• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

big youth

Wii U is abysmal right now. Iwata will likely be resigning next year. :-/

I could see it going either way. Despite the thread about it here on neogaf, I don't think he implied he would step down. Investors would have to start requesting it. And will they, especially after the huge success of Wii? He also turned the 3DS into a success, though NA investors don't always see it that way. I love him as a figurehead, but who knows, it might be a good change at this point.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You don't think some of them were pushed into next year to help keep game releases more steady/increase next year's profits? After all, as others have said, how much polish can Wii Fit need?

Yeah I assume their strategy now is to wait until June or July and start a huge push, but it's getting to the point where they have to start talking.

Baki

Another ridiculous post that can´t handle a point of view that goes farther than "dat Oled".

It is just obvious to everyone that you have an agenda rather than the desire to engage in intelligent discussion.

Back to the thread, does anyone know when God Eater 2 is coming out?

Bruno MB

This is actually really surprising, I would expect Sony fans to be more interested in DOA than Nintendo fans.

Where's Soul Calibur 3DS?

It seems that PS Vita users aren't interested in fighting games.

[PSV] Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Capcom) {2011.12.17} - ? / 7.753
[PSV] Street Fighter X Tekken (Capcom) {2012.10.25} - 4.813 / ?
[PSV] PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.01.31} - 5.210 / ?
[PSV] Dead or Alive 5+ (Koei Tecmo) {2013.03.20} - 13.994 / NEW

first surprise is that LM2 outsold OP2 PS3. I don't think anyone expected that a couple weeks ago.

second surprise is that VITA increased and over 40K. Impressive.

third surprise is that OP2 VITA is selling over 20% of OP2 PS3. Was expecting 15%.

More like 200K if we are talking about MC/Famitsu number.

Well that still excludes doubling the double pack sales which would probably add another 20k in units owned. Also the Vita is a first of its kind type device with regards to downloadable games. Every game is available to download and is easily accessible. Also SS fits the bill of a game that users would want on their Vita at all times and thus digital sales could be anywhere between 30-50k at this point. Which isn't too far fetched given the limited info we know about digital downloads on the Vita. so I think it has actually crossed 200k if you were to include all skus and it may not have as much retail legs because the digital version will offset it slightly.

Edit: actually that sku in the media create excludes the double pack all together, and perhaps the Vita bundle.

At this rate unless the Wii U suddenly starts selling 100k weekly while not slowing the 3DS momentum I doubt they'll be back to 1 billion in operating income by the end of the next fiscal year.

Most of Nintendo's business is during the 4th quarter. Honestly, that's really all that matters. If Q4 goes really well for them this year, they will easily make their $1 billion profit. 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and a very dense 3DS release schedule will make it very easy for them.

It's difficult to imagine now, but this is 3DS's peak year, and Pokemon X/Y and 3D Mario/ Mario Kart for Wii U will make all the difference in the world come November/ December.

serplux

There should be! I'm still surprised they haven't announced a new Direct yet. We haven't gotten Wii U news since January.

But maybe there's just nothing to say, lol.

I recall them being announced like 12 hours or less before they begin, so we still wouldn't know if there could be one tomorrow.

At this rate unless the Wii U suddenly starts selling 100k weekly while not slowing the 3DS momentum I doubt they'll be back to 1 billion in operating income by the end of the next fiscal year.

I think that, as long as they can stem the Wii U bleeding, 3DS and software will propel them over that mark. Within the next financial year, Nintendo will have Pokemon, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Mario and Luigi, Tomodatchi Collection, worldwide Animal Crossing, rumoured Smash Bros. and possible unannounced Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/whatever titles on the slate. Starting next month, it's probably the biggest concerted push for Nintendo software we've seen in a span of 12 months.

BriBri

03./00. [PS3] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥7.980) - 101.389 / NEW
04./00. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥3.980) - 80.618 / NEW
11./00. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥7.980) - 23.621 / NEW

Sales split among 3 platforms are a bit diffrent thing than split for 2 platforms.
(My) point being still, that PSP is Vita's biggest obstacle.

I could see it going either way. Despite the thread about it here on neogaf, I don't think he implied he would step down. Investors would have to start requesting it. And will they, especially after the huge success of Wii? He also turned the 3DS into a success, though NA investors don't always see it that way. I love him as a figurehead, but who knows, it might be a good change at this point.

Suppose you own some Nintendo stock.

