• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 13, 2013 (Mar 25 - Mar 31)

extralite

Of course it's not a fact - it never happend! That's why I said that it was my argument (or my opinion, if you will). I just find it funny that you agree that my argument is likely true, and yet we've been going back and forth about that opinion of mine for far too long now, ha ha...
But you tried to put graphics out of the equation. And failed in doing so. I successfully defended my statement.

Dalthien

But you tried to put graphics out of the equation. And failed in doing so. I successfully defended my statement.

But I never put graphics out of the equation. I was just saying that the graphical qualities of FFXIII were not the reason that FFXIII was the best-selling game on PS3. It was the best-selling game on PS3 because it was a mainline FF game. The graphics certainly helped bring in sales. But if we both agree that a less graphically focused FFXIII would have likely still been the best-selling game on PS3, then the brand carried more of the weight for FFXIII than the graphics of the game did.

By the way, you got it partly right - I obviously failed at something in this discussion. This all seems like Logic 101 - so I must be missing something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So how bad is this going to be for the localization of DQX Wii U in EN?

so bad

it was on Amazon.fr, so there's a decent chance.

extralite

But if we both agree that a less graphically focused FFXIII would have likely still been the best-selling game on PS3, then the brand carried more of the weight for FFXIII than the graphics of the game did.
A less graphically focused FFXIII might still have looked better as or on par with everything else on PS3. If FFXIII would have looked like shit I doubt it would be the best selling PS3 game.

You're again trying to argue that FF's brand strength is separate from graphics. It is not.

Dalthien

A less graphically focused FFXIII might still have looked better as or on par with everything else on PS3. If FFXIII would have looked like shit I doubt it would be the best selling PS3 game.

You're again trying to argue that FF's brand strength is separate from graphics. It is not.

I'll just repeat what I said earlier in the thread:

"In the end, I think we're just focusing on different timeframes. You're saying that FFXIII was the PS3 best-seller because of the past focus on graphics. I took you to mean that FFXIII was the PS3 best-seller because of XIII's focus on graphics. Two different things."

If your argument is that the stunning graphics of prior FF games helped build the brand - absolutely. We agree, which I agreed with you about previously.

As I explained, I took your comment to be referring instead to the graphics of FFXIII in particular - in which case the graphics could have been lessened (and no, I don't mean look like shit - ha ha - just anything that wouldn't look out-of-place on the platform) and the game could have still topped everything else on the system - in which case it wasn't the graphics of FFXIII in particular that were responsible for the chart-topping position.

Maybe I mistook your comments, and you were indeed referring to the graphics from previous games being the cause for FF's strong brand coming into FFXIII. I suspect that's why this is proving to be such a baffling conversation.

Edit - In any case - probably best to continue this in PM if you want to keep going with it. This is really starting to shit up the thread.

extralite

"In the end, I think we're just focusing on different timeframes. You're saying that FFXIII was the PS3 best-seller because of the past focus on graphics. I took you to mean that FFXIII was the PS3 best-seller because of XIII's focus on graphics. Two different things."

Actually I'd argue both. Past graphical achievement made it big and keeping up that level of pushing hardware Square has relied on since late SNES age is what maintained those sales. I don't see the need to pretend something suddenly changed this gen, this is a consistent and continuous phenomenon.

Dalthien

Actually I'd argue both. Past graphical achievement made it big and keeping up that level of pushing hardware Square has relied on since late SNES age is what maintained those sales. I don't see the need to pretend something suddenly changed this gen, this is a consistent and continuous phenomenon.

Moved to PM. Check your PM if you wish to continue.

And we still don't know what's coming up for the holidays. :p

Pokemon should be the biggest title scheduled for Q3/Q4 along with MH4, shouldn't it?
Aside from that, other releases may be SMTIV and Donkey Kong country, am I missing something else?

I reckon it's pretty robust a line-up by now, although it's not definitive.

Dalthien

Pokemon should be the biggest title scheduled for Q3/Q4 along with MH4, shouldn't it?
Aside from that, other releases may be SMTIV and Donkey Kong country, am I missing something else?

SMTIV should be Q2. But Mario & Luigi should be Q3 as well.

serplux

I think we're still missing a million seller or two (or close to it) that's going to be for this holiday. Plus we don't know what third-parties might have in store.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sure graphics can help sales in a small way, but for the same price of production you could lower graphics a small amount and add more content, potentially selling more depending on the content.
That is true. I think it will depend much on the game as well. Good graphics can add to the atmoshpere, making it more enjoyable. Depends on what the developers are going for when making a game.

And we still don't know what's coming up for the holidays. :p
Is there anything big that could come out this holiday season that we dont know about? Thinking about it, i guess Zelda is the only thing.

EDIT: I'm mostly thinking about 1st party games.

