• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 13-19, 2009

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ShockingAlberto said:
Disney is equivalent to Disney in Japan.

Ghibli is popular, but nowhere near that popular or that big.

"Equivalent" implies a lot of things that aren't true in that comparison.

Then why are there no Disney movies in the top 10 grosses but 4 (I believe Ponyo makes it) Ghibli films?

Unless you arent talking about the box office, which I was.

ethelred

Dragon Quest IX hits 3.2 million:

Anoop said:
The Square Enix blockbuster, having reached the 2.9 million mark in sales last week, was, barring an unexpected drop in interest, scheduled to cross 3 million this week. It did just that, according to Famitsu.com.

Citing stats from Enterbrain, the site reported today total sales of 3,217,502 units for the game. This figure covers from July 11, the game's release, to July 26, the close of Enterbrain's latest tracking period.

This is the fastest sales pace ever for a DS game.

It continues to slightly outpace DQ8 in week-to-week sales. The only question remaining is if Square Enix's attempts to cut the resale market out are going to be successful at drastically extending the game's selling duration.
Code:
Name:			Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
Dragon Quest VI		SFC  	1,274,857  	392,864  	269,793  	3,081,975
Dragon Quest VII 	PSX 	1,862,065 	1,072,286 	329,317 	3,893,293
Dragon Quest VIII	PS2 	2,236,881 	559,524 	200,033 	3,555,469
Dragon Quest IX		NDS 	2,343,440 	603,000		271,062		3,217,502

DQ8 only sold around 600,000 copies new after its third week. DQ9 will easily pass that, since it's only 300k away. But it'll need to linger at the top of the sales chart for quite some time longer if it's going to hit the 4.5-5 million range.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ethelred said:
Dragon Quest IX hits 3.2 million:

It continues to slightly outpace DQ8 in week-to-week sales. The only question remaining is if Square Enix's attempts to cut the resale market out are going to be successful at drastically extending the game's selling duration.
Code:
Name:			Sys:	1st Week:	2nd Week:	3rd Week:	LTD:
Dragon Quest VI		SFC  	1,274,857  	392,864  	269,793  	3,081,975
Dragon Quest VII 	PSX 	1,862,065 	1,072,286 	329,317 	3,893,293
Dragon Quest VIII	PS2 	2,236,881 	559,524 	200,033 	3,555,469
Dragon Quest IX		NDS 	2,343,440 	603,000		271,062		3,217,502

So if I'm reading things correctly its starting to fall behind VII? It will definitely be interesting to see what it ends up at.

schuelma said:
So if I'm readiung things correctly its starting to fall behind VII? It will definitely be interesting to see what it ends up at.

Nah those must be up to date lifetime totals, it's a bit confusing layed out like that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Graphics Horse said:
Nah those must be up to date lifetime totals, it's a bit confusing layed out like that.

Yeah you're right.

GCX

ShockingAlberto said:
Disney is equivalent to Disney in Japan.

Ghibli is popular, but nowhere near that popular or that big.

"Equivalent" implies a lot of things that aren't true in that comparison.
Ghibli movies (and especially Miyazaki's movies) are absolutely huge in Japan. Japan's biggest box-office hit ever is Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke is 3rd after Titanic. I think that's a bit more than just "popular".

Another World will sell well because Level 5 will probably market it as a Studio Ghibli RPG. Hiring Ghibli to do theater-quality animation for a game is definitely not cheap (+ Joe Hisaishi too) so I'm sure L5 will make one hell of a deal out of Another World. It has to sell well because it's certainly the most expensive game the company has funded so far.

botticus

schuelma said:
So if I'm reading things correctly its starting to fall behind VII? It will definitely be interesting to see what it ends up at.
It did fall behind the third week total (3.26m vs 3.22m), but like VIII, VII only sold ~600k after its third week. So I imagine next week's numbers will tell us if IX will fly past both of those or just inch its way to the top.

cvxfreak

DQIX has fallen behind DQVII:

Dragon Quest VII: 3,263,668 (third chart appearance)
Dragon Quest IX: 3,217,502 (current LTD)

This is going to be interesting to watch.

