• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

You hope psvita selling like ps3, but ps3 needs a price cut O_O it's a quite weird point of view. I think ps3 still sell enough well for its age & relative price, sony probably gains a lot of money, there is no reason to cut for sony.

It's down yoy by pretty big margin and it has been ages since last price cut. They would make nice profits from hw even with price cut.

Laguna

Banned
Mario 2D, Monster Hunter and Nintendo Land are not heavy hitters now?
Yep, no spin here lol

I really don´t know if you are joking or not. Nintendoland is considered a heavyhitter now? Ok it easily outsold any PSVita game but let´s be honest that isn´t some high benchmark. Also we aren´t talking about 130k sellers but potential millionsellers like Mario Kart. I think that it´s quite easy to understand the difference.

Jigolo

Imagine is Sony cut production of the PSP. I know it's still selling but cutting off the PSP would = increased sales for the Vita most likely. Too bad Sony won't because it's probably dirt cheap to produce the PSP now so Sony is just raking in some mula

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah but PS4 is coming out a year after WiiU, not the other way around. If Nintendo were to release Smash Bros. at the same time as PS4, it could theoretically take some of the wind out of their sales.

Nintendo released a 2D side scrolling Mario title and there's no wind in the U's sales.

L Thammy

ADi3saP.png

KsSzlso.png

All charts launch-aligned.

KlNTJMq.png

pM6x4I1.png

Note, since this draws only from the top 10 it does not represent smaller titles.
e.g., software sales of zero are assumed if the console has no games in the top 10.

iT7SXwC.png

Tally of the number of titles for that platform in the top 20 for each week.
I can't find the top 20 for PS3's second week. It has been assumed as zero.

Feel free to criticize or point out mistakes.

test_account

XP-39C²
I really don´t know if you are joking or not. Nintendoland is considered a heavyhitter now? Ok it easily outsold any PSVita game but let´s be honest that isn´t some high benchmark. Also we aren´t talking about 130k sellers but potential millionsellers like Mario Kart. I think that it´s quite easy to understand the difference.
Yep, Nintendoland was set up to be the Wii Sport equivalent, to show off what the controller can do. Definitelly not a small title in Nintendo's eyes.

jeremy1456

Let's not compare how strong sony was back then to how weak they are now.

I think that's all he's got.

If anything, the Wii U had a fairly Japan-centric launch with stuff like Monster Hunter and NSMB.

I think the fact that it's not selling particularly well speaks more about the current state of home consoles in Japan than Nintendo's brand strength.

Laguna

Banned
Yep, Nintendoland was set up to be the Wii Sport equivalent, to show off what the controller can do. Definitelly not a small title in Nintendo's eyes.

I think there are more similarities between MH and SS than WiiSports and Nintendoland but it´s interesting that a Monster Hunter clone like Soul Sacrifice which is released on a system with a bigger userbase most likely will sell less than Nintendoland sold so far. In my opinion Nintendoland isn´t a system-seller, at least not a strong one and that the WiiU right now is mainly beeing sold with NSMBU as the system-seller. Also I think it´s obvious that a system can´t sell for a long period of time only with a few launch games, therefore it´s only logical to suggest that potential million-sellers or good sellers (300k+) could be of help.

I think there are more similarities between MH and SS than WiiSports and Nintendoland but it´s interesting that a Monster Hunter clone like Soul Sacrifice which is released on a system with a bigger userbase most likely will sell less than Nintendoland sold so far. In my opinion Nintendoland isn´t a system-seller, at least not a strong one and that the WiiU right now is mainly beeing sold with NSMBU as the system-seller. Also I think it´s obvious that a system can´t sell for a long period of time only with a few launch games, therefore it´s only logical to suggest that potential million-sellers or good sellers (300k+) could be of help.

So much wrong with this. First you are comparing console games and handhelds. Second you are comparing games sold on their own with games that are included with nearly every system sold. Third you call SS a monster hunter clone, which it is not. Similarities sure, but it is far from a clone.

jeremy1456

So much wrong with this. First you are comparing console games and handhelds. Second you are comparing games sold on their own with games that are included with nearly every system sold. Third you call SS a monster hunter clone, which it is not. Similarities sure, but it is far from a clone.

It sounds like it was being marketed as very similar to Monster Hunter, so for this purpose it's not unfair to compare them.

jeremy1456

Nintendo Land always seemed like the sort of game that wouldn't be a system seller, but would periodically jump up the list as a companion title for bigger releases.

