• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: June 15-21, 2009

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Opiate said:
Does anyone have a list of the 10 biggest franchises on the PS2? Get rid of multiple FFs and DQs, as I'm sure that would make the list much less interesting. I'm also not looking for a sum (as in FFX+X-2+XI+XII) but individual games. That is, I want a list of the ten franchises on the PS2 that had the biggest individual game success on the PS2.

I'd assume DQ, FF, MGS, and DMC are all on that list. Yakuza may be as well.

Anyone? I'm absolutely awful at using JJ's search tool
Best selling 3rd party games on PS2 that are not DQ or FF (in japan):
Musou
Kingdom Hearts
Winning Eleven
Onimusha
Metal Gear Solid
Yakuza
Tales
Some pachinko shit
Gundam
Taiko

I think those are the best selling... Of those, there are like 100 Musou games on PS3, the yearly WE, MGS4 (and I don't think MGS5 will be released this gen), Yakuza 3 (I don't think there will be a Yakuza 4 this gen), a port of Vesperia is coming to PS3.

Kingdom Hearts is not confirmed for any console (S-E doing PSP and DS experiments), Onimusha is dead, Tales is multiplatform and the Wii is receiving an original game, and the PS3 a port; and Taiko is seeing a big success on the Wii.

schuelma said:
Alright, group hug everyone.

On another note, WSR predictions? I think 300K or so first week, hardware bump up to 40K or so.
WSR 150k day1, 350k week1 (wii 30k)
Blazblue (combined) 30k, 40k
Totomono 2 25k, 40k
Rorona 20k, 30k
Valhalla 2G 10k, 20k
Bionic Commando (combined) <10k, <20k
Agarest 0 <10k, <20k

birdchili

Dascu said:
Since we're on the topic of 3rd party support in Japan, what system do you guys reckon SMT4 will come out on?
i was pondering this in relation to some of the rpg stuff that's getting discussed in this thread.

is the smt overlap higher with ff gamers (trendy designs) or dq ones (turn-based gameplay)?

i think there's some evidence that it'll be ps3/360 multiplatform? (was announced for the ps3 at one point and atlus has been looking to hire 360 devs...)

duckroll

Sage00 said:
Anyone have any idea how that FOTNS Pachislot game sold over 900k, or is that a mistake? Was it a hardware bundle or something? It seems insane.

It's not a mistake. The original sold a million. They released two more expansion-like re-releases in subsequent years and they both sold like 200-300k each. I guess people just really liked FotNS Pachislot!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
WSR 150k day1, 350k week1 (wii 30k)
Blazblue (combined) 30k, 40k
Totomono 2 25k, 40k
Rorona 20k, 30k
Valhalla 2G 10k, 20k
Bionic Commando (combined) <10k, <20k
Agarest 0 <10k, <20k

I hope Bionic Commando does better in Japan :lol :lol :lol :lol

donny2112

Dascu said:
Since we're on the topic of 3rd party support in Japan, what system do you guys reckon SMT4 will come out on?

PSP is probably the safest bet, right now.

Edit:
Though Atlus would first want to release SMT1 Portable, SMT2 Portable, and SMT3 Portable, just because.

Eteric Rice

I'm actually surprised that most of those PSP titles aren't being developed on the Wii as well. I mean, whats the deal there? The only thing I can think of is money hats.

markatisu

Eteric Rice said:
I'm actually surprised that most of those PSP titles aren't being developed on the Wii as well. I mean, whats the deal there? The only thing I can think of is money hats.

Has to be something along those lines, ironic since the Wii at one time seemed to be getting PSP ports instead of real games and now it cannot even get those :lol

Sage00

Once And Future Member
donny2112 said:

Edit:
Though Atlus would first want to release SMT1 Portable, SMT2 Portable, and SMT3 Portable, just because.
Now that is an awesome idea! It would mean they could port over and reuse their PS2 demons without changing them too much, bring over ports of the PS2 games and then continue the main series reusing those same demon models.

Sadist

Sony has a deal with Namco regarding Soul Calibur PSP. Don't know if it's a timed exclusive, but something tells me it's not.

