• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 10, 2013 (Mar 04 - Mar 10)

matmanx1

As I said, "potentially profitable niche market." The problem is, Sony's Western strategy for Vita is almost entirely predicated on the notion that such titles can be major system-sellers, not profitable niche titles.

So are you defining a niche title to be one that doesn't move hardware to any degree? (Actually, I thought the Assassin's Creed White Vita Bundle did pretty well over here around the Holidays but I'm not sure how many were produced) Because 600k+ for a title does not seem to indicate "niche" to me.

I do wonder how many of the AC:3 Liberation bundle were sold over the holidays and how many more of that same bundle would have been sold if the price were $199. I imagine we'll see such a bundle later this year as I expect that will be the price point before too long.

BadWolf

If it's not made by FROM though how good will it be? Didn't they try something similar with this Ruin game or was that cancelled?

Why woundn't it be made by FROM? Sony paid them to do it once and they can do so again.

Its not like Miyazaki is working on Dark Souls 2...

Revenue guarantees don't necessarily cover opportunity cost, and there is a considerable one inherent in diverting resources from viable consoles to a failing handheld.

You are mixing cause with result.

Neither 3DS would be selling 70k weekly nor PSV would be selling 10k weekly if MH3 and MH4 were PSV exclusive.

Maedhros

It's not THAT different. Every gamers know that.

Except IT IS. You don't need to be special to not get it from videos or impressions.

See the Japanese thread and impressions from Kyofu (MH player) to see the differences. It's a game from the same genre, but completely different approach.

The only similarity is that they are Hunting Action games (4 players against a monster). It ends there.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, Vita actually held its spiked position for a second week. That's probably the most surprising thing here. Soul Sacrifice did very well though.

jeremy1456

Wow, Vita actually held its spiked position for a second week. That's probably the most surprising thing here. Soul Sacrifice did very well though.

It's surprising that it only held it's spot.

I wonder how big the drop would have been without Soul Sacrifice. Would it have sold 40k? 30k? Maybe even drop down so low as 20k?

Clov

Very surprised-and happy- at Vita and Soul Sacrifice's sales! I hope it at least manages to stabilize a bit, since I can't imagine it hanging on to #1 for much longer.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We'll probably know how much Vita could drop from this week in two days, when the full Media Create report will come, and then we'll know about how many bundles have been sold.

donny2112

I don't know why everyone is praising the vita.

Considering the foreseeable future of the system, it's either get hyped up about the numbers this week or risk never being able to be hyped up about the numbers. Take the opportunities that come along, basically.

Except IT IS. You don't need to be special to not get it from videos or impressions.

See the Japanese thread and impressions from Kyofu (MH player) to see the differences. It's a game from the same genre, but completely different approach.

The only similarity is that they are Hunting Action games (4 players against a monster). It ends there.

Soul Sacrifice has been developed to create the anti-Monster Hunter. This is enough to classify it as a Monster Hunter clone, which it is. Then of course, it's not the same game (we saw worse clones), but the aim was to attract the Monster Hunter fanbase.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Vita looking good, and Sony domination in the sales charts. Time to jump onboard third parties, there's money to be made!

namDa65

Considering the foreseeable future of the system, it's either get hyped up about the numbers this week or risk never being able to be hyped up about the numbers. Take the opportunities that come along, basically.

I see, I just want to hear future releases, seems barren :(. Im getting SS day1, maybe muramasa, and Ys day 1. and that's all I can look forward to.

muu

Soul Sacrifice has been developed to create the anti-Monster Hunter. This is enough to classify it as a Monster Hunter clone, which it is. Then of course, it's not the same game (we saw worse clones), but the aim was to attract the Monster Hunter fanbase.

The advertising certainly speaks for itself. I'd imagine the sales would have been nowhere near as impressive if they weren't pretending to be selling a reskinned MH.

liger05

There are no other games announced at this point with as much draw as Soul Sacrifice.

Hardware spikes are a dangerous thing because they give people false hope.

This one in particular is causing a lot of fans of the platform to throw logic out the door with talks of the system stabilizing.

When the Wii U gets a spike you wont see anywhere near the same reaction.

Mario007

Those 120k units that makes the difference between completely doomed console to healthy environment for third parties :p

Doing the numbers that Vita did in the past 2 months in just 2 weeks is pretty impressive. We'll have to see how it develops further. If it can be in that 15k-20k region in weeks where there's nothing released for it, then the system is in a healthy enough place to keep support.

