• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

serplux

Great qualities for a developer, but not necessarily for president.

If push comes to shove, though, I still want him at Nintendo. And I want the person they replace him with to have as much of a passion for video games as he does. Unlike ole Reggie here in America.

If Sony kills the PSP right now like Nintendo killed the Wii and DS, the 3DS is the one that would have an increased baseline, not the PSV IMO.

Yes

People buying PSP are not buying 3DS
Studios making PSP games are not making 3DS games
Money spent on PSP games is not spent on 3DS.

So PSP is more or less buying time for PSV like PS2 did for PS3 in early years.

^^^^ HAHAHAHAH god damn

That dude will still come back with some lols and some inane, insane, illogical reply. Probably just to annoy people.

Just noticed this now.

We know MC don't count download card sales, while Famitsu does. So, could we say that Luigi's Mansion 2 sold around 20k copies thorugh download cards?

No we can't say that. There are discrepancies between the two trackers every week. You are incorrectly jumping to conclusions IMO.

April: Game & Wario, Wii Fit U
May: W101, DKCR 3D
June: Pikmin 3, Animal Crossing
July: Wii Party U
August: Mario & Luigi 4
September: Wind Waker HD, Kirby 3DS
October: Yarn Yoshi, Pokemon X/Y
November: EAD Tokyo Mario, Zelda 3DS
December: Mario Kart U

This is what I'm expecting, but Wii Sports U instead of Yarn Yoshi. With the little footage we got, I'm not confident it'll release this year.

wrowa

This is the guy who programmed Earthbound from scratch in its entirety when it was going to be canned. The guy who compressed Pokemon Gold/Silver by hand with so much room left the entire Kanto region was added in. The guy who built the battle code of Pokemon Stadium without any of the crucial documents in a single week.

Maybe he shouldn't be the president, but I do not want him gone.

If I remember correctly, Sakurai and Iwata also programmed Smash Bros during their weekends because no one at Nintendo was sold on the concept.

He's a pretty cool dude, that's not debatable.

However, I think most people vastly overestimate his influence over Nintendo's strategy. I'm pretty confident that Nintendo's board made sure that Yamauchi wouldn't be followed up by another dictator. That's why I don't think there would be much sense in replacing him, since it's very likely that Nintendo's strategy wouldn't actually change. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the reasons why Nintendo is in its current situation is that they are missing someone in charge who actually has the power to push concepts through -- not because Iwata lacks vision, but because most of the power is in the hands of the board. That would explain why everything seems to take so fucking long at Nintendo.

big youth

Suppose you own some Nintendo stock.

Iwata promises to get Nintendo into a certain realm of profitability by the end of March, 2014.
Now picture a scenario where he completely fails and Nintendo flounders for yet another year.

What investor ISN'T going to request his leave?? CEO's exist to make the company PROFITABLE.

I actually do own stock in Nintendo. However I might have a different perspective than some others, because I consider it a long term option. I like the various trump cards Nintendo has in the future to assure certain levels of success.

Nintendo's expectation of $1 billion in profit this year seems to me yet another overzealous prediction that only leads to frustration for me. It's an arbitrary number that's somewhat meaningless to myself and Nintendo, but unfortunately it will likely affect us both negatively, as shareholders sell off their stock when the number falls short, as is usually the case. I like Iwata but am not against change. I especially don't like how much of a debacle Wii U is considering all the obvious opportunities they skipped or fouled up. For example in NA releasing a late bundle for an old game (ZombiU....who does this? really) but not for a new, Nintendo published LEGO game....come on.

Afrit

one interesting conversation from last week MC thread regarding the possibility of vita sales going up:-

so its safe to assume that whoever think vita sales will be better next week due to one piece is over optimistic?

Yes it's not big enough to counter post price drop and post big game release fall.

3 other vita games released along with one piece. Check out amazon japan, two vita models are in the top 15, higher than any other hardware including the 3ds. So, I expect higher vita hardware sales this week over last week. 40-50k.

Amazon data....

Vita sales arent going up.

Dead or Alive port, Muramasa port and Sei Madou Monogatari?