Eteric Rice

Sadist said:
Sony has a deal with Namco regarding Soul Calibur PSP. Don't know if it's a timed exclusive, but something tells me it's not.

Well shit, Nintendo needs to make some deals. They need to persue these games.

They especially need to try to get some of the bigger franchises like Persona before Sony does.

markatisu

Eteric Rice said:
Well shit, Nintendo needs to make some deals. They need to persue these games.

They especially need to try to get some of the bigger franchises like Persona before Sony does.

After SC Legends maybe Nintendo is not the best of fans :lol

idlewild_

duckroll said:
Assuming FFXIII can do say 2 million. You think Tales of Graces, Samurai Warriors 3, Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, and Monster Hunter 3 combined will sell over 2 million? I don't know...

wouldn't the wii 3rd parties combined have to sell over 1mil more than the ps3 ones for this year just to bring the 3rd party sales for both consoles even? I imagine that would pretty much rule out the possibility of wii 3rd party overtaking ps3 3rd this year if FFXIII can do 2mil.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Isn't Kratos in the game?

Ah, I took his response as some form of full exclusivity deal or something like that.

I don't think Namco is doing Broken Destiny just because Kratos is in the game. And him being there shouldn't have stopped the possibility of a Wii release (see SC2)

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Spiegel said:
Ah, I took his response as some form of full exclusivity deal or something like that.

I don't think Namco is doing the game just because Kratos is in the game. And him being there shouldn't have stopped the possibility of a Wii release (see SC2)
But Sony has a story of making SC exclusive (see SC3).

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Kratos being in the game shouldn't have stopped the possibility of a Wii release (see SC2)

Yeah, it's weird. Soul Calibur 2 was originally going to be a GameCube exclusive with Link, but Namco decided to change it to just be unique characters in three versions of the game. I wonder if Nintendo will push at all for something similar (e.g. Miis) for a Wii port of this PSP game.

schuelma said:
Ok, I mean I'm not really arguing with you or anything, I just think its a very obvious thing. Most big 3rd party games have gone to the PS3 so far. They've sold better than the trash that by and large makes up the Wii's 3rd party lineup. I don't think that's the end of the story, or we would see every single Japanese 3rd party game announced for the PS3.

Right. I think it's important to remember that Wii's numbers are shittier than an already shitty number (i.e. PS3 third-party sales). The emphasis on direct comparison that places PS3 in "first" obscures the fact that it's a dinky, broken-down kind of "first."

Eteric Rice said:
Nintendo just needs to stop sitting around and push. Wheel and deal.

Like they did with Tetris back in the day.

No, foolish mortal! Nintendo should accept no blame for their relatively empty lineup of desirable third party titles! They should just sit on their ass and scowl until dishonorable third parties remember that the only acceptable behavior is to suck up to them.

donny2112 said:

Errr... why?

Atlus is developing for PS360. Atlus R&D1 uses a development strategy where a lead SMT title for a new hardware platform can develop an engine and a collection of demon assets that can float them through the rest of the generation. There is really very little they would conceivably be developing internally for PS360 besides an SMT game or, if you buy that they've shifted focus in that direction, a Persona game.

PSP is a dead end in those terms; at best it'd be an opportunity to extend their PS2 dev cycle to hardware that sells less total games.

If Atlus really wanted to remake SMT1 and 2 for portables again, I imagine the DS (with its ready-built Etrian Odyssey engine) would be a better choice.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Yeah, it's weird. Soul Calibur 2 was originally going to be a GameCube exclusive with Link, but Namco decided to change it to just be unique characters in three versions of the game. I wonder if Nintendo will push at all for something similar (e.g. Miis) for a Wii port of this PSP game.

That would be awesome

But Sony has a story of making SC exclusive (see SC3).

PSP is the new PS2?

Only in Japan

Eteric Rice

charlequin said:
No, foolish mortal! Nintendo should accept no blame for their relatively empty lineup of desirable third party titles! They should just sit on their ass and scowl until dishonorable third parties remember that the only acceptable behavior is to suck up to them.

Wat.