Haha yeah nintendo fans are kinda cute when it comes to these things. Vita gets a boost from a new title: 'Wait for next week and things will be shit again, it's only one game'. Wii U has bad numbers: 'Can't wait for Pikmin and Mario to provide the hardware boost'.

KAL2006

Banned
Have Sony thought about releasing a platinum line up for old Vita software that has potential to pick up sales. Gravity Rush, Hot Shots, Dynasty Warriors and etc all should have an official price drop to go along with the hardware price drop.

Thorgal

Vita nr 1 spot ?

ss 100.000 +?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH YYYYYYYYEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem... pardon the outburst .

Spiegel

Have Sony thought about releasing a platinum line up for old Vita software that has potential to pick up sales. Gravity Rush, Hot Shots, Dynasty Warriors and etc all should have an official price drop to go along with the hardware price drop.

Yes, in April.

Redhood

Don't platinum titles need to sell 1m+. and at sony awards although persona 4, uncharted 4, miku were awarded as best selling titles. None of them were awarded platinum. :( Gravity rush was the worst seller. Typical sony sending out a good ip to die. Lets hope sequel is promoted.

Yes, in April.

Really? Source?

It´s not because they want to keep things fresh. Like Level5 they love to milk their new franchises with several sequels on the same console. When they milked them dry and aren´t profitable anymore -> a new cow.

Funny you mention level5 because most of the franchises Level 5 has done for playstation platforms are either published or owned by Sony.

I think their reason was to keep development costs down on the 3DS vs. Vita.

MH3G on 3DS + Vita would've still sold less than MHP3. What matters is how MH4 and future titles sell, not another game in the MH3 series.

Vita isn't PSP just because it can play its downloadable releases. Just as the 3DS being capable of playing the vast quality back catalogue of DS didn't help it one bit before it got its own games. Maybe another PSP game could have repeated 3rd's success (most of it in retail, not digital distribution), maybe it couldn't. We'll never find out at this point and it was only going to be one more at best anyway. Given the necessity to move to the next portable gen at some point they chose what they thought is best. They also seem to have chosen wisely. So, yes, it all sounds very logical. Maybe Vita at some point will justify a change in direction. If it does, it will happen, so you don't need to worry about that. For now just enjoy Sony's MH clones in SS, Toukiden, God Eater 2, etc, even if most are ports from PSP. They're clearly pushing them in hopes of getting a piece of that player pie.

Ok people. Read my post again. I was talking about the choice to move away from the PSP considering each entry sold higher than the one before. Because of the Vita's ability to play digital PSP releases I was stating that they coould have not only tried to recapture sales on PSP but also get a bit of the attention and sales from Vita owners as well.

I was not stating that they should make a game for the Vita. I was saying it was more logical to make another PSP game and then tried to port it.

Maedhros

This right here is enough for the general public to classify it as a Monster Hunter clone.

But not a new genre right?

Well, fuck me then. Every similar game must be a MH clone now.

Soriku

Demon Souls Portable makes too much sense not to happen.

There isn't much else they can do with the IP (with Dark Souls being on consoles).

Why? They'd continue to be much more successful making the Souls games for HD consoles.

jeremy1456

The thing is, Nintendo has several big games on the horizon for the Wii U. Almost all are significantly bigger than Soul Sacrifice, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Senran Kagura. Combined.

The Wii U stands a significantly better chance of making an all out comeback than the Vita.

Spiegel

Don't platinum titles need to sell 1m+. and at sony awards although persona 4, uncharted 4, miku were awarded as best selling titles. None of them were awarded platinum. :( Gravity rush was the worst seller. Typical sony sending out a good ip to die. Lets hope sequel is promoted.

Really? Source?

Dynasty Warriors (the best edition) is getting released in April 25th. I read a list with many others (Ridge Racer, Everybody's Golf,...) but now I can't find it.

http://books.rakuten.co.jp/rb/12238429/

So are you defining a niche title to be one that doesn't move hardware to any degree? (Actually, I thought the Assassin's Creed White Vita Bundle did pretty well over here around the Holidays but I'm not sure how many were produced) Because 600k+ for a title does not seem to indicate "niche" to me.

I do wonder how many of the AC:3 Liberation bundle were sold over the holidays and how many more of that same bundle would have been sold if the price were $199. I imagine we'll see such a bundle later this year as I expect that will be the price point before too long.

Niche is a somewhat nebulous term, I admit. Certainly not niche in the sense of Neptunia or other otaku games, but niche relative to what comparable titles sold on PSP from 2005-2008, and relative to what Sony needs for Vita to become a viable and commercially relevant platform in the West.

Also, the bundles were $199 for Black Friday. It didn't help very much.

