• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 13-19, 2009

ccbfan

I don't think anyone is arguing that the Capcom should have the PSP one come out or announced before the Wii one.

I mean Wtf the game's coming out in August.

I think what the 3 PSP fans (there's usually only me and two other guys in media create topic that defends the PSP) gets annoyed is when people say stuff like.

"The PSP version should be announced 1 year later or else it'll hurt the Wii version."

or even worse

"The PSP shouldn't get MHP3 because it should have been a Nintendo exclusive"

I mean why should PSP fans be treated badly when its the PSP fans that made MH a top tier series that Wii fans can boast they have.

Also then you bring up these ridicules comparisons to the MH situation

Like RE on the Wii?

WTF, RE 5 already outsold every Wii RE combined. Sure RE 5 is a much bigger game than the GCN ports and the rail shooter but for this to be a valid MH comparison Those games would have to outsell over 4 times what RE 5 did or RE4.

Cause yes that how ridicules the MH situation is where the ports and port enchancements outsells the originals by over 4 times. The RE series going to the GCN would have been a much better comparison. At least the PS2 port outsold the original there and even then it would have been a terrible comparison.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Obviously? Why?

Since it's happening, I'd say it's pretty obvious. :p

Spiegel said:
We aren't in 2005, handhelds now get main installments of major franchises

Capcom, though? They seem to have a very definite console leaning in the company.

Spiegel said:
For whatever reason Capcom only releases late ports of MH games on psp, okay, but saying that this situation is the obvious thing to do is laughable.

I'm not saying it's the obvious thing to do. I'm saying it's obvious that the next main installment is debuting on a console, because it is debuting on a console.

Methinks you misunderstood what I meant by "obvious."
I thought it would've been obvious. :p

ccbfan said:
Like RE on the Wii?

So you believe that the logical response to Wii RE4 blowing through expectations would be to never bring another RE game in that style to the console again. Seems fair.

Spiegel said:
Differences:
- The Resident Evil userbase is not on Wii, only a smaller part of it is there. The RE4 port sold ~1/3 of the original game
A multiple years late port sold 1/3 as much as the original releases and you figure that the userbase isn't there? That's a hell of a lot of double-dipping. I think a hell of a lot of the RE userbase is there, but enough that own multiple consoles are willing to deal with the inferior control scheme of the PS360.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ccbfan said:
Not word for word quoting but read page 4 of this thread please.

I meant to quote another one of your statements: "The PSP shouldn't get MHP3 because it should have been a Nintendo exclusive"

Who has said that?

D.Lo

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Have you read how this started? Because your answer shows zero follow up on the discussion, picking up at wherever you like hitting the bushes for nothing.

Or are you another one in the 'oh bad 3rd party is mean to Nintendo and will hurt precious Wii MH3 overseas sales by announcing late PSP port for next year'? Get the fuck out with the victimism, really, Wii is getting with MH3 a helluva effort, and its PSP getting the short end of the stick, undeservedly for what it has done to MH.
Going a bit far in the other direction there :lol I wouldn't say the PSP helped MH, MH got popular, the latest ones were on PSP, and so fans bought PSPs. MH helped the PSP much more then the other way around.

MH is such a bizarre franchise to me. The PSP games are years late cut down ports of PS2 games, like a lot of year 1/2 PSP games. They had fairly awkward controls on PS2, and even more awkward controls on PSP due to having camera and movement both on the left hand. 2G is literally just an expansion of 2 (I played my friend's copy of unite recently and couldn't copy over my MHP2 character because it was a different region version (US and EU), only to find out that if you pay from the start it's exactly the same game, intro and all).

And yet somehow Capcom hit the jackpot, while most other PS2 ports died the cheap deaths they deserved. People will talk about it fitting the platform well, and while true, that could have been said about a lot of games at other times. This one just hit the right nerve at the right time for some reason.

In the end, Capcom just got super lucky. How else to explain how an expansion pack, of a cut down, years old port of a 500k selling game, managed to sell Dragon Quest numbers?

ccbfan

schuelma said:
I meant to quote another one of your statements: "The PSP shouldn't get MHP3 because it should have been a Nintendo exclusive"

Who has said that?

Same freaking page. About the money hatting and calling the PSP version something else.

Cipherr

ccbfan said:
I don't think anyone is arguing that the Capcom should have the PSP one come out or announced before the Wii one.

I mean Wtf the game's coming out in August.

I think what the 3 PSP fans (there's usually only me and two other guys in media create topic that defends the PSP) gets annoyed is when people say stuff like.

"The PSP version should be announced 1 year later or else it'll hurt the Wii version."

or even worse

"The PSP shouldn't get MHP3 because it should have been a Nintendo exclusive"

I mean why should PSP fans be treated badly when its the PSP fans that made MH a top tier series that Wii fans can boast they have.

