• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 13-19, 2009

Stopsign said:
The top 10 might finally be above 10k. I think Penguin no Mondai and Chibi Robo probably both had good legs over the weekend.

When was Chibi Robo DS 2 announced? I must have completely missed that.
Not long ago. It was with little enough fanfare and with a so-soon release date that people were wondering at first if it might be a rerelease or typo about the "Play on Wii" release.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So Japanese GAF..any idea of the hype level for MH Tri?

schuelma said:
So Japanese GAF..any idea of the hype level for MH Tri?
Seems pretty big, but we'll see. It's always hard to gauge these things beforehand. If it splatters, it won't be for lack of advertising/marketing on Capcom's part, though. I've seen as many ads for MHTri as I have for DQIX.

idlewild_ said:
hm, perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought the katamari games were pretty decent sellers...
The past form of the verb is the correct one. There's been a big drop-off in the series post Minna Daisuki Katamari/ We Love Katamari.

The PS3 version's actually looking to be a minor recovery. Very minor, but small favours and all that.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
Seems pretty big, but we'll see. It's always hard to gauge these things beforehand. If it splatters, it won't be for lack of advertising/marketing on Capcom's part, though. I've seen as many ads for MHTri as I have for DQIX.

Thanks. I'm predicting 500K 1st week. Should be interesting.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does anyone have any predictions on how MH3 will affect Wii hardware?

I'm fairly convinced Monster Hunter 3 itself will sell well, but outside of at least a moderate bump at launch, I have no idea how it will affect Wii sales in the medium and long term.

schuelma

Nirolak said:
Does anyone have any predictions on how MH3 will affect Wii hardware?

I'm fairly convinced Monster Hunter 3 itself will sell well, but outside of at least a moderate bump at launch, I have no idea how it will affect Wii sales in the medium and long term.

Remember the black Wii comes out the same day. I'm expecting a significant first week bump. Anything outside of that I have no idea.

Spiegel

So, as expected, Capcom is going all out with the marketing for the release of Monster Hunter 3.

Shows how this launch has nothing to do with the Monster Hunter games on PS2 and has more in common with the release of the next installment on a 3 million+ selling franchise.
Surely they won't be pleased with less than 1 million (as some people predicted here), but that shouldn't be a problem and the game should easily hit that sales target with this kind of massive promotion.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
So (as expected) Capcom is going all out with the marketing for the release of Monster Hunter 3.

Shows how this launch has nothing to do with the Monster Hunter games on PS2 and has more in common with the release of the next installment on a 3 million+ selling franchise.
Surely they won't be pleased with less than 1 million, but that shouldn't be a problem and the game should easily hit that sales target with this kind of massive promotion.

IIRC they have forecast 2 million by the end of this fiscal year. Given that its not due out until March 2010 in N.A, I'd say they are expecting over a million in Japan, easily.

Anything less than a million will be a disappointment, less than 750K probably a failure IMO.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Tenbatsu said:
I beg you.... please take a picture of it... ;_;
20202079-fad68c5481117d802308831ff0724fb1.4a70752e-scaled.png

Full version: http://www.twitpic.com/c100v/full

This is one of the ads displayed in Shibuya Station

schuelma

According to Anoop's blog, a "reliable gaming blog" is reporting initial shipments at a million.

ccbfan

schuelma said:
IIRC they have forecast 2 million by the end of this fiscal year. Given that its not due out until March 2010 in N.A, I'd say they are expecting over a million in Japan, easily.

Anything less than a million will be a disappointment, less than 750K probably a failure IMO.

Nah MH3 only need to do 600K to be massively successful since no PS2 version have done more than that and that's with a huge user base difference.

Success in the handheld realms does not translate to consoles all the time. I mean look at Pokemon. Can't you just see all the similarities. You can't compare a new full version base game with tons of hype with the portable ports.

Setting such high standards would be pigeon holing people that predict MH3 only needing to beat the PS2 version as Wii damage controllers.

Vinci

Danish
schuelma said:
According to Anoop's blog, a "reliable gaming blog" is reporting initial shipments at a million.

If true, I wouldn't be shocked if it pushes over 600,000 in its first week.

schuelma

Vinci said:
If true, I wouldn't be shocked if it pushes over 600,000 in its first week.

Yeah that would be a higher initial shipment than I expected.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
ccbfan said:
Nah MH3 only need to do 600K to be massively successful since no PS2 version have done more than that and that's with a huge user base difference.

Success in the handheld realms does not translate to consoles all the time. I mean look at Pokemon. Can't you just see all the similarities. You can't compare a new full version base game with tons of hype with the portable ports.