I didn't say anything about threatening them. They need to get out there and be willing to get competitive. Secure a few exclusives or something. Stop sitting around waiting for third parties to make something for them.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Isn't Soul Calibur PSP just a conversion of SCIV with new characters? Namco (for some reason) has tried to put more original software or installments of their IPs on Wii... for better or worse.

rpmurphy

jj984jj said:
Isn't Soul Calibur PSP just a conversion of SCIV with new characters? Namco (for some reason) has tried to put more original software or installments of their IPs on Wii... for better or worse.

Isn't Namco's best-selling game on the Wii in Japan a new iteration of the Taiko no Tatsujin franchise? Why do they not translate that to a different successful franchise here?

Eteric Rice

jj984jj said:

Yeah.

And I'm pretty sure the Wii could have used a conversion of SCIV.

And Street Fighter IV.

And RE5.

And the list goes on.

Does Nintendo not even try? Even if getting those games working on the Wii needs them to help with assets, etc, then they should do it. Nintendo seems to be just sitting on their asses, hoping for third parties to follow like they did with the DS.

It's not happening so far, they need to get active. Dragon Quest X, Tales of Graces, and Monster Hunter 3 are a good start. But that's just three games. You need quite a few more than that to pull people's interest again.

Not to mention the shit reputation the Wii has with the hardcore userbase right now. They need to work on fixing this or people might not be so willing to try their console next generation. At very least they'll probably be more hesitant.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Eteric Rice said:
Yeah.

And I'm pretty sure the Wii could have used a conversion of SCIV.

And Street Fighter IV.

And RE5.

And the list goes on.

Does Nintendo not even try? Even if getting those games working on the Wii needs them to help with assets, etc, then they should do it. Nintendo seems to be just sitting on their asses, hoping for third parties to follow like they did with the DS.

It's not happening so far, they need to get active. Dragon Quest X, Tales of Graces, and Monster Hunter 3 are a good start. But that's just three games. You need quite a few more than that to pull people's interest again.

Not to mention the shit reputation the Wii has with the hardcore userbase right now. They need to work on fixing this or people might not be so willing to try their console next generation. At very least they'll probably be more hesitant.
There's also Sengoku Musou 3, if you haven't noticed they're active but they're not really going after downports/conversions here. Although Capcom might even downport those 2 particular games for Wii eventually, I doubt that's what Nintendo's really aiming for.

Eteric Rice

jj984jj said:
There's also Sengoku Musou 3, if you haven't noticed they're active but they're not really going after downports/conversions here.

And that's fine and dandy, but there are HUGE holes in their line up right now. If someone wants to buy a console, and they're looking at the Wii, they're going to notice that it's missing some big titles.

They need to get some of those big titles to plug up those holes. Maybe even get those titles with special features (RE5 with some extra content, SFIV with two or three extra fighters or something).

schuelma

Nintendo had a great opportunity to get RPG's and they've completely dropped the ball. That's where they've failed IMO. If Microsoft could get RPG's from SE, there is no reason Nintendo could not have done the same.

donny2112

charlequin said:
Errr... why?

I only meant as far as matching sales expectations from SMT3. It sold 246K on the PS2, and that's in the range I think it's usually safe for developers to shoot for on the PSP for sales.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
schuelma said:
Nintendo had a great opportunity to get RPG's and they've completely dropped the ball. That's where they've failed IMO. If Microsoft could get RPG's from SE, there is no reason Nintendo could not have done the same.
Nintendo just seem to want to avoid RPGs altogether. I don't know if that's the Yamauchi mentality still there after the whole N64/FF etc thing, but even their own company's(Monolith) RPGs, even when Yasumi Matsuno is involved, are relegated to the bottom of their lineup.

Eteric Rice

Sage00 said:
Nintendo just seem to want to avoid RPGs altogether. I don't know if that's the Yamauchi mentality still there after the whole N64/FF etc thing, but even their own company's(Monolith) RPGs, even when Yasumi Matsuno is involved, are relegated to the bottom of their lineup.

Which is weird considering the DS has fuck tons of RPGs.

They should try to get a FFVI remake on the Wii, and V on the DS.

III is what sparked the DS's RPG adaption I believe.

d+pad

Eteric Rice said:

Actually, why not both V and VI on the Wii? I'd sure like that :) Along with a few DQ remakes...

