• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 13-19, 2009

donny2112

Spiegel said:
So any developer must release their bigger franchises on unproven consoles (or consoles with a lesser sales potential) and then, months/a year later release those games on the console where those franchises sells the most.

Am I right?

So you're expecting an eventual PS1 port of FFXIII.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:

PS1 is not a viable platform and has lesser sales potential than any actual console so no, I'm not expecting that.

You know what I meant

d+pad

Spiegel said:
So any developer must release their bigger franchises on unproven consoles (or consoles with a lesser sales potential) and then, months/a year later release those games on the console where those franchises sells the most.

Am I right?

Square Enix should release DQX on PSP first then.

Do you think the PSP release will sell less because it's coming out 6-12 months after the Wii version? If not, there's your answer. Capcom likely knows PSP users will pick up their version in droves regardless, so why not release it on the Wii (or whatever console) first and get another million+ sales along with it?

As to why they release it on a console and then the PSP, which inarguably is where the game is most popular? Well, Capcom must believe that gamers would buy less copies overall if that happened - probably because they believe eager PSP gamers are responsible for picking up the console versions. (I.e., if they released the game on PSP and then PS2 or Wii, fans would buy the PSP version in droves as they always do but ignore or barely buy the console version.)

Just my two cents :D

Its funny that if MH success was on the DS and MH3 was coming to PS3, you would hear exactly the opposite you hear now in these threads.

But hey, its on the Wii, so turn on the victimism and complot theories because bad 3rd party will announce a PSP port later on that will hurt precious MH Wii sales overseas. Amazing stuff honestly, keep it coming.

Cipherr

Vinci said:
If it's on a MS or Sony system, it's a 'blockbuster;' when it's on the Wii, it's a 'non-game.' The DS, by virtue of its divinity, has escaped from either ruling; a successful game on it simply 'is.'

I am in tears, :lol :lol :lol hilarious.

Japan doesn't like good games confirmed. Only 3,400 for Punch-Out in its first day >_>;

I'm off to play Little King's Story...another game that Japan will probably ignore. I guess it's all about the handhelds, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy over there >_>;

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Its funny that if MH success was on the DS and MH3 was coming to PS3, you would hear exactly the opposite you hear now in these threads.

But hey, its on the Wii, so turn on the victimism and complot theories because bad 3rd party will announce a PSP port later on that will hurt precious MH Wii sales overseas. Amazing stuff honestly, keep it coming.

Uh, how would MH3 on PS3 be of any use in developing a future DS version?

donny2112

Famitsu July 6-12

01./00. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) - 2,343,440 / NEW
02./01. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 92,894 / 599,915 (-39%)
03./04. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) - 52,698 / 274,132 (+3%)
04./03. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (My Summer Vacation 4): Youth Detective Group in Seto - Me and the Secret Map (SCEI) - 22,053 / 78,911 (-61%)
05./02. [PSP] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (SEGA) - 15,374 / 116,860 (-85%)
06./06. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom) - 12,218 / 819,076 (-1%)
07./09. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 10,074 / 3,453,821 (-5%)
08./05. [NDS] Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Square Enix) - 8,082 / 484,703 (-43%)
09./10. [NDS] Sloane and MacHale's Mysterious Story (Level 5) - 6,672 / 156,091 (-32%)
10./11. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 6,596 / 2,441,158 (-5%)