New Super Mario Bros. U is a little surprising in that it's not pushing more hardware, but as the bigger releases come out I expect that too to jump back on the charts and eventually pull 1 million+

I do think Nintendo wanted Nintendo Land to be the hit helping to sell the platform as Wii Sports did back in 2006. It didn't work. It sold well given the hardware sales, but it's not the hit they expected to be. Then of course, it was also a new IP somehow, so there was less predictability on this aspect, and Mario was really the hit to launch with Wii U.

jeremy1456

Don't worry, Wii U will also have its 15 minutes of fame in 3 weeks.

I don't want to see the soap opera gif rehashed for the 3rd time, though. Bring me new material, people.

It will have several big moments throughout the year.

The Vita is the one I'm worried about.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Don't worry, Wii U will also have its 15 minutes of fame in 3 weeks.

I don't want to see the soap opera gif rehashed for the 3rd time, though. Bring me new material, people.

You think Game & Wario is going to have that big of an impact? Didn't the last Warioware game bomb horribly?

Mileena

Banned
The last Wario Ware game, Wario Ware: D.I.Y. sold like 150k+ if I recall.
Game and Wario looks much worse and dumbed down than WW though. It's probably the biggest waste of a first party game Nintendo could have thought of. Any other IP is better than yet another minigamethon.

Laguna

Banned

1. Who cares? Handhelds have been more successful for quite sometime in Japan. So it´s pretty telling that Nintendoland which is a console game on a smaller userbase already outsold any game on PSV. My point is that Soul Sacrfice doesn´t look like it can outsell even Nintendoland in Japan.

2. I´m talking about Japanese sales, because worldwide WiiU actually already outsold PSV. Also Nintendoland isn´t bundled in Japan.

3. It is a clone like Sonic Transformed is a clone to MK7, this doesn´t mean it´s identical in this case.

I think that's all he's got.

If anything, the Wii U had a fairly Japan-centric launch with stuff like Monster Hunter and NSMB.

I think the fact that it's not selling particularly well speaks more about the current state of home consoles in Japan than Nintendo's brand strength.

Nintendo home consoles have never been as popular as their handhelds. The WiiU has a severe lack of games and third party support. The gimmick of the WiiU is not in any sense as popular as the Wii's motion controller.

It is pretty obvious that the WiiU is failing because of Nintendo's shortcomings.

People have been overstating the sales power of some of Nintendo's IP's recently thinking they will perform similarly when they released in the Wii generation.

Most of the franchises saw a significant boost during the Wii generation something people should not forget.

PS4 is an unknown thing right now. We don't know how Japanese centric its going to be or its Japanese third party support until E3 and TGS.

Who knows maybe the PS4 will be more similar to the ps2 than ps3 of vice versa. I think its kinda pointless talking about it right now because we would not even be making educated guesses.

It sounds like it was being marketed as very similar to Monster Hunter, so for this purpose it's not unfair to compare them.

Being in the same genre and competing does not mean its a clone lol.

Is Halo a clone of Doom?

1. Who cares? Handhelds have been more successful for quite sometime in Japan. So it´s pretty telling that Nintendoland which is a console game on a smaller userbase already outsold any game on PSV. My point is that Soul Sacrfice doesn´t look like it can outsell even Nintendoland in Japan.

2. I´m talking about Japanese sales, because worldwide WiiU actually already outsold PSV. Also Nintendoland isn´t bundled in Japan.

3. It is a clone like Sonic Transformed is a clone to MK7, this doesn´t mean it´s identical in this case.

1) Lets not try and act Nintendoland was not heavily pushed my Nintendo. It was clearly meant to be the Wii sports of the WiiU. Furthermore it has a big brand name to it....Nintendo. I think a more valid comparison would be bravely default.

Despite the 3DS having an install base of over 7.5 million BD a new IP only sold 12 k more than Soul Sacrifice.

3) Sonic transformed has a lot in common to MK series.

SS only similarity with MH is that it is a 4 player monster hunting game. Since MH success this new genre of Monster Hunting has taken off however that does not mean all games in this genre are a clone of MH. I would say GE is more of a clone to MH than SS.

Game and Wario looks much worse and dumbed down than WW though. It's probably the biggest waste of a first party game Nintendo could have thought of. Any other IP is better than yet another minigamethon.