Week three pushes DQIX past IV and VI to become the fourth highest in the franchise, going by this:
DRAGONQUEST-SALES-97.png

cvxfreak said:
DQIX has fallen behind DQVII:

Dragon Quest VII: 3,263,668 (third chart appearance)
Dragon Quest IX: 3,217,502 (current LTD)

This is going to be interesting to watch.

andriasang did its research too, and as an added note this is the fastest selling DS game as of today, 1st and 3rd party and all ...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/07/27/dqix_sales_update/

Pertinent news for those making wagers on Dragon Quest IX sales. The Square Enix blockbuster, having reached the 2.9 million mark in sales last week, was, barring an unexpected drop in interest, scheduled to cross 3 million this week. It did just that, according to Famitsu.com.

Citing stats from Enterbrain, the site reported today total sales of 3,217,502 units for the game. This figure covers from July 11, the game's release, to July 26, the close of Enterbrain's latest tracking period.

This is the fastest sales pace ever for a DS game. The site didn't provide similar third week sales stats for DQVIII, although DQIX was tracking better than its predecessor as of last week.

DQIX was number one two weeks running in weekly sales charts from Media Create. With an additional 300,000 or so, it will likely remain number one this week as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
Any thoughts on DQ IX's potential sales in the Western markets?
Well, here's how Dragon Quest has done in Western markets so far this generation, at least as far as the numbers we have go:

2z3qjxi.jpg

I'd say under 400,000 is a safe bet. Actually reaching that would probably be quite impressive.

STG!

HK-47 said:

:*(

It's a crime that these games don't sell well to the Western markets.

I'll be interested to see if DQIX has the legs, especially with it's downloadable extra content.

HK-47 said:

Square-Enix Tax still in place? 40k.

Nirolak said:
Well, here's how Dragon Quest has done in Western markets so far this generation, at least as far as the numbers we have go:

This isn't actually a very useful chart for this purpose at all, since it's actually just sales for a single year period. This makes DQ4 look like it only shipped 11k units, for example, when actually it sold quite a bit more than DQ5. And DQ8 sold like 400k back in the day, though 90% of those were pretty much sold solely for the FFXII demo within.

AniHawk said:
Chrono Trigger DS outsold The Last Remnant? Good lord.

You're... surprised that a $40 definitive version of many people's Favoritest Game Ever released for the best-selling system outsold a $60 no-name RPG with brutal technical difficulties that was (admittedly, oh-so-wrongly) savaged in the critical press?

charlequin said:
This isn't actually a very useful chart for this purpose at all, since it's actually just sales for a single year period. This makes DQ4 look like it only shipped 11k units, for example, when actually it sold quite a bit more than DQ5. And DQ8 sold like 400k back in the day, though 90% of those were pretty much sold solely for the FFXII demo within.

Doesn't it say 110k for DQ4, compared to 60k for DQ5 (in North America)?

charlequin said:
You're... surprised that a $40 definitive version of many people's Favoritest Game Ever released for the best-selling system outsold a $60 no-name RPG with brutal technical difficulties that was (admittedly, oh-so-wrongly) savaged in the critical press?

I think the "good lord" part for me at least is the huge discrepancy in profit margins that would be at play here. You'd wonder why SE ever made a new IP for HD consoles ever again.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
charlequin said:

Damn, that's pretty disheartening. I'm playing TLR on PC now and it's a huge blast. Probably one of the best jrpgs this gen.

zero_suit

DR2K said:
If it cracks 200k in the US I'd be surprised.

Oh, that projection was for the U.S. and Europe (if it's released there). Unfortunately, I know how unpopular the Dragon Quest series is outside of Japan.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
cvxfreak said:
I think it's safe to say that ship has sailed... that said, Brain Training 3 would probably sell at least 3 Million copies.

I really doubt about that. Brain Training games are not anymore the hot thing that they used to be in Japan and that's totally Nintendo's fault for abandoning that market. Recent sales of sequels of previous big selllers from third parties prove that. Nintendo saw (or not?) that coming and endered other unexplored territories with games such as Rhythm Tengoku Gold (even it's a sequel of a GBA game) and Wagamama Fashion: Girls Mode.

About Monster Hunter 3 launch is there any information about the initial shipments of the Black Wii and the Monster Hunter 3 Wii bundle? I guess the bundle edition will be limited but to how many copies? Nintendo is definetely trying hard to reverse the current situation in Japan. It will be the first time since Wii launch that its hardware sales in August won't go down but up.