MarkusRJR

Haha yeah nintendo fans are kinda cute when it comes to these things. Vita gets a boost from a new title: 'Wait for next week and things will be shit again, it's only one game'. Wii U has bad numbers: 'Can't wait for Pikmin and Mario to provide the hardware boost'.
There's an equal amount of crazies on both sides of the Nintendo/Sony fandom, so don't go claiming it's just Nintendo fans. There are tons of Sony fans who do the same thing in regards to the PS Vita (and don't you remember the insane PS3 fanboys in regards to PS3 sales). I don't think anyone but the hardcore Nintendo fans believe Pikmin will provide a consistent raise in Wii U sales beyond a week or two (hell I'm not sure it'll even be a decent raise in numbers at all since the title is kind of niche). 3D Mario is a maybe a different story but that's a holiday title...

Consistent big titles are what the Wii U and Vita need, and neither or them are getting them so they aren't doing the best. The Wii U seems to be getting a tons of titles in Q3 and onward, so that's why more people in sales threads are more optimistic in terms of Wii U's long term success when compared to the Vita which has a rather paltry line up and has had low sales for so long.

rouken

its good sales for vita, but doesn't sales really spike when a big title comes out?

i mean i've seen vita software chart that high last year and vita sales go up at that week but then it suddenly go down again.

BadWolf

Why? They'd continue to be much more successful making the Souls games for HD consoles.

HD consoles already have Dark Souls.

Demon Souls (which is a separate IP owned by Sony) isn't different enough to warrant having them both.

Demon Souls on a handheld would be a completely different story though.

AniHawk

wow, vita's really doing well recently. i don't think i ever expected to see it above 3ds, although sony basically had to make the cosmos align for that to happen.

i think this could raise its floor a bit, from 10k to 20k. that would be enough to ensure getting games for a couple of years in japan. the situation overseas is still dire though.

But not a new genre right?

Well, fuck me then. Every similar game must be a MH clone now.

Look at the circumstances. Vita didn't have a Monster Hunter anymore. Hunting actions is one of the most popular genre on handheld. It's been advertised as a Monster Hunter clone. The genre is the same, the feeling is the same. Also the fact that the local co-op has been so advertised speaks for itself. I mean, what's wrong with that? Pokémon received hundreds of clones, and some of them succeeded.

Doing the numbers that Vita did in the past 2 months in just 2 weeks is pretty impressive. We'll have to see how it develops further. If it can be in that 15k-20k region in weeks where there's nothing released for it, then the system is in a healthy enough place to keep support.

I repeat: 120k units don't mean so much in the overall framework. Vita must sell steadily a respectable number of units on a weekly basis to be considered by developers. It's not that third parties see two weeks at 60k and they start to roll games.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I was going to come in and say that both of my predictions were wrong and that everyone should be happy to see Vita moving some units but then I read on and saw how many people are trying to kill vibes. Are people not allowed to be happy that a platform they invested in sells well from a new release?

Vita is still lower than I hoped, I find it amusing that it is cause for celebration

What is this shit?

I was going to come in and say that both of my predictions were wrong and that everyone should be happy to see Vita moving some units but then I read on and saw how many people are trying to kill vibes. Are people not allowed to be happy that a platform they invested in sells well from a new release?

This is a sales thread. I can understand if people celebrate in Official Thread. But here, figures should be critically analyzed. For me, it's a great result for Vita, but nothing that changed really things. The GameCube sold 129,377 units the week Melee was released. Did something change?

People are so used of Vita doing bad numbers they're now crazy about it pulling normal numbers. Think long term people. Vita was supposed to do more considering Sony just triggered their big MH killer and biggest Vita game in Japan this year.

People are impressed by mediocre numbers. The Vita just received a massive price drop and its biggest exclusive of the year, yet it barely beat the 3DS in overall sales.

No, I wouldn't call them "mediocre numbers". They're fine for what they are, but they should be higher considering the situation. I think the most "impressive" thing is more like Vita being first.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This is a sales thread. I can understand if people celebrate in Official Thread. But here, figures should be critically analyzed. For me, it's a great result for Vita, but nothing that changed really things. The GameCube sold 129,377 units the week Melee was released. Did something change?

It's obvious that real test is whether these numbers sustain for the next few weeks but I just find it hypocritical that people are questioning people being happy about Vita's current sales when those same people would be jumping up and down if a major release for Wii U came out and Wii U rose to Heaven. In any case, this is getting off topic.

Mung

Ha! You can't spin this particular week to a negative to matter how hard you try. The overall performance of the Vita is a different matter.

Top Bottom