• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

DaBoss

^ Depends on what kind of game the third parties are making. 3DS is more of a toy than the 3DS XL and developers of certain mature/dudebro games will probably consider that.

..............................OK............................

They would be system sellers but it seems quite a lot already bought it for Monster Hunter etc anyway.

Look at these weekly sales for the PSP Monster Hunters:
Monster Hunter Portable: 668,964
Monster Hunter Portable (BEST): 290,904
Monster Hunter Portable (BEST Reprint): 162,736
Total: 1,122,604

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd: 1,720,397

Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G: 2,452,111
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST): 1,110,614
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (BEST Reprint): 592,747
Total: 4,155,472

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd: 4,502,446
Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (BEST): 299,008
Total: 4,801,454

Everyone did not buy a 3DS for Monster Hunter and you will see that when you look at Monster Hunter 4's LTD eventually passing MH3G's.

BAH, just looked at the other posts, you're almost posting like Laguna.

Skyzard

Banned
^ But now that it has established such a following doesn't it seem likely that Nintendo announcing MH for the 3DS early would have caused many owners to pick one up, considering it launched earlier than the Vita too.

Father_Brain said:
Maybe if (when) Killzone bombs, people will finally accept that the audience that made Liberty City Stories and Ghost of Sparta huge hits on PSP is never, ever coming back to dedicated handhelds, not in anything resembling those numbers.

COD sold more than AC obviously and AC sold like 600K didn't it.

That audience doesn't have to come back in as huge numbers. Vita arguably appeals to an even older demographic with much more free cash.

People forget that even though PSP sales weren't huge, the majority of PSP owners pirated. It's clear from the target audience of the device, how much better the psp device was when it was modded which allowed piracy and by looking at any youtube video for any psp game and reading the comments. Vita doesn't have that problem. People have much more reason to keep updating with the Vita thanks to online connectivity as well as all the extra security measures Sony implemented. That's why we see the small userbase having such a high attach rate compared to the 3DS which has a different appeal.

Pokemon numbers will be out of this world, they will go nuts with bundles, marketing and all that crap

The Pokemon userbase is fucking huge and dedicated

So dedicated they already bought a 3DS or two.

COD sold more than AC obviously and AC sold like 600K didn't it.

That audience doesn't have to come back in as huge numbers. Vita arguably appeals to an even older demographic with much more free cash.

People forget that even though PSP sales weren't huge, the majority of PSP owners pirated. It's clear from the target audience of the device, how much better the psp device was when it was modded which allowed piracy and by looking at any youtube video for any psp game and reading the comments. Vita doesn't have that problem. People have much more reason to keep updating with the Vita thanks to online connectivity as well as all the extra security measures Sony implemented. That's why we see the small userbase having such a high attach rate compared to the 3DS which has a different appeal.

What is vita and 3ds attach rate?

hongcha

Hongcha - what ratio would you guess the 3DS popularity amongst children is between size and cost?

I can't speak to a specific ratio (not even a guess), but the size is clearly more appealing to kids, and the price is more appealing to parents, compared to the LL. 3DS also has the strongest library of games that children want, though there's plenty of appeal in the PSP's extensive library too. The Vita? Not even close.

BriBri

I can't speak to a specific ratio (not even a guess), but the size is clearly more appealing to kids, and the price is more appealing to parents, compared to the LL. 3DS also has the strongest library of games that children want, though there's plenty of appeal in the PSP's extensive library too. The Vita? Not even close.
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to make a reasonable guess between size and price. A new original/smaller model model would make sense for X & Y.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Crash was pretty popular in Japan wasn't he? He was basically designed for them from what I heard.

Now we must focus to Vita's savior and this thread is complete:

Crash Bandicoot

You have to admit, that uproar with PSASBR's roster and the subsequent threads about Activision, Sony and Crash.

hiska-kun

Just noticed this now.

We know MC don't count download card sales, while Famitsu does. So, could we say that Luigi's Mansion 2 sold around 20k copies thorugh download cards?

I wouldn't say that because if we take Paper Mario:

Media Create week ending February 24th:

[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800) - 5.157 / 530.100 (-25%)

Famitsu ending February 24th:

[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800) - 3.770 / 501.186 (-26%)

So, it seems the typical MC and Famitsu discrepancy.

DaBoss

^ But now that it has established such a following doesn't it seem likely that Nintendo announcing MH for the 3DS early would have caused many owners to pick one up, considering it launched earlier than the Vita too.

With your logic, then that means there shouldn't have a big jump when MH4 will hit the 3DS? And along with that, it means the PSP shouldn't have had a big jump when MHP3rd hit......but wait it did!!!

Week before MHP3rd release: 73,521
Week of MHP3rd relase: 327,905

Lots of people who wants to play a certain game will wait for that certain game to be released and then buy the hardware.

Now we must focus to Vita's savior and this thread is complete:

Crash Bandicoot

:lol

You have to admit, that uproar with PSASBR's roster and the subsequent threads about Activision, Sony and Crash.

Yes, cause NeoGAF represents the general masses...

I'm just a lurker in these threads but have to comment on some of the Vita posts here.
I mean, three weeks of Vita sales going from horrible to somewhat OK or respectable and it's already on track to overtake the 3DS, really? Some people get carried away way too easily.

Vita did about half of what the 3DS did this week, it just had a price cut and its biggest game so far released, and there's nothing else announced that could really sustain the sales it has now. How can you go from that to overtaking the 3DS, the system that has Monster Hunter and Pokémon coming, in weekly sales? Think about that for a minute, how could that possibly make any sense?