A little off topic but is anybody else besides me thinking that the reason we haven't heard and seen anything so long about Samurai Warriors 3 is because Koei wants to make it motion plus compatible? This means a big change in gameplay for the game but it's the only way to make it appeal to the western market and not bomb in Japan. (and by bomb I mean it sells less than Samurai Warriors 2 which had already sold way less than Samurai Warrions 1)

Johann

HK-47 said:

Nintendo wants to team up with Square-Enix and make Dragon Quest as big of a seller in the West as Final Fantasy, citing the success their previous success with in-house franchises in the West. This is very reminiscent of Sony America and Europe working with Squaresoft in order to market Final Fantasy 7 in the West. That was back in the early SCE days with Molly Smith, man she was one smart cookie.

I personally expect DQIX to outsell previous side/remake/main entries but not by too much.

farnham

Banned
oh cmon

when nintendo makes a full fledged dr. kawashimas braintraining 3 and markets the hell out of it it will sell at least 3 million units.. a number that only a few games can even dream about

farnham said:
oh cmon

when nintendo makes a full fledged dr. kawashimas braintraining 3 and markets the hell out of it it will sell at least 3 million units.. a number that only a few games can even dream about

And I bet both BT 1&2 will re-enter the chart. It will be 1, 4,5 combo. Competitors will only have slot 2,3 and 6-10. Unless AC:WW decides to join the re-union.

gtj1092

charlequin said:
Square-Enix Tax still in place? 40k.

No doubt the demo caused a lot of sales but you are selling the impact of the cell shaded graphics and DBz like power ups way short. I for one never considered playing a DQ game before 8, heck I had barely heard of DQ before 8. DQ8 had better marketing and graphics than anyone before it and I'm sure those contributed to greater than 10% of the sales.

Rolf NB

Even if DQ8 sold largely for the demo outside of Japan, it still introduced a whole wave of people to the franchise. It's a good game too. People will remember that when they see DQ IX on a store shelf.

Dragon Quest - Series

Code:
[B][U]Main Series:[/U][/B]
PSX - 	Dragon Quest VII		[B]3,893,293[/B]
FC  -	Dragon Quest III		[B]3,800,000[/B]
PS2 -	Dragon Quest VIII               [B]3,694,169[/B]
NDS -	Dragon Quest IX			[B]3,217,502[/B]
SF  -	Dragon Quest VI			[B]3,200,000[/B]
FC  -	Dragon Quest IV			[B]3,100,000[/B]
SF  -	Dragon Quest V			[B]2,800,000[/B]
FC  -	Dragon Quest II			[B]2,400,000[/B]
FC  -	Dragon Quest			[B]1,500,000[/B]

[B][U]Remakes/Ports:[/U][/B]
PS2 -	Dragon Quest V    		[B]1,810,766[/B]
PSX -	Dragon Quest IV     		[B]1,229,501[/B]
NDS -	Dragon Quest IV			[B]1,214,610[/B]
SF  -	Dragon Quest I & II		[B]1,200,000[/B]
NDS -	Dragon Quest V      		[B]1,189,064[/B]
SF  -	Dragon Quest III	      	[B]1,010,989[/B]
GB  -	Dragon Quest I & II		[B]763,760[/B]
GB  -	Dragon Quest III		[B]638,551[/B]

[B][U]Spin-Offs/etc.:[/U][/B]
NDS -	Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker				[B]1,505,327[/B]
GBA -	Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart			[B]593,812[/B]
PS2 -	Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Adventure 3	 	[B]513,796[/B]
WII -	Dragon Quest Swords					[B]489,112[/B]
GB  -	Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure		[B]480,582[/B]
PS2 -	Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special	[B]399,715[/B]
GBA -	Slime Morimori Dragon Quest: Shougeki no Shippo Dan	[B]346,299[/B]
NDS -	Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime			[B]306,276[/B]
PS2 -	Dragon Quest: Shounen Yangus no Fushigina Daibouken	[B]301,755[/B]
PSX -	Dragon Quest Monsters 1+2				[B]294,758[/B]
GBA -	Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Adventure 2		[B]181,024[/B]
GBA -	Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko's Adventure 3		[B]70,643[/B]

wrowa

HK-47 said:
Million +

If Nintendo will push it. Nintendo (well, at least NoE) has shown with Layton that they know how to market a game right -- if Iwata's statement concerning the popularity of DQ in the West is more than hot air and they're really going to support SE with the marketing of DQIX and DQX, I can see these games selling rather good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
wrowa said:
Million +

If Nintendo will push it. Nintendo (well, at least NoE) has shown with Layton that they know how to market a game right -- if Iwata's statement concerning the popularity of DQ in the West is more than hot air and they're really going to support SE with the marketing of DQIX and DQX, I can see these games selling rather good.
You can't exactly make a direct comparison like that.