11./07. [PSP] Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono. 2 (Sword & Magic & School 2) (Acquire) - 6,530 / 64,051 (-47%)
12./15. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 5,389 / 1,759,322 (+4%)
13./08. [PS3] Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland (Gust) - 4,582 / 63,233 (-59%)
14./17. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 4,498 / 2,280,157 (-8%)
15./27. [NDS] Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 4,202 / 5,685,688 (+19%)
16./13. [NDS] Infinite Space (SEGA) - 3,865 / 58,720 (-40%)
17./19. [NDS] Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo) - 3,862 / 656,170 (-13%)
18./22. [NDS] Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) - 3,831 / 5,029,868 (-10%)
19./12. [PS3] BlazBlue (Arc System Works) - 3,766 / 46,188 (-45%)
20./16. [NDS] Gyakuten Kenji (Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth) (Capcom) - 3,694 / 276,541 (-29%)
21./20. [NDS] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (Nintendo/Pokemon Co.) - 3,665 / 365,345 (-17%)
22./29. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) - 3,587 / 3,464,339 (+4%)
23./14. [PSP] Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance (Marvelous) - 3,253 / 23,079 (-48%)
24./24. [WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Namco Bandai Games) - 3,180 / 584,908 (-23%)
25./25. [NDS] Kirby Super Star Ultra Deluxe (Nintendo) - 3,149 / 1,123,256 (-14%)
26./00. [PSP] Sekai wa Atashi de Mawatteru (My World, My Way): Princess of Darkness and Light (Global A) - 3,009 / NEW
27./00. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) - 2,947 / 5,513,926
28./00. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) - 2,856 / 365,674
29./18. [NDS] Akira Tago's Mind Exercises (Atama no Taisou) Vol. 1: Puzzle Solving Journey Around the World (Level 5) - 2,781 / 24,785 (-43%)
30./30. [NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu 20th Anniversary (Hudson) - 2,735 / 292,901 (-16%)

*. [PS3] WWE Legends of Wrestlemania (THQ) - 2,200 / NEW
*. [PSP] Major League Baseball 2K9 (Spike) - 980 / NEW
*. [NDS] Hayari Gami DS 2: Toshidensetsu Kaii Jiken (Chilling Urban Legends) (Nippon Ichi Software) - 830 / NEW
*. [PS3] Major League Baseball 2K9 (Spike) - 770 / NEW

Bar Chart July 6-12 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-07-06

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.

Recent Famitsu Top 30s

June 8-14, 2009
June 15-21, 2009
June 22-28, 2009
June 29-July 5, 2009

justchris

shaft said:
They will never die!

not untill DS2

I expect DS2 to be fully backwards compatible with the DS, so they'll still probably be the top sellers for a while.

Dra-Q said:
When can we expect Monster Hunter Portable 3 for PSP? Next year?
schuelma said:
If I had to make a random guess, I would say it is announced before the end of the year and comes out in the Spring. Then the inevitable MH Tri G comes to Wii next Fall, and so on and so on.

I expect the announcement to be early next year, and for them to go for an early to mid-spring release.

Also, I don't really see MH3 Wii selling a million. I think it'll fall more in the 750k-850k range.

donny2112

I think Spiegel just wants them to announce the PSP version before the Wii version comes out to undercut the sales of the game on a console that he considers a competitor of the PSP.
Hint: It's not, and that's why Capcom made a Wii version. Capcom still wants the series to be for consoles despite Japan being a handheld nation. See: Pretty much every major Capcom property.

On that note, since MH3 is not using the RE4 engine which means that Capcom has another competent Wii engine, does that mean that MH3's development could lead to further big Capcom games coming to the Wii?

Edit:
As a side note, these past two weeks are the first time the DS has outsold the PSP by 4:1 or more since before the PSPSlim came out in September 2007.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
shaft said:
They will never die!

not untill DS2
You're forgetting the possibility of New Play Control versions.

Assuming the DS2 has some form of new interface as well that is.

jakncoke

Banned
donny2112 said:
No release date for Japan mentioned on GameFAQs for any PS system.

tks for searching for my lazy ass much appreciated. I know I don't post regularly in the MC threads but am an avid lurker, keep up the good work :)

justchris

donny2112 said:
On that note, since MH3 is not using the RE4 engine which means that Capcom has another competent Wii engine, does that mean that MH3's development could lead to further big Capcom games coming to the Wii?
Linkup said:
More Capcom ports or nothing and you know it so I don't know why you bothered to ask.

These are not mutually exclusive comments. I think that with another capable engine to work with, we will definitely see more Capcom projects on Wii. I suspect a lot of those projects will be ports of HD projects, however. Hopefully day and date with the HD releases, but I'm not willing to bet on it.

Osuwari

Nirolak said:
You're forgetting the possibility of New Play Control versions.