There is still people trying to say that MH3G was a bomb or, at least, that it underperformed. Crazy. Also because after one year and almost an a half, the title is still charting, a clear sign that the game succeeded in bringing the fanbase on 3DS. That was its aim; being an updated porting, doing about 2 million units is basically all profits for Capcom.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I imagine those who still says MH ultimate underperformed are either extremely bad at sales analyze, or is still feeling bitter that it went to the 3DS. It surpassed capcom's sales forecast by a wide margin and NOE even tweet an apology for running out of MH ultimate stocks in Europe recently. I fail to see what is the basis for saying it underperformed.

There is still people trying to say that MH3G was a bomb or, at least, that it underperformed. Crazy. Also because after one year and almost an a half, the title is still charting, a clear sign that the game succeeded in bringing the fanbase on 3DS. That was its aim; being an updated porting, doing about 2 million units is basically all profits for Capcom.

In fact 3DS version alone should have already outsold Tri by now - that has allegedly sold roughly 2M worldwide -, especially considering it has just launched in EU/NA its LTD is bound to grow bigger. and it may eventually reach 3 M mark worldwide, even without taking into accout Wii U version's sales.

Nekki

Ever since the Vita regaining some footing and the Wii U debacle, these threads end up being crazy on the back end.

This week seems to be crazy monster hunter edition, lol.

Bruno MB

Talking about Capcom.

Don't you think it's surprising that after Lost Planet 3 which is going to be released in June, they don't have any major console game announced yet.

test_account

XP-39C²
Talking about Capcom.

Don't you think it's surprising that after Lost Planet 3 which is going to be released in June, they don't have any major console game announced yet.
They have Deep Down. Depends if that game is being defined as a major console game or not though.

hiska-kun

Media Create:

02./00. [PSP] Fate/Extra CCC # <RPG> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.03.28} (¥6.279) - 72.883 / NEW <81,30%>

--

21./00. [PSP] Megpoid the Music # <ACT> (ParaPhray) {2013.03.28} (¥6.090)
22./07. [PS3] Disgaea D2 # <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2013.03.20} (¥7.140)
23./21. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Fighters of Eden <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.02.07} (¥6.090)
24./08. [3DS] Pretty Rhythm: My Deco Rainbow Wedding <ACT> (Takara Tomy) {2013.03.20} (¥6.279)
25./19. [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f <ACT> (Sega) {2013.03.07} (¥7.329)
26./22. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Legacy of Civilization A <ADV> (Level 5) {2013.02.28} (¥5.500)
27./28. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 <RCE> (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800)
28./18. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 # <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2013.02.28} (¥7.560)
29./00. [PSP] Starry Sky: After Summer Portable # <ADV> (Honeybee) {2013.03.28} (¥3.129)
30./27. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) <ACT> (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800)
31./11. [PSV] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 <SPT> (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥7.980)
32./29. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon to Fushigi na Orb <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040)
33./25. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan <ADV> (FuRyu) {2013.03.07} (¥5.229)
34./24. [PS3] Far Cry 3 <ACT> (Ubisoft) {2013.03.07} (¥7.770)
35./00. [PSP] Princess Arthur # <ADV> (Idea Factory) {2013.03.28} (¥6.090)
36./00. [PSP] Gaku Ou: The Royal Seven Stars + Meteor # <ADV> (Alchemist) {2013.03.28} (¥7.140)
37./10. [PSV] Atelier Meruru Plus: The Alchemist of Arland 3 # <RPG> (Gust) {2013.03.20} (¥6.090)
38./32. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Super Deluxe Edition # <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040)
39./35. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985)
40./34. [3DS] Paper Mario: Sticker Star <ADV> (Nintendo) {2012.12.06} (¥4.800)
41./00. [PS3] Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2013.03.28} (¥7.665)
42./31. [PSV] Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus: Otome Shoujotachi no Shoumei # <ACT> (Marvelous AQL) {2013.02.28} (¥6.980)
43./00. [PSP] Shinigami Kagyou: Kaidan Romance # <ADV> (QuinRose) {2013.03.28} (¥6.300)
44./39. [3DS] Super Mario 3D Land # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2011.11.03} (¥4.800)
45./00. [360] Final Fantasy XI: Seekers of Adoulin <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.27} (¥3.980)
46./38. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Shijou Saikyou no Hunter-Tachi Kara Nigekire! <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040)
47./33. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2: Special Package <RPG> (Sega) {2013.02.28} (¥5.229)
48./40. [3DS] Touch Detective: Nameko Shigeru <PZL> (Success) {2013.02.28} (¥3.990)
49./44. [NDS] Pokèmon Black 2 / White 2 <RPG> (Pokèmon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800)
50./00. [PSP] Rebellions: Secret Game 2nd Stage # <ADV> (Yeti) {2013.03.28} (¥6.090)

Top 50

3DS - 16
PSP - 11
PSV - 8
PS3 - 8
WIU - 3
WII – 2
NDS – 1
360 - 1

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  1.023.000 |  1.547.000 |  1.057.000 | 13.041.000 | 12.664.000 |

Spiegel

Talking about Capcom.