Iwata promises to get Nintendo into a certain realm of profitability by the end of March, 2014.
Now picture a scenario where he completely fails and Nintendo flounders for yet another year.

What investor ISN'T going to request his leave?? CEO's exist to make the company PROFITABLE.

I recall them being announced like 12 hours or less before they begin, so we still wouldn't know if there could be one tomorrow.

I thought it was usually announced the morning before the morning of the Direct.

So like, say they're planning one for Friday morning at 9AM EST.

We won't know about it until Thursday morning.

big youth

Yeah I assume their strategy now is to wait until June or July and start a huge push, but it's getting to the point where they have to start talking.

I think Iwata basically outlined this strategy. And beyond this he has said blue ocean style games will hopefully make Wii U a phenomenon, just as Nintendogs did for the DS after being somewhat dormant.

as for NDs, it's amazing how frequent and exciting they've been, and how little we know.

serplux

Suppose you own some Nintendo stock.

Iwata promises to get Nintendo into a certain realm of profitability by the end of March, 2014.
Now picture a scenario where he completely fails and Nintendo flounders for yet another year.

What investor ISN'T going to request his leave?? CEO's exist to make the company PROFITABLE.

I wouldn't want him to leave the company entirely, if it comes to that. He's such a badass when it comes to programming, and really, really loves video games.

Laguna

Banned
There were also counter argumenets that those titles were too niche and wouldnt move much hardware. Also that those titles had a bigger chance to sell to the excisting Vita owners rather than boosting hardware sales, or being multiplatform (like One Piece).

We are talking about 37k-41k units sold and not about something really extraordinary especially given the circumstances. I think we can agree that this week has been a lot stronger release wise than last week.

Also I think you know as well as I do that OnePiece was mentioned in different occations in prior MediaCreate threads when talking about PSVs potentially "bigger" releases and as it was released alongside some other games that appeal to specific niches and after knowing about the holiday I really don´t understand how anyone could have expected a significant drop this week.

The argument that those games wouldn´t do much on their own alone is valid one of course and something I agree with, because looking at the sales they didn´t sell that great, but obviously it´s a different matter when they releas together at the same time. So what I mean is that 4-5 releases released in the same week that appeal to specific niches and considering that this are actually among the stongest since launch it´s only reasonable to expect that thos will push some thousands handhelds.

And to conclude my post, in my past posts even prior to the price drop announcement I said in different occasions that March is going to be PSVs strongest month since launch sales wise, due to how the releases of most known games were concentrated in March.

It is just obvious to everyone that you have an agenda rather than the desire to engage in intelligent discussion.

Back to the thread, does anyone know when God Eater 2 is coming out?

The most apparent difference is that I´m actually discussing instead of this ridiculous charade from some sad PSV fanboys.

BriBri

I wouldn't want him to leave the company entirely, if it comes to that. He's such a badass when it comes to programming, and really, really loves video games.
He really should be the face of the company I agree. Whether he should be the one making the business decisions is another matter. Maybe just be the Ronald Reagan face for the public?

nickcv

this week VS YTD

2X9TNND.png

WlthK6b.png

----------

UBbWvHi.png

4zkE2Ra.png

At the moment, I'm envisioning:

April: Pokemon Rumble U, Friend Collection: New Life
May: Wii Fit U, Band Brothers
June: Pikmin 3, Mario Golf: World Tour
July: TW101/Wii Party U, Donkey Country Returns 3D
August: The Wind Waker HD, Mario & Luigi 4
September: Yarn Yoshi, ???
October: Mario 3D, Pokemon X&Y
November: Mario Kart, Zelda 3DS
December: Nothing, Nothing
January: Nothing, Nothing
February: ???, Kirby 3DS/Metroid 3DS
March: ???, ???

But I'm willing to be surprised/disappointed.

Takao

Banned
I'd be fine with Iwata leaving. As a gamer, his Nintendo has been marked by underpowered platforms which have severely limited the software library of their home consoles, and the complete death of original character driven IPs.

Vita continues to surprise. If they actually had a decent lineup the system would actually be able to maintain the sales It will actually be interetin to see the baseline.