Also then you bring up these ridicules comparisons to the MH situation

Like RE on the Wii?

WTF, RE 5 already outsold every Wii RE combined. Sure RE 5 is a much bigger game than the GCN ports and the rail shooter but for this to be a valid MH comparison Those games would have to outsell over 4 times what RE 5 did or RE4.

Cause yes that how ridicules the MH situation is where the ports and port enchancements outsells the originals by over 4 times. The RE series going to the GCN would have been a much better comparison. At least the PS2 port outsold the original there and even then it would have been a terrible comparison.

I think you should all STFU about an assumed port of a game that hasnt even fucking launched yet. Thats likely what the guy meant about "free pass". This shit is annoying and probably should be bannable. We dont need post after post after post about an imaginary port and when, or when it should be coming. The fucking game hasnt even released yet.

And what do you mean PSP owners are deserving? Dude please, dont start that shit, lest we get Nintendo fans pulling that "We made FF popular on the NES and SNES and now its not on a Nintendo console anymore" bullshit.

Theres no fucking entitlement, no matter what you buy or what console you bought it for. Its what the developer decides, you haven't earned shit. If they say youll wait 2 years for MH3p then you'll wait.

ccbfan

D.Lo said:
Going a bit far in the other direction there :lol I wouldn't say the PSP helped MH, MH got popular, the latest ones were on PSP, and so fans bought PSPs. MH helped the PSP much more then the other way around.

MH is such a bizarre franchise to me. The PSP games are years late cut down ports of PS2 games, like a lot of year 1/2 PSP games. They had fairly awkward controls on PS2, and even more awkward controls on PSP due to having camera and movement both on the left hand. 2G is literally just an expansion of 2 (I played my friend's copy of unite recently and couldn't copy over my MHP2 character because it was a different region version (US and EU), only to find out that if you pay from the start it's exactly the same game, intro and all).

And yet somehow Capcom hit the jackpot, while most other PS2 ports died the cheap deaths they deserved. People will talk about it fitting the platform well, and while true, that could have been said about a lot of games at other times. This one just hit the right nerve at the right time for some reason.

In the end, Capcom just got super lucky. How else to explain how an expansion pack, of a cut down, years old port of a 500k selling game, managed to sell Dragon Quest numbers?

So I guess you're expecting 3+ million for MH3 and anything less would be a failure. Since I mean the PSP didn't help the series at all. It just got lucky that they got the series when it became big.

Heck since according to you , sin the PSP sucks at selling software so much, MH3 should sell 5 million if MHP2G as game on the crappy PSP couls already sell 3 million.

schuelma

Why is everyone so angry over this?

I think the next couple of weeks are going to be ugly.

ccbfan

Puncture said:
And what do you mean PSP owners are deserving? Dude please, dont start that shit, lest we get Nintendo fans pulling that "We made FF popular on the NES and SNES and now its not on a Nintendo console anymore" bullshit.

You make too much of an assumption that the nes and snes fans moved to the n64 (seeing n64 sales I really doubt it) and weren't also the ones that made the FF popular on the PS.

This case we're talking a game on the actually system that made it popular and still viable because its part of the current gen.

D.Lo

ccbfan said:
So I guess you're expecting 3+ million for MH3 and anything less would be a failure. Since I mean the PSP didn't help the series at all. It just got lucky that they got the series when it became big.

Heck since according to you , sin the PSP sucks at selling software so much, MH3 should sell 5 million if MHP2G as game on the crappy PSP couls already sell 3 million.
I can't tell if this is serious or baiting.

ccbfan

schuelma said:

MH3 sales is going to be great/ugly in the thread no matter what the sales are.

There's 3 groups of sales expectations here.

1. For people with really low expectations or a source of pro Wii damage control. All it has to do beat is the PS2 versions.
2. For people that follow Japanese sale and are knowledgable about it expect like 1-2 million.
3. For people that don't follow Japanese sales and still think PSP can't sell software or trolling the Wii , they expect 3+ million since even the PSP port versions managed that.

Such differring opinions. Its gonna be great.

donny2112

schuelma said:

I'm not sure. If you care about the game and don't want to buy it on Wii, just wait for the "no question at all that it's coming" PSP version. If you're getting upset about its sales, don't. PSP MH3P should easily outsell Wii MH3 in Japan, if for no other reason than it is a portable that requires more copies to be purchased to play multi-player.

Maybe perceived slight from Capcom that it's not coming to the PSP first? Join the club. Capcom's been slighting Wii owners the entire generation, so far. :p

D.Lo said:
I can't tell if this is serious or baiting.

It's seriously baiting.