They released RE6 and DmC not six months ago. And they are releasing Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, RE:R, Lost Planet 3 and have Sengoku Basara 4 and a next gen game announced.

I don't think it's surprising. Their major console games are going nextgen and it takes time to make them. Meanwhile PS3 and 3DS will get smaller games and Monster Hunter.

Bruno MB

They have Deep Down. Depends if that game is being defined as a major console game or not though.

I was thinking about current gen so I forgot about Deep Down. But yes, that's definitely a big console game.

They recently announced Sengoku Basara 4 and they will publish Remember Me so well, at least they have some projects but nothing too important.

They released RE6 and DmC not six months ago. And they are releasing Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, RE:R, Lost Planet 3 and have Sengoku Basara 4 and a next gen game announced.

I don't think it's surprising. Their major console games are going nextgen and it takes time to make them. Meanwhile PS3 and 3DS will get smaller games and Monster Hunter.

So I'd better lose the faith in seeing a new Dino Crisis or Onimusha title for the current gen of consoles :(

So, has the fact that DQX is the top download of all time on the Wii U eshop been brought up in this thread? (Game & Wario is 6 btw, behind Nano Assault)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So, has the fact that DQX is the top download of all time on the Wii U eshop been brought up in this thread? (Game & Wario is 6 btw, behind Nano Assault)

How can you tell it's the top download of all time?

Bruno MB

first day sellthrough

Ninja Gaiden - 50-60%
Farming Simulator - ...

Ninja Gaiden 3 sold 47.476 LTD (PS3), I wonder how this enhanced version will do.

The Wii U version debuted so pathetically bad that even got outsold by Ninja Gaiden &#931; 2 Plus.

Sounds new to me, and would put things into a more positive perspective, although we should have some official numbers.

By any chance do we have any data about DD sales of Mario Wii U and MHU as a reference?

Poor GUMI. They want you to be Miku but it just isn't happening. I hope they eventually put her into the Project DIVA games, she has a lot of good songs.

Thorgal

Not to dis the wii u but knowing its predicament and what is currently out for it doesnt make the fact that DQ is the highest downloaded title exactly mindblowing.

Sounds new to me, and would put things into a more positive perspective, although we should have some official numbers.

By any chance do we have any data about DD sales of Mario Wii U and MHU as a reference?

No, I don't believe we do at this point.

Not to dis the wii u but knowing its predicament and what is currently out for it doesnt make the fact that DQ is the highest downloaded title exactly mindblowing.

No, but the fact that it is the most downloaded title says it might have done a bit better than the retail sales suggest, but it's hard to say without exact numbers, or even a reference point for the other titles.

Get your facts right. They predicted 1.2M by March 31 2012, the end of FY2011. Actual sales were 1.3M.
When Monster Hunter 4 was originally planned for release March this year, they had predicted 2M sales by March 31 2013, the end of FY2012.

You've been around way too long to peddle this kind of BS unknowingly

Seeing how Mario Wii U and MH3U have sold respectively 500k and 200k copies and have been out for a while, whereas DQX Wii U has released for just a couple of weeks, so that would be unexpected and telling on how the game has been faring better than suggested by this week's charts, albeit it's pretty much only guesswork unless we have some numbers.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was thinking about current gen so I forgot about Deep Down. But yes, that's definitely a big console game.

They recently announced Sengoku Basara 4 and they will publish Remember Me so well, at least they have some projects but nothing too important.
I forgot about Sengoku Basara 4 :) That is probably one of the last Capcom console game for this generation's consoles, i would guess.

A portable Kirby may well be on the slate as well. That series did big numbers on DS.
Kirby is a good candidate, i forgot about that. It is probbly more likely to see a Kirby release instead of a Zelda release this holiday.

synce

Ouch... DOA5+ debuted with 10K copies sold last week and didn't even chart this week. Lesson learned: if you're going to sell "Plus" editions, at least include the damn DLC.

Dragon

Banned
No, but the fact that it is the most downloaded title says it might have done a bit better than the retail sales suggest, but it's hard to say without exact numbers, or even a reference point for the other titles.

Unless you have actual numbers I don't think it's that relevant. I know people try to mention Vita's 30% digital sales and yeah lack of numbers makes it hard in a thread like this.

Kirby is a good candidate, i forgot about that. It is probbly more likely to see a Kirby release instead of a Zelda release this holiday.

Nintendo has a packed release schedule for 3DS in 2013, without counting that it might well slow down given how many third parties games ther are. Here:

April: Tomodachi Collection
May: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D ?
June: Band Brothers ?
July: Mario Golf ?
August: Mario and Luigi ?
September:
October: Pokémon X / Y
November: Kirby ?
December:

Top Bottom