May: Game & Wario, W101
June: Pikmin 3, Animal Crossing
July: Wii Party U
August: Wii Fit U, Mario & Luigi 4
September: Wind Waker HD, Kirby 3DS
October: Yarn Yoshi, Pokemon X/Y
November: EAD Tokyo Mario, Zelda 3DS
December: Mario Kart U

BriBri

I know this is just you guesstimating but is there any reason why you got May for Band Brothers? I just assumed it was still a TBA and would've assumed May too early? I am open to being completely wrong however!

By the way, what are everyone's expectations for DQ next week? I'd say that below 20k systems and 100k copies of the game should be the absolute minimum. There seems to be a vested effort to downplay the game, but it's far and away the most significant third party release we know of left for the system, it underperforming could have significant implications on future software announced from here on.

It seems that PS Vita users aren't interested in fighting games.

[PSV] Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Capcom) {2011.12.17} - ? / 7.753
[PSV] Street Fighter X Tekken (Capcom) {2012.10.25} - 4.813 / ?
[PSV] Dead or Alive 5+ (Koei Tecmo) {2013.03.20} - 13.994 / NEW

Not saying yes or no, but all those are old ports. And all those are poor games as well. A better example would be PSABR, but that game bombed everywhere.

(My) point being still, that PSP is Vita's biggest obstacle.

If Sony kills the PSP right now like Nintendo killed the Wii and DS, the 3DS is the one that would have an increased baseline, not the PSV IMO.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
I´m surprised that people are surprised that PSV didn´t completely falter this week. Especially since One Piece has been mentioned several times in prior threads as an "important" PSV title. Also looking at the releases this week it had one of the stongest weeks release wise since its release. Obviously a lot better than last weeks releases and the holiday was a nice extra. So in that context I think it´s a little funny to see that some can´t hold back their enthusiasm for merely 37k-41k units sold.

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 60.315 / NEW
Atelier Meruru Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 3 25.095 / NEW
Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 23.621 / NEW [/b]
Dead or Alive 5+ 13.291 / NEW [/b]
--------------------------------------------
Soul Sacrifice 15.488 / 137.006
90% of your posts are targeted at 'people' rather than a discussion. The other 10% are exactly the type of posts you never shut up about, example:

Yes, I agree that PS4 possibly won´t even sell as much as PS3 in Japan.
This is a statement said with zero substance, not even a single theory or explanation as to why you think that way. A complete troll post designed to get reactions out of people.

Could you just stop? Your contribution to these discussions are welcome and you make a lot of valid points but those of us who aren't on a 'side of the fence' find it intolerable to read the threads when it's full of this shit. See:

Don´t worry it will be a nice PS4 accessory.

When we found out Wii U had only mediocre launch numbers in France instead of outright horrible like the rest of the EU:
It´s funny to see all this "damage control" every time there is good news about Nintendo. But but France doesn´t count because...

Weird Nintendo domination fantasy posts:
The only coup Nintendo has left to do is getting the mainline Final Fantasy games on their system and the PS4 will be vitafied.

And finally:
lol I won´t waste my time looking after biased users post histories.
But I will. :)

By the way, what are everyone's expectations for DQ next week? I'd say that below 20k systems and 100k copies of the game should be the absolute minimum. There seems to be a vested effort to downplay the game, but it's far and away the most significant third party release we know of left for the system, it underperforming could have significant implications on future software announced from here on.

Most significant third-party release left for the system? It's a remake and we have Monster Hunter 4 coming soon in the summer.

EDIT: Oh wait, you were referring to DQX. Never mind, continue on.

I know this is just you guesstimating but is there any reason why you got May for Band Brothers? I just assumed it was still a TBA and would've assumed May too early? I am open to being completely wrong however!

No, only that it's a smaller game (I assume) and May seemed the best fit other than a double release month. I wouldn't have expected Tomodachi Collection in April either until they announced it, so I'm willing to be surprised.

Also, NoJ will also publish Lego City Undercover (Wii U, no confirmation on 3DS) and Rayman Legends in Japan, unless that fell through.

Most significant third-party release left for the system? It's a remake and we have Monster Hunter 4 coming soon in the summer.

The only other third parties announced for Japan right now are the Revelations up-port and Injustice: Gods Among Us. MH4 is 3DS.

serplux

I'd be fine with Iwata leaving. As a gamer, his Nintendo has been marked by underpowered platforms which have severely limited the software library of their home consoles, and the complete death of original character driven IPs.

This is the guy who programmed Earthbound from scratch in its entirety when it was going to be canned. The guy who compressed Pokemon Gold/Silver by hand with so much room left the entire Kanto region was added in. The guy who built the battle code of Pokemon Stadium without any of the crucial documents in a single week.

