• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

Ha! You can't spin this particular week to a negative to matter how hard you try. The overall performance of the Vita is a different matter.

Some here are so emotionally invested it makes this thread so great. I'm loving the spin/damage control/tears.

Dat negative spin...
How is it spin if it's true? This would be an entirely different story if the Vita was able to maintain 60,000 units per week following the price drop, but precedent suggests otherwise. I expect the numbers to drop significantly within a few weeks.

Oh stop man.

When the Wii U gets that bump to 50k later this year, we'll be partying like its 1985
The difference between the Wii U and the Vita is that Nintendo hasn't released their heavy hitters yet. Yes, the Wii U is failing miserably right now, but what do you expect when Nintendo won't even announce a damn release date for Pikmin 3? There is literally nothing new to buy.

saichi

Doing the numbers that Vita did in the past 2 months in just 2 weeks is pretty impressive. We'll have to see how it develops further. If it can be in that 15k-20k region in weeks where there's nothing released for it, then the system is in a healthy enough place to keep support.

It also shows how bad it was selling prior to price cut.

But not a new genre right?

Well, fuck me then. Every similar game must be a MH clone now.

The advertising certainly speaks for itself. I'd imagine the sales would have been nowhere near as impressive if they weren't pretending to be selling a reskinned MH.

It's all about perception.

Good sales for Vita. 20k weekly pace would already be huge win for it. Still considering release schedule I am not holding my breath. Hopefully at leats 15k. Yes those would be still pretty sad numbers but would keep it somewhat revelant. PS3 also seriously needs price cut and well Wii U: lol.

CTLance

Cool to see Vita wiiiiiise fwom da gwave. Better late than never, huh. I mean, that price cut. Wonder what could have been had they matched Nintendo back then.

I remain baffled that a company as big and as seasoned as Nintendo can bungle up the software situation on their hardware like this.

Sidenote: I love how the 360 randomly fluctuates. Plus fifty percent without even doing anything! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, motherfuckers.

Percentages are fun. ;)

Frillen

Good sales for Vita. 20k weekly pace would already be huge win for it. Still considering release schedule I am not holding my breath. Hopefully at leats 15k. Yes those would be still pretty sad numbers but would keep it somewhat revelant. PS3 also seriously needs price cut and well Wii U: lol.

So 20k will be a huge win while 15k will be sad? That's a pretty big difference for 5k.

This is straight up delusion.

19k vs 20k. Basically the same, but due to its recency PSV benefits from the pricecut.
You're ignoring one model of the 3ds and rounding up the price of another. Also, 3DS was competing against the psp at the time of its cut. The vita is competing against a popular, and lower priced, 3DS. Not analogous situations.

So 20k will be a huge win while 15k will be sad? That's a pretty big difference for 5k.

Vita sales have been so bad that it makes 5k difference feel like huge gap lol. Maybe I phrased that badly. Still with 20k weekly pace it would sell pretty much like PS3 did most of its life. Bad compared to PSP but would keep it alive.

Frillen

3DS consistently sold better after the price drop.

No reason why the Vita cant ami rite? Ami rite?

Yeah, but the 3DS wasn't selling <10k constantly prior to the price cut. It sold much more. Plus the Vita doesn't have anything remotely close to what the 3DS recieved a few months after the price cut (SM3DL, MK7 and MH3G).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Well, 3DS also had 3 million selling games that came out within 3 months of the price drop.

MarkusRJR

If this isn't sarcasm (which I think it is), the 3DS had a bigger price drop earlier in it's life cycle followed by a bunch of big games and a good line up after that. The Vita had a smaller price drop after selling pathetically for more than a year, and got 2 decent sellers with a pretty empty line up beyond that. Completely different scenarios.

These are good sales for the Vita but without any big games on the horizon it's only going to go back to similar sales as before.

It's obvious that real test is whether these numbers sustain for the next few weeks but I just find it hypocritical that people are questioning people being happy about Vita's current sales when those same people would be jumping up and down if a major release for Wii U came out and Wii U rose to Heaven. In any case, this is getting off topic.

I agree that it's stupid to question people being happy about Vita's current sales. People can celebrate as they want.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The thing is, Nintendo has several big games on the horizon for the Wii U. Almost all are significantly bigger than Soul Sacrifice, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Senran Kagura. Combined.

The Wii U stands a significantly better chance of making an all out comeback than the Vita.

The PS4 is also on the horizon. A comeback is not going to be so easy.

It's obvious that real test is whether these numbers sustain for the next few weeks but I just find it hypocritical that people are questioning people being happy about Vita's current sales when those same people would be jumping up and down if a major release for Wii U came out and Wii U rose to Heaven. In any case, this is getting off topic.

EDIT: NM, misinterpreted this post. My mistake.

Some here are so emotionally invested it makes this thread so great. I'm loving the spin/damage control/tears.

I'm guessing self-awareness isn't your strong suit.

NotLiquid

Any possible spike in sales should be seen as good.

It's just not exactly reassuring when that spike could have been potentially better considering the circumstances. The big hyped up Vita game of the year is out, was said to sell out everywhere and received a good amount of word of mouth. Yet the console has only stabilized sales since last week. This begs the question, where will the sales go from here?