Assuming the DS2 has some form of new interface as well that is.

nintendo only picked games that sold low or badly for NPC. no SSBM, MKDD, Zelda TWW or SMS in that lineup.

cvxfreak

I'd take NPC:SMS, too. I've been gradually trying to get rid of having to depend on the GameCube for certain games, and SMS is one of the last ones now that all the GC REs are on Wii.

bttb said:
First Day Figures + Sell-Through

Penguin - 21000 15%
Katamari Damacy - 19000 37%
Katekyoo - 16000 39%
Chibi-Robo - 14000 24%
Dragon Ball - 5800 10%
Punch-Out - 3400 16%
50Cent PS3 - 3000 32%
Toro to Morimori - 2800 17%
Narisokonai - 2700 18%
Koukou Yakyuu Dou - 2300 18%
Blazing - 2100 26%
Moyashimon LE - 2100 42%
Rosario to SE - 1500 38%
50Cent 360 - 1400 28%
Ranshima Monogatari - 1300 26%
Call of Juarez PS3 - 1300 18%
Moyashimon SE - 1200 19%
Rosario to LE - 940 36%
Call of Juarez 360 - 800 17%
PW SE - 680 14%
http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1248400195/520

DBwii Bombed so hard, Katamari not bad.

deleted

Maybe only Dragonball Z Games sell nowadays.

DBWii doesn´t look bad, the story hasn´t been touched in a while and its not the typical DB fighting game. There was enough reason to believe it would sell better on first day than it did.

Pretty low for Chibi-Robo.

Chibi-Robo! - 31,317 / 97,879
Chibi-Robo!: Park Patrol - 50,402 / 160,376

Since the new game is styled after the GC original, I guess it makes sense. But pretty much everyone I read prefers the original style, not Park Patrol's; I guess PP is more casual-friendly (?)

Also the Penguin game seems to start kinda low. Tried the first one for a couple hours and it was a good action-platformer. I would grab it for about 20 bucks if it was released in English.

ITA84

Allan Holdsworth said:
Also the Penguin game seems to start kinda low. Tried the first one for a couple hours and it was a good action-platformer. I would grab it for about 20 bucks if it was released in English.

To think that it sold way better than any Castlevania... Konami might be shifting priorities if the new one keeps it up. ^^

Definitely a good enough Metroidvania, but not worth the attention it gets.

gtj1092

Every week there some Western game released in japan with less than 1000 copies sold. What I don't get why is it so hard to go the other way with Japanese coming to America/Europe. I mean if its deemed worthy to release a game that will sell less than 2000 copies LTD. I don't get why we can't get games that will sell at least sell 10,000 copies and probably more.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
I think Spiegel just wants them to announce the PSP version before the Wii version comes out to undercut the sales of the game on a console that he considers a competitor of the PSP.
Hint: It's not, and that's why Capcom made a Wii version. Capcom still wants the series to be for consoles despite Japan being a handheld nation. See: Pretty much every major Capcom property.

I really don't care when the next MH for psp is annouced.
The point is that the majority of MH fans (who are on psp) shouldn't have to wait months to receive a port.

The main platform for MH games is the psp. If this was any other console with any other franchise, we would presume that that console would be getting the next installment of that franchise exclusively, or at least the game would be released the same day than any other version.

EDarkness said:
Did anyone expect Dragon Ball Wii to sell? That game has low budget shovelware written all over it.
Given the 58,000 first day shipment, yes, it looks like someone did expect somewhat bigger demand.

Allan Holdsworth said:
It did better than the first, 21k vs 15k, although it has a huge ass shipment equal to half the original LTD sales (140k of 280k).

Spiegel said:
The main platform for MH games is the psp. If this was any other console with any other franchise, we would be assuming that that console would be getting the next installment of that franchise exclusively, or at least the game would be released the same day than any other version.
I wonder how concerned would these threads be if Resident Evil ports on Wii sold way better than the original (say, 10 or 15 millions) and then Resident Evil 6 were a PSP game with a likely Wii port coming afterwards.

