• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 13-19, 2009

deleted

Crazy to see Inazuma Eleven back in the Top30. Who would have thought...

Cosmonaut X said:
I really am beginning to wonder whether Nintendo - or one of the other players - is giving serious thought to a home/handheld hybrid for the next gen.

Think of some kind of Docking Station to charge your handheld and scale the graphics up a little (from PSP level to 720p version of PS2 Games maybe?). You could also let the station read the discs and then put a downscaled version of the game to the handheld. Only problem would be the interface.

Rock_Man

Famitsu numbers for the week ending July 12 are up. Total DS software shares for the week were 88.8%. That's the first time it exceeds 80% actually. Looking at DS and PSP only, DS shares were 96,2% which is the second highest ever. It was 96,4% on the week of Pokemon Platinum release last year.

famitsu-dspsp-090712.png

donny2112

Chris1964 said:
When a game hits one million becomes non game. This comes from the golden years of ds when all those training nintendo games became million sellers.

Are you a longtime lurker? You seem to have hit the ground running here. :lol

To give a bit more background, the knock against the DS was that only non-games could sell a million on the system. It used to be only Nintendo, but then Tamagotchi joined the club. It's since become a running meme that whenever a piece of software crosses 1 million on a Nintendo platform that it means it must really be a "non-game" (and thus shouldn't "count") even if it was a "game" before.

On an unrelated note, I will be unable to post the weekly thread next Wednesday and probably the following week (Monster Hunter 3's release week). Any volunteers? :)

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
On an unrelated note, I will be unable to post the weekly thread next Wednesday and probably the following week (Monster Hunter 3's release week). Any volunteers? :)

Tenbatsu

faridmon

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
· Takara-Tomy Hitman titles:
June 2007: "Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Mukuro Kyoushuu" - 11k
September 2007: "Katekyoo Hitman Reborn!! DS Flame Rumble Kaien Ring Soudatsuen!" - 15k
July 2008: "Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Hyper - Moeyo Mirai" - 18k
July 2009: "Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Mirai Chou-Bakuhatsu!!" - 16k

I like the consistency of the Hitman Reborn titles, the aimed demography is clearly here, and the company must have a particular financial goal from it. Also since the assisets are there for every sequel there will be more profit for Takara-Tomy. Too bad they messed it up with Naruto Wii games.

are those games any good? i would love to try them since i kind like the series.

Vinci

Danish
schuelma said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

That would be quite fitting I think.

Um, no. He's going to be consumed by MH3; he won't have any interest in talking about it. Hell, I'd be shocked if we ever see him again beyond his efforts to find people to play the game with.

test_account

XP-39C²
Chris1964 said:
It's number 47
47. [DS] Style Savvy (Nintendo)
I use the u.s. name of it
Ah ok, cool, i didnt know the US name for Wagamama :) I guess that the game is still selling, but probably not too much on a weekly basis. Maybe it can reach 1 million copies sold some time =)

Chris1964 said:
When a game hits one million becomes non game. This comes from the golden years of ds when all those training nintendo games became million sellers.
Meier said:
I'm surprised that someone in a sales thread who has been around for awhile doesn't know the joke. If a game reaches platinum on a Nintendo system, it's automatically referred to as a non-game in the vein of Wii Fit or Brain Training (what spurred it).
I quote 2 quotes here since my reply is basicly the same to both quotes.
Ye, i know that "non game" is used when a game sells like at least 1 million copies or so, but why are other games besides Brain Training and Wii Fit etc. that sells at least 1 million copies sometimes being refferd to as a "non game"? Is it just a joke to say "non game" instead of saying "a million seller game"? :)

EDIT: I just saw donny2112's post:

donny2112 said:
Are you a longtime lurker? You seem to have hit the ground running here. :lol

To give a bit more background, the knock against the DS was that only non-games could sell a million on the system. It used to be only Nintendo, but then Tamagotchi joined the club. It's since become a running meme that whenever a piece of software crosses 1 million on a Nintendo platform that it means it must really be a "non-game" (and thus shouldn't "count") even if it was a "game" before.

Ah ok, i see. I thought maybe that there were some special status that was called "non game", so i just wondered what it ment. But i now see that saying "non game" to basicly every game that sells at least 1 million copies on a Nintendo system is more of a joke/meme :)

Thanks for the answers everyone! :)

Vinci

Danish
test_account said:
Ye, i know that "non game" is used when a game hits X number of copies sold, but why are other games besides Brain Training and Wii Fit etc. that sells at least 1 million copies sometimes being refferd to as a "non game"? Is it just a joke to say "non game" instead of saying "a million seller game"? :)

If it's on a MS or Sony system, it's a 'blockbuster;' when it's on the Wii, it's a 'non-game.' The DS, by virtue of its divinity, has escaped from either ruling; a successful game on it simply 'is.'