*rimshot*

ccbfan said:
1. For people with really low expectations or a source of pro Wii damage control. All it has to do beat is the PS2 versions.
2. For people that follow Japanese sale and are knowledgable about it expect like 1-2 million.

:lol

You are so full of crap.

Edit:
People who are knowledgeable about Japanese sales know that there is no guarantee of handheld success transferring over to consoles and vice-versa.
People who are knowledgeable of Japanese sales know that the PS2 versions topped out < 600K.
People who are knowledgeable of Japanese sales know that a port of MHG with a demo of MH3 only is barely around PS2 MHG's sales.
People who are knowledgeable of Japanese sales know that PS2 MH2 (BEST) did not see some kind of miraculous sales spike due to the MHP series popularity, and it came out after the MHP series success.

You are trying to pigeon-hole anyone not predicting > 1 million as Wii pre-damage control and ignorant of the Japanese market. For that, you are so full of crap.

schuelma said:

There also seems to be a group that wants to apply a chivalric standard to the console makers because money hats are unfair. :lol

Spiegel

bmf said:
A multiple years late port sold 1/3 as much as the original releases and you figure that the userbase isn't there? That's a hell of a lot of double-dipping. I think a hell of a lot of the RE userbase is there, but enough that own multiple consoles are willing to deal with the inferior control scheme of the PS360.

A budget priced port with the definitive control method being released on a time when the Wii didn't have any good action game sold good.

I mean, like I said the game sold pretty good but saying that the whole Resident Evil userbase is on the Wii or that this is something comparable to the Monster Hunter situation on psp is going a bit far.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
I mean, like I said the game sold pretty good but saying that the whole Resident Evil userbase is on the Wii or that this is something comparable to the Monster Hunter situation on psp is going a bit far.

1. RE not continuing on Wii is not the same situation as MH3/MH3P.
2. RE not continuing on Wii is another example of Capcom not always doing what makes sense to some of us.

Vinnk

This is nothing comparable with how Capcom treats the Wii.

You are right. The PSP at least will eventually get upgraded ports. The Wii is lucky if it gets a last gen game with new controls.

Oh, you edited that sentence out.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
1. RE not continuing on Wii is not the same situation as MH3/MH3P.
2. RE not continuing on Wii is another example of Capcom not always doing what makes sense to some of us.

Resident Evil didn't explode in popularity on Wii
Resident Evil 4 Wii didn't outsell Resident Evil 4 Ps2, 4 times.
Resident Evil didn't go from selling 700k to 3.5 million from being on the Wii

The Monster Hunter/Resident Evil comparison is one of the silliest I've ever read.

Resident Evil 4 Wii sold good for a port. And that's all.

Oh, you edited that sentence out.

Yeah, english is not my first language and after reading what I wrote I realized that I didn't want to imply that.

Jokeropia

Spiegel said:
Resident Evil 4 Wii sold good for a port. And that's all.
It more than tripled Capcom's expectations for the game. You're selling it way short with "pretty good" and "good for a port".

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Resident Evil didn't explode in popularity on Wii
Resident Evil 4 Wii didn't outsell Resident Evil 4 Ps2, 4 times.
Resident Evil didn't go from selling 700k to 3.5 million from being on the Wii

Thank you for expounding on my point.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I wonder how concerned would these threads be if Resident Evil ports on Wii sold way better than the original (say, 10 or 15 millions) and then Resident Evil 6 were a PSP game with a likely Wii port coming afterwards.

I'm sure they will be concerned about the Wii announcement killing the PSP RE sales overseas. Hah, sure.

Uhh, if the Wii managed to sell 10-15 million copies of years-old ports then that obviously means there are millions of die-hard RE fans on Wii, and so yes, announcing a Wii version WOULD probably undercut another platform's sales.

Obviously bitter people need to stop being so obviously bitter, lest they find themselves banned.

Oh and I'll be around for the next couple of weeks watching the MC threads.

kiruyama said:
Uhh, if the Wii managed to sell 10-15 million copies of years-old ports then that obviously means there are millions of die-hard RE fans on Wii, and so yes, announcing a Wii version WOULD probably undercut another platform's sales.
That's the point...would anyone whining that the other system who gets it first is getting the short end of the stick be anything else than a jackass? It'd be the Wii getting it, and in the case we actually at hand, its the PSP. So seeing such kind of whining is what gets me here, its totally uncalled for and out of place.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
The Monster Hunter/Resident Evil comparison is one of the silliest I've ever read.

Without getting into the specifics about how good of a comparison the two series are, I would argue that one main difference is that Capcom continued to build the Monster Hunter franchise on PSP- It's not like the userbase was at 3 million right away. By contrast, Capcom followed up RE4 with on rails shooters and direct gamecube ports. As far as trying to build the RE4-style base on Wii we have that wonderful port of Dead Rising, and that's it.