The shift from micro-games to mini-games worries me. WarioWare was an amazing series because it was really different from all the other collection of mini-games. In few seconds, they could include the craziness and the dementiality that only Wario had among Nintendo characters. And now? 14 mini-games? Lol

Nintendo home consoles have never been as popular as their handhelds. The WiiU has a severe lack of games and third party support. The gimmick of the WiiU is not in any sense as popular as the Wii's motion controller.

It is pretty obvious that the WiiU is failing because of Nintendo's shortcomings.

People have been overstating the sales power of some of Nintendo's IP's recently thinking they will perform similarly when they released in the Wii generation.

Most of the franchises saw a significant boost during the Wii generation something people should not forget.

PS4 is an unknown thing right now. We don't know how Japanese centric its going to be or its Japanese third party support until E3 and TGS.

Who knows maybe the PS4 will be more similar to the ps2 than ps3 of vice versa. I think its kinda pointless talking about it right now because we would not even be making educated guesses.

Did you realize that many, many IPs that were locked on home consoles have been released on handheld in the last 6 or 7 years? Mainline Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Shin Megami Tensei, Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts. But also a lot of medium and small games now are on handheld only.

guek

Banned
hard to believe that some of the posts i'm reading in the first few pages are completely serious...

guess I should expect nothing less from gaf.

SS and vita did almost exactly what I expected. Good for them. And now we wait and see what happens in the following weeks...

Laguna

Banned
Nintendo Land always seemed like the sort of game that wouldn't be a system seller, but would periodically jump up the list as a companion title for bigger releases.

New Super Mario Bros. U is a little surprising in that it's not pushing more hardware, but as the bigger releases come out I expect that too to jump back on the charts and eventually pull 1 million+

I agree on both points. Nintendoland is a game that is bought by people that would have bought a WiiU anyway for other games like NSMBU and less a game that sells you on a new system in my opinion. I also agree that NSMBU will see some sales spikes when other big games are released and in the holiday seasons.

jeremy1456

You are right that a lot of the franchises saw boosts during the Wii generation, after having hugely successful DS iterations however, I might add. Sales were pretty synonymous between most franchises on both platforms - it wasn't the popularity of the Wii that was boosting them. The GBA was super popular and Mario Kart: Super Circuit (for instance) didn't take off to the levels of the DS and Wii versions.

We can still gauge how popular the franchises are by looking at sales on the 3DS. For instance, New Super Mario Bros. has taken a serious hit after looking at sales of 2 and U, Mario Kart is still trucking along similarly to how it performed on the Wii and DS, and we also have Animal Crossing which is outperforming the DS and Wii versions.

The franchises didn't just jump off a cliff in terms of popularity. Some don't have the selling strength that they did last gen, but to say that they are being overestimated is silly.

test_account

XP-39C²
About similarities, i see it as being about the same. Wii Sports and Nintendoland are both designed around taking advantage of what the controllers can do, while Soul Sacrifice is a game in the hunting genre, same as Monster Hunter is. (Soul Sacrifice has noticeable differences from Monster Hunter by the way. Not only regarding gameplay mechanics, but also the whole theme of the game. When i think of a clone, i think more about games that shares the same theme as well, like a military shooter for example).

As for Nintendoland selling more, it is being bundled with the Deluxe Version of WiiU. It is also based on a lot of known IPs and have a much more broader appeal than Soul Sacrifice. I think these factors are the reasons why it has sold more than Soul Sacrifice.

About waiting for bigger sellers (Mario Kart etc.) to see the impact on WiiU hardware sales, that is fair enough =)

B.O.O.M

Read the last few pages and facepalmed. Why the drama? Why the need to downplay? Why the spin? Actually without those it might not be as interesting to read I guess

Anywho

Vita HW - Fantastic!
Soul Sacrifice - Great! Best launch for a SCEJ title for a handheld by a mile too. Need a demo
Tales - ok I guess. Hoped for better
3ds hw - still doing great!
Layton - :(
Animal Crossing - great

Wii U = Horrid! What are the upcoming heavy hitters for this system in the near future? DQ X?

Laguna

Banned
1) Lets not try and act Nintendoland was not heavily pushed my Nintendo. It was clearly meant to be the Wii sports of the WiiU. Furthermore it has a big brand name to it....Nintendo. I think a more valid comparison would be bravely default.

Despite the 3DS having an install base of over 7.5 million BD a new IP only sold 12 k more than Soul Sacrifice.

3) Sonic transformed has a lot in common to MK series.

