on the PS2 and haven't moved over yet. Having a PS2 version of the game isn't gonna compel them to switch.

I believe this is largely due to them axing backwards compatibility with ps3 (for most SKU's). Dumbest move Sony's made.

jj984jj

LINK.AGE76 said:
Wow, Gundam PS2 already passed my expectations for the first week :lol
G Generation Spirits sold 231k in its first week, 120k would've been a huge drop, you should've expected it to be #1 this week. The rest of your predictions are overshot though.

jj984jj said:
G Generation Spirits sold 231k in its first week, 120k would've been a huge drop, you should've expected it to be #1 this week. The rest of your predictions are overshot though.

I don't know what I was thinking :lol

I think if Gundam was on Wii only it would've sold as much too.

CTLance

schuelma said:
Wii 95,357
The leak was off..Wii hardware very close to Famitsu.
Uh Oh. Michan, time to train those chewing muscles.

related:
33abic4.jpg

Delio

Hmm i wonder how good Kamen Rider's Performance is agiasnt the other ones on the PS2. Looks pretty good considering the sell through.

duckroll

Blood of Bahamut is going to be a stinker. You can just tell when no one anywhere gives a shit about it even though they've been doing Jump articles and trailer updates on the official site every other week. :lol

NomarTyme

duckroll said:
Blood of Bahamut is going to be a stinker. You can just tell when no one anywhere gives a shit about it even though they've been doing Jump articles and trailer updates on the official site every other week. :lol
I remember the hype. Awesome tittle though.

jj984jj

duckroll said:
And the same thing is going to happen to Summon Night X sadly, I think it looks like a better game despite Blood of Bahamut having the better art direction but people are paying even less attention to it.

EDarkness

LINK.AGE76 said:
And I predicted more than 100k first week D:

This one is going on clearance next week :lol

Maybe the DS RPG market is too crowded right now. It didn't seem that interesting to me so I haven't been paying attention to it. Too many other games to play and worry about.

CTLance

duckroll said:
Sigh. And I was so interested in it, too.

What are the chances that it's just another sleeper hit that nobody cares about until a couple of years later? I still want to believe. :(

But yeah, price collapse imminent.

EDarkness said:
Maybe the DS RPG market is too crowded right now. It didn't seem that interesting to me so I haven't been paying attention to it. Too many other games to play and worry about.

People are busy playing DQ9 and MH3 to care :lol

I think they should of pushed this game for a September release.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
And the same thing is going to happen to Summon Night X sadly, I think it looks like a better game despite Blood of Bahamut having the better art direction but people are paying even less attention to it.

You know, I don't even know what Summon Night X is. That should be telling... :p

jj984jj said:

I thought the game came out, guess not.

jj984jj

duckroll said:
You know, I don't even know what Summon Night X is. That should be telling... :p
LINK.AGE76 said:
I thought the game came out, guess not.
Oh Bandai-Namco. :lol

It's a traditional turn-based RPG from Flight-Plan and Think & Feel:
http://www.summonnight.net/snworld/snx/
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-debut-summon-night/53846

I have the feeling it'll be another game with overpowered characters, but it's still more interesting to me than the mission-based multi-player boss rush RPG.

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Well I brought it up because it's their other game. :p

I even forgot they were working on Blood of Bahamut. I only think of BoB as "that Toriyama directed game with cool art that I have no interest in ever playing" but now that you mention it, I guess it makes sense why I'm not interested!

So would BoB sold better if it was on PSP? Or same results?

Edit: since it's Multiplayer, also maybe the advantage of looking better.

duckroll

Would it still be a shitty looking action game where you run around on narrow platforms in tiny mission based maps? If yes, then I think it would do even worse!

Top Bottom