Honestly, I don't think they will have any impact at all.

I don't see One Piece (also being on PS3) and what else this past week raising Vita sales (remind me what came out), I see it around 20k, lower would be surprising.

If OPM2 was supposed to be the Vita's next biggest game, someone forgot to tell Bandai Namco and Sony.

hongcha, you got it right.

If I remember correctly, Sakurai and Iwata also programmed Smash Bros during their weekends because no one at Nintendo was sold on the concept.

He's a pretty cool dude, that's not debatable.

However, I think most people vastly overestimate his influence over Nintendo's strategy. I'm pretty confident that Nintendo's board made sure that Yamauchi wouldn't be followed up by another dictator. That's why I don't think there would be much sense in replacing him, since it's very likely that Nintendo's strategy wouldn't actually change. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the reasons why Nintendo is in its current situation is that they are missing someone in charge who actually has the power to push concepts through. That would explain why everything seems to take so fucking long at Nintendo.

Then they need to replace him ever more with someone with clear vision on how to handle rise of smartphones and tablets.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
By the way, what are everyone's expectations for DQ next week? I'd say that below 20k systems and 100k copies of the game should be the absolute minimum. There seems to be a vested effort to downplay the game, but it's far and away the most significant third party release we know of left for the system, it underperforming could have significant implications on future software announced from here on.

100k first week for DQX will need a miracle.

Then they need to replace him ever more with someone with clear vision on how to handle rise of smartphones and tablets.

Does such a person exist, who will maintain Nintendo's handheld dominance and turn back that tide? I doubt it. The current strategy of giving people content they want, and lots of it, is the 3DS's best shout, for my tastes, and the 3DS lineup this year is packed.

How to square a variably successful portable product with a flatlining home console and show a consistent lineup for both is Nintendo's biggest challenge at the moment.

90% of your posts are targeted at 'people' rather than a discussion. The other 10% are exactly the type of posts you never shut up about, example:

This is a statement said with zero substance, not even a single theory or explanation as to why you think that way. A complete troll post designed to get reactions out of people.

Could you just stop? Your contribution to these discussions are welcome and you make a lot of valid points but those of us who aren't on a 'side of the fence' find it intolerable to read the threads when it's full of this shit. See:

When we found out Wii U had only mediocre launch numbers in France instead of outright horrible like the rest of the EU:

Weird Nintendo domination fantasy posts:

And finally:

But I will. :)

Wow. Well done good sir. :D

wrowa

Suppose you own some Nintendo stock.

Iwata promises to get Nintendo into a certain realm of profitability by the end of March, 2014.
Now picture a scenario where he completely fails and Nintendo flounders for yet another year.

What investor ISN'T going to request his leave?? CEO's exist to make the company PROFITABLE.

While this is true, it's also true that Nintendo is currently in a very difficult situation without an easy solution. There's no simple way for Nintendo back to success right now, that's quite obvious. If investors understand that -- and when they invested a lot of money into Nintendo, they should be well informed enough to know that -- they might be satisfied if Nintendo can prove being on the right track next year.

However, with the talk of a 1 billion profit Iwata might have made a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't think both getting the Wii U back on track and making a huge profit is possible. It's quite clear that Nintendo needs to be very aggressive in the 2nd half of the year.

I do think that 2013 might become 3DS's most successful year yet internationally and I also think that Nintendo potentially has the right games for the second half of the year to get the Wii U rolling if they are also willing to cut the price drastically, though.

Maybe he has the vision. Maybe he has not. If everything gets lost during discussions on the board, we couldn't tell either way. And it wouldn't make a difference.

Trigonx

one interesting conversation from last week MC thread regarding the possibility of vita sales going up:-

hongcha, you got it right.

here is my quote from the last MC thread, I was pretty close.

Regarding the Vita, I don't see it dropping below 30k next week. There is a small chance it could have a small bump, well not too much past 40k. It may not be getting exclusives this week but it is getting quality multiplats and a port. Konami Baseball Spirits 2013(too bad Japan didn't win the WBC), One Piece Kaizoku Musou 2, and DOA5+. Of course these are not system sellers, but they can be what pushes someone who is on the fence to buy a vita. But in 2 weeks.... It doesn't look too good for the vita with no games for quite a stretch. Will the decline be quick or will it be more gradual?