Cygnus X-1

The interesting thing about the release of Dragon Quest IX is actually the revitalising of the already enormous Nintendo DS LTD's sales. And that the game actually keep it over 100k. This means the the Dragon Quest's fanbase was not entirely already on board of the DS's train. I just wonder if it is still possible for the handheld to beat the original Gameboy in Japan. Sure, the economical downturn affect the entire industry and retarted the event, but how many systems till the cross?

Dra-Q

Banned
Every game from japan should only be on Handheld from now on. Srly, no one gives a fuck about consoles anymore.

zero_suit

Cygnus X-1 said:
I just wonder if it is still possible for the handheld to beat the original Gameboy in Japan. Sure, the economical downturn affect the entire industry and retarted the event, but how many systems till the cross?

That shouldn't be very hard since the DS is already at ~27 million LTD, and I believe the Gameboy is at ~30 million units.

Plus, with the holidays, the DS should make some major inroads.

Eteric Rice

How possible is it that the PSP gets a completely different MH, rather than an upgraded port?

I mean I'm not expecting it to happen, just curious as to what others think.

AniHawk

zero_suit said:
That shouldn't be very hard since the DS is already at ~27 million LTD, and I believe the Gameboy is at ~30 million units.

Plus, with the holidays, the DS should make some major inroads.

Hold on. Japan's best-selling system was the Game Boy?

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
That's the point...would anyone whining that the other system who gets it first is getting the short end of the stick be anything else than a jackass? It'd be the Wii getting it, and in the case we actually at hand, its the PSP. So seeing such kind of whining is what gets me here, its totally uncalled for and out of place.

So, clearly you carry a distaste for people with strong console allegiances. I gotcha.

It's just too bad I've never seen you take on someone with a Sony bias. You'd make a great asset against ccbfan.

gtj1092

cvxfreak said:
So, clearly you carry a distaste for people with strong console allegiances. I gotcha.

It's just too bad I've never seen you take on someone with a Sony bias. You'd make a great asset against ccbfan.

Well there aren't many that post in these threads regularly. Most have been run out of these threads by various means.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 240 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 193.9 weeks (November 15, 2003), where DS was at 102.9 weeks (November 18, 2006), and where GBA was at 162.1 weeks (April 26, 2004).

X360 comparisons: After 188 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 17.6 weeks (January 10, 2002), where PS3 was at 39.2 weeks (August 6, 2007), and where Wii was at 5.7 weeks (January 5, 2007).

PS3 comparisons: After 140 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 47.1 weeks (January 22, 2001), where PSP was at 69.8 weeks (April 8, 2006), where GCN was at 130.1 weeks (March 7, 2004), and where Wii was at 36.2 weeks (August 6, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 137 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 99.6 weeks (February 13, 2003), where DS was at 77.4 weeks (May 24, 2006), where PS2 was at 117.8 weeks (June 1, 2002), and where PSP was at 168.7 weeks (February 29, 2008).

DSi comparisons: After 37 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 50.6 weeks (January 29, 2004) and where DSL was at 18.3 weeks (July 4, 2006).

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 81.6 / 18.4 bring total shares to 68.3 / 31.7. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 603.9 weeks (February 14, 2021).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 24.6 / 75.4 bring total shares to 24.8 / 75.2. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 748.9 weeks (November 26, 2023).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 29.9 / 70.1 bring total shares to 28.4 / 71.6. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 555.8 weeks (March 14, 2020).

Week over week, DS is down about 20%, everything else down about 10%.
X360

Through the first twenty-nine weeks of the year, overall sales are down. However, the systems can be split into camps of 3 up and 3 down. Here's how the year-to-date year-over-year percents stand as of now.

Wii: -62.2%
DSL+DSi: +10.3%
PS2: -51.5%
PS3: +5.2%
PSP: -46.4%
X360: +183.6%

Home hardware: -39.4%
Portable hardware: -21.9%
Sum of all hardware: -29.0%

Last year:

This year:

Eteric Rice said:
How possible is it that the PSP gets a completely different MH, rather than an upgraded port?

I mean I'm not expecting it to happen, just curious as to what others think.
That sounds about as likely as a company foregoing a multiplatform X360/PS3 release in order to give each an exclusive in the franchise.

schuelma

gtj1092 said:
Well there aren't many that post in these threads regularly. Most have been run out of these threads by various means.

Does voluntarily leaving the thread in mid May count as being "run out"?

gerg

A quick question to all you sales-agers: back when I was just a lurker, I would often (and still do) take a look at the "Wii in terms of PS2" figures. I checked today, for example, and was surprised to see that it was "only" 20 weeks behind the PS2. Is this a big difference? Is the rate at which the Wii is falling behind slowing down? Is it all possible that the Wii can match the PS2 ever again?

Top Bottom