Maybe he shouldn't be the president, but I do not want him gone.

To change the usual WiiU, Vita topics... Am I the only one a bit disappointed by the DQVII remake performance?

It's the first time DQVII (best selling DQ until DQIX) had been remaked and it's probably going to end ~300k below the DQV PS2 sales. Also DQVR was 8190Y on PS2 vs the 6090Y that the DQVII remake costs.

Not that there's a better platform for DQ games at the moment, though.
I am too actually - but that's mainly because I wanted it to do better than the lazy DQVIr but instead it's doing worse. The sales still remain the same range of DQ remakes, and it's already over IVr for PS1. Vr for PS2 sold extremely well even for a DQ remake but it also had a DQVIII promotional disc packaged with it that probably added a few extra sales since DQVIII was also scheduled for that year.

90% of your posts are targeted at 'people' rather than a discussion. The other 10% are exactly the type of posts you never shut up about, example:

This is a statement said with zero substance, not even a single theory or explanation as to why you think that why. A complete troll post designed to get reactions out of people.

Could you just stop? Your contribution to these discussions are welcome and you make a lot of valid points but those of us who aren't on a 'side of the fence' find it intolerable to read the threads when it's full of this shit. See:

When we found out Wii U had only mediocre launch numbers in France instead of outright horrible like the rest of the EU:

Weird Nintendo domination fantasy posts:

And finally:

But I will. :)

^^^^ HAHAHAHAH god damn

This is the guy who programmed Earthbound from scratch in its entirety when it was going to be canned. The guy who compressed Pokemon Gold/Silver by hand with so much room left the entire Kanto region was added in. The guy who built the battle code of Pokemon Stadium without any of the crucial documents in a single week.

Maybe he shouldn't be the president, but I do not want him gone.

Great qualities for a developer, but not necessarily for president.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Most of Nintendo's business is during the 4th quarter. Honestly, that's really all that matters. If Q4 goes really well for them this year, they will easily make their $1 billion profit. 3D Mario, Mario Kart, and a very dense 3DS release schedule will make it very easy for them.

It's difficult to imagine now, but this is 3DS's peak year, and Pokemon X/Y and 3D Mario/ Mario Kart for Wii U will make all the difference in the world come November/ December.

I will admit I forgot about Pokemon Sex, but unless 3D Mario suddenly becomes more popular than NSMB in Japan I don't think it will drive units as NSMB certainly didn't. Kart U might help though.

I think that, as long as they can stem the Wii U bleeding, 3DS and software will propel them over that mark. Within the next financial year, Nintendo will have Pokemon, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Mario and Luigi, Tomodatchi Collection, worldwide Animal Crossing, rumoured Smash Bros. and possible unannounced Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/whatever titles on the slate. Starting next month, it's probably the biggest concerted push for Nintendo software we've seen in a span of 12 months.

The issue is I just think Nintendo's putting too much hope into a relaunch type situation where the games suddenly explode on the platform. Square's making the same mistake with FFXIV.

Now, the 3DS was able to be saved because Nintendo's always been a big portable player. People in Japan were willing to give it a 2nd chance. But they lost a LOT of rep. with console core gamers in Japan who stuck with PlayStation. The Wii U needed to hit the ground running. Instead it jumped and fell face first into the dirt like a flamingo, and it needs to dig its head out somehow, which is less likely in the home console space.

BriBri

No, only that it's a smaller game (I assume) and May seemed the best fit other than a double release month. I wouldn't have expected Tomodachi Collection in April either until they announced it, so I'm willing to be surprised.

Also, NoJ will also publish Lego City Undercover (Wii U, no confirmation on 3DS) and Rayman Legends in Japan, unless that fell through.
Thanks. It's actually hard to pick a 'safe' month to release a game with Monster Hunter probably August and Pokemon October. Still May sees Shin Megami Tensei and Donkey Kong as competition (and still the Animal Crossing and probably Tomodachi Collection hangovers). Not the worst business predicament to be in however.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Just noticed this now.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

01./00. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 280.151 / NEW

Famitsu Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

01./00. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 301.080 / NEW

We know MC don't count download card sales, while Famitsu does. So, could we say that Luigi's Mansion 2 sold around 20k copies thorugh download cards?

Top Bottom