Osuwari

shaft said:
They will never die!

not untill DS2

i doubt it a little bit. 2 of them have Wii sequels and they're still there and the other one will get a wii sequel soon. a new system won't kill them if even these sequels couldn't do it.

maybe if they get DSi or DS2 sequels we'll see them die for reals but even DP are back despite platinum being there.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
donny2112 said:
Are you a longtime lurker? You seem to have hit the ground running here. :lol:)

Yeah, I watch media create gaf threads and track japanese sales since late 2005, but just recently I decided to register.

donny2112 said:

I can't start a new thread and when the data comes out it's deep night here in Europe. If the problem is the translation I'll do it here when I log in and someone can use it to start a new thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
If it's on a MS or Sony system, it's a 'blockbuster;' when it's on the Wii, it's a 'non-game.' The DS, by virtue of its divinity, has escaped from either ruling; a successful game on it simply 'is.'
Ye, i just saw donny2112's post after i asked that question :) I wasnt sure if "non game" was some real status or more of a joke/meme, but i know i know that it is more of a joke/meme :) Thanks for the answer! :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Dra-Q said:
When can we expect Monster Hunter Portable 3 for PSP? Next year?

If I had to make a random guess, I would say it is announced before the end of the year and comes out in the Spring. Then the inevitable MH Tri G comes to Wii next Fall, and so on and so on.

Vinci

Danish
schuelma said:
If I had to make a random guess, I would say it is announced before the end of the year and comes out in the Spring.

Sounds like a 3rd party decision. Fuck the potential worldwide sales of the game by announcing its port before it even hits all markets.

Dra-Q

Banned
Vinci said:
Sounds like a 3rd party decision. Fuck the potential worldwide sales of the game by announcing its port before it even hits all markets.

Maybe the PSP will get Portable 3G from the get go?

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
I am not sure how much this will affect the sales of MH3 for the Wii, but maybe it will affect the sales of the Wii version alittle? Maybe you already know this, but the next Monster Hunter game for the PSP has kind of been unofficially announced by the way. Someone posted a link to it earlier here on NeoGAF, but unfortunately i dont remember the link :\ All i remember was that it was an article about it on IGN.com.

EDIT: I found the article after searching on IGN.com:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/957/957033p1.html

Vinci

Danish
test_account said:
I am not sure how much this will affect the sales of MH3 for the Wii, but maybe it will affect the sales of the Wii version alittle? Maybe you already know this, but the next Monster Hunter game for the PSP has kind of been unofficially announced by the way. Someone posted a link to it earlier here on NeoGAF, but unfortunately i dont remember the link :\ All i remember was that it was an article about it on IGN.com.

EDIT: I found the article after searching on IGN.com:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/957/957033p1.html

It's an issue if it's getting 3. Getting another MH game? Whatever, that's obvious - the series isn't going to permanently move away from the PSP. But announcing a port of 3? Before the game hits worldwide on the Wii? That would be beyond stupid.

Dra-Q

Banned
Vinci said:
It's an issue if it's getting 3. Getting another MH game? Whatever, that's obvious - the series isn't going to permanently move away from the PSP. But announcing a port of 3? Before the game hits worldwide on the Wii? That would be beyond stupid.

Even Monster Hunter Freedom Unite didn't set the charts on fire in the US (doin pretty good in the EU though). I guess capcom doesn't care for any hype in the west for MH3. The money is made in japan and on the PSP. I would expect an announcement of Portable 3 in early 2010.

schuelma said:
If I had to make a random guess, I would say it is announced before the end of the year and comes out in the Spring. Then the inevitable MH Tri G comes to Wii next Fall, and so on and so on.

Well, if Nintendo handled it well I'd imagine they've secured some reasonable window of exclusivity - or even full exclusivity - and offered incentives for Capcom (joint advertising etc.) to do so.

If Capcom have been canny, they'll have gotten some kind of agreement from Nintendo that lets them break exclusivity if a certain condition isn't met (units sold by a certain date, for example).

I'm sure Capcom will bring a new MH to PSP, but what is perhaps most important for Nintendo is when this happens, and what the new MH actually is. I can't imagine them being so short-sighted as to have agreed to a very limited window of exclusivity before Capcom announce MH Tri Portable.

I guess capcom doesn't care for any hype in the west for MH3. The money is made in japan and on the PSP. I would expect an announcement of Portable 3 in early 2010.

The money is currently in Japan and on the PSP. Capcom have not abandoned the series in the West (witness the push with MHF Unite in the West, and particularly its relative success in Europe) and their next best chance to break through with the series here is MH Tri. I doubt they're complacent enough to abandon that chance, especially given how canny they've been so far this gen.

cvxfreak

I can see Capcom mitigating the "damage" done to Nintendo by announcing a Monster Hunter 3 G for Wii which will contain all of the PSP version's content.

schuelma

Cosmonaut X said:
Well, if Nintendo handled it well I'd imagine they've secured some reasonable window of exclusivity - or even full exclusivity - and offered incentives for Capcom (joint advertising etc.) to do so.