SS only similarity with MH is that it is a 4 player monster hunting game. Since MH success this new genre of Monster Hunting has taken off however that does not mean all games in this genre are a clone of MH. I would say GE is more of a clone to MH than SS.

According to some Sonyfans even PSABR isn´t a Smash clone. Also regardless of any excuse Nintendoland sold more than any PSV game on a smaller userbase than Soul Sacrifice and it seems also more than SS will sell in its lifetime. Don´t know why you chose a rather niche game like Bravely Default, because this game never saw a big marketing budget or confidence from the publisher unlike Soul Sacrifice, but it´s quite interesting that such a niche a "hidden" (publishers confidence and marketing budget) game outsold Soul Sacrifice which undoubtly is PSVs flagship title.

Sony should just go around money hatting everything. They should have bought vita exclusivity for pirate warriors 2,toukiden, gundam breaker and if possible, project versus j. They should also make sure Valhalla knights 3 is good and push it hard like soul sacrifice.

edit:I also think that not money hatting god eater 2 was a huge missed opportunity. Let's hope that(if it exist) phantasy star portable 3(victory) is a vita exclusive.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Poor Laguna. Its come to the point where we have to spin a jRPG from Square releasing IN JAPAN that is a Final Fantasy in but name only (its essentially a successor to Warriors of Light) as a niche title that didn't get much advertising and was a "hidden" game except FIVE PLAYABLE DEMOS.

4810324583_68265985a4.jpg

Poor Laguna. Its come to the point where we have to spin a jRPG from Square releasing IN JAPAN that is a Final Fantasy in but name only (its essentially a successor to Warriors of Light) is a niche title that didn't get much advertising and was a "hidden" game except FIVE PLAYABLE DEMOS.

Bravely Default didn't get much advertisement, indeed. As duckroll pointed out, demos and stuffs were managed by the team itself, and not by a marketing team, indicating how Square's expectations were not much high. Bravely Default didn't get any bundle, and promotion by Nintendo.

Anyway, Bravely Default sold really well and well above Square's expectations.

Laguna

Banned
Poor Laguna. Its come to the point where we have to spin a jRPG from Square releasing IN JAPAN that is a Final Fantasy in but name only (its essentially a successor to Warriors of Light) as a niche title that didn't get much advertising and was a "hidden" game except FIVE PLAYABLE DEMOS.

It´s really quite sad that you just can´t accept the truth. But go on with your unfounded opinion that Bravely Default was supposed to change 3DSs market position or got a marketing budget anywhere near Soul Sacrifice for PSV. Quite disappointing that SS sold less than a niche game like Bravely Default, but at least it sold very well for PSV standards. In fact expectations for Bravely Default were low, therefore its first shipment was too low/undershipped. Are there any stock problems for SS? No.

I just take issue with the word clone. It implies one just copied another game wholesale, which is not the case in Soul Sacrifice. I mean you fight huge monsters in the Souls series does that make them a MH clone? Of course not. Neither should SS be labeled as such. I agree it could be targeting the MH fans, however, as there are many of them and could carry this game once they spread the word of how different and good SS is. Even that is selling SS short because I think the differences are so great that it has the potential to appeal to people that didn't like MH. Like myself.

ohlawd

looking at the threads before Bravely Default's release, that game apparently had very little advertisements going for it.

demos don't do jack shit :/

jeremy1456

It´s really quite sad that you just can´t accept the truth. But go on with your unfounded opinion that Bravely Default was supposed to change 3DSs market position or got a marketing budget anywhere near Soul Sacrifice for PSV. Quite disappointing that SS sold less than a niche game like Bravely Default, but at least it sold very well for PSV standards. In fact expectations for Bravely Default were low, therefore its first shipment was too low/undershipped. Are there any stock problems for SS? No.

You should know by now that as Vita sales rise common sense on this forum falls.

The two are directly proportionate.

Dragon

Banned
I just take issue with the word clone. It implies one just copied another game wholesale, which is not the case in Soul Sacrifice. I mean you fight huge monsters in the Souls series does that make them a MH clone? Of course not. Neither should SS be labeled as such. I agree it could be targeting the MH fans, however, as there are many of them and could carry this game once they spread the word of how different and good SS is. Even that is selling SS short because I think the differences are so great that it has the potential to appeal to people that didn't like MH. Like myself.

It's just a lazy criticism if that's true. Advertising and boxart may indeed indicate that side of things being targeted at the MH crowd, but they obviously bought a 3DS anyway so it seems to be silly on that level.

Top Bottom