I'm sure they will be concerned about the Wii announcement killing the PSP RE sales overseas. Hah, sure.

dragct

Fun fact: if we go NPD-like (2009 week one is 2009.01.05. - 2009.01.11.), then PS3 managed to stay in front of Wii until this week, YTD of course.

jap_2009_28_02.jpg

Don't get scared, the language is hungarian. :)

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder how concerned would these threads be if Resident Evil ports on Wii sold way better than the original (say, 10 or 15 millions) and then Resident Evil 6 were a PSP game with a likely Wii port coming afterwards.

I'm sure they will be concerned about the Wii announcement killing the PSP RE sales overseas. Hah, sure.

This analogy is made up of so much fail, it's not even worthy of a smiley icon.

EDarkness

Moor-Angol said:
considering your words i assume you played it

Does it matter?

Given the 58,000 first day shipment, yes, it looks like someone did expect somewhat bigger demand.

Yeah. That baffles me. It's Dragonball, but it's a different take on the game and on the Wii. Maybe it'll pick up this weekend, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I have to admit I'm not seeing the big concern with the inevitable PSP Monster Hunter announcement as it relates to U.S sales. First off, is the market that Capcom USA is going to go after really going to care that another Monster Hunter game is coming to the PSP in another region (probably making it to other markets much much later) ? I'm skeptical. Second, the bottom line is still Japanese sales and the quicker Capcom gets the PSP port out, the quicker they can begin the cycle again and sell more on both systems.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Azelover said:
Sales are too high across the board. Gaming needs to end legitimately, not just financially.

Before all production of gaming software is stopped we need real public disinterest. Sure sales are lower compared to the last few years, but it's still floating a little high.

It will be important to have very little money being spent in gaming for a period, before it's ended. Otherwise, some people might look back and say "hey, some people still wanted to buy games", that must not happen.

:lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
About as much as the Monster Hunter one being spread here, but since that's on the Wii, it gets a free pass.

I'm just surprised at the people that seem to think Nintendo has any control over MH. MH is big enough that it doesnt give a fuck where it goes or fulfilling people expectations of timed exclusivity. This is Capcom, the "I could give a fuck about your sense of entitlement" company.

schuelma

HK-47 said:
I'm just surprised at the people that seem to think Nintendo has any control over MH. MH is big enough that it doesnt give a fuck where it goes or fulfilling people expectations of timed exclusivity. This is Capcom, the "I could give a fuck about your sense of entitlement" company.

I do think that Nintendo made some sort of exclusivity deal, but I really doubt it's very long and I really doubt it has any applicability to the U.S markets.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
The point is that the majority of MH fans (who are on psp) shouldn't have to wait months to receive a port.

The main platform for MH games is the psp. If this was any other console with any other franchise, we would presume that that console would be getting the next installment of that franchise exclusively, or at least the game would be released the same day than any other version.

I really think Capcom wants this to stay a console franchise. The only handheld successes they have (off the top of my head) are Mega Man (Mega Man 9 came to consoles), Ace Attorney (always been on handhelds), and Monster Hunter (~ports of the console games outside of MHP2G, and obviously, the next installment will debut on a console). There's also the fact that MH3 was announced before MHP2G exploded, but even though, Capcom doesn't always make decisions based on where the userbase appears to be (see: RE not on Wii).

dragct said:
Fun fact: if we go NPD-like (2009 week one is 2009.01.05. - 2009.01.11.), then PS3 managed to stay in front of Wii until this week, YTD of course.

That's how I do the YTD on my graphs, too, but that's mainly to make it easier to directly compare with NPD.

Sohter.Nura said:
Will Wii Sports Resort cross a million?
I'm pretty sure so, but I'm having the weird feeling it's not going to have the legs the previous Wii games had... even though it seems the best one out of the bunch.
If I were a betting man, I would bet so much on Wii Sports Resort crossing a million.

Doing a very loose trajectory match, I looked for games that were +/- 50K of Wii Sports Resort's LTD after week 1 and week 3. Only got 2 results: PS2 Winning Eleven 6 (Final 1.1 million), and Animal Crossing: Wild World (5.0 million and growing).

donny2112 said:
A PS1 port of Dragon Quest IX would be pretty funny, though. It would then be playable on PS2, PS3, and PSP.
Osuwari said:
nintendo only picked games that sold low or badly for NPC. no SSBM, MKDD, Zelda TWW or SMS in that lineup.
That's got to be taken pretty relatively. Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 are the 10th/11th best-selling GCN titles in Japan, at about a half million each.