Professor Layton is a puzzle game with a European-like art style while Dragon Quest is a JRPG with artwork by Akira Toriyama. Right off the bat Dragon Quest faces two huge Western sales hurdles that Layton never had to deal with.

For example, despite some really serious efforts, Nintendo has been having issues getting Rhythm Heaven off the ground in Western markets. While they have managed to accumulate some moderate sales success, it has cost them many commercials with expensive celebrity endorsements over a long period of time, raising the question if doing this was even worth while for them in the first place, especially considering the selling price of DS games in the West.

It'd be great if Nintendo could just put in a bit of advertising and cause Dragon Quest to sell in the West, but sadly things don't tend to just work like that.

gtj1092 said:
No doubt the demo caused a lot of sales but you are selling the impact of the cell shaded graphics and DBz like power ups way short.

No, I'm really not. The effect of a demo/beta of one of these AAA+ tier franchises is huge. I would literally not blink an eye if someone told me 75% of the game's US sales were motivated primarily by the demo.

bcn-ron said:
Even if DQ8 sold largely for the demo outside of Japan, it still introduced a whole wave of people to the franchise. It's a good game too. People will remember that when they see DQ IX on a store shelf.

But why didn't they remember that when they saw DQ 4 and 5 on the shelf? :(

(To answer my own question, I put the blame square(heh)ly on the $10 premium.)

wrowa said:
Million +

Not even that would suffice. DQ's status in Western markets amounts to much less than a niche game.

DQVIII sold like ~500k (or 600k? fuzzy memory here) in Europe without FFXII demo ... and without any prior DQ experience.

Sure the DS remakes didn't do as well but they didn't have much marketing (or at all), DQVIII had an awesome sarcastic tv ad that sure helped it big time. If they repeat such effort (efigs-multi5 localization + actual tv marketing) I think it should do miles better than the remakes at least.

Hey guys, new Garaph game line ability. It's kind of an obvious companion to the ability to see what games sold between arbitrary times. That list takes the known LTD of the earlier time and subtracts it from later LTDs to see how they've sold since then. Well, now the same can be done with the images.

So before, comparing some of 2009's best hangers-on from previous years, we might look at this:
RTG

But now we can set them back to 0 at the beginning of the year and get
2008-12-29

Of course, picking some date in the middle of June when a game hasn't charted since March isn't going to do much good. But I see this primarily being used for yearly or half-yearly stuff, where plenty of games will have updates through Top 100 or 500 lists. For 2009 sales, use 2008-12-29 as the start date.

As another example of a possibility, here are Wii Fit's sales starting with 2007, 2008, and 2009. Though it doesn't work so hot when the 2007 line continues on with the 2008 and 2009 numbers. I guses I'll need to add a "Sum Through Date" like the hardware line generator has.
2008-12-29

Japanese Software Sales Line Graph Generator

As usual, tell me if I've fouled something up.

So this is kind of embarrassing, but it seems that the "Sum Through Date" code was ALREADY in the line image code. Since I didn't use it much for whatever its original intention was, and it wasn't on the creation page... I forgot it was there. At any rate, since 80% of the work was already done, it's now fully functional, too.
2008-12-22

doicare

Just the one prediction this week seeing as the dragon quest numbers already got released.

(ps3) Katamari Damacy Tribute: 36,000

Spiegel

Famitsu Top Ten

01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix)
02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo)
03. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo)
04. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Tenkuu no Senshi (Konami) / NEW
05. [NDS] Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji (Nintendo) / NEW
06. [PS3] Katamari Damacy Tribute (Namco Bandai) / NEW
07. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Mirai Chou-Bakuhatsu!! (Takara Tommy) / NEW

08. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami)
09. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami)
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)

The top 10 might finally be above 10k. I think Penguin no Mondai and Chibi Robo probably both had good legs over the weekend.

When was Chibi Robo DS 2 announced? I must have completely missed that.

Top Bottom