I sure hope Nintendo isn't so stupid as to not go after a few of these sorts of games. They would do wonders for their rep among the so-called hardcore crowd, IMO. (Plus, they'd be downright fun - esp. the FF remakes.)

markatisu

d+pad said:
Actually, why not both V and VI on the Wii? I'd sure like that :) Along with a few DQ remakes...

I sure hope Nintendo isn't so stupid as to not go after a few of these sorts of games. They would do wonders for their rep among the so-called hardcore crowd, IMO. (Plus, they'd be downright fun - esp. the FF remakes.)

I would be happy with that, as long as they avoid the FFVII-FFIX remakes altogether. FFVII while being a big coup would just be a pain in the ass to hear all the bitching and whining and the game would surely never live up to the potential people have in their minds for an HD FFVII

Eteric Rice

d+pad said:

That works too, though VI is more popular.

Point is they need to stop fucking around and start convincing people to develop for their system.

Eteric Rice said:
Point is they need to stop fucking around and start convincing people to develop for their system.
This will not happen, at least not in the way you envision (publishing deals, co-marketing, etc.). Nintendo's method of convincing people to develop for their platform is to sell a lot of their platform and say, "See? Big market!" They are fundamentally a very fiscally conservative company, which has served them well through bad times. In the good times, though, it means that the only stuff they promote aggressively is their own (they spent a phenomenally huge amount on Wii Fit, for example).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Eteric Rice said:

Actually, maybe they don't want too much competition between the Wii and the DS in terms of RPGs? Could be an explanation, but I'm just pulling that out of my ass, just occurred to me.

Eteric Rice said:
I didn't say anything about threatening them. They need to get out there and be willing to get competitive. Secure a few exclusives or something. Stop sitting around waiting for third parties to make something for them.

I was sarcastically agreeing with you. I get dogpiled every other week for saying Nintendo should actually put some wear on their boots and bring third parties to their system.

donny2112 said:
I only meant as far as matching sales expectations from SMT3. It sold 246K on the PS2, and that's in the range I think it's usually safe for developers to shoot for on the PSP for sales.

I don't think the PSP is necessarily a better lock for that level of performance than a PS360 release, and the latter would probably do better worldwide.

Eteric Rice

Liabe Brave said:
This will not happen, at least not in the way you envision (publishing deals, co-marketing, etc.). Nintendo's method of convincing people to develop for their platform is to sell a lot of their platform and say, "See? Big market!" They are fundamentally a very fiscally conservative company, which has served them well through bad times. In the good times, though, it means that the only stuff they promote aggressively is their own (they spent a phenomenally huge amount on Wii Fit, for example).

Well, they need to change that. Being conservative is fine when you've already lost, but they're on top of the world in many aspects right now. They need to get agressive.

The massive user base isn't doing shit for them right now, they need to come up with a new plan. They can't just sit around because even if a third party thought for a second about making something big for the Wii, MS could just come down with cash to co-develop/advertise it.

They need to get out of this conservative shit and start convincing people. They don't have to go after everything, just specific companies/games.

Eteric Rice said:
Well, they need to change that. Being conservative is fine when you've already lost, but they're on top of the world in many aspects right now. They need to get agressive.

The massive user base isn't doing shit for them right now, they need to come up with a new plan. They can't just sit around because even if a third party thought for a second about making something big for the Wii, MS could just come down with cash to co-develop/advertise it.

They need to get out of this conservative shit and start convincing people. They don't have to go after everything, just specific companies/games.
I don't think Nintendo would win in an attempt to out moneyhat Microsoft. It would really be a losing battle, and in the end it would leave companies expecting moneyhats from them. They have to beat Microsoft in an arena other than giving out free money, like userbase size and public perception.

Eteric Rice

bmf said:
I don't think Nintendo would win in an attempt to out moneyhat Microsoft. It would really be a losing battle, and in the end it would leave companies expecting moneyhats from them. They have to beat Microsoft in an arena other than giving out free money, like userbase size and public perception.

Well it seems to me that it's not working to well. They have a huge userbase, but developers just don't give a shit. Why would you give a shit when you have another company that will help develop/fund your game AND has a userbase that will eat it up?