EDarkness said:
Does it matter?

after you try you won't say it's showelware, especially if you liked Dragon Ball Advance Adventure.

of course if you like 2D or 2,5D games

anyway, hope these low sales will make a quick price drop, i'll be in Japan in 15 days :D

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Capcom doesn't always make decisions based on where the userbase appears to be (see: RE not on Wii).

Differences:
- The Resident Evil userbase is not on Wii, only a smaller part of it is there. The RE4 port sold ~1/3 of the original game
- Psp has created the majority of the MH userbase. The MH2 port with extras + the expansion have sold 7x of what the original game has sold until now.

(~ports of the console games outside of MHP2G, and obviously, the next installment will debut on a console)

Obviously? Why?

We aren't in 2005, handhelds now get main installments of major franchises and rule the japanese market.
For whatever reason Capcom only releases late ports of MH games on psp, okay, but saying that this situation is the obvious thing to do is laughable.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Obviously? Why?

We aren't in 2005, handhelds now get main installments of major franchises and rule the japanese market.
For whatever reason Capcom only releases late ports of MH games on psp, okay, but saying that this situation is the obvious thing to do is laughable.

I agree that from a PSP owners perspective it makes little sense. Business wise, I think the console>portable with extras, rinse and repeat cycle probably makes Capcom the most money. If it were the reverse, I don't think you would get anywhere near the console sales you will get.

And I really think the portable version will be out a lot sooner than people think. Like Spring 2010.

MotherFan

donny2112 said:
I really think Capcom wants this to stay a console franchise. The only handheld successes they have (off the top of my head) are Mega Man (Mega Man 9 came to consoles), Ace Attorney (always been on handhelds), and Monster Hunter (~ports of the console games outside of MHP2G, and obviously, the next installment will debut on a console). There's also the fact that MH3 was announced before MHP2G exploded, but even though, Capcom doesn't always make decisions based on where the userbase appears to be (see: RE not on Wii).

I think this is the truth of it. Capcom is kinda of in an odd place. You have the MHP that took off way after development of the console version started and you don't want to now cannabalize sales of it. If it took off much earlier, you prolly could have canned the wii version and just done psp. As is now, you need the console version to do good and then prolly want a portable version to do good. So, it really makes sense to not announce the psp version until the console one is out.

If I were in charge of it, I would have the wii one release (especially with that bundle), announce and release the psp one and then depending on how it sells decide what to do with the next numbered version (prolly keep it just handheld). But, capcom makes some odd decisions, so who knows.

About as much as the Monster Hunter one being spread here, but since that's on the Wii, it gets a free pass.

No, yours is just really stupid. Capcom was already committed, so they want it to do the best it can. And if you think the wii gets a free pass on this forum :lol
Its like you are a Junior but not!

Jesus people, capcom is already commited to the console one. That's why they don't want to have the psp version at the same time. Plus, they expect a ton of double dipping.

Jokeropia

donny2112 said:
Bar Chart July 6-12 (thanks to JoshuaJSlone/garaph.info)

2009-07-06

Note: Image may be delayed from the time of this post, but will automatically show once the data is ready.
I was waiting for that one. Awesome. :D

MotherFan said:
No, yours is just really stupid. Capcom was already committed, so they want it to do the best it can. And if you think the wii gets a free pass on this forum :lol
Its like you are a Junior but not!
Have you read how this started? Because your answer shows zero follow up on the discussion, picking up at wherever you like hitting the bushes for nothing.

Or are you another one in the 'oh bad 3rd party is mean to Nintendo and will hurt precious Wii MH3 overseas sales by announcing late PSP port for next year'? Get the fuck out with the victimism, really, Wii is getting with MH3 a helluva effort, and its PSP getting the short end of the stick, undeservedly for what it has done to MH.

Top Bottom