Oh, I see the thread has been Lagunafied again this week.

Not sure if posted.
4yjtJpm.png

it's kinda hilarious to see how someone is trying to not admit that PSV had a god momentum since price drop and some game been released :p

Spiegel

Two highest FW sell-throughs of 2012

3DS Run For Money - 96.83% (of 30600)
3DS Animal Crossing - 96.09% (of 627600)

source: Media-Create White Paper via geimin.net

I wouldn't say that because if we take Paper Mario:

Media Create week ending February 24th:

[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800) - 5.157 / 530.100 (-25%)

Famitsu ending February 24th:

[3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800) - 3.770 / 501.186 (-26%)

So, it seems the typical MC and Famitsu discrepancy.

...Paper Mario also had download cards.

Also, lol, 3DS has peaked. Ok, sure. Every ES I go to and talk about video games here, about 30% of the kids are still on DS.

EDIT: Twitter says a few people bought G&W online because it was up early. Some people just aren't interested though.

hiska-kun

Two highest FW sell-throughs of 2012

3DS Run For Money - 96.83% (of 30600)
3DS Animal Crossing - 96.09% (of 627600)

source: Media-Create White Paper via geimin.net

No Media Create Top 500 yet? They seem to like to make us suffer, just revealing information little by little.

...Paper Mario also had download cards.

I was trying to say that we can't assume that Luigi's Mansion 2 has sold 20k download cards mixing MC and Famitsu numbers, because Paper Mario also have Download cards and it's even higher according to Media Create.

Rolf NB

so now people can stop calling it gamecube 2.0

wii u is in a league of its own at the very bottom.
It will eventually slightly exceed Gamecube sales, if only because it launched at a higher price, so naturally there will be more price drops during its lifetime.

Zen

Banned
I'm just a lurker in these threads but have to comment on some of the Vita posts here.
I mean, three weeks of Vita sales going from horrible to somewhat OK or respectable and it's already on track to overtake the 3DS, really? Some people get carried away way too easily.

Vita did about half of what the 3DS did this week, it just had a price cut and its biggest game so far released, and there's nothing else announced that could really sustain the sales it has now. How can you go from that to overtaking the 3DS, the system that has Monster Hunter and Pokémon coming, in weekly sales? Think about that for a minute, how could that possibly make any sense?

I think it's hugely encouraging if the blasted thing can survive until the 3DS saturates, it could have a PSP like rebirth in Japan. People will buy it and games for it, they just need the games.

Skyzard

Banned
I truly am interested in knowing vitas amazing attach ratio if you dont mind

Who knows, but let's have a look at userbase and game sales for both platforms with the two big recent games:

With 10.9 M, 280K
with 1.4 M, 90K

So despite having nearly 8x the userbase, it only sold 3x as much. Pretty big difference if you ask me.

It's like every 1 vita owner is worth 3 3ds owners, to a developer/publisher.

It will eventually slightly exceed Gamecube sales, if only because it launched at a higher price, so naturally there will be more price drops during its lifetime.

This assumes Nintendo will be able to get wiiu to a pretty low price and with the controller I wonder how low it will actually go
Who knows, but let's have a look at userbase and game sales for both platforms with the two big recent games:

With 10.9 M, 280K
with 1.4 M, 90K

So despite having nearly 8x the userbase, it only sold 3x as much. Pretty big difference if you ask me.

I figured you were talking from your ass but thanks for confirming. This takes the cake for worst logic of 2013 easily

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

With 10.9 M, 280K
with 1.4 M, 90K

You hit new lows with every new post. Better take a break from sales threads.

With 10.9 M, 280K
with 1.4 M, 90K

The gaps of logic in this post are more like galaxy-sized chasms.

With 10.9 M, 280K
with 1.4 M, 90K

Please, stop this nonsense.

Developers and publishers know that 3DS has a 11 million userbase, and development costs are lower, with a high chance of selling well.
A lot of third parties have succeeded on 3DS, that's why 2013 is packed with games from them, and Vita has almost nothing relevant.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
even though it looks kinda crappy, it's also the first 3d pokemon in the proper line. after 17 years, it's the first real noticeable jump.

that's right, 17 years.

Disagree. 3rd gen Pokémon games were below average graphically for the GBA while 4th gen games were about average looking for a DS game and the difference is night and day.

...Lots of complaints, not many explanations as usual.

Explaining stuff to the profoundly ignorant is not worth the hassle.

You've been pulling this shit for months now, and are quite content to sit in your own little bubble. Please, leave the sales talk to people who even vaguely know what they're talking about.

...Lots of complaints, not many explanations as usual.

Explanation: You completely fail to take into consideration the size of the fan-base of each 'big release' and its presence on the system, as a start. And the appeal of the game itself. Your assumption that one 'big release' sold 1/3 of another 'big release' on another system, therefore the first system has a more worthwhile userbase to devs is asinine.

"Animal Crossing has sold roughly two times the amount of copies as Vita has units, therefore 3DS users are worth X2 as much to developers" is an equally stupid statement.

Nekki

Guys, let's encourage discussion in these threads, if we shush every single person with an opinion, no wonder sales-age will be seen as an elitist bunch and nev---

With 10.9 M, 280K
with 1.4 M, 90K

2dAWh.gif

There's also a better than average chance that MH 4 and XY both get new colored 3DSLLs.

I wouldn't be vastly surprised if the XY worldwide release came hand-in-hand with a big 3DS revision rollout, to replace the standard 3DS.

Man, the carnage that would cause.

Top Bottom