If Capcom have been canny, they'll have gotten some kind of agreement from Nintendo that lets them break exclusivity if a certain condition isn't met (units sold by a certain date, for example).

I'm sure Capcom will bring a new MH to PSP, but what is perhaps most important for Nintendo is when this happens, and what the new MH actually is. I can't imagine them being so short-sighted as to have agreed to a very limited window of exclusivity before Capcom announce MH3 Portable.

Good points everyone. I was making two assumptions- 1, Nintendo primarily cares about the Japanese market and 2- It was already unofficially confirmed earlier in the year which makes me think its coming relatively soon.

schuelma said:
Good points everyone. I was making two assumptions- 1, Nintendo primarily cares about the Japanese market and 2- It was already unofficially confirmed earlier in the year which makes me think its coming relatively soon.
Why would Capcom assume the game is going to sell > 1,000,000 units if they confirmed its coming to PSP? It never will in that case.

test_account

XP-39C²
Vinci said:
Ye, that is true as you say. In the IGN article also mentions that it is not sure that the next Monster Hunter game for the PSP will be called "3rd". I guess that this could mean that it is not sure that the next MH game for the PSP will be a port of Monster Hunter 3. But porting MH3 over to the PSP would probably be the most cost efficiant, as it probably cost less to port a game instead of making a brand new game instead.

Capcom said that they made MH3 for the Wii instead of the PS3 because it was cheaper to develope for the Wii. I wonder if they also chose to develope for the Wii because it might be easier to port the game over to the PSP. I assume that it would be easier to port MH3 from the Wii to the PSP because that the Wii graphics is closer to the PSP graphics compared to the PS3 graphics.

EDIT: And as Dra-Q mentioned above here, maybe Capcom doesnt care too much about the Monster Hunter sales outside of Japan, so maybe it doesnt matter too much for Capcom if they announce within 2009 a port of MH3 from the Wii to the PSP.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales (sinobi)

[PS3] Katamari Damacy Tribute - 19,000
[NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Mirai Chou-Bakuhatsu!! - 16,000

[NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Tenkuu no Senshi - 14,000 to 20,000
[NDS] Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji - 14,000 to 20,000

[WII] Dragon Ball: Tenkaichi Daibouken - 5,800
[WII] Punch-Out!! - 3,400
[PS3] Toro to Morimori - 2,800

Some first day comparisons from sinobi too

· Katamari Damacy titles:
July 2005: PS2 "Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy" - 39k
December 2005: PSP "Me and My Katamari" - 12k
October 2007: Xbox360 "Beautiful Katamari Damacy," - 9,6k
July 2009: PS3 "Katamari Damacy Tribute" - 19k

· Takara-Tomy Hitman titles:
June 2007: "Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Mukuro Kyoushuu" - 11k
September 2007: "Katekyoo Hitman Reborn!! DS Flame Rumble Kaien Ring Soudatsuen!" - 15k
July 2008: "Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble Hyper - Moeyo Mirai" - 18k
July 2009: "Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Mirai Chou-Bakuhatsu!!" - 16k

I knew the sales of DBWii will get affected by the Famitsu review, but its really low. I expected at least 15k day one. Is this the lowest first day sales for a DB/Z game ever?

Edit:

As for MH3, I think it will be ported for PSP for sure, but I think it will stay exclusive for the Wii for 6 to 9 months at least.

test_account

XP-39C²
vicissitudes said:
There's no need for an announcement. We ALL know it's coming.
Ye, the PSP will get a new Monster Hunter game indeed as you say, but we dont know for sure if it will be a port of Monster Hunter 3 for the Wii. And an announcment might also tell when the next Monster Hunter game for the PSP will be released, or at least when they plan to release the next Monster Hunter game for the PSP :)

schuelma

TheKingsCrown said:
Why would Capcom assume the game is going to sell > 1,000,000 units if they confirmed its coming to PSP? It never will in that case.

Because Capcom thinks it can sell that much before any announcement is made?

schuelma said:
Because Capcom thinks it can sell that much before any announcement is made?
But didn't we see with RE4, that if a userbase gets even a whiff that a game is coming on a competing platform, that it can affect the sales of the game significantly on the first if they prefer the second platform?

Its obvious a portable platform is preferred in Japan.

Dra-Q

Banned
LINK.AGE76 said:
As for MH3, I think it will be ported for PSP for sure, but I think it will stay exclusive for the Wii for 6 to 9 months at least.

August + 6 months = February 2010 announcement of Portable 3.