I just hope it doesn't drop like it did after P4G and Hatsune Miku.

but then i predicted 34k this morning one hour before the numbers released, I should have stayed with the chance of increasing.

By the way, what are everyone's expectations for DQ next week? I'd say that below 20k systems and 100k copies of the game should be the absolute minimum. There seems to be a vested effort to downplay the game, but it's far and away the most significant third party release we know of left for the system, it underperforming could have significant implications on future software announced from here on.

It's late port of a game which can already be played on Wii U and if you don't have Wii U you need to spend 40k yens to upgrade.

It's even in worse position than PS3 hd collection (orginals can't be played on PS3) and worse than delayed Vita PS3 ports (as it at least has handheld vs stationary angle to sell).

100k first week implies 170-200k lifetime - than would be half of original.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I wonder if Sony can use this to try and convince 3PP to dump more trash multiplats onto the platform. That and H-games should allow Vita to get over 9000 a week!

Top:

-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: a 300k units debut is not something many games have had lately. Luigi is not Mario, and this is not an holiday period, but still it opened doubling the last Paper Mario. Also, the strength of the IP was unproven because the last, and only, entry dates back to 12 years ago. So incredible result, it will cross half a million easily.

-Vita hardware: nice hold for Vita, indeed. I expected it would have sold less this week. It also got 4 games, so that's well explained.

Flop:

-One Piece: it sold less than half of what the previous one did. Bad word of mouth probably, since apparently the game was not so good.

-Dead or Alive 5 Plus: the series is really declining. 5 did not do so hot either, but it's weird to see now Dimensions revaluated, since back then it was considered a flop while now, with it almost 50k units, it can be considered an average performance.

-Soul Sacrifice/ it seems Inafune's game is not having legs at all. Well, for me it was expected, but many people thought it was the game to sell Vita. Apprently, it's not outside the launch week.

Just noticed this now.

We know MC don't count download card sales, while Famitsu does. So, could we say that Luigi's Mansion 2 sold around 20k copies thorugh download cards?

Imo, no. We always had differences in unit sold (just look at all the other games) so it's not possible to say that the gap is likely due to download cards.

Top:

Soul Sacrifice/ it seems Inafune's game is not having legs at all. Well, for me it was expected, but many people thought it was the game to sell Vita. Apprently, it's not outside the launch week.

27./22. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 5.947 / 248.335 (+3%)
29./25. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 5.051 / 1.995.299 (+20%)

Those are games considered as evergreens with huge legs right ?

They are selling 5-6% of what their platform does.

Nekki

27./22. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) # <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 5.947 / 248.335 (+3%)
29./25. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 5.051 / 1.995.299 (+20%)

I squinted hard to see if there was a hidden message, but nope, I still can't see what your point is.

saichi

8WtxyXb.gif

when was this? it's hilarious

Typically they dont drop as fast as SS is, but maybe next week will show better legs.

BriBri

I squinted hard to see if there was a hidden message, but nope, I still can't see what your point is.
Me too.

And just a 14,000 increase in the original 3DS for the new colours. Seems like the LL really is the more desired hardware.

Afrit

here is my quote from the last MC thread, I was pretty close.

but then i predicted 34k this morning one hour before the numbers released, I should have stayed with the chance of increasing.

I missed that. Frankly, I was skeptical myself about any vita increases.

I actually do own stock in Nintendo. However I might have a different perspective than some others, because I consider it a long term option. I like the various trump cards Nintendo has in the future to assure certain levels of success.

Nintendo's expectation of $1 billion in profit this year seems to me yet another overzealous prediction that only leads to frustration for me. It's an arbitrary number that's somewhat meaningless to myself and Nintendo, but unfortunately it will likely affect us both negatively, as shareholders sell off their stock when the number falls short, as is usually the case. I like Iwata but am not against change. I especially don't like how much of a debacle Wii U is considering all the obvious opportunities they skipped or fouled up. For example in NA releasing a late bundle for an old game (ZombiU....who does this? really) but not for a new, Nintendo published LEGO game....come on.