Setting such high standards would be pigeon holing people that predict MH3 only needing to beat the PS2 version as Wii damage controllers.
It's a different case with Pokemon, because portable Pokemon is a full game, and console Pokemon is a gimped and low budget game.

Also the franchise has grown a lot in popularity since the PS2 games, so in this case it is no use comparing the two.

dabra

Sinobi

DSi 81,000
DSL 12,000
PSP 30,000

01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) 271,000 / 3,217,502
02. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) (Nintendo) 71,000 / 405,000
03. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) 67,000 / 735,000
04. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Tenkuu no Senshi (Konami) 56,000 / NEW
05. [NDS] Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji (Nintendo) 40,000 / NEW
06. [PS3] Katamari Damacy Tribute (Namco Bandai) 29,000 / NEW
07. [NDS] Katekyoo Hitman Reborn! DS Flame Rumble X - Mirai Chou-Bakuhatsu!! (Takara Tommy) / NEW
08. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami)
09. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami)
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)

Dragon Ball Wii 10,000
Punch Out 6,000

schuelma

DS staying higher than I thought it would.

I was just getting ready to make a post about how I was doubting WSR's legs but it had a virtually identical number this week.

schuelma

meme said:
Wii Sports showing whar everybody already expected, long legs.
What caused the PSP bump?

I think there were Monster Hunter bundles.

Chibi Robo and the penguin game sold quite well over the weekend. The sell-through for the penguin game is still pretty bad, but at least it could match the first week sales of the predecessor.

Jaruru

cvxfreak said:
HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE

Even bigger than Black Wii.

yea, it's hugggggggggge. definitely.
I'm @ Japan right now. went to Akihabara yesterday. every game store / camera store (they have game section) have huge promo on MH Tri(3). there are tons of merchandizes. most of them are from previous MH titles, but all of them are in front of the store.

Firestorm

They're the sales that never end
yes it just goes on and on my friend
some store started selling it, not knowing what it was
and they'll continue selling them forever just because...

Looking at the chart, i think Konami is pushing Pro Spirits as baseball game for home console and Pawapuro Pocket/Portable for handhelds...

ccbfan said:
Success in the handheld realms does not translate to consoles all the time. I mean look at Pokemon. Can't you just see all the similarities.
We've never seen a situation like this with Pokémon, where the next major generation premieres on a console. If Pokémon Peuce & Plaid come out on Wii half a year before they come out on DS2, I imagine they'll make a bit of a splash.
dabra said:
03. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) 67,000 / 735,000
Huh. TO get below Tomodachi I thought WSR must be around 50K, but instead Tomodachi Collection increased.
cvxfreak said:
Capcom covered one of the walls of Shibuya Station with a Monster Hunter 3 ad. Was quite surprised to see it.
I wouldn't give too much credit to Capcom, though; it's merely the latest salvo in the turf war between the GGs and Poison Jam.

dabra said:
DSi 81,000
DSL 12,000
PSP 30,000

01. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX: Defenders of the Starry Sky (Square Enix) 271,000 / 3,217,502
10. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2 G (BEST) (Capcom)
Hm, I wonder if Tomodachi is more responsible than DQIX for the longer bump...those aren't normal legs at all.

On the other hand, MHP2G "budget" bundle looks like it didn't do much. It was limited to 50k systems (iirc), but in the first week it barely helps the system do 30k (it has been doing >20k without it) and the game (bundles count towards the game in software too) doesn't look like it did much higher than 10k and that's what it was doing. So...7-8k bundles sold? Quite meh.

schuelma

Dra-Q said:
3rd week of DQIX and still 271,000 units? How about the chances of 5 mio LTD. in Japan?

I don't think so. It's decreasing pretty steadily every week.

MotherFan

schuelma said:

That's more than I expected, I was thinking about 500k first week.It will be interesting to see is it can meet those lofty goals, and if it will have PSP legs. Again, I can't seeing it have the legs of the psp MH games since it is not portable but I think it will do better than my initial expectations. And if it does have the legs :D

ccbfan

Man I suck at sarcasm, everyone missed the sarcasm of my post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16825417&postcount=267

ccbfan said:

I recognized what you were doing. I was wondering how many people would actually realize that you were pulling their leg, though. So I didn't say anything.

ccbfan said:

Sarcasm usually only gets caught if people don't expect you to say something retarded.

Vinci

Danish
Segata Sanshiro said:
Sarcasm usually only gets caught if people don't expect you to say something retarded.

I don't know ccbfan well enough to judge him one way or another, but I assumed he wasn't being sarcastic anyway. By default.

ccbfan

Segata Sanshiro said:

Good to know I wasn't the only one to think what I posted was retarded.

Actually a few people thought it was stupid too.

This really helps validates my true opinion of the situation (that I posted earlier). Thanks.

Top Bottom