Nintendo can't win third parties with their current strategy. They might be winning the mainstream, but gamers just don't care about them anymore.

Eteric Rice said:
Well it seems to me that it's not working to well. They have a huge userbase, but developers just don't give a shit. Why would you give a shit when you have another company that will help develop/fund your game AND has a userbase that will eat it up?

Nintendo can't win third parties with their current strategy. They might be winning the mainstream, but gamers just don't care about them anymore.
I think they're working on something a bit more long term. They care about the 'gamer' demographic, but that's not their primary focus right now, and I just don't see them getting into a dick measuring contest with Microsoft about it this round, especially when they'd be fighting for an entrenched market that's being strongly catered to by Microsoft and Sony. It's much more likely that they'll continue to publish one or two targeted games a year for that market themselves - Mario, Zelda, Metroid - and show 3rd party publishers that high quality games can be very successful on a Nintendo platform.

Next generation we may see Nintendo pushing hard for 'gamer' games from 3rd parties when there's an opportunity to shake up the market at the start of a new cycle, but I don't think we're going to see that type of activity from them until then. Nintendo will come out the gate again with the lowest price console that will be weaker in capability than their competitors new consoles, but they'll be offering a platform with a strong legacy to 3rd parties where 3rd parties can better resist the rising cost of development in addition to the being the platform that's the market leader incumbent.

Eteric Rice

bmf said:
I think they're working on something a bit more long term. They care about the 'gamer' demographic, but that's not their primary focus right now, and I just don't see them getting into a dick measuring contest with Microsoft about it this round, especially when they'd be fighting for an entrenched market that's being strongly catered to by Microsoft and Sony. It's much more likely that they'll continue to publish one or two targeted games a year for that market themselves - Mario, Zelda, Metroid - and show 3rd party publishers that high quality games can be very successful on a Nintendo platform.

Next generation we may see Nintendo pushing hard for 'gamer' games from 3rd parties when there's an opportunity to shake up the market at the start of a new cycle, but I don't think we're going to see that type of activity from them until then. Nintendo will come out the gate again with the lowest price console that will be weaker in capability than their competitors new consoles, but they'll be offering a platform with a strong legacy to 3rd parties where 3rd parties can better resist the rising cost of development in addition to the being the platform that's the market leader incumbent.

I don't know about that. It'll be hard to change the minds of gamers and developers after this generation, if it keeps going the way it is.

And they don't have to get in a dick waving contest, they just have to get some key titles. It won't be Nintendo trying to pull MS off of a game, but just trying to get a game on their platform as well.

The only exclusives they should go for are games that haven't been called yet. Otherwise, they need to get key games in different genres. Street Fighter, Soul Calibur for fighting, they have Dragon Quest and a Tales game for RPGs, maybe some action games if they can get them.

In Japan, if I were them, I'd be trying to get some RPGs, though. Despite becoming smaller, they still have a lot of pull over there. Maybe even help developers bring some popular DS RPGs to the Wii (Etrian Oddessy is a good example).

test_account

XP-39C²
Busaiku said:
Tomodachi Collection has amazing legs.
I think Nintendo and retailers really underestimated demand.

Going by Sinobi's numbers, the first day shipment was only 76k, and it had sold half of that.
It went on to sell that full shipment, and probably a good percentage of its next one!

I wonder if this will be the next Animal Crossing.
That is some strong 1st week sales indeed when you look at the 1st day numbers. I wonder how much Tomodachi Collection will end up selling in total :)

(I took this quote from the previous Media Create thread, since i didnt want to bump that thread now and i didnt reply on this quote earlier, i hope that is ok :))

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Woah... that takes me back.
Out of curiousity, what was this about again? When he got married and/or when he and his wife is going to have a baby? :)

manueldelalas said:
I think those are the best selling... Of those, there are like 100 Musou games on PS3, the yearly WE, MGS4 (and I don't think MGS5 will be released this gen), Yakuza 3 (I don't think there will be a Yakuza 4 this gen), a port of Vesperia is coming to PS3.
I think it might be a possibility that MGS5 will come this gen, since Microsoft brough Kojima on the stage at this year's E3 announcing that MGS5 were comming to the Xbox 360. But if i should guess, MGS5 will probably not be out before in maybe 2-3 years or so though, so i guess there can be a chance that MGS5 wont come out in this generation as you say, even if it is announced for this generation's consoles (the PS3 and the Xbox 360) :)

EDIT: I added some text.