This week's sales are pretty good, and that it sold similarly last week is better. But considering the circumstances it could have been more. I think next week ought to be telling, personally I'm worried it's going to go down pretty fast again. But I really hope I'll eat crow. I'd love for the Vita to get well.

matmanx1

Niche is a somewhat nebulous term, I admit. Certainly not niche in the sense of Neptunia or other otaku games, but niche relative to what comparable titles sold on PSP from 2005-2008, and relative to what Sony needs for Vita to become a viable and commercially relevant platform in the West.

Also, the bundles were $199 for Black Friday. It didn't help very much.

Ahh I had forgotten (or didn't realize) that the AC bundles were $199 at one point. And thanks for clarifying.

I'm still of the opinion that AC:3 Liberation was a good step and a good result for the Vita. Maybe the expectations were low to begin with but it seems as if they sold all they made of that bundle. I also think it's where Sony needs to be focusing on with the Vita for the remainder of this year along with a permanent price drop in the rest of the world. Price drops for the hardware and the memory cards need to happen sooner rather than later and that would certainly speed adoption rates.

boingball

All hail the Vita.
Well, with the price drop last week and the release of Soul Sacrifice this was to be expected. The numbers for Soul Sacrifice are bad though. It will be remembered only as a MH clone and not as a MH killer. Getting to 250k will be a struggle.

L Thammy

EDIT: Well, that didn't work. Is there no way to post a table in GAF?
Soul Sacrifice's first week is less than half as much as either God Eater's, close to half of the latest Phantasy Star, and just a bit higher than Lords of Arcana.
It also performed similar to first-gen Monster Hunters.

Week1 LTD
PSV Soul Sacrifice 105.863 -

PSP God Eater 276,104 617,828
PSP GOD EATER BURST 267,178 436,158

PSP Phantasy Star Portable 329,455 633,954
PSP Phantasy Star Portable 2 284,883 590,527
PSP Phantasy Star Portable 2: Infinity 219,477 373,309

PSP Toriko: Gourmet Survival 60,528 138,838
PSP Toriko: Gourmet Survival! 2 43,790 108,672

PSP Lord of Arcana 90,707 142,388
PSP Lord of Apocalypse 17,910 17,910
PSV Lord of Apocalypse 29,111 29,111

DS Monster Busters 15,658 61,009
DS Monster Busters Powered 15,329 47,648

PSP Valhalla Knights 14,089 64,506
PSP Valhalla Knights 2 34,562 89,004
PSP Valhalla Knights 2: Battle Stance 13,588 33,271
Wii Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga 4,677 11,613

3DS E.X. Troopers 16,084 22,159
PS3 E.X. Troopers 11,359 11,359

DS Element Hunter 4,205 11,635

PS2 Monster Hunter 120,640 288,559
PS2 Monster Hunter G 128,051 232,239
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 118,317 668,964
PS2 Monster Hunter 2 368,057 570,651
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd 746,313 1,720,397
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G 823,265 2,452,111
Wii Monster Hunter 3 582,548 1,070,743
PSP Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village 280,521 548,968
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 3rd 2,146,467 4,502,446
PS3 Monster Hunter Portable 3rd HD Ver. 282,960 404,501
PSP Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP the Best) 15,113 299,008
3DS Monster Hunter 3G 471,055 1,585,493
WiiU Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 110,149 195,213

omonimo

Banned
You hope psvita selling like ps3, but ps3 needs a price cut O_O it's a quite weird point of view. I think ps3 still sell enough well for its age & relative price, sony probably gains a lot of money, there is no reason to cut for sony.

Soriku

WHY NOT BOTH.JPEG

Seriously, Demon Souls 2, PS3/Vita cross buy doesn't appeal to you?

I'm just talking about a Vita exclusive game.

Anyway I think Namco has a hold on the Souls series for now, plus the upcoming game from the old director. I'm not really sure what could be accomplished with a Demon's Souls 2 that can't in Dark Souls 2, 3, etc. The only benefit is...it'd be Sony exclusive?

knkng

Yeah, I forgot how Gamecube stomped the PS2 years ago.

Yeah but PS4 is coming out a year after WiiU, not the other way around. If Nintendo were to release Smash Bros. at the same time as PS4, it could theoretically take some of the wind out of their sales.

Ha! You can't spin this particular week to a negative to matter how hard you try. The overall performance of the Vita is a different matter.

I guess you haven't come across our more "creative" gaffers who can turn every positive into a negative? :p

farnham

Banned
Is it possible to reach 60k for one or two weeks for wiiu if it has, say a 100$ pricedrop and mario kart wii in q4? Looks like quite a feat at this point.

Mario 2D, Monster Hunter and Nintendo Land are not heavy hitters now?
Yep, no spin here lol

mario 2d yeah is a heavy hitter but nintendoland is a new unproven game though worth mentioning it has noticably outsold every single game released on vita, monhun is just a hd upresing

test_account

XP-39C²
How is it spin if it's true? This would be an entirely different story if the Vita was able to maintain 60,000 units per week following the price drop, but precedent suggests otherwise. I expect the numbers to drop significantly within a few weeks.
Not going to say much about this specific case, but about spin in general, they are often based on true things. A recent example with Sim City, it was said that there were server problems because people wouldnt log off the servers because they were enjoying the game. This is also true, the reason for the server problems were that there were too many people online. Still it is being seen as a spin, because another reason for the server problems was that they didnt have enough servers up and running at launch to be able to take care of all the users.

Top Bottom