Nintendo's operating profits (negative numbers = operating loss) by year:

FY3/2004: 107,683
FY3/2005: 111,522
FY3/2006: 90,349
FY3/2007: 226,024
FY3/2008: 487,220
FY3/2009: 555,263
FY3/2010: 365,567
FY3/2011: 171,076

FY3/2012: -37,320
FY3/2013: -20,000 (projected)
FY3/2014: 100,000 (Iwata's commitment)

(Units of measurement = Millions of yen)

The thing is, Nintendo's projections aren't unreasonable at all. In fact, their 2014 FY prediction is around 60% of what they made in 2011.

100 billion yen SHOULD NOT be a hard target for Nintendo to achieve, especially given their history throughout the past decade.

It's perfectly reasonable for an investor to be upset + want Iwata out if Iwata can't achieve this.

Typically they dont drop as fast as SS is, but maybe next week will show better legs.

I know. But SS is dropping slower than typical Vita game. And even if it becomes system seller we won't know before end of 2013 as it will be doing so at 1-2k levels.

100 billion yen SHOULD NOT be a hard target for Nintendo to achieve, especially given their history throughout the past decade.

It's perfectly reasonable for an investor to be upset if Iwata can't achieve this.

Aren't they selling hardware with worst profit margins in history of Nintendo ?
3DS at small profit
Wii U at small loses before eventual price cut

Celestial

Banned
I´m surprised that people are surprised that PSV didn´t completely falter this week. Especially since One Piece has been mentioned several times in prior threads as an "important" PSV title. Also looking at the releases this week it had one of the stongest weeks release wise since its release. Obviously a lot better than last weeks releases and the holiday was a nice extra. So in that context I think it´s a little funny to see that some can´t hold back their enthusiasm for merely 37k-41k units sold.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 60.315 / NEW
Atelier Meruru Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 3 25.095 / NEW
Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 23.621 / NEW [/b]
Dead or Alive 5+ 13.291 / NEW [/b]
--------------------------------------------
Soul Sacrifice 15.488 / 137.006

AGCCF.gif

Operating profits (negative numbers = operating loss) by yearb:

FY3/2004: 107,683
FY3/2005: 111,522
FY3/2006: 90,349
FY3/2007: 226,024
FY3/2008: 487,220
FY3/2009: 555,263
FY3/2010: 365,567
FY3/2011: 171,076

FY3/2012: -37,320
FY3/2013: -20,000 (projected)
FY3/2014: 100,000 (Iwata's commitment)

(Units of measurement = Millions of yen)

The thing is, Nintendo's projections aren't unreasonable at all. In fact, their 2014 FY prediction is around 60% of what they made in 2011.

Nintendo has never had a year in the past 10 when one of their systems was losing money while the other one wasnt doing fantastically to pick up the slack, not to mention the vast increase in game development costs. I just dont see it being attainable if they have to pricecut.

test_account

XP-39C²
We are talking about 37k-41k units sold and not about something really extraordinary especially given the circumstances. I think we can agree that this week has been a lot stronger release wise than last week.

Also I think you know as well as I do that OnePiece was mentioned in different occations in prior MediaCreate threads when talking about PSVs potentially "bigger" releases and as it was released alongside some other games that appeal to specific niches and after knowing about the holiday I really don´t understand how anyone could have expected a significant drop this week.

The argument that those games wouldn´t do much on their own alone is valid one of course and something I agree with, because looking at the sales they didn´t sell that great, but obviously it´s a different matter when they releas together at the same time. So what I mean is that 4-5 releases released in the same week that appeal to specific niches and considering that this are actually among the stongest since launch it´s only reasonable to expect that thos will push some thousands handhelds.