EDarkness

Eteric Rice said:

Should be pretty obvious why developers don't "give a shit". If I was working on a game, why would I pick the Wii?

bmf said:
I don't think Nintendo would win in an attempt to out moneyhat Microsoft.

This is basically a nonsensical issue. The idea isn't to just constantly spend money to have exclusives of any quality flooding your system; it's to create a market by bringing big-budget exclusives to the system, allowing them to sell well, and then letting companies bring out games to tap that market you have demonstrated the existence of.

Beating Microsoft is irrelevant; acquiring some core-game third party support is the point, and there's more than enough of that potentially for Nintendo to pick some up without directly "stealing" it from MS.

in the end it would leave companies expecting moneyhats from them.

This has never been a meaningful problem for anyone in the industry, so I'm never sure why it is suddenly going to happen only to Nintendo.

EDarkness said:
If I was working on a game, why would I pick the Wii?

Because you want to use motion controls? Because you already have fully functional PS2-era toolchains and engines to work with? Because you have the ability to think outside of the ultra-short-term and have at least considered the possibility that the Wii might turn out to be the market leader in, oh, say, 2009?

schuelma

Hardware:

DSi 40,464
PSP 27,884
Wii 19,386
PS3 10,359
Xbox 360 6,734
DS Lite 5,531
PS2 3,770

Eteric Rice

charlequin said:
This is basically a nonsensical issue. The idea isn't to just constantly spend money to have exclusives of any quality flooding your system; it's to create a market by bringing big-budget exclusives to the system, allowing them to sell well, and then letting companies bring out games to tap that market you have demonstrated the existence of.

This.

They need to build a fanbase for different genres. Right now they have the casual stuff down, but they need to aggressively get third parties on board other genres.

Eteric Rice said:
The only exclusives they should go for are games that haven't been called yet. Otherwise, they need to get key games in different genres. Street Fighter, Soul Calibur for fighting, they have Dragon Quest and a Tales game for RPGs, maybe some action games if they can get them.

In Japan, if I were them, I'd be trying to get some RPGs, though. Despite becoming smaller, they still have a lot of pull over there. Maybe even help developers bring some popular DS RPGs to the Wii (Etrian Oddessy is a good example).
I think most of the big names in action have already been called, along with the big names in survival horror, but they did get a touch of two of those. The Silent Hill remake and Fatal Frame, although Fatal Frame didn't seem to pan out as well one would hope. The real big name action titles from Konami and Capcom already seemed to have gone to the PS3 (with some later steals from MS) before the generation even began, and that seems to be what's held back the Wii a lot - most of the big name games were already well into development for the PS3 before E3 2006 when the hard to believe momentum for the Wii started to become apparent.

As far as RPGs, they've got a mainline Tales, the mainline DQ, and the mainline Monster Hunter - even if it's destined to be ported to the PSP eventually. The only other big name they could ask for is a mainline Final Fantasy, and it wouldn't terribly surprise me if they got XV.

As far as I can tell, most developers started this generation with the assumption that they'd build their new big engines and initial games for the PS3, and then reuse those engine assets for the next two games in each of those series. Nintendo's success has thrown a monkey wrench into those plans, and while some retooling again to support the Wii, many are staying the course, and hoping that Sony (and now MS) do well enough to sustain them.

This all culminates in a series of problems. 3rd parties with smaller titles are going to be nervous about bringing those titles to a system that doesn't have any big name titles of the same genre, but they'll be all over bringing in games that already have a proven track record on the system. We will see more RPGs on the Wii during the next two years because of the Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter announcements. We'll see more companies making games in the Party Game and Fitness arenas because Nintendo has already proven it's possible. I would like it if more companies developing action/adventure games for the Wii, but it seems like Mario and Zelda are not enough to break the trepidation for whatever reasons that we've seen listed in these threads over the last couple of years.

Western development is another matter, but that's outside the scope of this thread.

Top Bottom