Dra-Q said:
August + 6 months = February 2010 announcement of Portable 3.

I really think this will be the case. By that time the sales of MH3 will drop significantly if not before, the expectations will probably be met by that time. An announcement for MHP3 will spur interest among the handheld players and it will eventually outsell the Wii version.

Capcom said there will be a new one on PSP, it's either a port which I think it is or a new version spinoff type.

Cosmonaut X said:
I'm sure Capcom will bring a new MH to PSP, but what is perhaps most important for Nintendo is when this happens, and what the new MH actually is. I can't imagine them being so short-sighted as to have agreed to a very limited window of exclusivity before Capcom announce MH Tri Portable.
Well, remember, Monster Hunter 3 was moved to Wii in late 2007, when the biggest game of the series was still MHP2 at under 1.5 million. Not that that's not a big amount, but whatever exclusivity deals were or weren't made, I bet both sides wish they'd went for something a little different with the knowledge of what MHP2 continued to do and what MHP2G has done since.
TheKingsCrown said:
But didn't we see with RE4, that if a userbase gets even a whiff that a game is coming on a competing platform, that it can affect the sales of the game significantly on the first if they prefer the second platform?
RE4 didn't get a whiff--it got a full PS2 announcement prior to GCN release.

Vinci

Danish
For all the talk of Nintendo moneyhatting MH3, you guys think they would have coughed up the money if they didn't have the game for themselves for more than 6 months? That doesn't sound like them. They must've learned something from what happened last gen regarding moneyhats that don't last.

Busaiku

LINK.AGE76 said:
I knew the sales of DBWii will get affected by the Famitsu review, but its really low. I expected at least 15k day one. Is this the lowest first day sales for a DB/Z game ever?.
There's Dragonball Evolution.
That debuted with 1.2k.

Spiegel

Vinci said:
For all the talk of Nintendo moneyhatting MH3, you guys think they would have coughed up the money if they didn't have the game for themselves for more than 6 months? That doesn't sound like them. They must've learned something from what happened last gen regarding moneyhats that don't last.

Then, Capcom will make Monster Hunter 4 for psp.
At least that move will make sense.

MH audience is on the psp, it doesn't make sense to make them wait for a late port with extras.

I have never seen something like this before. The console where a franchise has insane sales having to wait for a late port with extras.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Spiegel said:

MH audience is on the psp, it doesn't make sense to make them wait for a late port with extras.

I have never seen something like this before with any big franchise. The console where a franchise has insane sales having to wait for a late port with extras.
Sure it makes sense to make them wait - the rabid fans will buy it twice, the regular fans who are only interested in the portable version will still buy the portable version when it releases, and a bunch of Wii owners will buy it to see what it is like.

markatisu

Spiegel said:

I have never seen something like this before. The console where a franchise has insane sales having to wait for a late port with extras.

Makes perfect sense, MH portable fans will buy the game whether its 2009 or 2012. Hell they are still milking the old ass MH release in the Top 10 every month. Why release a new one when everyone is still buying the old?

Meanwhile they can get possibly those fans and others who might not like playing portable (they do exist) and expand the fan base and ultimately increase sales of whatever future portable edition (when the new fans say "hey I should try it out here as well"

Will Wii Sports Resort cross a million?
I'm pretty sure so, but I'm having the weird feeling it's not going to have the legs the previous Wii games had... even though it seems the best one out of the bunch.

Spiegel

So any developer must release their bigger franchises on unproven consoles (or consoles with a lesser sales potential) and then, months/a year later release those games on the console where those franchises sells the most.

Am I right?

Square Enix should release DQX on PSP first then.

test_account

XP-39C²
NintendosBooger said:
LOL @ Sony fans hoping and praying that DQ doesn't perform as good or better on another system.
Did anyone say this in this Media Create thread? I know there were some talk/discussion in the last week's Media Create thread (i think, or maybe it was the Media Create thread 2 weeks ago?) that maybe DQ IX could have sold just as good (or almost just as good) on the PSP than what DQ IX sold and will sell on the DS, but i didnt understand this saying/discussion as anything negative against the preformance of DQ IX on the DS, or anything negative against the DS itself. Or do you mean Dragon Quest X for the Wii?

Sohter.Nura said:
Will Wii Sports Resort cross a million?
I'm pretty sure so, but I'm having the weird feeling it's not going to have the legs the previous Wii games had... even though it seems the best one out of the bunch.
Ye, i am pretty sure that Wii Sports Resort will sell at least a million copies in Japan. At least i would be very surprised if Wii Sports Resort doesnt sell at least a million copies in Japan. I have no idea if Wii Sports Resort will match the sales preformance and legs of Wii Sports though, but Wii Sports Resort have sold pretty well on a weekly basis so far at least. I think it shall be interesting to see how long legs Wii Sports Resort will have :)

Top Bottom