And to conclude my post, in my past posts even prior to the price drop announcement I said in different occasions that March is going to be PSVs strongest month since launch sales wise, due to how the releases of most known games were concentrated in March.
I actually think that it is exactly because of the circumstances that makes 37k-41k something extraordinary in this case. The Vita has been proclaimed to be a dead system for many months, seeing a lot of weeks were it sold less than 10k. Many people are surprised about how the Vita is selling now because they did not expect this.

I'm not arguing against the points your making why the Vita sold like it did this week. There were some points going for the Vita why the drop wouldnt be big this week indeed, but not everyone thought these games would have much of an impact on the hardware sales. Can i ask why you didnt present these arguements last week when people talk about how the Vita wouldnt see an increase in sales? I think that would have made a better "impact" (or what i shall say) and then that prediction would also be correct this week as well :)

big youth

Top:
-Soul Sacrifice/ it seems Inafune's game is not having legs at all. Well, for me it was expected, but many people thought it was the game to sell Vita. Apprently, it's not outside the launch week.

It certainly seemed possible, and with no other significant Vita games on the horizon, can you blame people for hoping? As Tearaway nears release I hope people don't delude themselves into thinking it'll be anything close to a system seller. SS was the best chance Vita had.

as for Wii U in 2013, above even Mario 3D, I think Retro's game is what could change the tides in NA and EU. Based on their recent hires I'm expecting a very Western focused, online FPS. We have a good idea of what Mario's ceiling is, but a "Halo-killer" type of game could blow the lid off Wii U and lay the foundation for some successful Western games. With Retro, must-have is not at all out of reach, especially now that they are working with more capable hardware.

But who am I kidding, we're looking at a 2014 release. Mario 3D could squeeze into 2013, but I think Mario Kart is more likely.

Those games were released more than one year ago. Soul Sacrifice will be lucky to be in the Top 20 next month.

Trigonx

I missed that. Frankly, I was skeptical myself about any vita increases.

I wasn't at first, but as the week went on I did become slightly skeptical. However, next week I think it is definitely going to fall with only Oboro Muramasa releasing. I think it will still be over 30k, but barely.

I wasn't at first, but as the week went on I did become slightly skeptical. However, next week I think it is definitely going to fall with only Oboro Muramasa releasing. I think it will still be over 30k, but barely.

Seems reasonable. Then we will see the decline as Vita lineup becomes more and more barren, unless Sony has a hat trick they arent showing.

big youth

Of course Nintendo is a very unpredictable company, but a Wii U price drop this year would be quite surprising to me. Maybe they'll make the Deluxe Wii U the price of the Standard or something along those lines, but I don't see a SKU under $300 happening this year.

I think SS is actually holding pretty decently considering the Vita userbase. Maybe if the Vita can hold on, it'll benefit SS and/or vice versa.

An investor will only ask a CEO to leave if they believe someone else can make it more profitable.

Won't be hard to do looking at the fact that Nintendo is making no profit in the last reports, The writing is on the wall for Iwata, too bad as this way Miyamoto gets off the hook when is mostly his fault.

Won't be hard to do looking at the fact that Nintendo is making no profit in the last reports, The writing is on the wall for Iwata, too bad as this way Miyamoto gets off the hook when is mostly his fault.

I dont know how you came to that conclusion,but miyamoto will likely retire or be put in a much smaller role if iwata leaves.

Does the vita figure in the op include the bundle? Also the double pack sold 22k the first week, double that and it puts the vita at at least 180k. Add downloads and it should be well above 200k at this point.

Laguna

Banned
[3DS] Dead or Alive: Dimensions (Koei Tecmo) {2011.05.19} - 30.597 / 53.823

[PSV] Dead or Alive 5+ (Koei Tecmo) {2013.03.20} - 13.994 / NEW[/QUOTE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
-
That´s interesting since DoAD released at a time when the 3DS suffered its biggest difficulties and had a smaller userbase than PSV.

3DS hardware | week of release 17.240 | 18.324 | ltd 1.013.259
PSV hardware | week of release 41.073 | 36.028 | ltd 1.435.089

It´s concerning that it doesn´t sell well especially since it´s actually a competent fighting game, instead Senran Kagura beats it handily on both systems.

Top Bottom